PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones has “no idea” if Steelers see him as their future quarterback

polamalubeast
05-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Former (and possibly future) Steelers backup quarterback Charlie Batch has openly wondered whether the team drafted quarterback Landry Jones to eventually supplant starter Ben Roethlisberger.

Jones reacted to that notion with a smile and a shake of the head, per the Associated Press.

“I have no idea,” Jones said. “You might want to talk to the coaches or Mr. Rooney on that one, what they want to do. I’m just here to learn football. They give me an opportunity to come play.”

read more

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/07/landry-jones-has-no-idea-if-the-steelers-see-him-as-their-future-quarterback/

Psycho Ward 86
05-10-2013, 04:49 PM
i dont understand people who think Ben is lightyears away from not being a steeler. how long exactly are people expecting ben...

1) play out as a steeler?
2) play out as a steeler healthy?
3) play out as a steeler efficiently?

im not going past 35-36

stillers4me
05-10-2013, 04:51 PM
I find it a little hard to believe the Steelers dipped into a mediocre pool of QB's to replace a HoFer QB.

I hope he's a more than adequate backup and then used as trade bait in a few years. I'd also rather rather wait until Ben is done and suck for a year and get a real QB than suffer through a 20 year drought again.

Dwinsgames
05-10-2013, 05:08 PM
I would not be quick to discount Mr Jones talent level , many here a few short years ago would have traded Ben to the Rams for the right to draft Sam Bradford in a half a heart beat , Jones rewrote all or ( most of ) Bradford's records at Oklahoma .. the kid is no slouch and can play QB in this league ...

Many got off his bandwagon midway through 2013 but lets face it he was not exactly loaded with WR talent at Oklahoma and still managed a fairly successful year ( Oklahoma had more drops than perhaps any Collegiate team in 2013 )

just sayin

stillers4me
05-10-2013, 05:19 PM
I would not be quick to discount Mr Jones talent level , many here a few short years ago would have traded Ben to the Rams for the right to draft Sam Bradford in a half a heart beat , Jones rewrote all or ( most of ) Bradford's records at Oklahoma .. the kid is no slouch and can play QB in this league ...

Many got off his bandwagon midway through 2013 but lets face it he was not exactly loaded with WR talent at Oklahoma and still managed a fairly successful year ( Oklahoma had more drops than perhaps any Collegiate team in 2013 )

just sayin

I would love more than anything else to see Landry develop into the next franchise QB for us and make a smooth transition at the end of Ben's career with missing a beat ( or the playoffs).

I'm just not annoiting him heir to the throne as of yet.

Dwinsgames
05-10-2013, 06:17 PM
I would love more than anything else to see Landry develop into the next franchise QB for us and make a smooth transition at the end of Ben's career with missing a beat ( or the playoffs).

I'm just not annoiting him heir to the throne as of yet.

nobody ( IMO ) should ever be anointed all jobs should have to be earned , sure you can envision someone as the starter in waiting but until they prove in actual games that matter they are the real deal its nothing more than projections

zulater
05-10-2013, 06:34 PM
If I had to make a guess I'd say Landry Jones wont be the next "franchise quarterback" for the Steelers. I highly doubt he'll even be Ben's eventual successor. First he's got to earn the 2nd string job. If and when that occurrs then we can start to have this discussion perhaps?

ALLD
05-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Brings back memories of the Dynamic Duo of Bubby Brister and Todd Blackledge. Man, those were the good ol' days, just on the brink of the Kordell Stewart dynasty.

Dwinsgames
05-10-2013, 06:48 PM
If I had to make a guess I'd say Landry Jones wont be the next "franchise quarterback" for the Steelers. I highly doubt he'll even be Ben's eventual successor. First he's got to earn the 2nd string job. If and when that occurrs then we can start to have this discussion perhaps?

he will win the backup job , it probably wont be this year but he will win it next year in a fair open competition he is a superior talent to anyone not named Ben on the roster at QB but he is a rookie so he would have his work cut out for him this year an it is not like our coaching staff to move a youngster up the depth charts so suddenly if it is not forced upon them by injury circumstances ....

for me it is not a matter of if ... its a matter of when

GBMelBlount
05-10-2013, 07:24 PM
I would not be quick to discount Mr Jones talent level

Agreed....

How many quarterbacks in college have averaged 4000 yds passing and 30 TD's a year for 4 years?

How many quarterbacks have set school conference and national records for yards completions and attempts?

(Only one.)

Landry....was ranked 2nd with the most air Yards..only 20% of his passes were at or behind the line of scrimmage...

Jones completes 72% of passes 10-15 yards..

Landry doesn't suck at pressure.. He averaged 1 sack and 1 INT every 42 attempts..

No the OU Line was not that good as evidence by the running game and how many times it got bogged down in the red zone..

Landry is good at avoiding pressure - 2.44 sec snap to release average and is good at making quick decisions in his up tempo no huddle offense..

