PDA

View Full Version : Steelers likely to dive into rich, deep pool of WRs

Spike
04-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Labels can stick to football teams as surely as the colors they wear, such as the NFL team that wears black and gold with its long-standing identity of great linebacker players and Hall of Fame centers.

Then, there also is the Steelers' personality when it comes to their history at wide receiver. It's been a split personality. They've put receivers in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and used first-round draft picks on receivers. They are the only team to have two receivers earn Super Bowl MVP.

Yet, somehow, they long have had an air about them that they really don't place all that much importance in the position, that they can find them anywhere and always will be able to line up with wide receivers who will get the job done.

Tom Donahoe, when he was their director of football operations, once said receivers were a dime a dozen, and that's pretty much how they've operated for years

They will enter the draft next week on the hunt for more wide receivers because of the departure of Wallace, because Sanders could leave in a year and only Antonio Brown is under contract beyond this season.

That does not mean they will draft Cordarrelle Patterson of Tennessee or Tavon Austin of West Virginia in the first round. If the Steelers do have when it comes to wide receivers, it's their ability to find them in rounds three and beyond.

The third round has brought them Ward, Wallace, Sanders, Mills and Hastings. They found Brown in the sixth and Washington as an undrafted rookie. Their success -- even stronger recently -- from the third round and beyond could prompt them to wait again until that round to refill the position, especially in a 2013 draft that looks stocked with quality receivers headed for the third round and beyond.

"I think it's a deep receiver draft, a lot of really good players," said Gil Brandt, senior analyst and draft expert for NFL.com after spending 29 years as a personnel man with the Dallas Cowboys. "I think there are guys you're going to get in the fourth, fifth, sixth rounds who are very good guys."

Brandt likes receivers after the first round such as WVU's Stedman Bailey, Robert Woods of Southern California and Justin Hunter of Tennessee.

"They won't be interested in Austin, as high as he'll go, but ... there are just a bunch of big, fast guys who are out there," Brandt said of the Steelers.

"The nice thing about this draft class, there are a number of guys after Round 1 who can come in and give you the skill set they're going to develop," said Rob Rang of CBS and NFLDraftScout.com. Rang believes good receivers such as Woods, Hunter and Clemson's DeAndre Hopkins can be taken after the first round.

"Those are guys I could see going in the second round and could be as productive as Patterson and Austin."

Said Joe Hortiz, Baltimore's director of college scouting about receivers: "There is a really solid core group of guys in the middle rounds that I think will go in the second or third round that will be solid, dependable starters in the NFL."

That does not mean the Steelers won't take either Patterson or Austin in the first round. Each has the speed that would put them in Wallace's range. But this is a draft that has plenty of quality at wide receiver after that. And, as they have shown many times, the Steelers can find ones who fit them by waiting until the third round -- and beyond.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-likely-to-dive-into-rich-deep-pool-of-wrs-683945/#ixzz2QnsQqSFj

------------------------

so we get to pick 2?

I'll take any of these guys first...

Ben likes em big & tall

Cordarrelle Patterson*, WR, Tennessee
Height: 6-2. Weight: 216. Arm: 31.68. Hand: 9.08.
40 Time: 4.42.
Projected Round (2013): 1.
3/23/13: Patterson showed off his great athletic skill set at the Combine. He was very fast in the 40 and did well in the field drills. His size, speed, strength and explosiveness is a rare combination.

Sources told WalterFootball.com before the season that Tennessee had a great third receiver behind Justin Hunter and Da'Rick Rogers. That receiver was Patterson, and after Rogers was kicked off the team, Patterson took his place as the starting X (split end) receiver.

The junior college product showed off his elite speed and explosiveness when he opened the year by beating David Amerson for a 41-yard score on a go route straight down the field. Patterson also took a carry for a 67-yard touchdown later in first quarter. He had six receptions for 93 yards and a score against the Wolfpack.

Patterson totaled 46 receptions for 778 yards and five touchdowns in 2012. He ran the ball for 308 yards and three scores, too.

Patterson is very fast and explosive. He is raw, but filled with potential and could become a first-round pick because of his dynamic skill set.

