PDA

View Full Version : Ron Cook: Big Ben set to atone for 2012

zulater
04-19-2013, 05:37 AM
Just about every NFL analyst is predicting gloom and doom for the Steelers next season. The team has lost seven starters from an 8-8 team in 2012. It's hard for the pundits to find a reason for optimism. But they all offer the same caveat.
"Pittsburgh still has a franchise quarterback. You can't ever count 'em out because of that."
That is a lot of pressure on one guy.
I asked Ben Roethlisberger about it Thursday when he stopped by to do an hour of our radio show, "Vinnie and Cook," on 93.7 The Fan.
"I've been working out for a long time," Roethlisberger said. "I only took seven days off after the last game. That's the earliest I ever started back. I'm in great shape ..

"I'm fine with people saying we're going to be terrible. 'Let's overlook them,' " Roethlisberger said. "I like that. I like being the hunter. It's kind of a fun place to be."
Roethlisberger is in a much better spot than he was after last season when the Steelers missed the playoffs for just the third time in his nine seasons as quarterback. He still takes the blame because he threw hurtful interceptions late in losses to the Dallas Cowboys and Cincinnati Bengals late in the season. The Cincinnati game still troubles him. At least he played well in Dallas. He was bad in the home game against the Bengals, start to finish. A win in that game and the Steelers would have been in the postseason.
"It killed me, to let your team down, the fans down, your coaches. To feel like it's all your fault," Roethlisberger said. "But what you have to do as a quarterback and as a professional is you have to let that burn at you and eat at you and bother you, but you also have to put that past you and move on. You have to have the shortest memory at quarterback. I think it's going to make me stronger and better.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/ron-cook-big-ben-set-to-atone-for-2012-684130/#ixzz2Qu8TDpQj

GBMelBlount
04-19-2013, 06:23 AM
"I'm fine with people saying we're going to be terrible. 'Let's overlook them,' " Roethlisberger said. "I like that. I like being the hunter. It's kind of a fun place to be."

Ben THRIVES on "underdog" and "adversity."

8-8 and losing 7 starters would be devastating to most teams.

Still, if healthy, this team may surprise people.

dislocatedday
04-19-2013, 08:55 AM
Ben THRIVES on "underdog" and "adversity."

8-8 and losing 7 starters would be devastating to most teams.

Still, if healthy, this team may surprise people.

I just really took a look at those 7 starters that are gone, and who will (or will likely) replace them, and things don't really look that bad IMO. The loss of Harrison and Wallace, and possibly Max Starks, are the only ones that I see as potentially being difficult adjustments. The availability of Heath Miller to start the season has me more concerned than most of these losses to be honest.

Willie Colon to David DeCastro - Although there is little tape on DeCastro at this level, I fully expect he will eclipse Colon's level of play quickly

Max Starks to Marcus Gilbert - Starks had been fairly solid and steady the last two years, and I am unsure of Gilbert at this stage as a quality starting LT

Mike Wallace to Emmanuel Sanders - For all of Wallace's problems last year, he was still an excellent deep threat that opposing defenses had to account for all the time. Sanders is no slouch and quite competent, but I'm not sure he will make up for the departure of Mike Wallace on his own

Keenan Lewis to Cortez Allen - Allen showed significant potential and played well in his late season starts. In his 2nd year he was far beyond where Keenan was. I think Cortez will exceed the play of Keenan Lewis.

Casey Hampton to Steve McLendon - I loved Big Snack all these years too...but like many here, I felt McLendon should have been given the chance to start last year. I think he will do fine this upcoming season.

Rashard Mendenhall to ? - Rashard was ineffective or invisible for the most part last year. I expect the Steelers to be better at the RB position this year, but at a minimum they should be no worse. I'm hopeful the team gets a rookie in the middle rounds who can step in and assert himself immediately.

James Harrison to Jason Worilds - The biggest issue IMO facing this team. Everyone knows what Harrison brought to the table when healthy. Worilds has big shoes to fill.

Spike
04-19-2013, 09:36 PM
'I like being the hunter'

oh Ben

I thought those days of chasing down skirts in smoky bars were behind you