PDA

View Full Version : Interesting tweet from Charlie Batch

stillers4me
04-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Gotta love this man's passion! I have a feeling we are going to keep him on speed dial incase of dire emergancy...and he'll not hesitate to step up to the job. Love this man!

Charlie Batch‏@CharlieBatch1639m (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/CharlieBatch16/status/328489299697864704)
Don't throw away the old bucket until you know whether the new one holds water
Swedish proverb

:lol:

43Hitman
04-28-2013, 08:36 AM
Gotta love this man's passion! I have a feeling we are going to keep him on speed dial incase of dire emergancy...and he'll not hesitate to step up to the job. Love this man!

Charlie Batch‏@CharlieBatch1639m (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/CharlieBatch16/status/328489299697864704)
Swedish proverb

haha, that's great. He's been a rock for us for many years.

venom
04-28-2013, 08:39 AM
Classic

Godfather
04-28-2013, 09:40 AM
They should make him a coach. Then if someone gets hurt, they can reactivate him.

Count Steeler
04-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Yes, please make him a coach. He should not be on the roster.

HollywoodSteel
04-28-2013, 10:33 AM
They should make him a coach. Then if someone gets hurt, they can reactivate him.

I've always wondered if that's allowed. I've been thinking we should do this with Batch for the last couple of years. He'd be at all the practices and QB meetings (and no rules against a coach tossing a ball now and then). If they can call a guy at home out of retirement why not a coach? Although at this point I believe he's played his last game. I don't even want to think about the amount of injuries required for the Steelers to put a helmet on him again.

st33lersguy
04-28-2013, 10:37 AM
He could teach Landry Jones how to be a solid backup

oneforthetoe
04-28-2013, 10:54 AM
I love Charlie. I wish he could play for another five years. Unfortunately, he probably dislocated four fingers typing his tweet.

TomlinSteelTribe
04-28-2013, 12:09 PM

I think this is a great plan. I doubt there are any rules against it, but who knows...

TheRuneMeister
04-28-2013, 12:38 PM
I know it almost never happens, but yes, they should put him on the coaching staff. He is the kind of guy that should be a Steeler for life. Whether he wants that or not is of course a different story.

Moose
04-28-2013, 01:19 PM
I love his tweet. How true a statement. I do agree, it would be nice to have him on the staff teaching the young both, class and technique.

steelreserve
04-28-2013, 01:32 PM
I've always wondered if that's allowed. I've been thinking we should do this with Batch for the last couple of years. He'd be at all the practices and QB meetings (and no rules against a coach tossing a ball now and then). If they can call a guy at home out of retirement why not a coach? Although at this point I believe he's played his last game. I don't even want to think about the amount of injuries required for the Steelers to put a helmet on him again.

I don't think there are any rules against it. The problem kind of takes care of itself. If you can still play, you won't sign as a coach, you'll sign somewhere else as a player. And virtually everyone who signs on a coaching staff is done playing anyway.

And even if you get a situation like this once in a blue moon, it's not the end of the world. It's not like we'd be bringing in Dan Marino in his prime as a ringer; we'd be bringing in a 40-year-old journeyman. And for it to even come into play at all, we'd have to be down to our 4th-string QB, which is not only unlikely but also means we're pretty much screwed anyway.

Nadroj 20
04-28-2013, 03:31 PM
If the old bucket doesn't hold water its getting tossed no matter what. I like ya Charlie and think you'd make a great coach. Would love to keep him around in that capacity but that's it.

steelerdude15
04-28-2013, 09:02 PM
I'm sorry Charlie, but it may seem your time is up. We love you to death and all of us would love for you to be a coach, but I think its safe to say your playing days are over.

Godfather
04-28-2013, 10:01 PM
I don't think there are any rules against it. The problem kind of takes care of itself. If you can still play, you won't sign as a coach, you'll sign somewhere else as a player. And virtually everyone who signs on a coaching staff is done playing anyway.

And even if you get a situation like this once in a blue moon, it's not the end of the world. It's not like we'd be bringing in Dan Marino in his prime as a ringer; we'd be bringing in a 40-year-old journeyman. And for it to even come into play at all, we'd have to be down to our 4th-string QB, which is not only unlikely but also means we're pretty much screwed anyway.

It's possible he would have to clear waivers. That wouldn't be a problem though....nobody is going to take him and tie up a roster spot just to block us.

Steeldude
04-29-2013, 12:33 AM
Charlie Batch‏@CharlieBatch1639m
Swedish proverb

What if the old bucket leaks and costs $1,000,000 to rent?

stillers4me
04-29-2013, 05:35 PM
Steelers Depot‏@Steelersdepot1h (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/Steelersdepot/status/328985565842243585)
Charlie Batch will participate in the Sports Journalism & Communications Boot Camp this year on MAY 13-16 at Bowling Green State University

BigNastyDefense
04-29-2013, 05:39 PM

Swedish proverb

Ah, love Batch! I think he may stick around for another season.

HollywoodSteel
04-29-2013, 08:36 PM

Yes, the player would have to pass up any other NFL opportunities if they happened to be there, but I doubt this would have happened with Batch the last two years, and even if another team showed interest he might have chosen to stay with the Steelers for home town reasons. I could see the NFL frowning on this kind of thing because, for all practical purposes, you are working around the 53 man roster rule and you could pay the guy as much as you want since there are no cap issues for coaches. We could have started the year with only 2 QBs on the roster (since you can't have an "emergency" third QB dress on game day anymore) and then if one of your top 2 QBs goes down, you cut someone and sign Batch who hasn't missed a day of practice all year. If we could have done this last year why didn't we? What's the downside?

Dwinsgames
04-29-2013, 08:51 PM
Yes, the player would have to pass up any other NFL opportunities if they happened to be there, but I doubt this would have happened with Batch the last two years, and even if another team showed interest he might have chosen to stay with the Steelers for home town reasons. I could see the NFL frowning on this kind of thing because, for all practical purposes, you are working around the 53 man roster rule and you could pay the guy as much as you want since there are no cap issues for coaches. We could have started the year with only 2 QBs on the roster (since you can't have an "emergency" third QB dress on game day anymore) and then if one of your top 2 QBs goes down, you cut someone and sign Batch who hasn't missed a day of practice all year. If we could have done this last year why didn't we? What's the downside?

retirement papers with the league may have to come into play before you can go from player to coach , then once you want to return to playing you have to file reinstatement papers ... takes time for that stuff to happen .... now I am not sure you MUST retire but I suspect it could be the case .... again I do not know this as a matter of fact just have a feeling it could be the reason why

HollywoodSteel
04-29-2013, 08:56 PM
retirement papers with the league may have to come into play before you can go from player to coach , then once you want to return to playing you have to file reinstatement papers ... takes time for that stuff to happen .... now I am not sure you MUST retire but I suspect it could be the case .... again I do not know this as a matter of fact just have a feeling it could be the reason why

I thought retirement papers were just kind of an unnecessary formality, but you certainly could be right when it comes to being a coach, maybe for this very reason.