PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign Whimper and Garvin

stillers4me
05-06-2013, 03:35 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed veteran free agent offensive tackle Guy Whimper and undrafted rookie free agent linebacker Terence Garvin to contracts, the team announced today.

Whimper was originally drafted in the fourth round (129th overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft by the New York Giants...

Read more @ http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Sign-Whimper-and-Garvin/1b7416bc-98bb-4cfd-9af4-2be713499eae

ALLD
05-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Can you spell D-y-n-a-s-t-y?

Drazo85
05-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Whimper over Starks? This move doesnt make any sense right now.

polamalubeast
05-06-2013, 04:05 PM
awful,awful,awful

New #Steelers OT Guy Whimper graded out 74th-of-80 in @PFF's 2012 offensive tackle ratings. Allowed NFL-high 14 sacks in 2011.

http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/331470701481570306

ouch

ALLD
05-06-2013, 04:14 PM
We haven't had a respectable OL since 2005. These guys should be operating rides at Kennywood.

Spike
05-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Whimper?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sounds like they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel there

katmandu
05-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Whimper over Starks? This move doesnt make any sense right now. WHEN will the Steelers get SERIOUS about LEFT TACKLE ?

Psycho Ward 86
05-06-2013, 05:34 PM
whimper must have gotten a lot of shit on the playground when he was a kid

salamander
05-06-2013, 05:38 PM
I would've rathered Max Starks.

tube517
05-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Who?

KeiselPower99
05-06-2013, 08:12 PM
I imagine this is only a mini camp move as they are waiting for June 1 to come and have an additional 5 million available. Whimper is a guy that makes Jonathon Scott look like a pro bowler. As for Garvin congrats kid.

Dwinsgames
05-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Whimper is a guy that makes Jonathon Scott look like a pro bowler.

this should be all anybody needs to know ...

well that and WHY BOTHER signing a guy like this , hell may as well just toss that money in the trash can and set fire to it /no hope

86WARD
05-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Nice makes plenty of sense. They had Golic playing tackle during camp...first if all he's a Guard, second of all, he was an UDFA and lastly, he's not good. Whimper is most likely a camp body. Nothing to read to far into...

Don't panic...

Dwinsgames
05-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Nice makes plenty of sense. They had Golic playing tackle during camp...first if all he's a Guard, second of all, he was an UDFA and lastly, he's not good. Whimper is most likely a camp body. Nothing to read to far into...

Don't panic...

no doubt he will not ( nor should not ) stick on the roster , but the point it WHY spend a dime on him

Seven
05-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Whimper is a much better player than you guys are giving him credit for being. I agree I would have rather had Starks, though.

st33lersguy
05-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Did Starks gain like 80 pounds this offseason? That would be the only logical explanation as to why we are scraping for lump of turd tackles who can't instead of re-signing Starks

NCSteeler
05-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Whimper is a much better player than you guys are giving him credit for being. I agree I would have rather had Starks, though.

Really? IDK WTF the Steelers are thinking here. This is plain and simple a guy who should have been called by no team except in an emergency

JJ Cooper @jjcoop36

In 2011, Guy Whimper had a nine-game streak of giving up at least one sack every week.

"Whimper leads the league with 12.5 sacks allowed. Eight of those sacks have come when Whimper's man wrapped up (Blaine) Gabbert less than three seconds after the snap."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22206820/steelers-backup-ot-guy-whimper-has-a-history-of-allowing-sacks

fansince'76
05-07-2013, 10:27 AM
whimper must have gotten a lot of shit on the playground when he was a kid

Exactly what I was thinking. :chuckle:

SteelerFanInStl
05-07-2013, 10:54 AM
It doesn't sound like this guy should be on anyone's roster.

Psycho Ward 86
05-07-2013, 09:04 PM
It doesn't sound like this guy should be on anyone's roster.

Sure sounds like a great fit for the Jets. More butt fumble highlights for the rest of the world to enjoy.

86WARD
05-07-2013, 10:04 PM
no doubt he will not ( nor should not ) stick on the roster , but the point it WHY spend a dime on him

They need bodies and they need to be paid. Plain and simple.

XxKnightxX
05-08-2013, 07:20 AM

This guy was johnny on the sport for the Giants. He did everything that was asked of him, and he played every damn position. I remember going to all the Giants games and watching their warmups and he always was bouncing around in different positions all the time and was a very good technician. He didnt get signed for his overwhelming talent but his versatility is something that gives a chance to create competition in camp.

Psycho Ward 86
05-08-2013, 03:07 PM
This guy was johnny on the sport for the Giants. He did everything that was asked of him, and he played every damn position. I remember going to all the Giants games and watching their warmups and he always was bouncing around in different positions all the time and was a very good technician. He didnt get signed for his overwhelming talent but his versatility is something that gives a chance to create competition in camp.

im getting tired of this versatility shit. i hope the O-line finally stays healthy enough this season and beyond that we devalue the importance of versatility and put more emphasis on how good our linemen actually are. Our utility guys have never been that good. And the ones that were were clearly better at one position. Trai essex: meh. doug legursky: way better at center than guard. ramon foster: dramatic improvement as a guard after switching over from tackle.

Craic
05-08-2013, 03:20 PM

Because every team needs camp fodder. Without it, their starters and backups get too many reps and too beat up. So if you're going to bring someone in for your first and second team D to beat up on, it's better to bring someone in that's had a little experience in the NFL, rather than a nobody that hasn't seen any of the tricks usually pulled by an NFL defense.

In short, because he's cheap, saves wear and tear on our starters, and gives our d someone to beat up on while providing a little better competition than an UFA or second or third year guy.

43Hitman
05-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Also on Steelers talk they were saying one of our UDFA showed up so out of shape that he couldn't participate in the rookie mini-camp. So they cut his ass and signed Whimper.

KeiselPower99
05-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Also on Steelers talk they were saying one of our UDFA showed up so out of shape that he couldn't participate in the rookie mini-camp. So they cut his ass and signed Whimper.

That would have been the center from Baylor. I dont know his name and it really aint gonna matter now.

GBMelBlount
05-08-2013, 09:44 PM
How about "Steelers Sign and whimper"?

Dwinsgames
05-09-2013, 08:24 AM
I get the camp fodder , camp body line of thinking but when there are guys who have proven to be able to play walking the streets why not offer those men those jobs , guys who will increase the level of competition not bring that level down ... Big Max has started here and is the incumbent and is a street Free Agent , mind you nobody on the current roster was good enough to unseat Max last season for the starting Job thus he would have been a much better measuring stick to bring in to see just where the youngsters are in in their development ...

Football is a business hire people that have proved to be able to do the job ......

Steeldude
05-09-2013, 08:30 AM
WHEN will the Steelers get SERIOUS about LEFT TACKLE ?

Never.