PDA

View Full Version : Cook: A Batch full of success

stillers4me
04-29-2013, 06:05 PM
First, longtime offensive coordinator Bruce Arians was gone after the 2011 season, pushed out by Steelers president Art Rooney II. Now, backup quarterback Charlie Batch is gone, too, finished after 11 seasons with his hometown Steelers. Ben Roethlisberger isn't quite sure what to expect when the team gathers later this spring for offseason workouts. Batch was with him in the quarterbacks meeting room every day since Roethlisberger joined the Steelers as a No. 1 draft choice in 2004.

"It's definitely not going to be the same," Roethlisberger said. "Charlie and I always sat next to each other. I'm going to miss the laughs and the talks that we had. I owe so much to him."...........

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/ron-cook-a-batch-full-of-success-685435/#ixzz2RtdrEFJs

ALLD
04-29-2013, 06:25 PM
One of these days BB is going to be the one going out the door. Batch had plenty of bonus years with the Steelers where no other team would keep him.

Moose
04-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Another 'class' Steeler at the end of his Black/Yellow journey. His actions on the field and off the field a tribute and example of a true professional. An example that the young stars coming up could and should learn from and copy. Thanks Charlie and good luck.

HollywoodSteel
04-29-2013, 08:20 PM
"...Batch won the NFL's Byron "Whizzer" White Man of the Year Award..."

I had to read that sentence a couple of times to make sure that there is not, in fact, a "White Man of the Year Award."

bleedsteel
04-29-2013, 09:12 PM
That was a great article, that I happened to read just before coming on this board.
I hope we can keep Charlie around in a coaching capacity.
Not sure he is better than Fichtner, but he is a hell of a hometown guy.
A class act, that I am sorry to see get too old to play the game.
If it came down to him or Gradkowski, I would STILL be tempted to put Charlie on the field.
anyhow,
Now, I am waiting for everyone to jump on Ben, for saying he valued Charlie`s opinion more than anyone else`s...
Even tho he said "no disrespect to anyone else"... LOL.

Psycho Ward 86
04-30-2013, 12:40 AM
come back as an assistant quarterbacks coach! (are we allowed to do create that position? I heard somewhere that either the buccaneers currently have the biggest coaching staff ever amassed since the merger)

Craic
04-30-2013, 01:09 AM
Went out with the win that he should've gone out on. Good for him.

I wanted to see Bettis come back as a RB coach. Didn't happen.
I wanted to see Ward come back as a WR coach. Didn't happen.
I won't hold my breath for Batch coming back as a QB coach, though I'd be glad if it happened.

GBMelBlount
04-30-2013, 06:22 AM
Batch is a great man and a great role model.

I am sad to see him go.

GodfatherofSoul
04-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Did I miss Batch being cut? Was that recently?

tube517
04-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Did I miss Batch being cut? Was that recently?

Batch is a free agent

Spike
04-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Charlie knows...

"I think this isn't about replacing me. Big picture, 'Can we develop Landry Jones to be the starter? he could be our guy for the next 10 years.' We don't know. But with the contracts for quarterbacks these days, he'd certainly be a heck of a lot cheaper than Ben at age 34 or 35 or 36."