PDA

View Full Version : Prospects to take if they start sliding?

Psycho Ward 86
04-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Who do you guys think are some prospects worthy of trading up for in the 1st or 2nd round if they start sliding? For me, one of the more intriguing ones is Dee Milliner. The guy's stock just keeps dipping, especially after people have found out he's had 5 surgeries (albeit, all on different parts of his body), the latest of which will sideline him for OTA's and maybe even a little bit of training camp.

Dwinsgames
04-24-2013, 03:01 PM
I would not trade up for anyone , the picks are to hard to come by and we have to many voids to fill to give up picks ... let someone else trade up to our spot :)

steelreserve
04-24-2013, 03:27 PM
I don't see anyone who would be worth it. In just about every mock draft I've seen, besides Milliner and sometimes Eifert, every single one of the players taken above #17 is an offensive lineman, defensive lineman or quarterback, which are the three positions we don't need. So there's really no one to "slide" to us; we'd be getting them where they were projected, or higher.

I wouldn't touch Milliner with a history like that. Even if nothing he's had yet is career-threatening, if you've already had that many surgeries, you'd be a fool not to expect more of the same. And even supposing we got lucky and he didn't miss a single game, he also has "rookie contract and then way, way out of our price range" written all over him.

Mistah Q
04-24-2013, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't trade up for anyone but here's who I wouldn't hesitate to catch if they were falling.

Round one, if Warmack or Tavon Austin falls to us I think you pull the trigger. I don't expect either of them but that's the nature of the thing, all it takes is one team getting enamored with someone else. If Eifert is there it's a good opportunity to work the phones and try to trade down. I didn't mention Vaccaro or Jarvis Jones because those are the picks I would expect.

Round two, if Te'o is there you take him without blinking. Otherwise for falling prospects, Larry Warford, Zach Ertz, Kevin Minter, Robert Woods, probably in that order -- if they're there, you pull the trigger.

Psycho Ward 86
04-24-2013, 07:09 PM
interesting. am i the only one around here who actually likes tavon austin's counterpart, stedman bailey a whole HELL of a lot better? Im not enamored at all with austin's cute multifaceted game. Thats nice. But i dont expect him to put up any serious yardage as a runningback and punt returning/kick returning ability isnt what should be looked at on a low premium imo in a 1st round pick. 5'8 and 174lb. And there are more dynamic players currently in the nfl that are bigger. He's got dexter mccluster written all over him: nearly identical size, both tested extremely well at the combine, both are multifaceted weapons, the difference being Mcluster was more of a runningback than a receiver, and austin was more of a receiver than a runningback. He's having a "meh" career. I dont think austin will be much better.

If were looking at a serious FULLTIME receiver somewhat early on i like stedman bailey. Nice hands, sets up big plays in space creatively, holds onto the ball in traffic, great routes, physical upon contact, and can block. and can someone spell BODY CONTROL? Kid can adjust to any ball and has combatative ball skills. Not the best size, but still a lot more girth than austin (5'10'', 193lb) and thats good enough for the nfl. not a combine star, but he tested well enough imo. He's too good at too many things to be overlooked imo. Seriously, for all this talk about how much more explosive tavon austin is than stedman, stedman tied austin for the team lead with 114 receptions, outgained him 1,622 receiving yards to austin's 1,289 receiving yards, had a better yards per reception at 14.2 compared to austin's 11.3, and had 25 reception TD's to austin's 12. Yes, austin was used in more roles, but even if you add up all of his touchdowns, stedman still has him beat, 25 to 17. Even stedman's longest reception is longer than austin's (87 to 75).

anyone else pimping this kid as hard as me? a lot of people also seem to like josh boyce as a sleeper, havent really looked at him yet though

Mistah Q
04-24-2013, 07:15 PM
I like Bailey and wouldn't hesitate to draft him in the Fourth

Dwinsgames
04-24-2013, 07:22 PM
interesting. am i the only one around here who actually likes tavon austin's counterpart, stedman bailey a whole HELL of a lot better? Im not enamored at all with austin's cute multifaceted game. Thats nice. But i dont expect him to put up any serious yardage as a runningback and punt returning/kick returning ability isnt what should be looked at on a low premium imo in a 1st round pick. 5'8 and 174lb. And there are more dynamic players currently in the nfl that are bigger. He's got dexter mccluster written all over him: nearly identical size, both tested extremely well at the combine, both are multifaceted weapons, the difference being Mcluster was more of a runningback than a receiver, and austin was more of a receiver than a runningback. He's having a "meh" career. I dont think austin will be much better.