Keenan Allen*, WR, California
Height: 6-2. Weight: 206. Arm: 32.68 Hand: 10.08.
Projected 40 Time: 4.49.
Projected Round (2013): 1.
3/23/13: A mid-season knee injury kept Allen from working out at the Combine. He is expected to work out for scouts before the 2013 NFL Draft.

Allen was held back all year by sub-par quarterback play from his brother Zach Maynard, but the wide out still managed to illustrate that he is a good player. Allen totaled 61 receptions for 737 yards and six touchdowns. He also averaged 14 yards per punt return, plus scored a touchdown. Allen played a lot better than his stats indicate. He missed the final three games with the knee injury. Allen has good size with speed and quickness.

8/17/12: Allen would be the first receiver selected in most draft classes. At the same time, he could easily make a run at being the top receiver even if Woods is in the same draft class. Allen had a very good debut in 2010. He caught 46 passes for 490 yards and five touchdowns as a freshman.

Allen was even better in 2011, hauling in 98 passes for 1,342 yards and six touchdowns. He is faster than many defensive backs expect and has a second gear to explode downfield. Allen runs the tough routes over the middle and in the shallow part of the field. He is dangerous with the ball in his hands and gets good yardage after the catch.

Allen is a physical receiver and attacks the football in the air. Some teams will probably prefer him over Woods.

Justin Hunter**, WR, Tennessee
Height: 6-4. Weight: 196. Arm: 33.28. Hand: 9.38.
40 Time: 4.44.
Projected Round (2013): 1-2.
3/23/13: At the Combine, Hunter gave proof that the lanky, blazing fast receiver from 2010 and 2011 was on his way back. He ran extremely well in the 40 and looked good in the field drills. WalterFootball.com was told by scouts that Hunter should be a first-round pick with his rare combination of size and speed.

Hunter seemed to be gradually regaining his speed and explosiveness following his 2011 knee injury. He totaled 73 receptions for 1,083 yards and nine touchdowns this year. Hunter played better in the second half of the season, including massive games against Troy and Missouri. He should become more of a deep threat again once he gets further removed from his injury.

8/17/12: Hunter looked poised for a mammoth season last year, posting 16 receptions for 302 yards and two scores in the first two games of 2011. However against Florida, on a routine 12-yard catch early in the third game, Hunter went down with a torn ACL following a leaping reception. It was a surprising injury as he did not take a shot to the knee, or have another player fall into his leg in a manner that typically causes knee ligament tears.

Prior to the injury, Hunter looked like a truly rare receiver who is extremely tall, but has the speed of a burner wide out. He had 16 receptions for 403 yards and two touchdowns as a freshman in 2010.

Hunter is healthy and ready to go in 2012. He played in the Volunteers' full-contact scrimmage without incident. Hunter will match up against the top cornerback in the nation in North Carolina State's David Amerson in Tennessee's first game of the season . If Hunter can regain his pre-injury form, he could be a first-round pick in 2013 or 2014.

DeAndre Hopkins*, WR, Clemson
Height: 6-1. Weight: 214. Arm: 33.38. Hand: 10.08.
40 Time: 4.57.
Projected Round (2014): 1-2.
3/23/13: A strong Combine and pro day have Hopkins on the bubble of the first round. Sources have told WalterFootball.com that Hopkins has impressed teams in interviews and there are a few playoff teams at the back of the first round that are high on him.

Hopkins started the 2012 season on fire. He became the No. 1 receiver for Clemson as Sammy Watkins started the year suspended and was slow to return to his freshman form. Hopkins picked up the slack and became the top receiver for Tajh Boyd. Hopkins had consistent production all season and torched LSU to end the year with 13 receptions for 191 yards and two scores. He made huge plays to help lead Clemson to a comeback victory.

Hopkins totaled 1,405 yards on 82 catches and 18 touchdowns in 2012. He burned defenses with his deep speed while showing reliable hands and good route running.

