PDA

View Full Version : Let the Harrison/Jones comparisons begin

stillers4me
04-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Already, Jarvis Jones is being compared to James Harrison.

After all, the former Georgia star was taken in the first round of the NFL Draft to eventually replace Harrison at right outside linebacker.

“I’ve got a lot of work to do to get to James Harrison’s level,” Jones said late Thursday night. “The guy is powerful, has speed ... he’s a beast. He’s one of the guys I look up to as far as trying to learn how to better my game and better my craft. He’s a great player, and I love him and the way he plays.

“As for me, how would I compare my game to his? I think we both play relentlessly. You can tell we’re both passionate about this game in the way we play. We’re ball hawks, we’re impact players and we make plays when they need to be made.”...........

Read more @ http://www.timesonline.com/blogs/steel_crazy/let-the-harrison-jones-comparisons-begin

- - - Updated - - -

By the end of this season, I hope we are all saying, "James who?"

ALLD
04-28-2013, 04:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCrDuGyZ6FA

tube517
04-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Meh...take away all the TFLs, sacks and hurries and he's just a special teams player. :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2013, 05:29 PM
honestly dont see it. i think jones is much more reliant on speed and is a better hand fighter (or at least will be eventually). Harrison seems to embrace contact a lot more when he's rushing the passer.

Seven
04-29-2013, 09:33 PM
I haven't seen as much of Jones from his time at Goergia as I would eventually like to before the season gets underway, but the biggest similarity I see in their games is the fact that they both know how to force fumbles. Jones swings that right arm of his like I've only seen Harrison do otherwise. They're both high motor guys and both Harrison and Jones step up in the clutch.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I think I just repeated what Jarvis himself described perfectly.

“As for me, how would I compare my game to his? I think we both play relentlessly. You can tell we’re both passionate about this game in the way we play. We’re ball hawks, we’re impact players and we make plays when they need to be made.”

- - - Updated - - -

Stylistically, Jones has a broader reportoire in my opinion. He employs the speed-bull, but not as masterfully as James can. I think if he develops correctly, Jones could ultimately be as good as James but employ a more expansive array of moves. Hopefully that happens.

Craic
04-29-2013, 10:03 PM
You know, I seriously wish that people would let new players come in and be themselves, rather than always comparing them to former players. I don't want another James Harrison. I want a Jarvis Jones. I want to see what Jones can do, not how well he can imitate Harrison.

It's pretty dang unfair to the new kids, I believe. (Stillers - this is directed at the author of the article—not you).

blackngldblood
04-29-2013, 10:53 PM
Agreed. Harrison made us forget Porter. He didn't mimic him at all. Let Jarvis be Jarvis.

steelreserve
04-29-2013, 10:55 PM
OK, how's this for a comparison: Harrison played something like 130 games in the NFL. Jones has played 0 games. That's about the only one we know for sure so far.

Steeldude
04-30-2013, 07:18 AM
Harrison is one of a kind. He is pure power. Jones is not like Harrison.

zulater
04-30-2013, 02:10 PM

Gregg Lloyd was great, he was a different player than Harrison. Joey Porter was very good. He was a different player than Harrison. So yeah Jarvis Jones wont be Harrison. Harrison's one of a kind, I doubt there will ever be anyone quite like him. But that doesn't mean Jarvis can't and wont carve out his own niche in LeBeau's defense and wont be an exceptional Steeler.

st33lersguy
04-30-2013, 03:56 PM
It will be nearly impossible to replicate the tenacity of Harrison. Every play he would also seek to go through the tackle and to the ball carrier

GoSlash27
04-30-2013, 05:52 PM
We can't possibly compare Jones to Harrison. Right now he's just a rookie without so much as a single preseason game under his belt. Maybe he'll eclipse Jack Lambert as the greatest linebacker to wear the black 'n' gold and maybe he'll be a complete bust.
Any talk of "comparing him" to *anybody* right now is premature.

stillers4me
04-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Just live up to the name SacmanJones.

ALLD
04-30-2013, 06:17 PM
We can't possibly compare Jones to Harrison. Right now he's just a rookie without so much as a single preseason game under his belt. Maybe he'll eclipse Jack Lambert as the greatest linebacker to wear the black 'n' gold and maybe he'll be a complete bust.
Any talk of "comparing him" to *anybody* right now is premature.