Yes Landry wasn't perfect and made mistakes..

Gruden was right he refused to give up on plays and needed to check down more..

If Landry had real fatal flaws they would have hindered him..

Landry has the the best size, arm strength, and accuracy combination of anyone in the draft...

---------------------------

4 yrs:

16646 yards
TDs 123

63% ave comp

YPA 7.5

39-11 as a starter

2 conference Chamionships

3 Bowl wins

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showt...ce-over-Nassib

zulater
05-10-2013, 07:28 PM
I've got nothing against Landry. I just doubt he'll make his mark in Pittsburgh if he's the real deal. Maybe he'll play 3 -7 games the next couple years in place of Ben. If he does good the Steelers will probably shop him for a 2nd round draft pick before his first contract is up.

I think Ben's got 5 more good years left. Too long to carry a true developmental prospect in this day and age. .

GBMelBlount
05-10-2013, 07:29 PM
I am pulling for Landry.

http://youtu.be/tZsOQy5kjQ8

Shoes
05-10-2013, 08:33 PM
A humble kid with talent.....there is no limit. May Landry and Ben be like peanut butter and jelly. :chuckle:

Dwinsgames
05-10-2013, 09:04 PM
A humble kid with talent.....there is no limit. May Landry and Ben be like peanut butter and jelly. :chuckle:

since their wives are close friends , Its my guess Ben takes Landry under his wing and grooms him for his day in the sun

stillers4me
05-10-2013, 09:12 PM
since their wives are close friends , Its my guess Ben takes Landry under his wing and grooms him for his day in the sun

I think it was Ben's sister that went to school with his wife. Carlee was in their wedding, but I don't think Ben actually knows them personally.

Dwinsgames
05-10-2013, 09:18 PM
I think it was Ben's sister that went to school with his wife. Carlee was in their wedding, but I don't think Ben actually knows them personally.

you may be right , but still a family tie of sorts

steelreserve
05-10-2013, 11:05 PM
I'd also rather rather wait until Ben is done and suck for a year and get a real QB than suffer through a 20 year drought again.

Why do people think that's automatically going to happen? Most of our problem was that we didn't even try to find a decent QB for 20 years. They're out there if you're not wearing blinders. And if even Moonball Joe over in Baltimore can win a Super Bowl by chucking the ball straight up in the air 35 times a game, the bar is not all that high.

GBMelBlount
05-11-2013, 06:22 AM
I've got nothing against Landry. I just doubt he'll make his mark in Pittsburgh if he's the real deal. Maybe he'll play 3 -7 games the next couple years in place of Ben. If he does good the Steelers will probably shop him for a 2nd round draft pick before his first contract is up.

I think Ben's got 5 more good years left. Too long to carry a true developmental prospect in this day and age. .

Fortunately we have 3 - 4 years to find out.

I am just not sure Ben will make it 5 more years with the beating he has taken the last decade.

...and I agree with D that we might see Ben take a special interest in Landry's development.

It's early but it is the off season and it's fun to shoot the sheet and speculate a bit.

zulater
05-11-2013, 06:38 AM
One thing, having Landry will make the pre season a lot more watchable. Very anxious to see how he does against NFL competition. Even a watered down version of NFL football can sometimes give you a clue. Also will be a must see at camp.

If he looks too good you wonder how Ben would react? All Ben's ever been around in the NFL is a bunch of broken down has been's or barely was's.

cold-hard-steel
05-11-2013, 11:00 AM
I don't know , but i just don't like that name . Jones is ok , or maybe Jonesy , but Landry ? How bout Laundry Jones or something ? I am kidding of course .

ALLD
05-11-2013, 12:07 PM
What about Tom Landry Jones?

GBMelBlount
05-11-2013, 01:13 PM
What about Tom Landry Jones?

Catchy :scratchchin:

Or how about Tom Brady Landry Jones.

43Hitman
05-12-2013, 07:46 AM
Catchy :scratchchin:

Or how about Tom Brady Landry Jones.

GB taking it to a whole new level. :lol:

katmandu
05-12-2013, 10:12 AM
I am just not sure Ben will make it 5 more years with the beating he has taken the last decade.x2.

Seven
05-13-2013, 10:00 PM
I've never been keen on taking a quarterback with the idea that you're going to groom him into a starter at some undisclosed point in the future. Especially when you have a franchise player, future hall of famer, unquestioned starter already on the roster. That said, Jones has plenty of upside. I like him. But we aren't going to see it in the regular season for a long, long time unless some big negative turn of events happens with Roethlisberger. Hell, Gradkoswki should be around for a couple years at least, too. Let's see how quickly he can rise to number two.

GBMelBlount
05-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Let's see how quickly he can rise to number two.

Nothing like watching a good number two rise either...:uhoh:

GodfatherofSoul
05-14-2013, 10:38 AM
I think Landry is a steal and I'd bet on him winning the #2 spot.