PDA

View Full Version : Steelers will take a long look at QBs in draft

Spike
04-22-2013, 02:12 PM
The Steelers haven't decided if they will take a quarterback sometime Friday or Saturday in the NFL draft. But, for the first time in a long time, general manager Kevin Colbert said they are open to the possibility.

If they do, will they wait until the middle or late rounds to draft a quarterback who merely will be the No. 3 quarterback behind Ben Roethlisberger and Bruce Gradkowski?

Or do they start looking for Roethlisberger's heir apparent now and go after a quarterback, say, in the third round?

If they do not draft a quarterback, the Steelers, in all likelihood, will welcome back Charlie Batch as one of their backups.

The Steelers are not ready to start grooming a replacement for Roethlisberger, who is 31 and entering his 10th season in the league. He has three more years remaining on his $100 million contract. But that doesn't mean they would pass on a talented quarterback who still needs several years of development before he is ready to play in the NFL.

And that quarterback is Tyler Bray, who is only 21 and skipped his senior season at Tennessee to enter the draft.

A lot of NFL teams, the Steelers included, think Bray is the most-talented quarterback in the draft. He is a 6-foot-6, 230-pound pocket passer with a powerful arm who threw for 7,444 yards and 69 touchdowns in three seasons with the Volunteers.

Bray, however, is not like any of the 2012 rookie quarterbacks who came ready-made for the NFL -- Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III or Russell Wilson. In fact, some NFL teams are worried he might be more like Ryan Leaf, the poster child for the all-arm, no-head quarterback.

Because of his maturity level and need for development, Bray could go anywhere from the second to fourth round in the draft. But nobody questions his skills or ability to make any throw on the field.

"There's a lot of refinement that needs to take place," said former NFL coach and quarterback guru Jon Gruden, speaking on a conference call.

Gruden, ESPN's color analyst on "Monday Night Football," added: "He's got to learn how to manage some situations better. He's got to deliver at crunch time. He's got to polish his game. I think his preparation needs to increase."

Most coaches agree Bray needs to sit and learn for several years before he is ready to play in the NFL. But, with the right attitude and development, they also think he could be a top-tier quarterback very similar to Joe Flacco.

Even though the Steelers are not close to replacing Roethlisberger, Bray is the type of quarterback who can be brought along slowly and given several years to develop.

Of course, with so many needs in other areas, the Steelers may not be willing to use a second-day pick on a quarterback. More than likely, that choice will come Saturday, after the third round, and there are several possibilities there, too.

The Steelers spent a lot of time meeting with E.J. Manuel of Florida State (6-4 1/2, 238) last month, intrigued with his arm strength and athleticism. Manuel fits the mold of the new-look quarterback in the league, someone who can run the option or execute the rollout. But his stock has been on the rise, and he may not make it past the second round.

If the Steelers wait until the middle or late rounds to draft a quarterback, that means they are looking for someone who will be nothing more than Roethlisberger's backup, even down the road. And that selection could lead them, ironically enough, to Roethlisberger's alma mater and the player known as Little Ben -- Zac Dysert.

Dysert, though, isn't so little. He is 6 feet 3, 231 pounds and broke most of Roethlisberger's passing records at Miami of Ohio. Steelers quarterback coach Randy Fichtner met with Dysert after the Steelers became impressed watching his game tape.

If the Steelers drafted Dysert, that would give them three quarterbacks from the Mid-American Conference, just like they had when Batch (Eastern Michigan) and Byron Leftwich (Marshall) were the backups.

"I've always looked up to Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers," Dysert said at the NFL combine in February in Indianapolis. "It would be exactly like following in his footsteps."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-will-take-a-long-look-at-qbs-in-draft-684459/

-------------------

I'll throw my hat into that ring - Zac Dysert

"I've always looked up to Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers," Dysert said at the NFL combine in February in Indianapolis. "It would be exactly like following in his footsteps."

http://binaryapi.ap.org/5b73bf9914434127ac14fdf335e501e1/512x.jpg

steelreserve
04-22-2013, 03:48 PM
I'm not too keen on the idea of drafting an "heir apparent" any time soon. Very few QBs outside of round 1, MAYBE round 2 are going to be ones you can build your franchise around. If you pick a QB that high right now, you're immediately causing drama ("Is Ben falling out of favor?" "Is there a QB controversy?" "If this guy isn't going to play, why'd we waste a high pick on him?") and the fact is, either you get rid of Ben early or you DID waste the pick.

If you don't pick a QB that high, you're essentially drafting a backup, which would've been great up until a couple months ago, when we addressed that need.

GodfatherofSoul
04-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Too early and too much decent backup talent floating around the league (or outside of it).

Count Steeler
04-22-2013, 04:49 PM
UDFA only please.

SteelerFanInStl
04-22-2013, 06:01 PM
We have too many other needs to waste a pick on a backup QB.

st33lersguy
04-22-2013, 07:14 PM
The Steelers have a backup QB, his name is Bruce Gradkowski, the QB we draft will most likely be a 3rd QB, which you can sign as a UFDA or heck where's that Jerrod Johnson kid?

Pristas
04-22-2013, 08:08 PM
I thought the whole reason we brought in Gradkowski is so that if Ben gets hurt in the next few seasons, we will go 3-13 and get one of the best QBs in the draft the following year. What did I miss?

Seven
04-22-2013, 10:34 PM
I'm really not a fan of developing quarterbacks. In my opinion it's usually a wasted roster spot, carrying a rookie as a third quarterback trying to mold him into a starter when time and time again drafting a guy high and throwing him into the fire immediately works just as well if not better. But if they are going to insist on pursuing this route, now is the time to do it. Our quarterback situation isn't going to get any better than it is at this very second.

st33lersguy
04-22-2013, 11:08 PM
The Steelers could probably find two QBs to compete for the no. 3 job before the draft, finding no. 3 QBs are as easy as tying your shoes, anyone can fill that job

steelreserve
04-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Since we never even have the #3 QB on the gameday active list, what's the point of even carrying one on the roster. We'll need a week's notice to use him anyway. So if we just need someone who knows the playbook well enough to step into the emergency #2 role on a week's notice, we can always sign Batch or Leftwich off the scrap heap to do that; I don't think other teams are exactly busting down their doors. I've also been an advocate of keeping Batch on the coaching staff for just this reason.

GBMelBlount
04-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Since we never even have the #3 QB on the gameday active list, what's the point of even carrying one on the roster. We'll need a week's notice to use him anyway. So if we just need someone who knows the playbook well enough to step into the emergency #2 role on a week's notice, we can always sign Batch or Leftwich off the scrap heap to do that; I don't think other teams are exactly busting down their doors. I've also been an advocate of keeping Batch on the coaching staff for just this reason.

This makes very good sense.