PDA

View Full Version : Bunghole Harrison motivated by Steelers

Moose
05-14-2013, 05:37 PM
James Harrison joins Cincinnati Bengals, motivated by Pittsburgh

James Harrison
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Regular Photo Size
Advertisement

ShareThis
Posted: 4:54 PM

•By: JOE KAY AP Sports Writer
CINCINNATI (AP) - Linebacker James Harrison is bringing his impressive career and his sizeable training staff to Cincinnati, motivated in part by the way things ended in Pittsburgh.

Harrison signed with the Bengals as a free agent last month after he and the Steelers couldn't agree on how to restructure his contract. Pittsburgh let the former NFL defensive player of the year leave as part of its move to get under the salary cap.

Harrison worked out with his new teammates on Tuesday. He said it was a definite change to be in the Bengals locker room. He also acknowledged that he's motivated to some degree by how things ended in Cincinnati.

The Bengals' first home game next season is on a Monday night against Pittsburgh.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published,

Read more: http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/sports/football/bengals/harrison-joins-bengals-motivated-by-pittsburgh#ixzz2TJFn2qeI

stillers4me
05-14-2013, 05:38 PM
If he's upset at anyone it should be his agent.

Moose
05-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Exactly ! But what I'm pissed about is all of the info he's going to 'share' with our rivals. He's going to try his best to change their way of doing things into the way we do things.

st33lersguy
05-14-2013, 06:25 PM
That's not good, that will make Harrison even more tough to block against the Steelers

zulater
05-14-2013, 06:28 PM
That's not good, that will make Harrison even more tough to block against the Steelers

If he stays healthy. It's been awhile since he played a strong 16 games. At 35 the chances of him ending his recent spell of injury riddled seasons seems remote.

Moose
05-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Here's MORE....

We never laid a hand on James Harrison. We didn’t have the time.

We bull-rushed him, we came off the edge. We heathen media were like a speed-reader in one of those radio ads for credit cards. Harrison has nimble feet, though. His quick release from the media room at PBS was Marino-esque. Now we know what Harrison must feel like, trying to sack Peyton Manning.

"One minute,’’ Bengals PR guy Jack Brennan said, exactly nine minutes after he’d said we had 10 minutes to talk to the newest Bengal. Brennan looked like was timing a 40-yard dash. He was on it. Ten minutes, people. Not a second more. Problem is, James Harrison is way too complex a guy to tackle in 10 minutes. Ten years, maybe.

It was like defining the life of Jackie Robinson, in a Tweet.

Here’s what we got from Harrison, in the lightning round:

“Nothing’s ever been given to me.’’

“I’m focused, intense and violent. It’s a violent game.’’

“My body helps me make money.’’

“I probably haven’t felt this good since 2008 or 2009.’’

“You want to stay in this business for awhile, you’re going to have to take care of your body. If you want to do that, you’re going to have to spend money. It’s not cheap.’’

“I spend between $400,000 and $600,000 on body work, year in and year out.’’

He wasn’t talking about detailing his vehicles. Harrison meant his own body.

Someone asked him his view on Andy Dalton. “I don’t have a view. Next question.’’

O-o-o-o-ne minute. . .

“I tried out maybe 150 different massage people. Now I’m down to five. I got six people I regularly see.’’ A chiropractor, he said. An acupuncturist, a homeopathic doctor, a trainer and all those masseuses. They live with him during the season.

If Harrison’s body were a temple, it’d be the Mormon. Or Machu Picchu.

Maybe one of these days, we’ll get more than a speed-rush with Cincinnati’s free-agent splash. We could ask him about his feud with Roger Goodell or about what he thinks of the Steeler Way, or his true feelings about Ben Roethlisberger. We could ask him about his biography, titled "Never Give Up," and how being the youngest of 14 children defined who he became.

Wait. Harrison answered that last one. Sort of.

“I’m like eight years removed from the next sibling. Wasn’t nobody eating no more baby food. I had all the jars to myself.’’

I talked with his co-author Tuesday. I asked Bill Moushey for a story that would tell us who Harrison is. “His relentless pursuit of a career in the NFL sums up who he is,’’ said Moushey.

Harrison walked on at Kent State. He signed as a rookie free agent with the Steelers. They cut him. The Ravens signed him, then cut him, too, even before they gave him a look-see in training camp. It’s not coincidence Harrison has had some beastly games against Baltimore.

He went to the World Football League, but got homesick and left before the season ended. Pittsburgh gave him another shot. The rest is a Hall of Fame moment. After Harrison made his fame, the commissioner tried to take it from him. At least that’s Harrison’s version. No player has been more heavily fined for hits.

He’s in Cincinnati because the Steelers wanted him back, but not enough to pay him what he was due. He declined to take a pay cut. The boulder does not leave his shoulder, and that is a good thing. “To say it doesn’t motivate me in some sense would be a lie,’’ Harrison said.

He’s a good teammate. He’s a weight-room fanatic. He will be a good example for the Bengals young players. If he’s in as good of shape as he says, he will add a presence and an edge to what is already an accomplished defense, it not a feared one. Even if it remains to be seen how Mike Zimmer will use Harrison. Harrison played every down in Pittsburgh, every year he was able. He won’t here.

That doesn’t mean Harrison can’t have a big impact. His career has been defined by what he has had to earn, and what he feels the NFL has tried to take from him. Even at age 35, he has points to prove.

Oh, and he loves to hunt.