8/27/12: Hopkins is not as talented as Sammy Watkins, but Hopkins is a dangerous receiver in his own right. He was secondary receiver in 2011, but still caught 72 passes for 978 yards and five touchdowns. As a freshman in 2010 he hauled in 52 passes for 637 yards with four scores.

Hopkins should produce well over the next two years with Watkins drawing constant double teams. Overall, Hopkins has a nice skill set with speed, hands and route-running.

plenty more here:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013WR.php

st33lersguy
04-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Hopefully they don't draft one in the first round, all the WRs in the first round at that point will be reaches or have serious bust potential

Mojouw
04-18-2013, 09:46 AM
I'm starting to think that there is so much potential value and talent that a 1st round WR is super reactionary and short sighted this year. How much better is Patterson than Dobson, Rogers, Bailey, etc?

In comparison, what is the drop off at safety or corner between rounds 1 and 3? It seems to be larger.

I say no to a WR in the first unless someone is certain that Patterson is going to be a beast ala AJ Green, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant etc.

Spike
04-18-2013, 09:52 AM

I say no to a WR in the first unless someone is certain that Patterson is going to be a beast .

Nobody can guarantee anything, that's why they call the draft a crapshoot - - Limas Sweed

NJarhead
04-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Hopefully they don't draft one in the first round, all the WRs in the first round at that point will be reaches or have serious bust potential

I agree that I don't want them to grab one in the first round, though I think many players have potential to be busts regardless of the round or position. I think WR can wait.

OT - Is David Gilreath still on the PS? The handful of Wisconsin fans around here keep telling me how good he is. I'd like to see him get a shot at spot on the active roster.

Spike
04-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Oh - and Eddy better check his facts again

They are the only team to have two receivers earn Super Bowl MVP

Steelers have had THREE receivers win Super Bowl MVP: Swann, Ward and Holmes

Psycho Ward 86
04-18-2013, 11:49 AM
if we absolutely have to go early, i want hunter or allen

Dwinsgames
04-18-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm starting to think that there is so much potential value and talent that a 1st round WR is super reactionary and short sighted this year. How much better is Patterson than Dobson, Rogers, Bailey, etc?

In comparison, what is the drop off at safety or corner between rounds 1 and 3? It seems to be larger.

I say no to a WR in the first unless someone is certain that Patterson is going to be a beast ala AJ Green, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant etc.

I do not thing the drop in talent at S is that large from round 1 to 3 ( based on projections we will not know till next weekend for sure who goes where ) ...

I honestly do not think ( outside the top dozen players ) there is much difference from nearly anyone left in the so called first round down to middle 3rd early 4th ( dependent on pos ) that is not saying someone does not fall from those top dozen prospects ...

this is my primary reasoning for months saying trade down 4-6 picks at a time picking up more middle round selections as we go if we could come out of this draft with 2 or 3 2nd rounders , 3 picks in the 3rd we could load up on good nfl talent , not superstars , but solid pros ... superstars are nice to have but just not many of them in this entire draft so instead of settling for slightly better talent (and I do mean slightly better ) and having just 8 picks why not have a dozen picks and get more of those solid players

Steeldude
04-20-2013, 04:36 AM
Can any of them catch with only their hands?

Psycho Ward 86
04-20-2013, 12:40 PM
I agree that I don't want them to grab one in the first round, though I think many players have potential to be busts regardless of the round or position. I think WR can wait.

OT - Is David Gilreath still on the PS? The handful of Wisconsin fans around here keep telling me how good he is. I'd like to see him get a shot at spot on the active roster.

really? ive lived in wisco my whole life and im currently a badger but didnt think much of him as a receiver prospect coming out of college. And really overrated as a return man. i think youll have a hard time finding people that dont love the badgers that pimp gilreath really hard. not gonna lie though, his work at receiver in the preseason looked a lot better than anything he did in college

BND65
04-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Please excuse me if this has already been discussed. Why not look into Tyler Eifert? You have a big target, good hands and speed. I know we have 4 TE on roster, but Johnsons a "fullback", pope is a Fa i think, paulson ,spaeth and miller. Big boy for blocking and a big target for Ben.

st33lersguy
04-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Please excuse me if this has already been discussed. Why not look into Tyler Eifert? You have a big target, good hands and speed. I know we have 4 TE on roster, but Johnsons a "fullback", pope is a Fa i think, paulson ,spaeth and miller. Big boy for blocking and a big target for Ben.

