PDA

View Full Version : Steelers, Jarvis Jones starting to look like a possible match

Shoes
04-14-2013, 11:05 PM
With iconic Pittsburgh linebacker James Harrison (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/665/james-harrison) possibly launching a revenge tour in Cincinnati, the Steelers have all the more reason to find a high-end replacement for one of the most feared defenders in football.http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/14/steelers-jarvis-jones-starting-to-look-like-a-possible-match/

Steeltreal
04-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Ive got a match, my butt and uh, your butt. Hehe hehe, hih huh , huh huh.

st33lersguy
04-15-2013, 12:15 AM
These possible matches often do not come true, so I am not holding my breath. Not out of the question for a team drafting before Pittsburgh to overlook injury history and draft him for his talent

Hindes204
04-15-2013, 07:44 AM
I think he's gone before we pick.....I say the Jets or the Bills snatch him up

Spike
04-15-2013, 08:08 AM
James Harrison possibly launching a revenge tour in Cincinnati

Florio is such a hack, and PFT is a hack gossip website. Florio would peddle anything that gets him attention.

SteelerFanInStl
04-15-2013, 08:18 AM
I think he's gone before we pick.....I say the Jets or the Bills snatch him up

I think so too. He's the player that I'd love to have but I just don't see it happening.

steelerdude15
04-15-2013, 10:30 AM
I am absolutely sold on him and I think he would be a great fit for this team. However, I do feel he may not be there when its our time to draft someone. If he is there, there is without a doubt he will be drafted by this team. OLB is our biggest need.

Dwinsgames
04-15-2013, 01:49 PM
not sure he makes it past the Cardinals , if he does there is potentially 3 other teams that could take him before he gets to us .... hope he does though because I do not want to draft a S @ 17 .... round 2-4 can net you some good Safteys in this draft and potentially as deep as round 5 ( if you count a few corners that project well at S )

steelreserve
04-15-2013, 02:01 PM
It would suck having to waste a high draft pick on this a couple years after we used another high draft pick on the same position ... but yeah, I am not really sold on Worilds as anything more than a role player. Apparently the coaching staff is counting on him, though. Who knows. I wouldn't be surprised with any position we drafted in the first round except QB or TE, probably OL too.

Steeltreal
04-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Is Worilds given the starter role or competing with Chris Carter at OLB

Dwinsgames
04-15-2013, 03:03 PM
It would suck having to waste a high draft pick on this a couple years after we used another high draft pick on the same position ... but yeah, I am not really sold on Worilds as anything more than a role player. Apparently the coaching staff is counting on him, though. Who knows. I wouldn't be surprised with any position we drafted in the first round except QB or TE, probably OL too.

if the right O-Lineman falls to us at 17 I would not be shocked to see him taken .... not my favorite selection but not much I can do about it no matter who they take ...

this draft is thin at the top end in terms of value and middle heavy the more picks you can obtain in those middle rounds the better off you are is my thoughts ...

make as many mini trade backs as possible picking up 3rd and 4th round picks along the way would be spectacular but not within our normal MO ...

- - - Updated - - -

Worilds is atop the depth chart but anything less than an open competition is a mistake IMO and in a fair open competition I would not rule out Adrian Robinson landing the job

TomlinSteelTribe
04-16-2013, 10:37 PM
The neck issue is a concern but this guy looks like the real deal. Draft day should be purdy interesting. Only positions I don't see us taking in the first are qb and te. If one of those blue chip guards falls to us, Tomlin/Colbert might just pull the trigger. I'm not sold on the idea (we already have so much youth on the OL), but with the lack of OGs taken in the top-half of the first round, one of the two will likely fall.

I really don't see our team having all of the holes everyone is talking about. The DL coach seems to think a lot of McLendon. Cortez Allen has shown some promise. Worilds is the biggest question mark in my mind and he had 5 sacks with somewhat limited opportunity last season. Gotta think Woodley won't take off 2 years in a row. Foote, Clark, and Troy: we have to find replacements for these guys, but they should be fine as starters this season (fingers crossed they stay healthy).

If the OL plays near or at their pre-draft potential, I think we're a playoff team. A lot of other factors go into making the playoffs (Ben staying healthy, generating more turnovers on D, etc.), but the OL is the most important question mark in my opinion. (Sorry, know this post is all over the place and only partially on topic)

TMC
04-17-2013, 11:30 AM
I would pass on Jones. I just do not see Top 20 traits on film. Some do. I do not. He does not have great speed to bend the corner. He gets a lot of sacks off free runs and pressure pushing the QB to him. He is good enough against the run. Decent against the pass. I just do not set that explosive pass rusher in the film. Apparently I may be the only one that does not see it.

