PDA

View Full Version : Woodley putting in the effort for Steelers

stillers4me
05-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Having absorbed criticism for a perceived lack of fitness in 2012, Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley said Saturday he's "getting after it" with his offseason conditioning, hoping to avoid the injuries that sidelined him for stretches of the past two seasons.

"My offseason is going great. I'm looking forward to getting back with the team in a few weeks," Woodley said. "I've been training since the middle of February. ... It was a disappointing season being 8-8 and not making the playoffs. It was disappointing at the end of the day."

Woodley missed three full games and most of two others last season due to ankle and hamstring injuries; he also missed six in 2011. Questions arose about his fitness, and he was anonymously blasted as "terrible" by a teammate in a Post-Gazette column in February...........

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/woodley-putting-in-the-effort-for-steelers-686295/#ixzz2SQMO22wG

fansince'76
05-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Sounds promising, but I'm not about to give him a slap on the back for it. He's being paid WAY too much to not show up in shape like last season.

GBMelBlount
05-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Some injuries you can't predict or avoid

While I agree with Woodley on this...being less obese and in better shape may have helped him avoid his injury.

Also, the fact that this was at a luncheon (probably a buffet) and that no mention of exactly WHAT he is doing does little to quell my concerns.

WHile I hope I am wrong for all we know he could still just be hanging out and enjoying the good life.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a287/rennedo/woodsloth.png (http://s13.photobucket.com/user/rennedo/media/woodsloth.png.html)

steelreserve
05-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Here's about what I have pegged for next year ... Week 3 hamstring injury ... miss 3 games ... play ineffectively in 2 games ... hamstring injury ... miss 2 games ... play ineffectively the rest of the year ... deal with $14M cap hit by making it even worse the next season.

Ah, the joys of having Lamarr "The Contract" Woodley on the team.

Shoes
05-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Here's about what I have pegged for next year ... Week 3 hamstring injury ... miss 3 games ... play ineffectively in 2 games ... hamstring injury ... miss 2 games ... play ineffectively the rest of the year ... deal with $14M cap hit by making it even worse the next season.

Ah, the joys of having Lamarr "The Contract" Woodley on the team.

Sadly, this is about what I see for this guy too. Being in shape is part of what he's been paid for. He'll remain a slothful sluggard in my view...... One that does a lot of talking!

ALLD
05-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Good thing for Woodley there is Chris Johnson, otherwise they would cut him up in the media.

salamander
05-05-2013, 01:06 PM
I've pretty much lost all faith in Woodley at this point.

Steeltreal
05-05-2013, 03:38 PM
No love for the leading sack master of Steel, Woodley for DPOY!:rockon:

steelreserve
05-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Sadly, this is about what I see for this guy too. Being in shape is part of what he's been paid for. He'll remain a slothful sluggard in my view...... One that does a lot of talking!

Seriously, for a guy who performs this badly after being paid such an ungodly amount of money, I wish there was a way to just cancel the contract and take the bonus money back. All the goddamn dead money we'd have is the only reason why this guy is even still on the team.

fansince'76
05-05-2013, 08:44 PM
No love for the leading sack master of Steel, Woodley for DPOY!:rockon:

I'm reserving judgment until I see him this year, personally. I'm still holding out hope that he returns to the form that was DPOY-worthy in the first half of 2011.

Seven
05-05-2013, 10:33 PM
If he is working out half as much as he's claiming he is on social media he outta come into camp in the best shape of his life. Is he though? That remains to be seen.

zulater
05-06-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm not so sure Woodley was out of shape last year. I remember watching some training video's of him before last season where he was really "getting at it". In fact i think part of the problem was that he tried to become something he's not. He tried to increase his strength to become James Harrison like, and in so doing developed muscle mass, but lost needed flexibility, speed, and range of motion, and lost who he's supposed to be.

I even remember reading somewhere where Ike Taylor's workout guru alluded to this. Basically he said that Lammar wasn't guilty of being lazy, he was guilty of excercising the wrong muscle groups. His point was along the lines that once you get a serious hamstring issue there's a regimen of excercises specifically designed to avoid getting that type of injury again. And nowhere in Woodley's workout regime was there anything directed towards that aim.

So hopefully Lammar is done trying to be Harrison and has honed his offseason workout's to getting back to the player he was prior to injuring his hamstring against the Patriots in 2011. As fansince76 has already alluded to prior to that injury Woodley was on the short list of players in the early discussion for DPOY.

We get that player back in 2013 we're well on the road to having a strong pass rush this season. I'm an optimist. Mark me down as saying 56 will be a top candidate for comeback player of the year in 2013.

XxKnightxX
05-07-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm not so sure Woodley was out of shape last year. I remember watching some training video's of him before last season where he was really "getting at it". In fact i think part of the problem was that he tried to become something he's not. He tried to increase his strength to become James Harrison like, and in so doing developed muscle mass, but lost needed flexibility, speed, and range of motion, and lost who he's supposed to be.

I even remember reading somewhere where Ike Taylor's workout guru alluded to this. Basically he said that Lammar wasn't guilty of being lazy, he was guilty of excercising the wrong muscle groups. His point was along the lines that once you get a serious hamstring issue there's a regimen of excercises specifically designed to avoid getting that type of injury again. And nowhere in Woodley's workout regime was there anything directed towards that aim.

So hopefully Lammar is done trying to be Harrison and has honed his offseason workout's to getting back to the player he was prior to injuring his hamstring against the Patriots in 2011. As fansince76 has already alluded to prior to that injury Woodley was on the short list of players in the early discussion for DPOY.

We get that player back in 2013 we're well on the road to having a strong pass rush this season. I'm an optimist. Mark me down as saying 56 will be a top candidate for comeback player of the year in 2013.

Ding Ding Ding. Ever since Woodley announced that he would be gaining mass and weight after the 08 season I believe, I knew nothing good would come out of it. The guy is buff enough, he needs to work on his finnesse, the power is there. Just look at the many times where RBs like Foster made cutbacks on him and he was left deep in the mud trying to reach with his bulky ass body.

I will hold on to my reservations on Woodley, one thing you can say about him, is that he cares and is cognizant of what fellow peers and fans think of him, so he knows he has to adjust.