PDA

View Full Version : Cheap FA options for Steelers Needs

NCSteeler
04-15-2013, 09:52 AM
PFT’s All-Unemployed Team

These are all guys from the list that I think could be had at a decent price post draft.

Obviously all these options could be had in the draft , but if we miss a position inthe draft or feel what we have needs improvement.

They have been kicking the tires on Bradshaw

I think Henderson could be a decent deep threat for Ben

Not sure how much Dallas has left but he could be a cheap interim until Heath is back

If they think Worlids is not up to the challenge or needs a push, Shaun Phillips possibly could come cheap at his age and still have some motor left.

I would love to have Barnett are a fill in guy in the middle

And I think Jammer would be a nice experienced guy to throw in the mix at CB

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/10/pfts-all-unemployed-team/

Running back: Ahmad Bradshaw.

Durability looms as the major concern with Bradshaw, who has had foot issues.

Wide receiver: Brandon Lloyd, Devery Henderson.

Lloyd would be a fine short-term solution for a team looking for an outside receiver. Henderson is a complementary player in the passing game, but he runs well and has missed one game in the last six seasons.

Tight end: Dallas Clark.

The best receiving option at his position still left on the market. However, he turns 34 in June.

Outside linebacker: Shaun Phillips, Daryl Smith.

Phillips will be 32 in May, but he notched 9.5 sacks in 2012, so it’s not as if he couldn’t be of assistance to a defense that uses 3-4 looks. Smith was limited to two games a season ago with a groin injury, but he’s the best 4-3 outside linebacker available. Age could also be a concern with Smith, who turned 31 in March. Let’s also mention James Harrison, like Phillips an interesting short-term option for a club employing a “30” front.

Inside linebacker: Karlos Dansby, Brian Urlacher.

Dansby lost his job when the Dolphins added Dannell Ellerbe, but he comes off a 134-tackle season and has a long track record of success. There’s probably still a place for him in the league, and the Bengals are meeting with him on Wednesday. Urlacher fit best in Chicago, but the door seems to have closed on his return. Besides, he’ll be 35 in May. Honorable mention goes to Nick Barnett, who has notched more than 100 tackles in every season in which he’s played even close to 16 games.

Cornerback: Quentin Jammer, Jacob Lacey.

Reliability and availability are Jammer’s strengths at this stage of the game. He’s made 161 career starts and missed just four games in 11 NFL seasons, all with San Diego. Lacey, who has started at least eight games in all four of his pro seasons, will be just 26 at the start of the 2013 campaign.

Spike
04-15-2013, 01:44 PM
I don't think they have enough $ left for a bag of chips...till after June

Devilsdancefloor
04-15-2013, 02:24 PM
I like shaun phillips for a back up plan at OLB sedrick ellis might just need a change of venue :noidea: if we have enough to do anything, but wait for the draft

- - - Updated - - -

I like shaun phillips for a back up plan at OLB sedrick ellis might just need a change of venue :noidea: if we have enough to do anything, but wait for the draft

Psycho Ward 86
04-15-2013, 04:20 PM
love shaun phillips as well. looks like it depends on how much the FO thinks of adrian robinson and chris carter. 4 bodies at OLB already, 5 if we add shaun phillips, and he clearly isnt a long term solution. looks like a good guy to have to compete for the starting job or at least be a prominent backup.

Galax Steeler
04-16-2013, 03:51 AM
I think the only other free agent signing the Steelers will do this year is Bradshaw. It is possible that they will sign someone after the draft but who knows what the Steelers are thinking.

TomlinSteelTribe
04-16-2013, 08:07 PM
I agree with Galax, if there's still enough money left after the Sanders up-sale, Bradshaw looks to be the only significant FA signing (assuming his foot checks out). I'm completely on board. Redman and Dwyer had their chances last year and didn't get it done. Bradshaw runs hard, and from everything I've ever seen of the guy, is a TRUE competitor (cough, unlike the more common Wallace types). I know we have some depth already, but I would like to see a vet OL brought in on the cheap. We have a lot of talent on the OL, but it's mostly youth. I worry they won't push themselves without a vet lighting a fire under em. Sure, you could point to Ramon Foster as the senior of the group, but an undrafted guy might not demand the same level of respect among his peers as a more highly-touted vet.

Spike
04-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Bring back Max for vet minimum 2 June and it's all good

TomlinSteelTribe
04-16-2013, 08:18 PM
I honestly believe we're okay at CB. No need for guys like Jammer when we picked Willie Gay back up. Allen should start and Gay will push Brown for the nickel spot. There's enough competition at this position as is.

- - - Updated - - -

Bring back Max for vet minimum 2 June and it's all good

Good point about Starks. Although, I do remember some years back reading/hearing something about his lack of work ethic... Can't recall the source. I'm just thinking a new face among the group might do wonders. Starks might be too familiar to the OL group to light a fire under em.