PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Expected To Sign WR Steve Breaston Within Next Couple Of Weeks

stillers4me
05-03-2013, 02:30 PM
John Clayton of ESPN mentioned on Thursday’s episode of NFL Live that the Pittsburgh Steelers are expected to sign free agent wide receiver Steve Breaston within the next couple of weeks.

The Steelers brought Breaston in for a visit several weeks ago following his release from the Kansas City Chiefs, but chose not to sign him at the time............

read more @
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/05/report-steelers-expected-to-sign-wr-steve-breaston-within-next-couple-of-weeks/

Mistah Q
05-03-2013, 03:05 PM
One question. Why?

I have nothing against Breaston (though I'm a little worried about his knees) but this does nothing for me. I doubt he can be a dynamic kick returner anymore and we got guys for that anyway. I can't see him adding much to the passing game either. I'll take Brown, Sanders, Wheaton, Burress, and Cotchery, thanks... unless we plan on dislodging Burress this makes no sense, but that would be stupid to do, imo.

steelreserve
05-03-2013, 03:29 PM
I have no idea why we would do this. We have an oversupply of receivers as it it. Four guys who I think we're expecting to play (Sanders, Brown, Burress, Cotchery), two guys we just drafted, plus that really fast UDFA from Utah who might be a WR/return guy. That's seven guys, and I don't think we ever carry more than five WRs, four at a time on the active list. It already seems like we wasted money on too many WRs this offseason, and this would just be wasting more.

st33lersguy
05-03-2013, 03:48 PM
We needed a receiver before the draft, now we do not

Count Steeler
05-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Odd decision. Perhaps Haley owes him a favor?

Seven
05-03-2013, 04:21 PM
I don't see why anyone dislikes the move. He'll come in and compete with Cotch and Plex. At best he'll return to the form he was in a few years ago and beat one of them out of a roster spot, and at worst he'll be cut after pushing those guys and all the other receivers to work harder.

cold-hard-steel
05-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Has me "white washed " , but hey , I think if ya got something left to contribute , show what ya got . White warsh is the thing i'm thinkin of . Please guys , do not do that now . For the love of God .

tube517
05-03-2013, 04:57 PM
More competition. Not worried. Maybe they think he's got something left. Haley probably said to give him a look.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

salamander
05-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Mehh...

ALLD
05-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Shaun McDonald II

SteelerFanInStl
05-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Bring them all in and let them fight for jobs. As long as he isn't taking time away from the young guys, I don't have a problem with it.

Psycho Ward 86
05-03-2013, 06:20 PM
you guys talk like we have such a dynamic receiving corp lol

steelreserve
05-03-2013, 07:32 PM
I don't see why anyone dislikes the move. He'll come in and compete with Cotch and Plex. At best he'll return to the form he was in a few years ago and beat one of them out of a roster spot, and at worst he'll be cut after pushing those guys and all the other receivers to work harder.

If we're spending any money on this, that's why I'd complain. Fine if we bring him in for a tryout and aren't on the hook for anything. Let him compete with those guys for the #4 spot and keep the best one of the bunch.

But if it costs us like $1M in cap space that we could've used to try and re-sign one of our young guys long-term, that would piss me off ... Same if we cut Cotchery or Plaxico and ended up with dead money on the books for what is basically a sideways move ... same if we kept him for one mediocre year at the expense of cutting one of our rookies, who goes on to have a good career somewhere else. There's a lot of those kinds of things that I wouldn't like.

cold-hard-steel
05-04-2013, 02:20 AM
At this point i guess anything and anyone is up in the air. Moves must be made at any rate . I think the idea ...can we be better is the smart way to go . Whatever it takes works for me .I'm thrilled to watch how things pan out . Love my STEELERS man .

86WARD
05-04-2013, 05:42 AM

Lol.

Breaston >> Cothery >>>>>>>> Burress.

That's why you would sign him. The fact that Burress is on the roster is a joke.

GBMelBlount
05-04-2013, 07:03 AM
Not sure we want to spend a million on another #4 receiver.

