PDA

View Full Version : 4b Landry Jones

GBMelBlount
04-28-2013, 06:58 AM
Many people were surprised and disappointed with the Landry Jones pick due to our other pressing needs.

Was it really a bad pick or at 4b. was Landry a great value and arguably worth the risk to perhaps fill our biggest long term need?

How many quarterbacks in college have averaged 4000 yds passing and 30 TD's a year for 4 years setting school conference and national records for yards completions and attempts.. only one Landry Jones.. Landry threw almost a 1000 more passes than Nassib and still had a much higher completion average. No Landry didn't do it with all bubble screens he was ranked 2nd with the most air Yards.. only 20% of his passes were at or behind the line of scrimmage... Jones completes 72% of passes 10-15 yards.. Landry doesn't suck at pressure.. He averaged 1 sack and 1 INT every 42 attempts Nassib was sacked once every 16 passes.. No the OU Line was not that good as evidence by the running game and how many times it got bogged down in the red zone.. Landry is good at avoiding pressure 2.44 sec snap to release average and is good at making quick decisions in his up tempo no huddle offense.. Yes Landry wasn't perfect and made mistakes.. Gruden was right he refused to give up on plays and needed to check down more.. If Landry had real fatal flaws they would have hindered him.. Landry has the the best size, arm strength, and accuracy combination of anyone in the draft... and the best fit for Marrone up tempo no huddle offence... IF you were Marrone who would you pick..

4 yr Landry Jones 16646 yards TDs 123 attempts 2183 Ints 52 63% ave comp YPA 7.5 54 sacks 39-11 as a starter 2 conferences Chamionships 3 bowl wins,

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showt...ce-over-Nassib

*-referenced post not vetted for accuracy

fansince'76
04-28-2013, 07:01 AM
The 3-game stretch with Ben out of the lineup killed our season. If we win the game against Baltimore that Leftwich started and was largely ineffective in, the Ravens wouldn't even have made the playoffs and we would have. The need to rush Ben back into action when he was obviously not 100% in either 2011 or 2012 (since Ben at 65-70% > Leftwich and Batch at 100%) also wouldn't have been nearly as pressing.

Based on the end results of the last two seasons and the fact that one of our backup QBs has bones of glass and can't even fall down without breaking a couple of ribs and the other one is one of the oldest players in the league, I'd say backup QB was another fairly serious need.

Count Steeler
04-28-2013, 07:10 AM
Even hindsight isn't 20/20, because we don't know what the alternate path would have brought. I am mixed on the pick. I like the kid's potential. It also gives the Steelers needed depth, especially if, God forbid, Ben does not finish his career with the Steelers, or if it is shortened.

Yeah, thinking it through it as I write this, this pick was extremely high value and the Steelers made the right decision.

GBMelBlount
04-28-2013, 07:24 AM
The 3-game stretch with Ben out of the lineup killed our season. If we win the game against Baltimore that Leftwich started and was largely ineffective in, the Ravens wouldn't even have made the playoffs and we would have. The need to rush Ben back into action when he was obviously not 100% in either 2011 or 2012 (since Ben at 65-70% > Leftwich and Batch at 100%) also wouldn't have been nearly as pressing.

Based on the end results of the last two seasons and the fact that one of our backup QBs has bones of glass and can't even fall down without breaking a couple of ribs and the other one is one of the oldest players in the league, I'd say backup QB was another fairly serious need.

Gary, you know I have been more critical than anyone of the Steeler's decision to play Ben when injured and largely ineffective the last two years.

That is why I was surpised they let Sherrod Johnson go when there was ostensibly nothing imo that indicated (based on preseason performance) that he could not be developed.

I am just hoping, if the potential is there, that they give this kid time to develop.

salamander
04-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Based on what we've seen from our QB injury situation the last few seasons, I like the pick.

Mojouw
04-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Agree with what has been said here. Too many write-ups of the pick in the national media are critical of the use of a 4th round pick on a QB with other pressing needs yet to be addressed. I don't care about any of those other needs when/if Ben is injured. This has been two seasons in a row that it can be argued the team had a shortened playoff run and failed to make the playoffs largely due to a multi-week absence by the starting QB. It was high time to get a back-up who either doesn't stink or isn't also always injured. I would have preferred other prospects myself, but I don't hate the pick.

