PDA

View Full Version : Starks prepared to part ways with Steelers

stillers4me
05-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Max Starks planned on spending a football-free weekend at Churchill Downs with his stylistic tan fedora hat perched on top of his head and enjoying his first Kentucky Derby.

Well, the football-free part of the weekend didn't actually go as planned.

Starks had a “couple of conversations” over the weekend with a few NFL organizations, including a brief telephone conversation with the Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/), and is anticipating getting a deal done with a team before organized team activities kick off around the league in two weeks.

One thing has become clear to Starks over the past couple days: He won't return for a 10th season with the Steelers.........

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3972378-74/starks-steelers-team#ixzz2SkamMjpM

salamander
05-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Definitely sucks. However, such is life in the NFL I guess. Best of luck to Max whatever the future brings him. I'll miss seeing him in a Steelers uniform.

ALLD
05-08-2013, 07:38 PM
He was inconsistent, but put in a very good effort this past season. He was only a 3rd round pick, but got lots of time on Sirius probably more for being a Steeler rather than for his quality of play. Good luck Max, hope you find a warm climate tem.

Count Steeler
05-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Thanks Max. Ben will have to give up his 78.

KeiselPower99
05-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Starks was probably the most consistent lineman we had last year. I really was hoping and still am that he returns.

GBMelBlount
05-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Between the 7 mil he cost us and the inconsistent performance I have not always been a fan of Starks.

However he finished strong.

Thank you for your service Mr. Starks.

zulater
05-08-2013, 10:00 PM
He had a nice Steeler career. A classy guy to boot. I wish him well. Hope he signs with the Chargers.

st33lersguy
05-10-2013, 12:45 AM
Good thing we signed Guy "the Whimp" Whimper to provide tackle depth, certainly makes up for the loss of Starks(sarcasm alert)

HollywoodSteel
05-10-2013, 04:44 PM
I really hate this. Not only was he dollar for dollar the best value the Steelers had last year, one thing that we can't overlook is that he has been a monster against Suggs the past couple of years, probably better than any other LT Suggs has faced. I haven't yet anyone else on our team prove that they can fill his shoes yet. I really hope I'm proven wrong about this.

I think not signing him to a reasonable two year deal last year was a huge mistake. They could have always cut him if he didn't come back strong from his injury.

Dwinsgames
05-10-2013, 05:02 PM
I really hate this. Not only was he dollar for dollar the best value the Steelers had last year, one thing that we can't overlook is that he has been a monster against Suggs the past couple of years, probably better than any other LT Suggs has faced. I haven't yet anyone else on our team prove that they can fill his shoes yet. I really hope I'm proven wrong about this.

I think not signing him to a reasonable two year deal last year was a huge mistake. They could have always cut him if he didn't come back strong from his injury.

this

stillers4me
05-10-2013, 05:22 PM
I always got the impression that Ben felt more secure having him there.

zulater
05-13-2013, 12:59 AM
I always got the impression that Ben felt more secure having him there.

Particularly when Jonathan Scott was option B! :chuckle:

Spike
05-13-2013, 07:49 AM
Run Ben Run!

When the Steelers added veteran tackle Guy Whimper on Monday, it signified the end of Starks' time with the Steelers

“Let me say this, had a conversation prior (to the Whimper signing), and that decision (to sign Whimper) was made after our conversation,” Starks said.

terrible news

86WARD
05-15-2013, 06:26 AM
Signing Whimper had zero to do with Starks.

Dwinsgames
05-21-2013, 10:17 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000205187/article/max-starks-san-diego-chargers-strike-contract

its official Max's days of protecting Ben's blind side are now over , signs deal with depleted Chargers Line

Seven
05-21-2013, 10:17 PM
I think Max will do well in San Diego.

Chidi29
05-21-2013, 10:21 PM
I know he and Ben had a great relationship and I have to give Starks credit for always stepping into the lineup but he was a below average pass protector. It was really time to move on, especially if we're going to move towards more of a ZBS scheme. 360 pound lineman usually don't fit in.

zulater
05-22-2013, 12:37 AM
I know he and Ben had a great relationship and I have to give Starks credit for always stepping into the lineup but he was a below average pass protector. It was really time to move on, especially if we're going to move towards more of a ZBS scheme. 360 pound lineman usually don't fit in.

He wasn't below average. He was at least average if not slightly above. And he's a helluva sight better than Whimple, or whatever his name is.

Spike
05-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Signing Whimper had zero to do with Starks.

like we have money to burn

and who is Gilbert's back-up at LT gonna be?

Seven
05-22-2013, 08:12 AM

My guess right now would be Adams. And Beachum or Whimper take over at RT. But Gilbert hasn't won the LT job yet.

zulater
05-22-2013, 08:14 AM
I think Max will do well in San Diego.

Not a bad place to finish out a career.

I wish Max nothing but the best.

Spike
05-22-2013, 08:24 AM
My guess right now would be Adams. And Beachum or Whimper take over at RT. But Gilbert hasn't won the LT job yet.

Wexell had this report...

(from a longer article)

So, the new lineup?

Well, as Foster confirmed yesterday it was Gilbert moving over to replace Starks at left tackle; Foster moving over to replace Willie Colon at left guard; All-Pro Maurkice Pouncey at center; and last year’s first and second-round picks DeCastro and Adams at right guard and right tackle.

Foster said the tackles will likely swap spots throughout the spring as coaches attempt to put the right player in the right place for training camp. But, when pressed for his gut instinct, Foster said he believes the Day One lineup will stick.

“I see it that way,” he said. “I’ve worked a lot with Marcus in the past and I think that’ll be a good fit for him and I to be on the left side. He’s capable of doing it. He’s a mature guy. And Mike and DeCastro work well together. I think it’s going to be nice.”

http://pit.scout.com/2/1293498.html

zulater
05-22-2013, 08:27 AM
Wexell had this report...

(from a longer article)

So, the new lineup?

Well, as Foster confirmed yesterday it was Gilbert moving over to replace Starks at left tackle; Foster moving over to replace Willie Colon at left guard; All-Pro Maurkice Pouncey at center; and last year’s first and second-round picks DeCastro and Adams at right guard and right tackle.

Foster said the tackles will likely swap spots throughout the spring as coaches attempt to put the right player in the right place for training camp. But, when pressed for his gut instinct, Foster said he believes the Day One lineup will stick.

“I see it that way,” he said. “I’ve worked a lot with Marcus in the past and I think that’ll be a good fit for him and I to be on the left side. He’s capable of doing it. He’s a mature guy. And Mike and DeCastro work well together. I think it’s going to be nice.”

http://pit.scout.com/2/1293498.html

I actually like the make up of our starting o-line. I'm just not crazy about the depth.

Chidi29
05-22-2013, 03:33 PM
He wasn't below average. He was at least average if not slightly above. And he's a helluva sight better than Whimple, or whatever his name is.

Being better than Whimper doesn't make Starks good.

GBMelBlount
05-22-2013, 04:23 PM
I actually like the make up of our starting o-line. I'm just not crazy about the depth.

The two biggest determinants of how far we go this year are Ben and the O line.

Count Steeler
05-22-2013, 05:17 PM

Well, we definitely won't go out without a Whimper.

Craic
05-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Well, we definitely won't go out without a Whimper.

:buttkick:

No, not even a chuckle for that one!

86WARD
05-23-2013, 04:36 AM

No they don't and that's why they signed Whimper. They had a rookie guard playing left tackle in practice...lol. They had to sign a body...

86WARD
05-23-2013, 04:38 AM

More so than Ben I think is whether the current receiving corps will "support" him or let him down...