I watched Lambert play and he was the greatest Steeler LBer.

zulater
04-30-2013, 06:24 PM
I watched Lambert play and he was the greatest Steeler LBer.

Basically I'm not arguing, but I would put Jack Ham on that same tier.

ALLD
04-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Dobra Shunka was smarter and made the splash plays on defense, but he had all his own te eth.

wwhickok
05-01-2013, 05:51 AM

You're right Jones isn't like Harrison, in fact, I think Jones is going to be better. I also think we're not going to have to wait long to see Jones on the field. He may or may not beat Worilds out for the starting job, but, if not sooner, after our Bye Week, I think Jones will be the starter at ROLB. I don't think Worilds is on the roster in 2014.

Moose
05-01-2013, 09:11 AM
I liked Harrison when he was with Steeler's, now that he's gone, I'm excited to watch Jones carve his own mold. Young blood on the team is going to be fun to watch.

st33lersguy
05-01-2013, 09:17 AM
We will be comparing this kid to someone down the road depending on how he does. If he does great, he will be compared to guys like Harrison, Porter, Lloyd, if he is awful he will be compared to the likes of Huey Richardson

Spike
05-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Leave the kid alone, and until he gets his own SB MVP trophy, there is no comparison.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3079/3251354569_6893ce747f_z.jpg

Psycho Ward 86
05-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Leave the kid alone, and until he gets his own SB MVP trophy, there is no comparison.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3079/3251354569_6893ce747f_z.jpg

time to check up on your facts :chuckle:

Spike
05-01-2013, 05:39 PM
well, you know what I mean, he deserved it over Holmes anyway

"Longest Interception return TD in SB History"

how's that

zulater
05-01-2013, 10:49 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/922759_569854643046672_748052723_n.jpg

Harrison was at the Pens game tonight with Keisel.

86WARD
05-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Jarvis Jones decided to change his jersey number to No. 95, which once belonged to another ROLB of distinction for the team: Greg Lloyd

GoSlash27
05-02-2013, 10:19 AM
time to check up on your facts :chuckle:

Yeah... but he's right in principle if not exactly the facts. We all know Deebo won us that game and deserved MVP.

SteelerFanInStl
05-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Jarvis Jones decided to change his jersey number to No. 95, which once belonged to another ROLB of distinction for the team: Greg Lloyd

That's pretty cool. Maybe I need to get my old Lloyd jersey out now.

Seven
05-02-2013, 11:18 PM
I watched more Jones today. His pass rush reminds me of... Jason Worilds. He has more power, but his general movements remind me a lot of Worilds. I see similarities between he and Von Miller, too. He's not a James Harrison/Melvin Ingram type in my opinion apart from the attributes he shares with Harrison that I've already mentioned. I'm excited to see what he can do once he gets on the field.

Craic
05-03-2013, 04:13 AM
well, you know what I mean, he deserved it over Holmes anyway

"Longest Interception return TD in SB History"

how's that

Ain't no way. Holmes was golden that entire last drive. He and Ben were responsible for most of that entire drive.

Steeldude
05-03-2013, 08:11 AM
You're right Jones isn't like Harrison, in fact, I think Jones is going to be better. I also think we're not going to have to wait long to see Jones on the field. He may or may not beat Worilds out for the starting job, but, if not sooner, after our Bye Week, I think Jones will be the starter at ROLB. I don't think Worilds is on the roster in 2014.

If Jones does start I hope they move Worilds to the left and get rid of Woodley's contract in 2014. Eat the dead money or trade him, if possible.

Devilsdancefloor
05-03-2013, 09:46 AM
Until i see this young man set the edge on running plays there sholdnt be any comparisons

Mojouw
05-03-2013, 10:18 AM
I don't think we are going to see anyone play OLB in a 3-4 with as much strength and a raw leverage based game as Harrison did in a long time. As mentioned above, I have no idea where the Steelers are going to ever find anyone who set and held the edge in the run as well as Harrison did ever again. For several years there, Harrison was simply (legally) unblockable when he felt like it.