PDA

View Full Version : Don’t Bet On DE Cameron Heyward Opening The Season As A Starter

stillers4me
05-19-2013, 10:24 AM
With Pittsburgh Steelers defensive end Cameron Heyward now entering his third season in the league, many believe that he will open the 2013 season as a starter, but I wouldn't be so quick to bet on that happening.

Even though Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette posted this week in his online chat that he's been told Heyward is already better than starting left defensive end Ziggy Hood, and that he will be given an opportunity to unseat Hood in training camp, the fact remains that Heyward is probably best suited to play on the right side which is currently being manned by veteran Brett Keisel.............

read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/05/dont-bet-on-steelers-de-cameron-heyward-opening-the-season-as-a-starter/

GBMelBlount
05-19-2013, 05:39 PM
The light better come on for Hood this year or we are going to have a serious need at DE.

steelreserve
05-19-2013, 07:25 PM
I'd rather give a chance to a good player slightly out of position than a crappy player at his preferred position. The good player is more likely to adapt and still be good than the crappy player is to suddenly improve 100% out of the blue.

I'm afraid we're going to need to look at DEs again this offseason no matter what, because we know Old man Keisel doesn't have much longer, and Hood hasn't really shown he can get the job done.

Shoes
05-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Hood is very disappointing for a 1st rounder going on his 4th year....

Mojouw
05-19-2013, 10:07 PM
But Ziggy played guitar...?

Shoes
05-19-2013, 10:57 PM

No, the french horn... :chuckle:

tube517
05-20-2013, 09:45 AM

:rofl2:
No backup from the spiders from Mars

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 2

Steeldude
05-20-2013, 02:10 PM
:toofunny: Who expected Heyward to start at any point in the season? I would be surprised to see him play more than last year

steelreserve
05-20-2013, 05:58 PM
:toofunny: Who expected Heyward to start at any point in the season? I would be surprised to see him play more than last year

I did, if he was better than Hood ... and let's face it, the bar isn't exactly very high.

Seven
05-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Hood is better than people think. So is Al Woods. And Heyward has a ton of upside. We obviously don't have an Aaron Smith in the bunch right now, but between the three of them I'm pretty confident we'll be fine opposite as well as behind Kiesel.

steelerdude15
05-20-2013, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I figured he wouldn't start with Keisel still here.

Psycho Ward 86
05-20-2013, 11:07 PM
if cameron doesnt start, he's either a bust, or a a severely late bloomer like jason babin or alex smith. Frustrating to say the least...the fact that he might not start because of who's playing on what side lmao

X-Terminator
05-21-2013, 12:51 PM
The hell with who is playing where, if Heyward is good enough to start, he should be out there. I'm tired of the way this team manages their young players. Give the young guys a chance to show what they can do, and not for 5 or 6 snaps a game either. How the fuck do they expect them to develop if they only play a few snaps a game?

Edman
05-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Not surprised. Remember how much Hood rotted on the Bench behind Aaron Smith in 2011 despite playing very well in 2010?

Then, when we unsurprisingly discovered that Smith just couldn't play anymore, Hood finally got his shot. Remember how much Steve McClendon sat on the bench?

This team is deathly afraid of starting young talent.

Count Steeler
05-21-2013, 04:13 PM
The hell with who is playing where, if Heyward is good enough to start, he should be out there. I'm tired of the way this team manages their young players. Give the young guys a chance to show what they can do, and not for 5 or 6 snaps a game either. How the fuck do they expect them to develop if they only play a few snaps a game?

:applaudit: I thought Rooney wanted an improved development strategy on the young players. So far, this coaching staff has failed. IMO.

steeldawg
05-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Not surprised. Remember how much Hood rotted on the Bench behind Aaron Smith in 2011 despite playing very well in 2010?

Then, when we unsurprisingly discovered that Smith just couldn't play anymore, Hood finally got his shot. Remember how much Steve McClendon sat on the bench?

This team is deathly afraid of starting young talent.

Difference is smith was a beast when he was healthy, keisel while I like him is not really a dominate player, I say if heyward can come out and be an impact guy let him play.

Psycho Ward 86
05-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Difference is smith was a beast when he was healthy, keisel while I like him is not really a dominate player, I say if heyward can come out and be an impact guy let him play.

which he wasnt

tube517
05-21-2013, 07:06 PM

This.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 2

KeiselPower99
05-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Hood actually hasnt been horrible but he isnt Aaron Smith.