PDA

View Full Version : Unusual move in NFL draft lands a hard-hitting safety for the Steelers

stillers4me
05-04-2013, 08:02 AM
In Shamarko Thomas, the Steelers hope they have found the next Bob Sanders, a compact, powerfully built safety who delivers torpedo-style hits. They hope he is not the next Anthony Smith.

Thomas is a 5-foot-9, 213-pound bundle of speed and unbridled power, and the Steelers thought enough of him to do something they rarely do -- trade away a future draft choice.

And the decision, strangely enough, was based on draft choices they don't have. At least, not right now.............

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/unusual-move-lands-a-hard-hitting-safety-for-the-steelers-686063/#ixzz2SKQja7rF

ALLD
05-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Ryan Clark is 33 and older than Polamalu. Clark was the hardest hitter on the Steelers and has some of the best highlights in team history. Lately, he has dialed it back to prolong his career. Could be his last season, if he plays this year.

86WARD
05-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Thomas could be a player they bring in to do some of the "running around" and "blitzing" that Troy does and in essence extend Troys career a couple of seasons...

ALLD
05-04-2013, 03:10 PM
I'll settle for the next Mike Wagner or Donnie Shell.

vader29
05-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Lately, he has dialed it back to prolong his career. More like he dialed it back to avoid fines and suspensions from Roger Goofdell.

salamander
05-04-2013, 04:57 PM
More like he dialed it back to avoid fines and suspensions from Roger Goofdell.

Agreed.

tube517
05-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Thomas could be a player they bring in to do some of the "running around" and "blitzing" that Troy does and in essence extend Troys career a couple of seasons...

Shhhhh.....don't let out all our secrets :chuckle:

Seriously, I like the way you all are thinking.

Craic
05-04-2013, 07:49 PM

Then he should be cut, since the league doesn't fine for hitting hard. They fine for hitting the head. There's a big difference.

Aussie_steeler
05-04-2013, 08:39 PM
So the Steelers traded their third-round choice in 2014 to the Cleveland Browns to draft Thomas with the 111th overall selection -- four spots ahead of their own fourth-round choice. It was the first time since 1973 the Steelers traded a future draft choice, but they did it because they expect to get third- and fourth-round compensatory picks in 2014 for Mike Wallace, Rashard Mendenhall and Keenan Lewis.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/unusual-move-lands-a-hard-hitting-safety-for-the-steelers-686063/#ixzz2SNU7GAA2

Interesting that many fans have not acknowledged or applauded the change in philosophy shown in this years draft.

Trading a 2014 3rd round pick to land a player graded as a 3rd rounder this year was very positive in my mind. Essentially you are getting use out of your pick 12 months early.

Come 2014 and this 3rd round pick may be ready to start (something almost unheard of around this team - particularly on the D side of the ball.

And the bonus is that the team will still have at least one pick in every round next year.

steeldawg
05-04-2013, 08:54 PM

I don't think he switched to an oversized helmet lined with Kevlar to avoid fines.

43Hitman
05-05-2013, 07:02 AM
Interesting that many fans have not acknowledged or applauded the change in philosophy shown in this years draft.

Trading a 2014 3rd round pick to land a player graded as a 3rd rounder this year was very positive in my mind. Essentially you are getting use out of your pick 12 months early.

Come 2014 and this 3rd round pick may be ready to start (something almost unheard of around this team - particularly on the D side of the ball.

And the bonus is that the team will still have at least one pick in every round next year.

Yeah, that's a good take on it, and I'm glad to see them start making moves like this.

GBMelBlount
05-05-2013, 07:11 AM
I really liked this pick.

There was a strong need, good value and an extra pick next year but it came at the expense of 2 picks to move up relatively few spots.

So while there were mitigating factors I am not a big fan of doing this often.

Bluecoat96
05-05-2013, 07:19 AM
I really liked this pick.

There was a strong need, good value and an extra pick next year but it came at the expense of 2 picks to move up relatively few spots.

So while there were mitigating factors I am not a big fan of doing this often.

But it only cost them the one pick from next year's draft, and they kept their other 4th round pick for Landry Jones this year....and I bet they only made the move because they knew they would get comp picks in the third/fourth round for Wallace, Lewis, and Mendenhall. I think it was a great move.