If were looking at a serious FULLTIME receiver somewhat early on i like stedman bailey. Nice hands, sets up big plays in space creatively, holds onto the ball in traffic, great routes, physical upon contact, and can block. and can someone spell BODY CONTROL? Kid can adjust to any ball and has combatative ball skills. Not the best size, but still a lot more girth than austin (5'10'', 193lb) and thats good enough for the nfl. not a combine star, but he tested well enough imo. He's too good at too many things to be overlooked imo. Seriously, for all this talk about how much more explosive tavon austin is than stedman, stedman tied austin for the team lead with 114 receptions, outgained him 1,622 receiving yards to austin's 1,289 receiving yards, had a better yards per reception at 14.2 compared to austin's 11.3, and had 25 reception TD's to austin's 12. Yes, austin was used in more roles, but even if you add up all of his touchdowns, stedman still has him beat, 25 to 17. Even stedman's longest reception is longer than austin's (87 to 75).

anyone else pimping this kid as hard as me? a lot of people also seem to like josh boyce as a sleeper, havent really looked at him yet though

Interesting comparison to McCluster and I see it to a degree , but honestly see him more of a poor mans Percy Harvin but like you am not enamored with him as a 1st round pick and again like you Like Bailey leaps and bounds more as a pro WR Bailey is IMO this years Greg Jennings

Psycho Ward 86
04-24-2013, 07:24 PM
I like Bailey and wouldn't hesitate to draft him in the Fourth

if it werent for all of the talent thats still going to be at other spots going into the 3rd round (safety, linebacker, runningback), i would even take him in the 3rd. Even though it will probably be proclaimed a "reach" by draftniks. We did that with wallace and that went well.

For a while...:chuckle:

Mistah Q
04-24-2013, 07:27 PM
I imagined Bailey as more slated for the 5th round... my 4th round grab was more of a slight "reach" in itself to make sure we got him lol

Shoes
04-24-2013, 07:49 PM
I would not trade up for anyone , the picks are to hard to come by and we have to many voids to fill to give up picks ... let someone else trade up to our spot :)

I've read if Patterson is available @ 17 the Vikings may request our spot.....could be an exciting draft.

Psycho Ward 86
04-24-2013, 07:58 PM
I imagined Bailey as more slated for the 5th round... my 4th round grab was more of a slight "reach" in itself to make sure we got him lol

wow, are scouts really that phased by his size and lack of straightline speed?

SteelerFanInStl
04-24-2013, 08:03 PM
I don't get all the fuss about Austin either. At the end of the football season, he was being projected as a mid round pick. Now all of the sudden he's in the top 10???? When are people going to learn that it's not just about speed, especially when you're as small as he is? The local sports writers seem to want the Rams to take him but I'm hoping that he's gone before they pick.

Dwinsgames
04-24-2013, 08:07 PM
wow, are scouts really that phased by his size and lack of straightline speed?

stock on some of the middle round guys is all over the place one place lists this guy as a 3rd rounder , next guy says 4th or 5th and so on ...

at the end of the day it takes 1 team to fall in love and pull the trigger ( but that is in any round really ) I think Bailey could be a good pick in the 3rd on ( dependent on who all is on the board ) we just do not know how the draft will unfold until it does ...

we could see anywhere from 2 to 5 WR go in the first round higher the number off the board early the more that next tier is going to move up Bailey for me is in that second tier ( breaking each tier down to 5 players each )

I suspect he does not make it out of the 3rd round when it is all said and done and if he does middle of the 4th and he without question is off the board

Mistah Q
04-24-2013, 08:18 PM
At the end of the day I wouldn't hate Bailey in the 3rd, I just think there are other things we have to address, so unless we manage to trade out of round 1 (for instance) and have two picks each in round 2 and 3... and then we go something like, Minter, Cyprien, Okafor, Bailey... well that'd be real swell

Psycho Ward 86
04-24-2013, 08:50 PM
At the end of the day I wouldn't hate Bailey in the 3rd, I just think there are other things we have to address, so unless we manage to trade out of round 1 (for instance) and have two picks each in round 2 and 3... and then we go something like, Minter, Cyprien, Okafor, Bailey... well that'd be real swell

id take that too. i think we need to make sure we have a safety indefinitely by the 3rd-4th round