2012: Cotchery >> Burress>>>>>>>>Breaston.

salamander
05-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Do we even have enough cap space to sign anyone else at this point? :lol:

steeldawg
05-04-2013, 10:34 AM

I agree we have a group of possession receivers, which i think is exactly what haley wants. I also think breaston can easily beat out cotchery who hasnt gotten open since 2010

Stone Cold Steeler
05-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Breaston has always been a good fit in Haley's offense. I can definitely see why the Steelers are looking to add depth at WR. We have one shore fire good WR in Brown. We have no idea what Sanders can do as a starter. We have no idea what Wheaton can do as a rookie. We have no idea what Burress and Cotchery have left in the tank going forward. You can say the same about Breaston but he's another veteran to throw in the mix as insurance. I see no downside to it.

GBMelBlount
05-04-2013, 12:47 PM
A million dolars to UPGRADE to a number 4 receiver who didn't even have 100 yards in 2012?

Is he still any good?

I'm skeptical.

86WARD
05-04-2013, 12:59 PM
There's no reason Burress should be on the roster other than a camp body and if you're carrying "camp bodies," there's no reason not to carry a cheap veteran who knows the OCs playbook.

LLT
05-04-2013, 01:21 PM
This move makes sense when looked at through the Steelers way of doing things.

When we brought in Brown and Sanders, there was a an outcry from the fanbase that we were not utilizing them to their full potential the first few years...and some even suggested they were "busts" because of the limited number of plays they were involved in. The truth was more in line with the Steelers willingness to bring them along slowly, making sure that they were fundementally sound in their route running and assignment recognition (based on the other teams defense), and that they understood the playbook.

Breaston is a "stop gap". He is a veteran player that will be used to bring the younger guys along, while filling in adequately at the X and slot position.

Very smart move in my opinion, in that a 4 wideout combo of Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, and Breaston gives us a great deal of flexibility. Also I believe that we need to take into consideration the obvious and overlooked fact that Burress is not the "veteran influence" that the FO wants to impart upon the rooks.

I think this signing is a clear indication that Burress will not be with the team when the season starts.

steelreserve
05-04-2013, 01:25 PM
I don't get all the hate on Burress. We didn't get much of a chance last year to see what he could do. He played super-sparingly in 3 games, one of which was the Browns fumble game with Batch, another was Ben's first game back after the rib thing, and the other was the meaningless game at the end of the season.

I'm not fooling myself that he's going to have a 1,000-yard year or anything, but he could still be a great role player if you have him come into the season normally, not throw him in there in desperation time knowing 10% of the plays with a fucked up quarterback and the team in a flat-out tailspin. I think people will be surprised, and ultimately it'll be between him and Cotchery and the 6th-round rookie for the last spot on the roster.

LLT
05-04-2013, 01:41 PM
I don't get all the hate on Burress.

Not hate...just the reality that he is a 35 year old wide reciever who runs a 4.59 forty and that his best years are behind him.

Why wouldnt a productive 29 year old vet , who still runs in the 4.45 range, and has the versatility to play the slot and x reciever position, be more attractive?

Mistah Q
05-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Because we have Sanders and Wheaton, and to an extent Cotchery, who can do that. BUrress has a role, and right now especially with Heath's injury, that role is to be a tall guy in the end zone and a big target on 3rd down. You could make an argument that Breaston could come replace Cotch but I think the whole thing is just stupid.

No, we don't have an elite WR corps but this is Steve Breaston we're talking about.

steelreserve
05-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Not hate...just the reality that he is a 35 year old wide reciever who runs a 4.59 forty and that his best years are behind him.

Why wouldnt a productive 29 year old vet , who still runs in the 4.45 range, and has the versatility to play the slot and x reciever position, be more attractive?

I don't know ... I guess I just am not that impressed with Breaston. I don't see him as much of an upgrade, if any, over Burress or Cotchery, and I don't think last season was much of a measuring stick for either of those two guys. Call it a hunch, but Burress just seems like the kind of player who could have that Terrell Owens type of longevity, where even though he's obviously lost a step, he produces more than you expect. Give him a fair shot and I'm optimistic we could see a good year out of him. Which would make the Breaston thing a needless expense, which is my main complaint.

The fourth receiver position is one where you generally can't afford to spend anything more than the league minimum without hurting yourself, and we're spending WAY too much time and money dicking around with it. Personally, if I had my way, one of the rookies would get the spot and we wouldn't even need to worry about all these aging journeymen who probably cost more than they are worth ... but that's not something you can count on.

