PDA

View Full Version : WR Justin Brown: A Diamond in the Rough

Mistah Q
05-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Although I still think the value of the pick was awful, I'm coming around on Justin Brown. After the draft he was the only pick I utterly didn't like, and yes, I'm looking at this through an optimistic lens since he's a Steeler now, but we may just have ourselves a diamond in the rough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZOYFWyKTns

He's got good hands in traffic, consistently gets downfield to block, and while his speed isn't very good he knows how to create space and make things happen in the field. My favorite play is at 5:20 but this isn't a highlight reel, just a video of his plays from three different games, so watch and let it sink in. I think we may have the big receiver we've been wanting... someone who will be clutch on third downs and a terror in the red zone. He's not a burner but with Sanders, Wheaton, etc., on board, we don't need him to be.

Mistah Q
05-02-2013, 01:51 PM
He was underused at Penn State, too. The transfer to Oklahoma for his final season really gave him an opportunity to shine... I wonder how he may have developed with four years in that system.

Seven
05-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Brown should compete well. I was really excited we got ahold of him.

ALLD
05-02-2013, 03:02 PM
We need another one of the college QBs who converts to a WR, ARE style.

Psycho Ward 86
05-02-2013, 03:15 PM
what happened to the toney clemons bandwagon? are we all off of that one after a year already? :lol:

Mistah Q
05-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Toney Clemons?

He may be decent after all but the Jags signed him off our practice squad. Toney Clemons = Not Ours.

Pristas
05-02-2013, 04:27 PM
First down Brown.

Get used to saying that if you're a Steelers fan.

stillers4me
05-02-2013, 04:34 PM
First down Brown.

Get used to saying that if you're a Steelers fan.

A. Brown or
J. Brown??

Mistah Q
05-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Both.

Steelman
05-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Do we have enough Browns, Jones, and Williams on our team yet? :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
05-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Hopefully there aren't too many Johnsons.

ALLD
05-03-2013, 01:34 PM
They got him just to confuse the opposing defense.
Coach: "They are going to throw to Brown."
D Safety: "Okay, I got Brown if he goes deep."
CB: "Which one? Huh?"

Mojouw
05-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Toney Clemons, Fred Gibson, Dallas Baker, Lee Mays, Chris Taylor, Danny Farmer. And that is just the guys since 2000!

What guys is that you say? Wide Receivers drafted from the 4th round on by the Steelers who were supposed to be a "deal" or a "projectable talent".

Not saying that Justin Brown won't or can't be good or even great, but history is not on his side.

Count Steeler
05-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Toney Clemons, Fred Gibson, Dallas Baker, Lee Mays, Chris Taylor, Danny Farmer. And that is just the guys since 2000!

What guys is that you say? Wide Receivers drafted from the 4th round on by the Steelers who were supposed to be a "deal" or a "projectable talent".

Not saying that Justin Brown won't or can't be good or even great, but history is not on his side.

Except for Antonio Brown, 6th round success. Or is it the name that makes the difference? JK. As TMC said not long ago, you are lucky if 2 of your draft picks are still playing after 5 years. I get the draft enthusiasm, but reality will set in. It will be a miracle if 5 of these draftees are still here after their first contract.

tube517
05-03-2013, 09:55 PM
As long as they don't call him Diamond Money.

Wheaton is Wheat Money
Plax is ShootFoot Money
Cotchery is Slow Money
Spaeth is Pee Money