PDA

View Full Version : McClendon not going anywhere

pepsyman1
04-18-2013, 01:31 PM
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Sign-Steve-McLendon/6d6c2270-ed1c-4ae5-b049-3d1b20cca45c

Another potential problem solved. Hope he gets all the snaps this year.

Seven
04-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks for sharing. No surprise here.

zulater
04-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Bu bu bu but the Steelers don't know what they're doing. So obviously this is bad.

Good chance this will cost us someone essential like Curtis Brown or Barron Batch next year! :horror: then it all starts again! :frusty:

Stupid Steelers!

:wink02:

Dwinsgames
04-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Bu bu bu but the Steelers don't know what they're doing. So obviously this is bad.

Good chance this will cost us someone essential like Curtis Brown or Barron Batch next year! :horror: then it all starts again! :frusty:

Stupid Steelers!

you can say that again ....

Oh wait you already did

GodfatherofSoul
04-18-2013, 01:47 PM
It's still kinda dangerous letting your future prospect get on a plane. You never know what the other team is going to say to him.

GBMelBlount
04-18-2013, 01:47 PM
C O O L.

THe sky has stopped falling (for the moment anyway:clap2: )

Seven
04-18-2013, 02:04 PM

Stupid Steelers!

Zu, I don't know why you're making light of the situation.

We OBVIOUSLY need to revamp the way this front office does everything. Building around the draft? What an awful idea. We need to sign some big time free agents and get rid of these aging vets!!! We just barely escaped the Packers having "our balls in a vice" on this one. Our front office really sucks, ya know?

:chuckle:

I'll admit when I saw we tendered McLendon at the lowest possible price I was concerned. Not because I didn't think we could retain him if we wanted, but it made me think the Steelers undervalued him. Glad to see I was wrong.

Mojouw
04-18-2013, 02:35 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/18/4239760/steelers-sign-steve-mclendon-to-three-year-contract-deal-nose-tackle-restricted-free-agent

I'm sure more solid details will emerge over the course of the day, but sounds fairly reasonable. Guess we now get to find out if the guy can actually play.

Seven
04-18-2013, 02:40 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/18/4239760/steelers-sign-steve-mclendon-to-three-year-contract-deal-nose-tackle-restricted-free-agent

I'm sure more solid details will emerge over the course of the day, but sounds fairly reasonable. Guess we now get to find out if the guy can actually play.

Thanks for sharing. I think that is a good deal if the numbers are accurate. I guess the Patriots and Packers will have to wait until next offseason to try and put "our balls in a vice" again. I'm very glad we went ahead and completed this deal which undoubtedly has been in the works unbeknownst to us fans for at least a little while. Should take a big need off the board for at least the next three years if McLendon continues his development.

Spike
04-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Good move, crisis averted.....will the drama never end?

pepsyman1
04-18-2013, 03:20 PM
All I know is that McClendon looked like an absolute beast during the preseason last year and I was dumbfounded that he got so little playing time. He plays the position differently than Big Snack, but he's aggressive and strong enough to push the line back into the QB's space. I want to see what he can do this year.

steelreserve
04-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Good. See, if you act BEFORE he signs the other team's offer sheet, you can work out whatever kind of deal you want and not worry about getting stuck matching something awkward.

I wish we would've tried that with Sanders, because as far as I know, he was sitting on New England's offer sheet for at least a week or two without signing it. Maybe they did try that and his agent held out for a bigger contract, though. In which case our odds of keeping him after this year would seem pretty low indeed.

Texasteel
04-18-2013, 04:09 PM
I'm glad he is coming back, but the way this was handle still has me confused. If they were willing to pay more, why did they make him an offer that would put him at risk in the first place. I know probably a lot of this was because of the salery cap, but still it kind of looks like the Steelers went into all this without a clear plan. Glad all I have to do is enjoy the game, all this stuff would drive me nuts. Obviously I don't understand the money side of football.

Psycho Ward 86
04-18-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm glad he is coming back, but the way this was handle still has me confused. If they were willing to pay more, why did they make him an offer that would put him at risk in the first place. I know probably a lot of this was because of the salery cap, but still it kind of looks like the Steelers went into all this without a clear plan. Glad all I have to do is enjoy the game, all this stuff would drive me nuts. Obviously I don't understand the money side of football.

Seven can answer that for you because everything that's happened so far has been so predictable for him because money was never an issue

Count Steeler
04-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Draft coming soon. Glad McLendon returns, though I hope LeBeau utilizes him more.

Texasteel
04-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Doubt if anyone could explain it simple enough for an ingnorant sprinkler fitter to understand. Back to the draft for me. At least there I can fake my way though it.