That’s it, for now. Not bad for 10 minutes

fansince'76
05-14-2013, 08:25 PM
If he stays healthy. It's been awhile since he played a strong 16 games. At 35 the chances of him ending his recent spell of injury riddled seasons seems remote.

Perhaps, but it's not exactly like we have Anthony Muņoz protecting Ben's blind side either.

ALLD
05-14-2013, 08:40 PM
He didn't want to take a pay cut to stay in Pitt, but he took one to go to Cinci? Are those the facts?

fansince'76
05-14-2013, 08:58 PM
He didn't want to take a pay cut to stay in Pitt, but he took one to go to Cinci? Are those the facts?

Not exactly. He wasn't willing to take a pay cut in Pittsburgh as he was led to believe that other teams would be lining up to pay top dollar for his services. He quickly found out differently.

As stillers4me said, if he's going to be pissed at anybody, he needs to be pissed at his agent.

Shoes
05-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Accepting complements from *Pacman Jone*, wearing a Bengal jersey and taking a larger pay cut.......good luck with that motivation....James.

GBMelBlount
05-15-2013, 05:22 AM
I would not be upset if his back acted up this season.

86WARD
05-15-2013, 06:20 AM
He probably won't play much in the preseason and he faces the vaunted Steelers O-Line early on...he'll most likely be as healthy as he's gonna be.

NCSteeler
05-15-2013, 09:14 AM
My season prediction, he nails 3-4 sacks on Ben in their home opener and spends the rest of the season with nagging injuries for a grand total of 5-6 sacks

Dwinsgames
05-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Harrison worked out with his new teammates on Tuesday. He said it was a definite change to be in the Bengals locker room. He also acknowledged that he's motivated to some degree by how things ended in Cincinnati.

proof reading is a lost art with the media

cold-hard-steel
05-15-2013, 10:05 AM
I ain't cryin over spilled milk . It is what it is , and will be how it's gonna be . Don't know what else to say but good luck James .

NJarhead
05-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Wait, "motivated?"

Didn't the Steelers make him an offer as good or better than the one he signed with Cincy?

:huh:

fansince'76
05-15-2013, 10:37 AM
The 35-year-old linebacker left Pittsburgh as a free agent, unable to agree on a restructured contract to help the Steelers get under the salary cap. He chose Cincinnati because it's been in the playoffs each of the last two seasons and it's close to his home, which is still in Pittsburgh.

...and because the Bengals were the ONLY team to show any interest whatsoever (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151519/article/teams-staying-away-from-free-agent-james-harrison). :coffee:

Unable to find a single person willing to admit an interest in Harrison, King believes the 34-year-old will have to settle for less than half of the $6.57 million he was scheduled to earn with the Steelers.

GoSlash27
05-15-2013, 09:06 PM
I ain't gonna hate on Deebo. Agent / contract issues notwithstanding, he'll always be a Steeler to me.

fansince'76
05-15-2013, 09:17 PM
I ain't gonna hate on Deebo. Agent / contract issues notwithstanding, he'll always be a Steeler to me.

I'm not hating on him, either. I'm just growing extremely tired of the media playing the "revenge" angle as the reason for his signing with Cincy rather than the plain and simple fact that nobody else wanted his services.

GoSlash27
05-15-2013, 09:22 PM
I'm not hating on him, either. I'm just growing extremely tired of the media playing the "revenge" angle as the reason for his signing with Cincy rather than the plain and simple fact that nobody else wanted his services.

I totally understand, and you're right. As usual, selling copy makes more money than getting the story right.

bleedsteel
05-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Move on... Nothing to see here...
Yes, James is one bad ass linebacker, and I personally believe he has one or two more good seasons left in his tank.
I also understand why we couldn`t afford to pay him, and wanna see what we can do with Worillds, and now, Jones..
I still respect the hell outta James, for his style of play, and his honesty in interviews...
"My job is to HURT people, not INJURE them", etc, etc...
I love "Deebo", but I hope our kids find a way to pancake him a few times when we face off...
Not an easy task, whether he`s 35 years old, or not...
(Maybe we can just hold him, or does that only work for other teams?)
Probably my fave Steeler since Lambert.
Lloyd was pretty close, too...
Harrison`s statement that he was "motivated" to play against the Steelers, was taken way out of context, in a press conference, when he met his new team, and their media...
He also gave credit to Dick LeBeau, and said, if it wasn`t for him, he wouldn`t be here, right now.
He was honest enough, however, to mention, that, "If I said it didn`t motivate me a little to play against them, that would be a lie"...
Lemme see if I can find the clip..
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/James-Harrison-Press-Conference-Transcript/87b47bb4-e812-4dad-9f3b-df29b9cfa52d
Sorry, It`s from a Bungle site, But I like hearing James be James...
Now let`s hope our kids on the O-line can keep him offa Ben for the next 2 years! I think they can, or Ben will run, but it ain`t gonna be easy!
GO STEELERS!

Galax Steeler
05-16-2013, 05:04 AM
Hopefully Harrison won't be to rough on Ben if he gets a chance.:chuckle:

CantStop85
05-18-2013, 06:34 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/34781146.jpg

stillers4me
05-18-2013, 07:39 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/34781146.jpg

:lol:

Wanna borrow my sig?

cold-hard-steel
05-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Many of our beloved left us for their own future . They never took long to realize at heart they were still Steelers . Franco to Seatle , if i remember correctly was in the afc at the time , Rod went else where , Allen , and the list goes on .We never really suffered that badly from letting a player decide their own future . Rock on James ole boy !!!!!!!!!!!!