PDA

View Full Version : Powerful but nimble Bell has look of a No. 1 back for Steelers

stillers4me
05-04-2013, 08:12 AM
The Steelers wanted to improve their running game in 2012, then they did a strange thing: They did absolutely nothing to help the rushing attack and, in fact, reduced their chances of running the ball better heading into last season.

The team talked a good running game but slipped to 26th in the NFL rushing rankings in 2012. Their reaction this year was to actually do something to fix it, proving Chuck Noll's old self-effacing comment that if you hit a donkey in the head with a 2-by-4 enough times, he gets the message.

The Steelers learned a hard lesson last season. They knew their horse, Rashard Mendenhall, not only would not be ready to start the 2012 season because of a torn knee ligament but -- even in the words of general manager Kevin Colbert -- he likely would not be the same for a year.

The team responded by letting veteran Mewelde Moore go and added only a scatback, fifth-round pick Chris Rainey, to the equation in the 2012 draft. The results should have been predictable. The Steelers slipped from 11th and 14th in the league in rushing the two previous seasons and their 1,537 team rushing yards were the team's second fewest in seasons of either 14 or 16 games in more than 40 years.............

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/powerful-but-nimble-bell-has-look-of-a-no-1-back-685703/#ixzz2SKT9XeBI

Steeldude
05-04-2013, 08:14 AM
We'll have to wait to see. I hope he learns to lower his pads and square his shoulders.

Shoes
05-04-2013, 09:53 AM
He's surely an upgrade over Red, Dwyer and a half hearted Mendy....he also proved he can be productive behind a crappy O-line. I like this pick.

fansince'76
05-04-2013, 09:58 AM
We'll have to wait to see. I hope he learns to lower his pads and square his shoulders.

That's illegal now...

steeldawg
05-04-2013, 10:03 AM
That's illegal now...

Ya it will be intresting to see how this rule plays out, i also think its a reason we passed on lacy.

Edman
05-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Mendenhall went downhill after Super Bowl XLV. He didn't have a good 2011 either, and that was before the injury.

After that fumble in XLV, that was it for him.

steeldawg
05-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Mendenhall went downhill after Super Bowl XLV. He didn't have a good 2011 either, and that was before the injury.

After that fumble in XLV, that was it for him.

I dont know 928 yds through 15 games on only 228 carries 4.1 per carry 9 tds and only 1 fumble thats a pretty good year considering running the ball wasnt our main focus.

cold-hard-steel
05-04-2013, 12:06 PM
I hope he is the guy we been waitin for since Jerome had to call it quits . I dream of the days when we would line up ,and we knew we were runnin the ball , They knew we were runnin the ball , and we would run the ball . We just don't beat teams up like we used to . I think we should get back to that mentality . Just sayin .

Psycho Ward 86
05-04-2013, 12:44 PM
That's illegal now...

thank god we dont have to worry about that since he's so damn fast.

lulz oh wait a minute

Craic
05-04-2013, 10:38 PM
I hope he is the guy we been waitin for since Jerome had to call it quits . I dream of the days when we would line up ,and we knew we were runnin the ball , They knew we were runnin the ball , and we would run the ball . We just don't beat teams up like we used to . I think we should get back to that mentality . Just sayin .

I guess you also forgot about the AFCCG in the 1994, 1997, 2001, and 2004 seasons and the playoffs in 1993 and 2006. Yeah, let's go back to the "We can't beat two dimensional teams" mentality of football.

No thank you.

cold-hard-steel
05-05-2013, 03:42 PM
I guess you also forgot about the AFCCG in the 1994, 1997, 2001, and 2004 seasons and the playoffs in 1993 and 2006. Yeah, let's go back to the "We can't beat two dimensional teams" mentality of football.

No thank you.

Preach i just want a guy who can run the ball . Hopin Bell can ring that bell , so to speak . Unlike many i find the o-line line of thinking quite tiresome . You have to make a "two dimensional " team one dimensional . In my own personal opinion , you have to run the ball to do that . That's jus me and my opinion . You can pick up the third and ones , third and twos , or even threes rushing the ball , You went 11 and 5 last year . Too much dependancy in the air makes us the "one dimensional " team . That is where we got our butts handed to us .

Seven
05-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Bell should prove to be a good addition. I would really like to see him become the workhorse and have Dwyer spell him a few times a series. I think we'd get the most out of our backfield that way as long as Bell works out. He's going to have to earn it first, though.

Steeldude
05-06-2013, 01:59 AM
He's surely an upgrade over Red, Dwyer and a half hearted Mendy....he also proved he can be productive behind a crappy O-line. I like this pick.

How do you know if he is an upgrade yet? He hasn't carried the ball once in a regular season game.

- - - Updated - - -

That's illegal now...

It's only illegal beyond 3 yards of the scrimmage. I hate the rule because there are going to be too many judgment calls.

Shoes
05-06-2013, 08:05 AM
How do you know if he is an upgrade yet? He hasn't carried the ball once in a regular season game.

Just my opinion and gut feeling, like everything else on these pages.

GodfatherofSoul
05-06-2013, 11:33 AM
It's only illegal beyond 3 yards of the scrimmage. I hate the rule because there are going to be too many judgment calls.

...but, perfect for influencing outcomes...

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/gameon/2012/11/06/usp-nfl_-pittsburgh-steelers-at-new-york-giants-4_3_r536_c534.jpg