PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Wheaton could make biggest splash among Steelers’ rookies

stillers4me
05-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Jarvis Jones could come in and start immediately. Le'Veon Bell could come in and start immediately. But Markus Wheaton could be the rookie from the Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/)' Class of 2013 who makes the biggest impact.

Forget the comparisons to Mike Wallace, the receiver he might replace — if not in the lineup, then as the Steelers' best deep threat. While Wheaton is exceptionally fast, especially after making the catch, he is not Wallace-fast.

He won't have to be to still be effective in Todd Haley's offense, which values quick throws to receivers who run precise routes to get open in heavy traffic.

“Markus Wheaton is a very good route runner who is coming into the NFL and will be ready to play right away,” ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said.............

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3954424-74/wheaton-steelers-receiver#ixzz2SKOMh8BI

ALLD
05-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Dude will be lucky to make STs. Rookie WRs generally do nothing and at best are silent and unseen.

Seven
05-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Wheaton should be able to compete immediately in my opinion. I think his skills lend themselves well to the pro game. But obviously, only time will tell.

NCSteeler
05-06-2013, 11:59 AM
I personally think it is the year of the rookie in Pittsburgh. It's time to let some young guys get out there and fill the holes we drafted them for. I certainly think Wheaton could be a bit player his first year, he'll be given 1-2 routes he can master and catch 1-3 balls a game. I call it 30 - 400yds - 3td , certainly not impossible and that would be great from a rookie. No reason Bell can't gain 900-1000 yards and no reason Jones can't grab 4-6 sacks. Other teams start rookies that contribute all the time. Only reason we havn't, is the quality of our roster, well that has changed.

steelerdude15
05-06-2013, 12:01 PM
I really don't think he'll make a big impact this year because he's a rookie, but luckily, he has a good coach coming in to teach him and he has veteran receivers to learn from. I still think Jarvis or Bell will make the biggest impact this year.

zulater
05-12-2013, 11:52 PM
I personally think it is the year of the rookie in Pittsburgh. It's time to let some young guys get out there and fill the holes we drafted them for. I certainly think Wheaton could be a bit player his first year, he'll be given 1-2 routes he can master and catch 1-3 balls a game. I call it 30 - 400yds - 3td , certainly not impossible and that would be great from a rookie. No reason Bell can't gain 900-1000 yards and no reason Jones can't grab 4-6 sacks. Other teams start rookies that contribute all the time. Only reason we havn't, is the quality of our roster, well that has changed.

I think you're right. I think we may actually have rookies that might be in the discussion for league honors for rookie of the year.

This could be a really exciting season!

TomlinSteelTribe
05-13-2013, 09:16 AM
I hope some of these rookies can contribute, but I'm more interested in the contributions of McLendon, Cortez Allen, Hood, Heyward, Manny Sanders, and the OL.

Of the rookies, I'm leaning towards Bell making the greatest impact, even though I see him as the most likely bust. He's going to get a legitimate crack at the starting job. I see Jones splitting snaps with Worilds, at best. Woodley saw spot duty as a rookie and I'd expect the same for Jarvis.

Moose
05-13-2013, 11:15 AM
Of the rookies, I'm leaning towards Bell making the greatest impact, even though I see him as the most likely bust.

Huh ? Impact and Bust ?

Psycho Ward 86
05-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Huh ? Impact and Bust ?

i believe he's saying he's the biggest "boom or bust" prospect, which i agree with. for all the raves about him being "fast" for a big guy, he runs with such underwhelming power, and opts to try and run away from defenders instead of through them when it doesnt make sense. Plus he's tall (6'1'') and runs really tall too, so his pad level is super shitty at times. And its hard not to worry about how he'll play at what weight because he said so himself that he played at over 240lb. during his final season in Michigan, but he weighed only 230lb. at the combine (possibly to run a faster 40?)

Carolina Steelers
05-14-2013, 01:35 PM
I think bell will make biggest impact but I think wheaton will make some contributions unlike Wallace who was mostly deep threat and got fustrated if he didn't get ball early. I can see Wheaton fitting in Haley's offense short throws and yards after catch. I don't think we have a clear cut #3. I could see 500-600 yds and maybe 3 tds

TomlinSteelTribe
05-14-2013, 09:04 PM
Huh ? Impact and Bust ?

Yeah, I guess I wasn't very clear there. I think Bell is going to get the most snaps of the rookies, but how productive he'll be... I have my reservations. Like Psycho Ward pointed out: he runs upright, and while quick for his size, doesn't show great speed or intimidating power.

I'm a believer in the importance of OL over the RB. Sure, they both matter, but our blue chip OL should be able to make anyone look good this upcoming season. They've had their time to get acclimated to the pro game. It's time to start roadgradin'. If they do this, it won't really matter who's back there: Bell, Dwyer, Redman [see: the middle part of last season].

I guess it's stating the obvious that a RB relies on his OL, but I'll be clear: I expect Bell to do jack squat if the OL doesn't play up to potential.

GBMelBlount
05-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I guess I wasn't very clear there. I think Bell is going to get the most snaps of the rookies, but how productive he'll be... I have my reservations. Like Psycho Ward pointed out: he runs upright, and while quick for his size, doesn't show great speed or intimidating power.

I'm a believer in the importance of OL over the RB. Sure, they both matter, but our blue chip OL should be able to make anyone look good this upcoming season. They've had their time to get acclimated to the pro game. It's time to start roadgradin'. If they do this, it won't really matter who's back there: Bell, Dwyer, Redman [see: the middle part of last season].

I guess it's stating the obvious that a RB relies on his OL, but I'll be clear: I expect Bell to do jack squat if the OL doesn't play up to potential.

I agree with both of your posts TST....especially with the line performance most likely being the key determinant.