Dwinsgames
04-17-2013, 11:45 AM
to be honest , beating your man like a drum could by some be confused easily with running free to the QB ....

Jones is slow .... he ran a poor 40 blah blah blah ....

Plug in the tape , he is far from slow on the football field compare his speed to the guys who he lines up against because MANY of those SEC guys he is lined up against will be the pros he faces week in week out in the NFL ... he sure does NOT look slow to me .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJsBr8HqsEA

not that I expect him to be there when we pick , however if he is he is one of the few players I advocate taking without trading down first to do so ...

Steeltreal
04-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Its in Kevins hands now. Or always has been

TMC
04-17-2013, 12:56 PM
to be honest , beating your man like a drum could by some be confused easily with running free to the QB ....

Plug in the tape , he is far from slow on the football field compare his speed to the guys who he lines up against because MANY of those SEC guys he is lined up against will be the pros he faces week in week out in the NFL ... he sure does NOT look slow to me .....

not that I expect him to be there when we pick , however if he is he is one of the few players I advocate taking without trading down first to do so ...

You may struggle to understand the difference between a free run and beating your man, I do not. If it baffles you, so be it.

As far as who he faced, he faced 4 players that look like they have a shot in the NFL. First, he faced Xavier Nixon. He will likely be drafted. Doubt he finishes his cup of coffee in the NFL, highly unlikely he ever finds a starting role. He also faced Dallas Thomas, beat him with speed. Any doubt why people are wanting to kick him inside to guard? He faced Alabama, who has two NFL caliber OTs. He got pressure when lined up at LOLB and Alabama did not place a TE on the edge of Fluker. He beat him with speed. When he played as a ROLB, Cyrus Kouandjio made him his bitch. Not only did he cut off the corner, when he put his hands on him, he slung him around like a rag doll. As the game wore on, they just quit using him at ROLB.

So, the ONLY NFL caliber LT beat his ass. Now, that could be what you want in the first. It could be your idea of elite at ROLB, but it is not mine. Maybe you should throw in more than some highlights, because Limas F'ing Sweed looked real good in highlights. Troy Edwards did too.

Dwinsgames
04-17-2013, 01:12 PM
You may struggle to understand the difference between a free run and beating your man, I do not. If it baffles you, so be it.

As far as who he faced, he faced 4 players that look like they have a shot in the NFL. First, he faced Xavier Nixon. He will likely be drafted. Doubt he finishes his cup of coffee in the NFL, highly unlikely he ever finds a starting role. He also faced Dallas Thomas, beat him with speed. Any doubt why people are wanting to kick him inside to guard? He faced Alabama, who has two NFL caliber OTs. He got pressure when lined up at LOLB and Alabama did not place a TE on the edge of Fluker. He beat him with speed. When he played as a ROLB, Cyrus Kouandjio made him his bitch. Not only did he cut off the corner, when he put his hands on him, he slung him around like a rag doll. As the game wore on, they just quit using him at ROLB.

So, the ONLY NFL caliber LT beat his ass. Now, that could be what you want in the first. It could be your idea of elite at ROLB, but it is not mine. Maybe you should throw in more than some highlights, because Limas F'ing Sweed looked real good in highlights. Troy Edwards did too.

I call it like I see it , if that does not fit your ideas on a player so be it ... My guess is when looking back in 4 years is I will be correct in my evaluations provided he is drafted into a 3-4 def be cause he clearly does not have the bulk to play DE and he is not a 4-3 Linebacker ... ( but we have seen players suited for the 3-4 go to 4-3 teams before and fail )

So I will agree to disagree with you ...

TMC
04-17-2013, 01:34 PM
And I am calling them like I see them. You can throw up highlights of a turd and he will look good. You have to watch game film, lots of it. In your highlights, when he faces Florida, there is a player where he works with #59. They work an inside game, both blitz, freezes the OG, the LT goes wide, the center bites to the right. Jones comes untouched. To you, that is beating his man. To me, that is a free run that ANY damn player can make. And, it is one of his highlights. There is another where he is pushed around the horn by the tackle, the LOLB comes in (#59 again) and misses the sack. The QB flushes right to him. Did he beat anyone by running around the world to get to the other side of the line? Nope. If the LOLB had not gotten there, both could have stood together and held hands.

The idea that you think you will be correct in your evaluations is bordering on laughable. NFL teams, with staffs of professional scouts and highly paid talent evaluators miss one out of every three first round picks. I expect to be wrong. Anyone who understands the draft would carry that expectation.

And, are you stating that if he goes to a 3-4 at OLB that it makes you correct? LMAO, like he cannot fail if he goes to a 3-4 team? His skill set is that of a 3-4 OLB. But, he does not show the gifts that the better 3-4 OLBs (Ware, Von Miller, etc) showed in college.

