PDA

View Full Version : For Iginla, the move to Pittsburgh has been a change for the better

stillers4me
05-18-2013, 11:53 AM
“Weird.”

That’s how it felt the first time to Jarome Iginla. First time he pulled the Pittsburgh Penguins jersey over his head and knew there would be no ‘C’ over one of hockey’s greatest hearts, first time he skated out onto the ice of Consol Energy Center and knew, for certain, he was no longer captain of the Calgary Flames and playing in front of the familiar, almost family, crowd at Calgary’s Scotiabank Saddledome.

Weird is also how it felt to Ray Shero. The general manager of the Penguins had been sitting in his office late in the evening of March 27. He was flipping stations, turning from the Flames’ game against the Colorado Avalanche – where Iginla had been tellingly kept out of the lineup – and TSN, the Canadian sports network that was “confirming” that Jarome Iginla, 16 years a Calgary Flame, nine years the team captain, was now a member of the Boston Bruins.

“All I know is I was still talking to [Flames general manager] Jay Feaster,” Shero says. “I was in my office by myself watching Calgary play and I’m talking to Jay.”............

Read more @ http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/for-iginla-the-move-to-pittsburgh-has-been-a-change-for-the-better/article12007478/?service=mobile