PDA

View Full Version : Vince Williams to get opportunity to plug inside linebacker hole with Steelers

stillers4me
05-04-2013, 08:09 AM
If this draft had been based on needs, then the Steelers last weekend ignored one of their neediest positions -- inside linebacker. Or did they?

They passed on Manti Te'o, passed on Kevin Minter, passed on Michael Mauti. Just as they passed on Penn State's Sean Lee four years ago in favor of Jason Worilds, the Steelers looked to fill their need at outside linebacker before they worried about the inside.

Linebackers coach Keith Butler made his pitch to general manager Kevin Colbert to draft an inside linebacker to pair with first-round pick Jarvis Jones.

"If they had done what I felt like doing, we would have taken one in the second round," Butler said. "As I told them, last time we picked first and second with linebackers we won the Super Bowl two years later. We didn't go to it, we won it. I tried to make that argument, it didn't work. It worked for one round, but it didn't work for the second round."..............

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/vince-williams-to-get-opportunity-to-plug-inside-linebacker-hole-with-steelers-685866/#ixzz2SKSeb2Qk

salamander
05-04-2013, 09:29 AM
I'm completely confused as to why they didn't take an ILB when they should have. But hey, who am I to say anything.

steelreserve
05-04-2013, 01:35 PM
There were plenty of excellent choices at ILB before and after we took this guy. I was more than a little puzzled at how we approached that position, honestly. He could turn out to be a solid player, it just depends who's right - the draft pundits who weren't impressed with his measurables, or the people who think his intangibles pull it all together into something greater than the sum of the parts. I guess that's what the team is banking on.