PDA

View Full Version : Receiver Wheaton could make biggest splash among Steelers’ rookies

zulater
05-03-2013, 06:35 AM
Forget the comparisons to Mike Wallace, the receiver he might replace — if not in the lineup, then as the Steelers' best deep threat. While Wheaton is exceptionally fast, especially after making the catch, he is not Wallace-fast.
He won't have to be to still be effective in Todd Haley's offense, which values quick throws to receivers who run precise routes to get open in heavy traffic.
“Markus Wheaton is a very good route runner who is coming into the NFL and will be ready to play right away,” ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said.
Wheaton, the leading receiver in Oregon State history, fell to the Steelers in the third round partly because of his 4.45 time in the 40 at the NFL Scouting Combine. Jones, the Georgia outside linebacker, slipped to No. 17 overall partly because of his 40 time, too.
Wheaton says he had run in the 4.3s during other workouts, just not the one that counted.
“I know it probably hurt his feelings and made him feel bad, but we were happy because, when you put the tape on, he plays fast,” Haley said of Wheaton, who caught 91 passes for 1,244 yards and 11 touchdowns last season. “He's a fast player and quick. He's an exciting guy to have around.”
Haley also called Wheaton “a versatile, good, polished” player. And while Wallace had game-changing speed, the word “polished” wasn't used to describe him coming out of Mississippi, also as a third-round pick.
That route-running ability and Wheaton's dependable hands could be more assets for the Steelers from the start in a year in which the top four picks — Jones, Bell, Wheaton and safety Shamarko Thomas — could make major contributions.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3954424-74/wheaton-steelers-receiver#ixzz2SEEbDErn
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

43Hitman
05-03-2013, 06:51 AM
It sure would be nice to see him contribute this year, we certainly could use it. He sounds like a Holmes type receiver, hopefully not the Bongtonio part though. :smokin:

Hindes204
05-03-2013, 06:53 AM
The more research I do, the more excited I get about our draft

GBMelBlount
05-03-2013, 07:08 AM
Wheaton's polished route running may be better suited for Haley's offense AND a better fit for Ben who is not known for his long ball.

Shoes
05-03-2013, 07:56 AM

I agree....including some of the UDFA.

Devilsdancefloor
05-03-2013, 09:50 AM

im still a bit pissed we didnt take arthur brown in the 2nd and let him go to the ratbirds 8 picks later i really think bell would ave been there in the 3rd, but if wheaton impresses i might forget about it :lol:

st33lersguy
05-03-2013, 09:55 AM
This team needs rookies to start soon, their depth is at it's lowest levels in years

GBMelBlount
05-03-2013, 10:10 AM
im still a bit pissed we didnt take arthur brown in the 2nd and let him go to the ratbirds 8 picks later i really think bell would ave been there in the 3rd, but if wheaton impresses i might forget about it :lol:

I agree....whether Bell was available in the 3rd or not.

THAT is the primary reason I only graded our draft a B

cold-hard-steel
05-03-2013, 12:25 PM
well , it is what it is . That's about as good as i can say it . Let the sediment fall to the bottom , and skim the grease off the top . Better gravy every single time .

ALLD
05-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Lynn Swann did nothing his rookie year. A few short passes to Wheaton, yes, but expect Brown to receive the majority of throws- especially on 3rd down.