Just calling it like I see it.

Dwinsgames
04-17-2013, 01:55 PM
And I am calling them like I see them. You can throw up highlights of a turd and he will look good. You have to watch game film, lots of it. In your highlights, when he faces Florida, there is a player where he works with #59. They work an inside game, both blitz, freezes the OG, the LT goes wide, the center bites to the right. Jones comes untouched. To you, that is beating his man. To me, that is a free run that ANY damn player can make. And, it is one of his highlights. There is another where he is pushed around the horn by the tackle, the LOLB comes in (#59 again) and misses the sack. The QB flushes right to him. Did he beat anyone by running around the world to get to the other side of the line? Nope. If the LOLB had not gotten there, both could have stood together and held hands.

The idea that you think you will be correct in your evaluations is bordering on laughable. NFL teams, with staffs of professional scouts and highly paid talent evaluators miss one out of every three first round picks. I expect to be wrong. Anyone who understands the draft would carry that expectation.

And, are you stating that if he goes to a 3-4 at OLB that it makes you correct? LMAO, like he cannot fail if he goes to a 3-4 team? His skill set is that of a 3-4 OLB. But, he does not show the gifts that the better 3-4 OLBs (Ware, Von Miller, etc) showed in college.

Just calling it like I see it.

seems to me you are more concerned with attacking me and trying to offend me more so than anything else , if that's your game go right ahead be a bitch ....

fact is I see him as a player who will be a success from the upper portion of this draft worthy of an early pick value wise ... not many players in THIS draft are worthy of first half of the first round ...

you do not like him , fine say it and move on ....

as for attacking my stance on the player whatever , no need to be a dick about it .... but clearly from how you are going about this it is more of a personal attack on me than about the player ...I see your game

TMC
04-17-2013, 03:25 PM
seems to me you are more concerned with attacking me and trying to offend me more so than anything else , if that's your game go right ahead be a bitch ....

fact is I see him as a player who will be a success from the upper portion of this draft worthy of an early pick value wise ... not many players in THIS draft are worthy of first half of the first round ...

you do not like him , fine say it and move on ....

as for attacking my stance on the player whatever , no need to be a dick about it .... but clearly from how you are going about this it is more of a personal attack on me than about the player ...I see your game

Pump the brakes Sparky. I stated this in my original post:
"He does not have great speed to bend the corner. He gets a lot of sacks off free runs and pressure pushing the QB to him."

In the very next post, you state this:
"to be honest , beating your man like a drum could by some be confused easily with running free to the QB ....
Plug in the tape.... "

So, who else said anything about free runs? Who else said anything about his speed? I was the ONLY one that mentioned it. You said you liked him earlier....why feel the need to throw out vague statements about people being confused in the difference between free runs and beating a man? Why the need to throw out a comment about his speed? I guess it was simply coincidental that those comments popped into your head and that post directly followed mine.

As for popping in the tape, I seriously doubt you have popped in as many tapes as I have. Funny, you think me pointing out where I think you are wrong is being a dick, but stating I may be confused with a free run and beating a man or his lack of speed (LMAO at the 40 being an indicator of the speed I am talking about) is just cool.

Maybe what you should have done after you said your peace initially was not be a dick about it.

Texasteel
04-17-2013, 03:33 PM
This thread is about Jarvis Jones, not any member of this board. Please keep comments focused on the topic. Anything else handle in a PM. None of us will further our oppinions by attacking another member.

Steeldude
04-17-2013, 04:21 PM

IMO, the ROLB and LOLB should both be open

Steeltreal
04-17-2013, 05:48 PM

Lol! But I just bought my #56 Jersey this season cmon.

TomlinSteelTribe
04-18-2013, 04:11 AM

Completely with ya there. Woodley better bring it.

TMC
04-18-2013, 08:50 AM
They cannot afford to make the LOLB position an open competition. Woodley will start. He will be the man on the left side. They have too much money invested in Woodley.

Best case scenario would be to draft a young player, have him turn out, have Worilds turn out, and then Woodley becomes less valuable (while starting), and you can trade him in a season or two. Better yet, draft a mid-round guy, have him and Worilds turn out well, Woodley get back to form, and you have a monster pass rush where you play all three on known passing downs.

st33lersguy
04-21-2013, 06:06 PM
If Jarvis Jones is available at 17, they would be fools to pass him up. He was a top 5 pick at the end of the college football season for being one of the elite pass rushers in college football while playing in the nation's toughest conference. The only reason his stock has been hurt is because his medical condition, in which at least one doctor has cleared him on, and an issue he has had dating back to college while being an effective pass rusher, and his slow forty time, which quite honestly is meaningless in regards to whether a guy can play. He can help boost the team's sack total which has been lacking and in college, he stepped up in the biggest game, a good sign.

zulater
04-21-2013, 07:42 PM
They'd have to trade up to get Jones. Of course Colbert has shown a willingness to trade up for his guy in the past. So who knows? But I doubt you get him at 17 nonetheless.

