PDA

View Full Version : Richardson heads list of Steelers' biggest busts

stillers4me
04-28-2013, 04:19 PM
Huey Richardson may have been the biggest bust in Steelers’ draft history. But he didn’t let his mysterious demise in football stop him from having a successful career in the business world. An All-America defensive end at the Florida, Richardson was taken by the Steelers with the 15th overall pick of the 1991 Draft. The Steelers planned on playing him at outside linebacker in their 3-4 base defense, but the plan ever materialized.

At mini-camp in 1991, Richardson was moved to inside linebacker and failed miserably. That season, Richardson battled through knee injuries and played sparingly in only five games.

The next year, when Bill Cowher succeeded Chuck Noll coach, it became obvious that Richardson didn’t fit into the Steelers’ plans. During training camp, Cowher uttered a famous line: “Can you cut a first-round pick?”.........

Read more @ http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/richardson-heads-list-of-steelers-biggest-busts/article_1be01ed5-0045-5276-a9c6-c5c391c6e015.html

ALLD
04-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Limas Sweed is biggest bust in last 10 years, and didn't need to be.

TomlinSteelTribe
04-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Limas Sweed is biggest bust in last 10 years, and didn't need to be.

It is a shame about Sweed. Always seemed like he was just one step/catch away from turning the corner. The missing tall wideout we constantly hear about nowadays.

I guess it was over ten years ago, but Jamain Stephens never did a thing, if I'm even remembering the right name, haha.

tube517
04-28-2013, 10:15 PM
Alonzo Jackson

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 2

TomlinSteelTribe
04-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Sweed might be part of a rare wr group, more remembered for a block than any catch.

- - - Updated - - -

Alonzo Jackson

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 2

That is a good one. I think Cowher got some ST tread out of him, at the least.

- - - Updated - - -

Colclough can't be too far behind Zo. Wasn't it he and Stonio who basically blew a playoff season with botched punt returns?

fansince'76
04-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Although he turned out to be a bust, I think Sweed was severely mishandled by Tomlin and company. After making a couple of big drops, he was never given any real chance to redeem himself, and I think it killed his confidence. Vince Lombardi inherently understood that some players need a kick in the butt while some need a pat on the back after they screw up. I think Sweed needed a pat on the back and was instead kicked in the butt.

Shoes
04-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Although he turned out to be a bust, I think Sweed was severely mishandled by Tomlin and company. After making a couple of big drops, he was never given any real chance to redeem himself, and I think it killed his confidence. Vince Lombardi inherently understood that some players need a kick in the butt while some need a pat on the back after they screw up. I think Sweed needed a pat on the back and was instead kicked in the butt.

This

TomlinSteelTribe
04-28-2013, 10:35 PM

This very well might have been the case. It's always hard to know without being at practices... For sure, there was a lack of focus and confidence the guy was dealing with. Tomlin is considered a "players coach," so it's hard to know where the fault lies. You can't baby players forever, and Sweed was kept around for a while. Imo, if they aren't mentally strong enough, it's probably best to weed them out quickly. But I get what you're saying.

Psycho Ward 86
05-01-2013, 12:48 AM
another thing about sweed. even if you hate him, you gotta respect the kid for continuing to try. so many articles about him trying to make 2011 his coming out party, only to have that ended by injury.

not to mention him making up for that whopper of a drop during our 2008 AFCCG with a big 3rd down conversion later in the game and a blood splattering block on chris mcallister. Looked like hines was still out there!

Seven
05-01-2013, 01:02 AM
not to mention him making up for that whopper of a drop during our 2008 AFCCG with a big 3rd down conversion later in the game and a blood splattering block on chris mcallister

I think that hit was on Corey Ivy. Not that it matters much.

GBMelBlount
05-01-2013, 06:46 AM

Agreed.

Lack of confidence can be a killer.

While I responded best to the tough coaches many teammates didn't.

A great coach understands how to best motivate not only the team but each player individual imo.

zulater
05-01-2013, 02:11 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/draft.htm

The entire 1985 draft class sucked, and first round pick Darrly Sims was totally worthless. After Huey Richardson the worst first round pick in Steelers history. The 85 class as a group was the worst draft class in Steelers history.

ALLD
05-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Never saw Sweed practice, but I would have thrown him some short passes to boost his confidence. I have seen Ward drop a couple behind the LOS near the end of his career too. You never know.

dislocatedday
05-01-2013, 04:32 PM
I have to throw Tim Worley's name into the mix for those of you who remember him. I think he was a top 10 pick in the first round of the '89 draft if I remember correctly. He showed some flashes his rookie year, but that was it. His production nosedived quickly and then he failed or missed his drug tests and got suspended by the NFL, leading to the Steelers trading him soon thereafter.

zulater
05-01-2013, 05:34 PM
I have to throw Tim Worley's name into the mix for those of you who remember him. I think he was a top 10 pick in the first round of the '89 draft if I remember correctly. He showed some flashes his rookie year, but that was it. His production nosedived quickly and then he failed or missed his drug tests and got suspended by the NFL, leading to the Steelers trading him soon thereafter.

Worley not only had drug issues, he was also possibly the dumbest Steeler in franchise history. It was said he usually had no idea of what the play was or what his assignment was in it. I guess at Georgia it was either run left or run right, or try the middle. Different cat in the pro's and he was lost as a result, despite having first rate athletic ability.

The Steelers had two first round picks that draft, and also drafted the equally worthless Tom Ricketts with the 24th pick. But the draft wasn't a bust as they got Carnell Lake in the 2nd round.

tube517
05-01-2013, 09:25 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/draft.htm

The entire 1985 draft class sucked, and first round pick Darrly Sims was totally worthless. After Huey Richardson the worst first round pick in Steelers history. The 85 class as a group was the worst draft class in Steelers history.

Lipps Merriweather Woodson Dawson Lake and Lloyd were about it for the entire 80s. Not only did '85 suck but the whole damn decade. And just because we drafted a dude named "WEEGIE" makes the 80s even worse.

(Mike Mayock in '81 went on to become the greatest NFL Network announcer ever, though. :chuckle:)