PDA

View Full Version : Steelers hope for fast learners from draft class

stillers4me
04-29-2013, 06:03 PM
The Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/) will bring in their newly assembled rookie class for an orientation session this weekend, and it might be the only time some of them feel like brand-new NFL players.

The Class of '13 likely will be asked to do more, and do it earlier, than any other class in Mike Tomlin's reign as coach. And maybe back into Bill Cowher's tenure, too.

The Steelers are a team in need, and it is already being reflected in their depth chart.............

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3889716-74/steelers-class-jones#ixzz2RtdJPmKd

ALLD
04-29-2013, 06:26 PM
We need to start some (R).

Moose
04-29-2013, 06:37 PM
We need to start some (R).

DITTO !

HollywoodSteel
04-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Has a rookie linebacker ever been a day one starter in the Lebeau era?

tube517
04-29-2013, 08:18 PM
Has a rookie linebacker ever been a day one starter in the Lebeau era?

Kendrell Bell in 2001 but Lebeau wasn't the DC

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 2

st33lersguy
04-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Bell should be the opening day starter

HollywoodSteel
04-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Kendrell Bell in 2001 but Lebeau wasn't the DC

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I looked that up but, as you said, Lebeau was not here when he was a rookie. Chad Brown started 9 games as a rookie but I'm not sure if he started day one.

Psycho Ward 86
04-29-2013, 10:59 PM

why, because he's tall and runs even taller? has some cute hurdles and thinks he can turn the corner with his so-so speed in the nfl? and isnt nearly as strong and capable of pushing the pile as his weight would suggest?

Another concern is his weight. He was listed as 244lb for the Trojans. Just as accordingly, he said so himself in an interview with Steelers.com that he played out the season at over 240lb. At the combine he weighed 230lb. One would hope this would make him faster, but how will it effect his strength and physicality?

Kid isnt ready to start until he gets coached up big time

EDIT: Here's the transcript btw, im sure im not the only who caught it: http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-select-RB-LeVeon-Bell-in-2nd-round/85719270-aa58-4b8f-8f07-e4a218f25716

Seven
04-29-2013, 11:31 PM

I don't see why. We have Dwyer, Redman, Batch and Stephens-Howling all on the roster right now and all have shown they belong in this league. Bell looks to have a lot of potential, but that doesn't mean anything right now. We had the best run game we've had in a few seasons behind Dwyer and Redman last year. I'm sure the idea with Bell is that he'll be an eventual starter, but I wouldn't say he should be atop the depth chart on opening day unless he goes Adrian Peterson on everyone in camp.

Psycho Ward 86
04-30-2013, 12:38 AM
I don't see why. We have Dwyer, Redman, Batch and Stephens-Howling all on the roster right now and all have shown they belong in this league. Bell looks to have a lot of potential, but that doesn't mean anything right now. We had the best run game we've had in a few seasons behind Dwyer and Redman last year. I'm sure the idea with Bell is that he'll be an eventual starter, but I wouldn't say he should be atop the depth chart on opening day unless he goes Adrian Peterson on everyone in camp.

LOL. Lets not push the envelope on that one.

GBMelBlount
04-30-2013, 06:51 AM
before making their one reach pick in seventh-rounder Nick Williams, a 320-pound defensive end from Samford. Only Williams and quarterback Landry Jones won't be expected to contribute this year.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3889716-74/steelers-class-jones#ixzz2Rwjn1vsn
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

It looks like Nick Wilson is an absolute beast at 320 lbs. and his measurables are very good.

Unfortunately it does not translate to tape.

From the read it sounds like he lacks intensity and follow through.

Another Chardonnay sipper?

We can only hope this project turns out as well as McClendon has.

st33lersguy
04-30-2013, 09:28 AM

None of those guys are capable starters (last year proved that) and the RB by committee thing really did not work (being ranked 26th in the league and averaging under 100 yards a game won't work). Both those guys seem to better when used in small doses anyway.

GBMelBlount
04-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Running back by committee worked to the tune of 4.5 ypc the year before.

I would argue that injuries was the biggest drag on production...

SteelerFanInStl
04-30-2013, 10:34 AM
LOL. Lets not push the envelope on that one.

I agree. Despite Batch being a 'great guy' I don't think that he belongs in the NFL.

TheRuneMeister
04-30-2013, 11:39 AM
...though I haven't seen much of him, I think I'll take an early gamble on J.D. Woods. Thats my outsider to make the team. I think he has more potential than the other rookie WRs. (those hands...damn)
I actually think we can get some production out of Jones this year. I don't think we will see any rookie starters. Lot's of potential in this draft though. Thomas might be ready for prime time next year.

steelreserve
04-30-2013, 12:10 PM

RB is a position where you don't gain a damn thing from easing into the job or watching and learning. If you had the instincts in college to find holes and make yourself hard to bring down, those are the same things you need in the pros. You start your most talented guy whether he's a rookie or a 10-year veteran. If Bell is as good as his draft status seems to say, the only thing that should hold him back is if it takes a while to get comfortable learning the offense, particularly the blocking component. Otherwise, we didn't draft him to be a sweatshirt model.

NJarhead
04-30-2013, 12:16 PM
RB is a position where you don't gain a damn thing from easing into the job or watching and learning. If you had the instincts in college to find holes and make yourself hard to bring down, those are the same things you need in the pros. You start your most talented guy whether he's a rookie or a 10-year veteran. If Bell is as good as his draft status seems to say, the only thing that should hold him back is if it takes a while to get comfortable learning the offense, particularly the blocking component. Otherwise, we didn't draft him to be a sweatshirt model.

I agree. Redman is a good short yardage guy, but showed little as a starter. Will Dwyer even be on the roster in September?
Bell was behind a crappy line, I'm assuming ours will be a step up from that. He'll get coached before then. I want to see him start right away.
Shit, due to injury Willie Parker (undrafted) started on day one and lit the Titans up.

steelreserve
04-30-2013, 12:41 PM
I agree. Redman is a good short yardage guy, but showed little as a starter. Will Dwyer even be on the roster in September?
Bell was behind a crappy line, I'm assuming ours will be a step up from that. He'll get coached before then. I want to see him start right away.
Shit, due to injury Willie Parker (undrafted) started on day one and lit the Titans up.

That's a good point. It sounds like he probably won't, given how they are/were shopping him around. It's a shame that Dwyer-for-Joe Mays trade didn't work out with the Broncos; that would solve both our too-many-RBs problem and our not-enough-ILBs problem at once.