Out of the question, TE is not a first round need.

GBMelBlount
04-20-2013, 06:25 PM

With the new Haley offense I have thought this as well but it did not look like there was a lot of talent at the TE position in this years draft.

Admittedly I know nothing about Eifert.

BND65
04-20-2013, 06:29 PM
Out of the question, TE is not a first round need.

I know TE is not a need, but with the WR in draft, taking Eifert gives us a good hands receiver but can also help more in the running game. Ala another Miller.

Texasteel
04-20-2013, 10:37 PM
I know TE is not a need, but with the WR in draft, taking Eifert gives us a good hands receiver but can also help more in the running game. Ala another Miller.

Keep in mind that the Steelers do not alway use their 1st pick on their largest need. If they think the dropoff in other positions are not that great, and think Eifert is the best available player where they are drafting, I would not be shocked if they took him.

vtw8lftr
04-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Keep in mind that the Steelers do not alway use their 1st pick on their largest need. If they think the dropoff in other positions are not that great, and think Eifert is the best available player where they are drafting, I would not be shocked if they took him.

I wouldn't be shocked if they traded back and selected Eifert in the 28-32 range... a la Falcons... by the way Falcons are the 30th pick and the same position we took Miller in 2005... fade twilight zone theme

Texasteel
04-20-2013, 11:45 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if they traded back and selected Eifert in the 28-32 range... a la Falcons... by the way Falcons are the 30th pick and the same position we took Miller in 2005... fade twilight zone theme

I was thinking more like 25, but we both have the same idea.

43Hitman
04-21-2013, 07:18 AM
I was thinking more like 25, but we both have the same idea.

yeah I was thinking 24 or 25 as well.

Mojouw
04-22-2013, 11:41 AM
This kind of sums up why I don't want a WR or at least not Patterson in the first:

"Patterson, in particular, is a polarizing case. His big-play ability is tantalizing, but he often disappeared from games. He didn't crack the SEC's top 10 in receiving yards, despite playing for a team that had the second-most pass attempts in the conference. He had just one 100-yard game (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/playmaker-score-2013#) with the Volunteers, and that came against Troy. Against SEC competition, he never gained more than 88 receiving yards, and averaged less than 50 yards per game on a pass-heavy team. For all his gifts, Patterson has done very little as a receiver to show he can play in the NFL." -- Football Outsiders. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/playmaker-score-2013

st33lersguy
04-22-2013, 11:57 AM
This kind of sums up why I don't want a WR or at least not Patterson in the first:

"Patterson, in particular, is a polarizing case. His big-play ability is tantalizing, but he often disappeared from games. He didn't crack the SEC's top 10 in receiving yards, despite playing for a team that had the second-most pass attempts in the conference. He had just one 100-yard game (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/playmaker-score-2013#) with the Volunteers, and that came against Troy. Against SEC competition, he never gained more than 88 receiving yards, and averaged less than 50 yards per game on a pass-heavy team. For all his gifts, Patterson has done very little as a receiver to show he can play in the NFL." -- Football Outsiders. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/playmaker-score-2013

Add in the fact that he is playing across a WR expected to be drafted in the first 2 rounds and was catching passes from a QB projected into the first 4 rounds, it looks even worse. Cordarelle Patterson is the next Darrius Heyward-Bey. If he can't be productive in college, what makes me believe that he can be productive in the pros? If the Steelers draft him this year, they will regret it by 2016

Psycho Ward 86
04-22-2013, 12:23 PM
would much much rather have allen, hopkins, or hunter before patterson

steel9guy
04-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Any position at all but a wide receiver in the first round. Any.

steelreserve
04-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Any position at all but a wide receiver in the first round. Any.

I'm going to go ahead and add punter to that list.