Moose
04-28-2013, 01:27 PM
I also agree with the pick and what has been said. We also have to take in consideration, and importantly, the concussions Ben has had. A few more, and whether or not Ben wants to end it, he may be forced to shelve his career.

steelreserve
04-28-2013, 01:38 PM
I think it was a fine pick for the value we got. It was less of a need after we signed Gradkowski, but still a place we could use help. I can't be mad about it because there also turned out to be plenty of talent on the board to fill our needs even in rounds 6-7. It's not Landry's fault that we thought those picks through about as carefully as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwpD3USKEKw

tube517
04-28-2013, 02:13 PM
There is no way we could have another year of "Grumpy Old Men"as backups. Plus, our 4th string QB (Earl "Heath" Miller) is going to be out at the beginning of the season. :chuckle:

stillers4me
04-28-2013, 02:20 PM
There is no way we could have another year of "Grumpy Old Men"as backups. Plus, our 4th string QB (Earl "Heath" Miller) is going to be out at the beginning of the season. :chuckle:

I hate paying my insurance premium, too. But basically this is what this amounts to. You can either consider it a waste of a pick....or the payment on that insurance policy. Like someone pointed out before.....winning the games that we lost when Ben was out changes the whole playoff picture.

I guess they felt like the time and the opportunity was right to take out that life insurance policy. Let's hope we never have to use it......or that it pays off.

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2013, 02:35 PM
interesting that they showed SO much interest in tyler bray, even taking him to dinner and interviewing and such, but took landary instead, who didnt have any reports of previous interaction with the steelers at all. Even more curious to me is how there was no talk anywhere of landry jones place really among this year's QB crop, even though he was considered a top prospect not so long ago.

tyler bray ended up going to the chiefs as an undrafted free agent folks (by the way). Go figure. Maybe he was just a smoke screen this entire time

Dwinsgames
04-28-2013, 02:59 PM
at the end of the day we got a QB in the 4th round ( one many could put a valid argument together that supports the pick ) and that QB just a few short months ago ( when the last games where actually played ) whom held a second round grade on many boards ...

for me it was a pick with marginal value but a pick of need ( and has been a need for some time IMO )

I am fine with the pick , Landry Jones has a big arm that can make all the pro throws , sure his accuracy on touch passes needs some work but we are not asking him to start week 1 and preferably not for several years , his wife and Ben's wife being friends should help Jones too because most likely he will be spending quite a bit of time with Ben and they should bond through their wives mutual friendship so Jones will be mentored by Ben is my guess ....

it was a good pick , one might argue it could have happened a round later , but we will never be sure of that ....

I am more concerned with the picks in the last 2 rounds lacking value and leaving more talent on the board than what we took off of it .... but that's me

Austin87
04-29-2013, 01:21 PM
at the end of the day we got a QB in the 4th round ( one many could put a valid argument together that supports the pick ) and that QB just a few short months ago ( when the last games where actually played ) whom held a second round grade on many boards ...

This is what makes this a good pick, we drafted a player that had a second round grade in the 4th. That's value for your pick right there. I'm not high on grooming a backup QB. I would much rather prefer a backup QB with some starting experience. But the value of this pick can't be argued.

steel striker
04-29-2013, 01:56 PM
I think it was a good and, like mentioned by several we need a good back QB.

Spike
04-30-2013, 07:59 PM
Instant Analysis (LANDRY JONES)

The Steelers haven’t selected a quarterback as high as Landry Jones since they took Ben Roethlisberger with the 11th overall pick in the 2004 draft.

Jones marks just the third quarterback — Omar Jacobs and Dennis Dixon — since the Steelers selected Roethlisberger when they drafted the Oklahoma quarterback with the 115th pick (fourth round) on Saturday.

“I am going to come in and compete as hard as I can and try to win the job,” Jones said. “At the end of the day this is going to be a great opportunity for me whether I play quick or whether I have to sit and wait a couple years.”

Instant analysis: Wasted pick even if he does turn out to be good down the road. Other issues needed to be addressed before addressing a backup quarterback.

(MORE)

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2013/04/27/instant-analysis-landry-jones/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Still Mill

Yinzer bitter clingers that wanted Charlie Batch back

Spike
04-30-2013, 08:34 PM
I think it was a good and, like mentioned by several we need a good back QB.

yeah - Ben hasn't completed a full season since 2008

Landry will most likely be a starter at some point - they have to get him ready.

salamander
04-30-2013, 08:35 PM
I like the pick. Could we have addressed more prevalent needs? Absolutely. But if I remember correctly, there were a lot of Steelers fans clamoring for a young backup QB and we finally got one.

BnG_Hevn
05-01-2013, 11:40 AM
People keep talking about the games "When Ben was out" shaping the playoff picture, what about when Ben came back?

Having a quality backup might have allowed Ben to rest longer and come back ready instead of coming back and gaffing things up.