Seven
05-04-2013, 04:31 PM
I agree we have a group of possession receivers

I really wouldn't designate Brown or Sanders as possession guys. The Patriots viewed Sanders as a deep threat when they were pursuing him. And both players have considerable YAC skill which alone eliminates the "possession" label. Plex and Cotchery can probably be tagged as that at this point, but Brown, Sanders, Wheaton and Breaston aren't really possession type players. They have all shown the ability to make plays after the catch, and Brown and Sanders run really good intermediate routes. We don't have a roster filled with catch a hitch and get tackled type of guys.

st33lersguy
05-04-2013, 05:33 PM
I don't think we have the cap space to sign him

steeldawg
05-04-2013, 09:08 PM
I really wouldn't designate Brown or Sanders as possession guys. The Patriots viewed Sanders as a deep threat when they were pursuing him. And both players have considerable YAC skill which alone eliminates the "possession" label. Plex and Cotchery can probably be tagged as that at this point, but Brown, Sanders, Wheaton and Breaston aren't really possession type players. They have all shown the ability to make plays after the catch, and Brown and Sanders run really good intermediate routes. We don't have a roster filled with catch a hitch and get tackled type of guys.

I would, I mean there not really deep threats they are going to run shorter more precise routes especially in our offense. Brown has been primarily a possession guy with Wallace blowing the top off of defenses and sanders has not shown he can catch the ball down the field, they do most of their damage on shorter routes also they don't get in the endzone all that often. I guess it just depends on your idea of a possession receiver but for me if your not a deep ball guy and your not scoring tds, your a possession guy.

cold-hard-steel
05-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Oh - kay ! I gots ta say it . Only cause Ben is a possession corterback .

steeldawg
05-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Oh - kay ! I gots ta say it . Only cause Ben is a possession corterback .

Huh?

cold-hard-steel
05-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Huh?

Corterback , Ben is a possession corterback . He duddin need no possession reciever , he's a possession corterback .

Seven
05-05-2013, 09:25 PM
I would, I mean there not really deep threats they are going to run shorter more precise routes especially in our offense. Brown has been primarily a possession guy with Wallace blowing the top off of defenses and sanders has not shown he can catch the ball down the field, they do most of their damage on shorter routes also they don't get in the endzone all that often. I guess it just depends on your idea of a possession receiver but for me if your not a deep ball guy and your not scoring tds, your a possession guy.

I could argue this easily, but I know better. It's pointless trying to refute your points when they're already invalid yet you chose to post them anyway.

steeldawg
05-06-2013, 05:52 AM
I could argue this easily, but I know better. It's pointless trying to refute your points when they're already invalid yet you chose to post them anyway.

Ya ok whatever you need to tell yourself.

43Hitman
05-06-2013, 06:51 AM
Ya ok whatever you need to tell yourself.

whateva troll

Seven
06-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Looks as if this was a false report?

Psycho Ward 86
06-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Looks like it. Even if it was true, it would probably do little to nothing anyways. With Breaston, all we'd be doing is adding another #3 receiver to the #3 we already have (Sanders)

Chidi29
06-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Looks like it. Even if it was true, it would probably do little to nothing anyways. With Breaston, all we'd be doing is adding another #3 receiver to the #3 we already have (Sanders)

Sanders as a #3? What? I mean, I guess you're talking about body type but Sanders is a starter now...

Psycho Ward 86
06-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Sanders as a #3? What? I mean, I guess you're talking about body type but Sanders is a starter now...

Nope you read right. Sanders is a #3 quality WR pretending to be a starter

43Hitman
06-10-2013, 11:36 PM
I'm not really sure that fair since he was ahead of Brown before the injury bug grabbed him. We'll see what this year brings, but I won't be surprised to see him excel and be a great compliment to Brown.

Psycho Ward 86
06-10-2013, 11:37 PM
I'm not really sure that fair since he was ahead of Brown before the injury bug grabbed him. We'll see what this year brings, but I won't be surprised to see him excel and be a great compliment to Brown.

lol that was 3 years ago. i hope you're right though

Craic
06-11-2013, 12:26 AM

:doh: the season hasn't even started yet.

Seven
06-11-2013, 12:28 AM
:doh: the season hasn't even started yet.

Unless you're prepared to hear all about why we should have kept Mike Wallace, don't even bother.

LLT
06-11-2013, 02:52 AM
I think what a lot of us are missing here is that our system is NOW set up so that each reciever should be able to play split end, flanker, and slot. The Bill Cowher era of "role" receivers is over for the most part. You cant look at our roster and expect to see a bruising split end...a speedy flanker...and a reckless slot reciever.