TMC
04-18-2013, 04:31 PM

When you think that normally, a RFA fails to get an offer in the market, this is not that unusual. I think the last time a RFA signed with another team (pre-Sanders) was 3 seasons ago. Usually not a big FA market because teams do not like parting with draft picks. Oddly enough, it carries over to guys that do not have compensation, because in most instances, the new team does the work, hammers out the details, signs the guy, and the new team matches. Does anyone think that the Packers were going to give him more than he just got? I do not. Heck, Sanders one-year deal is close to the per year average for McLendon.

And, if you are a player, you likely would not have signed that 3-year deal until you tested the market. I mean, you want your best deal as well. I do not know that I would have tendered McLendon higher. I would have tendered Sanders higher, not McLendon. Just do not know if I want to hand him $2M a season. To me, that raises his $$$ expectations. Then, you end up bidding against yourself, which can often be worse than bidding against another team.

fansince'76
04-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Time to come in off the ledge, folks. :chuckle:

TomlinSteelTribe
04-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Crisis averted. I'm happy. But don't think the Packers talking with McLendon didn't force Pittsburgh's hand, hence the multi-year deal. Usually, depending on the player's temperament, it's good to have a guy playing in a contract year. It's time for them to prove what they're worth for the next contract. Wallace was one of few exceptions. He was always going to get paid big money, regardless of how last season turned out. The stopwatch and 40 determined that long ago, once he showed he could play in the league.

I'm nearly certain, with more cap space, the Steelers would have put the 2nd round tender on McLendon (a guy projected to start) and made him untouchable. Hope Troy can stay healthy this year, because as much as I love the guy, if you can't stay on the field, you're worthless. Troy has gotten by because he's basically a 'brand' unto himself. We love him. But he better stay on the field this year or he might be gone the next. With our cap situation, the sky was never falling, but it damn sure is closing in, and a guy taking up as much cap room as Troy is a part of that.

Seven
04-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Draft coming soon. Glad McLendon returns, though I hope LeBeau utilizes him more.

I hope you're right, Count. And really, I don't think he has much of a choice right? Unless Ta'amu or Fangupo come in and steal the job I think it's a done deal he'll get a good crack at taking over Hampton's duties.

Shoes
04-18-2013, 09:47 PM
I knew it all along. :chuckle:

steelreserve
04-18-2013, 10:43 PM
Crisis averted. I'm happy. But don't think the Packers talking with McLendon didn't force Pittsburgh's hand, hence the multi-year deal. Usually, depending on the player's temperament, it's good to have a guy playing in a contract year. It's time for them to prove what they're worth for the next contract. Wallace was one of few exceptions. He was always going to get paid big money, regardless of how last season turned out. The stopwatch and 40 determined that long ago, once he showed he could play in the league.

I'm nearly certain, with more cap space, the Steelers would have put the 2nd round tender on McLendon (a guy projected to start) and made him untouchable. Hope Troy can stay healthy this year, because as much as I love the guy, if you can't stay on the field, you're worthless. Troy has gotten by because he's basically a 'brand' unto himself. We love him. But he better stay on the field this year or he might be gone the next. With our cap situation, the sky was never falling, but it damn sure is closing in, and a guy taking up as much cap room as Troy is a part of that.

For us, it's not good to have a guy playing in a contract year. If he does any good, there's no way in hell we'll ever afford to keep him.

salamander
04-19-2013, 05:10 AM
Glad to see that he's not going anywhere.

zulater
04-19-2013, 05:21 AM
When you think that normally, a RFA fails to get an offer in the market, this is not that unusual. I think the last time a RFA signed with another team (pre-Sanders) was 3 seasons ago. Usually not a big FA market because teams do not like parting with draft picks. Oddly enough, it carries over to guys that do not have compensation, because in most instances, the new team does the work, hammers out the details, signs the guy, and the new team matches. Does anyone think that the Packers were going to give him more than he just got? I do not. Heck, Sanders one-year deal is close to the per year average for McLendon.

And, if you are a player, you likely would not have signed that 3-year deal until you tested the market. I mean, you want your best deal as well. I do not know that I would have tendered McLendon higher. I would have tendered Sanders higher, not McLendon. Just do not know if I want to hand him $2M a season. To me, that raises his $$$ expectations. Then, you end up bidding against yourself, which can often be worse than bidding against another team.

Does it always go to plan? No of course not. But to think there's no plan, that those making the decsions are halfwits who haven't got a clue as to how to manage a roster or salary cap. Well that's just stupid. Maintaining a quality roster over a span of years takes calculated gambles. If you have a multitide of players that can actually play sometimes you'll be forced into making tough decisions. Some of those decisions will bite you, some will work out. Just the way it goes.