SteelerFanInStl
04-22-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm not a fan of Patterson at all. There's many WRs that I'd take before him. I still don't want a WR before the 3rd round either.

Psycho Ward 86
04-22-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm going to go ahead and add punter to that list.

as long as we keep long snapper on the board. greg warren's torn 2 acl's, we need some more depth there :chuckle:

Seven
04-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Is David Gilreath still on the PS? The handful of Wisconsin fans around here keep telling me how good he is. I'd like to see him get a shot at spot on the active roster.

Gilreath is still around. I really like the kid. He's small, but I think he gets the most out of what he has. I'd like to see him get a crack at the active roster even though I realize it's far fetched.

steelmann
04-23-2013, 04:12 PM

I would be quite surprised if Eifert was there in 28-32 range And think he would not get past Atlanta.In fact I think they move up to get him....Tony has been on the cusp of retirement for the last few years,i can see Atlanta replacing him with Eifert.

43Hitman
04-23-2013, 04:19 PM
if we're going to take a wr, it should be Austin from WVU. He can play in multiple postions. WR/RB/KR/PR

SteelerFanInStl
04-23-2013, 08:59 PM
if we're going to take a wr, it should be Austin from WVU. He can play in multiple postions. WR/RB/KR/PR

Austin will be long gone by #17, which is good IMO. He's too small for the NFL at 5' 9" 174lbs.

Psycho Ward 86
04-23-2013, 09:40 PM

KR and PR's need to be put on low premium. he's just too damn small imo to be either a full time wide receiver or runningback

Spike
04-24-2013, 04:46 AM
We need a defensive playmaker that can add some pass rush.

We need a new starting WR.

We need a new starting RB.

I don't care what order we get them, just get some.

KeiselPower99
04-25-2013, 11:56 AM
I like Bailey and Dobson. Im kinda biased as ive watched them both play for the past few years.

Mojouw
04-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Stupid draft information overload. After reading this, I am beginning to see the logic of Patterson at 17....

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2013/futures-wr-cordarrelle-patterson-playmaker-0

Dwinsgames
04-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Stupid draft information overload. After reading this, I am beginning to see the logic of Patterson at 17....

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2013/futures-wr-cordarrelle-patterson-playmaker-0

Just remember this is the same kid who could not displace Da'Rick Rogers for the top WR job before Rogers got suspended from the team so you are likely to get as much talent later from Rogers

Mojouw
04-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Just remember this is the same kid who could not displace Da'Rick Rogers for the top WR job before Rogers got suspended from the team so you are likely to get as much talent later from Rogers

Good point. I guess it really becomes all about "value" for the pick(s) rather than a specific player perhaps. I've been thinking a lot about tiers of players and am starting to think a trade back really is the best option.

Know you agree with that. Should be an interesting couple of days.

st33lersguy
04-25-2013, 01:38 PM

You could have probably the same general stuff about guys like Mike Mamula, Tony Mandarich, Vernon Gholston, Darrius-Heyward Bey, or other raw athletes who looked lost as football players, you can't teach athletic ability, they have more athletic ability than most players, they have the capacity to learn. Time and time again, teams have gotten burned with this strategy, the front office taking a raw athlete who they think can develop into a great player only to be disappointed when it doesn't happen. This is such an important, the Steelers really need to nail this pick, drafting a raw kid with little production in college looks like too big of a risk

Texasteel
04-25-2013, 01:57 PM
I like Bailey and Dobson. Im kinda biased as ive watched them both play for the past few years.

I am thinking one of the two will be a Steeler. Personally I like Bailey but think it will be Dobson. That wouldn't break my heart either. Man, I wish we had another 3rd round pick.

Dwinsgames
04-25-2013, 04:22 PM
I am thinking one of the two will be a Steeler. Personally I like Bailey but think it will be Dobson. That wouldn't break my heart either. Man, I wish we had another 3rd round pick.

King would also be a nice option perhaps a round later

Mistah Q
04-26-2013, 09:08 PM
We need a defensive playmaker that can add some pass rush.

We need a new starting WR.

We need a new starting RB.

I don't care what order we get them, just get some.
Wish granted ;)