PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign Howling

Chidi29
04-26-2013, 03:53 PM
EDIT: Can't get tweet to embed, report from Rapport of NFLN.

Scat back with some return value. For what it's worth, his younger brother plays for nearby Slippery Rock University.

stillers4me
04-26-2013, 04:20 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/04/steelers-sign-free-agent-rb-larod-stephens-howling/

steeldawg
04-26-2013, 04:24 PM
"not a legimate threat to the steelers starting runningback in 2013" why did we sign him we have two back ups apready?

stillers4me
04-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Steelers Depot‏@Steelersdepot3m (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/Steelersdepot/status/327895090976665601)
Signing of LaRod Stephens-Howling has no bearing on the draft. The #Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/search?q=%23Steelers&src=hash) need RB bodies & it helps that he can return kicks.

- - - Updated - - -

Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_Trib3m (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/327895264344039425)
With displacement and assuming Stephens-Howling signed for minimum ($715K), it cost #Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/search?q=%23Steelers&src=hash) approx $235K in cap space. Now have $372 left

Wallace108
04-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Are we becoming Arizona East? :wink02:

stillers4me
04-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Ken Torgent‏@ktorgent14m (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/ktorgent/status/327892740367060992)
Stephens-Howling does nothing to change team's backfield situation, but he is a viable kick returner to replace Rainey.

stillers4me
04-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Steelers Depot‏@Steelersdepot1m (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/Steelersdepot/status/327897400373030912)
You people do know that they need RB bodies for camp, correct? Only had three RB's under contract headed into today. Untie the rope

Mojouw
04-26-2013, 04:40 PM
I like this signing. Need some more backs on the roster. The best thing it signals, at least to me, is that the Steelers are not going to lock themselves into drafting a WR based solely on their potential return skills. While I wouldn't mind multiple picks at the WR position in this draft, I definitely would like one of them to be a big strong type.

Dwinsgames
04-26-2013, 05:06 PM
I love this pickup , Howling is the kind of guy Haley can use to exploit people , yea he is a skatback type but when inserted as a starter in Arizona with pitiful QB and O-Line play and 8 in the box all game long Howling was able to string together a couple really nice games when called upon ...

this may go by many as an unheralded pickup but for me it is much more

salamander
04-26-2013, 05:14 PM
I like the signing. I think he'll add a nice extra element to the team.

st33lersguy
04-26-2013, 05:19 PM
This makes no sense, the Steelers have enough backup RBs, wasting what little cap space they have left on another backup RB is insufficient

Dwinsgames
04-26-2013, 05:27 PM
This makes no sense, the Steelers have enough backup RBs, wasting what little cap space they have left on another backup RB is insufficient

look at the big picture ....

this signing could mean many things ...

we have 2 bigger backs ....

we now have a smaller back , if we are targeting a back in the draft perhaps he is similar to Howling and they just signed the backup to the draft pick ...

Howling is also a decent returner and has taken some to the house in the return game , the signing spells and end to someone on the roster if we draft a RB ( and we probably will tonight ) so my guess is Barron Batch is done in B&G or perhaps Dwyer put a bunch of weight on yet again in the off season ???

Howling is not a all star but he is the exact type of FA we always sign a guy who can come in and contribute in as a situational player and on special teams, nothing new here

steeldawg
04-26-2013, 05:30 PM
look at the big picture ....

this signing could mean many things ...

we have 2 bigger backs ....

we now have a smaller back , if we are targeting a back in the draft perhaps he is similar to Howling and they just signed the backup to the draft pick ...

Howling is also a decent returner and has taken some to the house in the return game , the signing spells and end to someone on the roster if we draft a RB ( and we probably will tonight ) so my guess is Barron Batch is done in B&G or perhaps Dwyer put a bunch of weight on yet again in the off season ???

Howling is not a all star but he is the exact type of FA we always sign a guy who can come in and contribute in as a situational player and on special teams, nothing new here

You seem to know the draft stuff pretty well do you think a signing like howling is an indication we draft a ready to start RB?

Dwinsgames
04-26-2013, 05:37 PM
You seem to know the draft stuff pretty well do you think a signing like howling is an indication we draft a ready to start RB?

yes and names you should look at are Franklin and Micheal

Count Steeler
04-26-2013, 06:02 PM
I love this pickup , Howling is the kind of guy Haley can use to exploit people , yea he is a skatback type but when inserted as a starter in Arizona with pitiful QB and O-Line play and 8 in the box all game long Howling was able to string together a couple really nice games when called upon ...

Rainey's replacement?

Dwinsgames
04-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Rainey's replacement?

and perhaps a little more

tube517
04-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Need a return guy to replace Rainey. This isn't Mendys replacement

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 2

Shoes
04-26-2013, 06:27 PM
I like.

Dwinsgames
08-10-2013, 07:09 PM

:)

polamalubeast
08-10-2013, 07:19 PM
good game by him

st33lersguy
08-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Very impressed by his performance. He earned some carries tonight.

Chidi29
08-10-2013, 10:20 PM
:)

Ego much? :flap:

Dwinsgames
08-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Ego much? :flap:

naaa ...

just thought it would be interesting to see what people said then VS what they are saying now ...

what better way to NOT call anyone out by quoting myself with the bump of the thread

Count Steeler
08-11-2013, 05:41 PM
1 preseason game a star does not make. He showed some wheels and vision. Very encouraging and should make the roster.

stillers4me
08-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Can't help but root for the little guy after watching him run right through everybody's legs. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Chidi29
08-11-2013, 06:08 PM
naaa ...

just thought it would be interesting to see what people said then VS what they are saying now ...

what better way to NOT call anyone out by quoting myself with the bump of the thread

I'm just messin' with ya. If it was me, I would have rented a blimp and sent it over Heinz Field.

Shoes
08-11-2013, 06:08 PM
naaa ...

Good to remind us, Dwins. We seem (by nature) to enjoy pointing out a miss and forgetting when someone nails it.

tube517
08-11-2013, 08:41 PM
1 preseason game a star DOES make. He showed some suddenness and glide. Very encouraging and should make the roster.

Fixed!

Dwinsgames
08-11-2013, 09:27 PM
1 preseason game a star does not make. He showed some wheels and vision. Very encouraging and should make the roster.

You are correct , but at the same time I do not believe anyone is anointing him as the next coming , with that being said he has an interesting skill set that can help this team in a variety of areas IMO ..

Punt and kick returns

receiving threat out of the backfield with the moves and wheels to cause damage

can give the starter a breather without a loss of production all the while being very cost effective to the cap

can also be a package player in situational football