PDA

View Full Version : Heinz Field expansion wrangling heats up

salamander
05-04-2013, 11:21 AM
So I've been curious as to what the status was regarding the Steelers plans to increase the seating capacity of Heinz Field. After doing a quick search, I came across this article from back in February. Don't expect any new seats any time soon.

And yes, as I've stated, this article is from back in February so don't hound me about posting an old article. :chuckle:

Heinz Field expansion wrangling heats up

By Mark Belko / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pittsburgh-Allegheny County Sports & Exhibition Authority is playing tough defense in its battle against the Steelers over a proposed 3,000-seat expansion at Heinz Field.

In a formal response to a lawsuit filed in December by the team, the SEA argued that it is under no obligation to pay two-thirds of the cost of the addition because it doesn't meet the definition of a capital improvement under the Steelers' lease.

At the same time, the authority showed some offense, contending that the Steelers should be barred from asserting their claims because they rejected "reasonable funding proposals" to pay for the expansion and other projects and by "refusing and failing" to meet the criteria for capital improvements.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/business/news/heinz-field-expansion-wrangling-heats-up-673043/#ixzz2SLEzhwyn

steelreserve
05-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Ugh ... makes me nervous. Whatever they do, they need to be REAL careful not to close in the open end and block the view of the city and hills. That would turn it into just another ugly concrete-slab stadium, which would be tragic.

pepsyman1
05-05-2013, 01:59 AM
Ugh ... makes me nervous. Whatever they do, they need to be REAL careful not to close in the open end and block the view of the city and hills. That would turn it into just another ugly concrete-slab stadium, which would be tragic.

Although the views are great I've always hated the open ended stadium. The stadium is nowhere near as loud as Three Rivers used to be. All that crowd noise just escapes across the river. I want opponents to feel like they're trapped in the Thunderdome! Lol

Galax Steeler
05-05-2013, 10:29 AM
I like the open end of the field hope they don't screw that up.

stillers4me
05-05-2013, 10:32 AM
I love the view from that end as well.

steelreserve
05-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Although the views are great I've always hated the open ended stadium. The stadium is nowhere near as loud as Three Rivers used to be. All that crowd noise just escapes across the river. I want opponents to feel like they're trapped in the Thunderdome! Lol

Having only been to Three Rivers once, for a baseball game (a one-hitter by Doug Drabek, as a matter of fact), I can't comment intelligently on that - but I do know Heinz Field is still about the loudest football stadium I've ever been to. Any acoustical disadvantages, the fans make up for by being more vocal than usual. The only louder sporting events I've been to are indoor basketball games, or a baseball game for a few seconds during a walk-off home run.