Sure...an argument can be made that there is a place for role players, but I think its also a VERY valid point that the versatility of our recievers makes it incredibly hard for defensive coordinators to pin down "tendancies" and plan ahead to shut our recievers down.

Our problem...at least as I percieve it...is that we do not have that third versatile reciever on the team. Cotchery is probably our best option and can play split and slot, but is not a threat at flanker. Burress can play split and is a threat in the redzone but we need someone who can play on the other 80 yards pof the field.

None of the rooks look to be plug and play recievers.....sooooooooo.....I think we had all better be prepared for Cotchery as the #3, with Wheaton and Dunn getting some reps to learn the system.

I personally would have liked to have seen us sign a vet. Laurent Robinson and Austin Collie would have been a possibilities , except their history of concussions scare me. Brandon Lloyd and Devery Henderson are both proven vets. Henderson was banged up last year but is still interesting...and Lloyd, though still productive, has been described as a "locker room lawyer" who can be moody and disruptive.

Craic
06-11-2013, 02:57 AM
I think what a lot of us are missing here is that our system is NOW set up so that each reciever should be able to play split end, flanker, and slot. The Bill Cowher era of "role" receivers is over for the most part. You cant look at our roster and expect to see a bruising spit end...a fast flanker...and a reckless slot reciever.

Sure...an argument can be made that there is a place for role players, but I think its also a VERY valid point that the versatility of our recievers makes it incredibly hard for defensive coordinators to pin down "tendancies" and plan ahead to shut our recievers down.

Our problem...at least as I percieve it...is that we do not have that third versatile reciever on the team. Cotchery is probably our best option and can play split and slot, but is not a threat at flanker. Burress can play split and is a threat in the redzone but we need someone who can play on the other 80 yards pof the field.

None of the rooks look to be plug and play recievers.....sooooooooo.....I think we had all better be prepared for Cotchery as the #3, with Wheaton and Dunn getting some reps to learn the system.

I personally would have liked to have seen us sign a vet. Laurent Robinson and Austin Collie would have been a possibilities , except their history of concussions scare me. Brandon Lloyd and Devery Henderson are both proven vets. Henderson was banged up last year but is still interesting...and Lloyd, though still productive, has been described as a "locker room lawyer" who can be moody and disruptive.

Actually, unless his skills have diminished over the last year or two, I have no problem with Cotchery as a number three. I see him as the Hines Ward type of possession receiver. Sure, he might not be flashy, but if you're in trouble on a play, or you need a few yards on a quick throw, he's the guy you're looking for if Miller is tied up.

LLT
06-11-2013, 03:15 AM
Actually, unless his skills have diminished over the last year or two, I have no problem with Cotchery as a number three. I see him as the Hines Ward type of possession receiver. Sure, he might not be flashy, but if you're in trouble on a play, or you need a few yards on a quick throw, he's the guy you're looking for if Miller is tied up.

Oh ...I agree. He will never be a deep threat, but he is a legitimate #3. I'm more worried about the veteran depth behind the first three....and the possibility that Wheaton could be a bust.

I'd feel a great deal more more comfortable if we signed a player like Devery Henderson and let him know that he has a chance to be the #2 or #3 if he is willing to light a fire under his butt.

Dwinsgames
06-11-2013, 07:42 AM
The bust factor should be considered with every WR drafted every year regardless of draft pos or pre draft hype ... WR is the most difficult pos of all to transition your game from college to pro level ...

IMO Wheaton has as good a shot as any to make that transition , I like the kid and his skill set but he was basically a 1 year wonder at WR in many peoples minds ( but 2 solid years really )as a collegiate but same can be said for 1st round pick Patterson because he was another 1 year wonder and could not break the mold of #2 on his own college team until his team mate ( that went undrafted ) got suspended from the team ......

zulater
06-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Lol.

Breaston >> Cothery >>>>>>>> Burress.

That's why you would sign him. The fact that Burress is on the roster is a joke.

I think the reason Burress is on the roster is because of the uncertain status of Heath Miller. I know they play different positions, but what it comes down to is we got a bunch of smurfs and you need someone with good hands and height for the red zone. Burress doesn't need to gain seperation in order to be dangerous in the red zone. Just put it up where only he can get it and you can get 3-4 td's just like that.

As far as Breaston, I don't know if he'll make the team or not, but he's got a chance to make the roster and contribute, so I don't see any downside to the signing.