PDA

View Full Version : Rookie LB Vince Williams Instructed Teammates At Rookie Camp

stillers4me
05-08-2013, 07:17 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers 2013 rookie camp has come and gone and while we did get a few small reports about players from the members of the media present, here is a new tidbit to pass along and it concerns sixth-round draft pick Vince Williams.

Bob Labriola of Steelers Digest was asked on Tuesday during the Steelers Live show if any other player had caught his eye over the weekend after thoroughly discussing the top draft picks and here is what he had to say about Williams.

"The one guy that I kind of noticed was Vince Williams," said Labriola. "He would be the second pick in the sixth round, an inside linebacker from Florida State. Vince Williams, a couple of the things that I liked about him, were first of all, it wasn't very long into the on field sessions when Vince Williams was instructing teammates about where they needed to be - and shifting - and those kind of things.

"Vince Williams did a lot of the defensive play calling during his college career and it seems like he has a very high football IQ and it seemed to me, watching from the side, that that was a little bit on display right from the beginning." ...........

Read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/05/steelers-rookie-lb-vince-williams-instructed-teammates-at-rookie-camp/

Psycho Ward 86
05-08-2013, 07:35 PM
please for the love of god be a pleasant surprise

Devilsdancefloor
05-08-2013, 08:14 PM
i liked this guy alot i actually picked him inthe 6th in my mock drafted. very smart and seems to put himself in good postition

Psycho Ward 86
05-08-2013, 08:24 PM
i liked this guy alot i actually picked him inthe 6th in my mock drafted. very smart and seems to put himself in good postition

how did he end up putting up so few tackles as the starting middle linebacker of such a great defense?

Shoes
05-08-2013, 08:24 PM
.......and hopefully a real defensive leader.

Mistah Q
05-08-2013, 09:07 PM
how did he end up putting up so few tackles as the starting middle linebacker of such a great defense?
He enforced the line to let those other guys make all those big plays. They were the suddenness... but he was the glide ;)

Seven
05-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Williams should make this team. He isn't flashy but he was worth much higher than a sixth rounder in my opinion. I think if we end up with an absolute steal in this class it'll likely be him.

Steeldude
05-09-2013, 07:51 AM

This might be the reason, if accurate.

Over-aggressiveness gets Williams in a lot of trouble. When he guesses wrong, he will take himself completely out of a play. Williams' eyes wander, leading him to abandon his area of responsibility, often with bad results. He will bite on play fakes and can be lured into no man's land. Williams seems to prefer eluding blockers to taking them on. He sometimes gets so focused on his destination that he leaves himself open to being blown up by blockers he doesn't see. He might not have the foot speed and range to be a three-down linebacker.

The one thing I have heard that appears to accurate, is his lack of speed. How well will he do in coverage? If he can't cover then he isn't the answer. That means ILB is a must in the early rounds of 2014.

NJarhead
05-09-2013, 09:45 AM

This might be the reason, if accurate.

The one thing I have heard that appears to accurate, is his lack of speed. How well will he do in coverage? If he can't cover then he isn't the answer. That means ILB is a must in the early rounds of 2014.

I believe he also came off the field on 3rd down.

Chidi29
05-11-2013, 02:49 PM

Plus, I know he suffered a cracked tibia in April 2012 that put him behind the eight ball for a little while.