Mojouw
04-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Hopefully, Jones will be gone by the Steelers pick and they won't have to draft a guy that simply does not project well in the pros.

"This is what happens when you bomb your pro day. Jones’s 4.88 forty, 30.5-inch vertical jump, and 9-foot-4 broad jump are poor numbers -- especially for a smaller edge rusher like Jones, who tips the scales at only 245 pounds. Here is a complete list of edge rushers drafted since 1998 that had a 4.80 forty or worse at under 250 pounds: Casey Dailey (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/player/19976/casey-dailey), Bryant McNeal (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/player/17794/bryant-mcneal), Cheta Ozougwu (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/player/27247/cheta-ozougwu), and Kroy Biermann (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/player/15428/kroy-biermann). Biermann has been a solid contributor, but he is the only one on that list with a career sack. Jones’s production is good, but not quite good enough to outweigh bad pre-draft workouts. Compare Jones to a player like Terrell Suggs (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/player/17008/terrell-suggs), who had a disappointing 4.84 forty at the Combine but "are you sure that’s not a typo?"-level production in college. Suggs had 44 sacks in 36 games, compared to Jones’ 28.5 in 34 games." --Football Outsiders http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/sackseer-2013

steel9guy
04-22-2013, 12:29 PM
I like Jone's playmaking ability. I think when he's on the field he will be a beast for us. If we can get him.

TMC
04-23-2013, 09:43 AM
The more I look into Jones, the more I think he has a low ceiling and is a risky pick. I do not see the dominance in his game and the fact that he comes with questionable measurables and health concerns means you are likely spending your first round pick on a very risky player that may not turn into an elite guy anyway.

Too many of these "first round" pass rushers have too many questions. In a draft where the Steelers need an influx of talent, I do not gamble. I take the guys more NFL ready that have high ceilings, even if it is not the sexy pick. If you need $500 to make rent, you make safe investments to get there. You do not go out and buy lottery tickets. Jones, Mingo, etc are lotto tickets. Eifert, a guard, a DT, one of the top OTs, they are the safer investments.

GBMelBlount
04-23-2013, 09:56 AM
The more I look into Jones, the more I think he has a low ceiling and is a risky pick. I do not see the dominance in his game and the fact that he comes with questionable measurables and health concerns means you are likely spending your first round pick on a very risky player that may not turn into an elite guy anyway.

Too many of these "first round" pass rushers have too many questions. In a draft where the Steelers need an influx of talent, I do not gamble. I take the guys more NFL ready that have high ceilings, even if it is not the sexy pick. If you need $500 to make rent, you make safe investments to get there. You do not go out and buy lottery tickets. Jones, Mingo, etc are lotto tickets. Eifert, a guard, a DT, one of the top OTs, they are the safer investments.

Great points TMC.

I actually like the idea of Eifert.

Imagine having two elite TE's...

However I would love it if Ansah dropped to us. Unpolished or not.

Texasteel
04-23-2013, 10:07 AM
I just don't agree on Jones. I am on the other hand warming up to the Eifert pick, I am starting to hear that Eifert may move up past us in the draft though.

GBMelBlount
04-23-2013, 10:49 AM
I just don't agree on Jones. I am on the other hand warming up to the Eifert pick, I am starting to hear that Eifert may move up past us in the draft though.

That is what is neat about how fluid the pre-draft process is.

If someone like Eifert moves up past us....another "steal" may drop to us (like DeCastro).

Exciting stuff.

HollywoodSteel
04-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Dwins, You know I respect everything you have to say, and I especially defer to you when it comes to the draft because I'm not a big college football guy, so when I ask you about this I'm asking in all sincerity: What is it about him that makes you think he's special (like, top-half-of-first-round-special)? From what I've read about him, and what little I have seen, I have some of the concerns as some others. He played in a 3-4 in college where you can take advantage of a lot of opportunities that won't be there in the NFL. How do you think he will beat the kind of LTs he will face in the NFL? With speed, power, technique, smarts, or sheer will? Or a combination of some of those?

Again, I'm not being facetious. A lot of people are really high on him. I'd just like a more detailed analysis from you if you don't mind.

Spike
04-23-2013, 05:44 PM

measurables?

jibber jabber -Jones is a good FOOTBALL player - we need playmakers on defense

risky pick?

low ceiling?

oh pul-leze, every draft pick is a risk

st33lersguy
04-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Seriously, pre-draft workouts are meaningless. The guy is a football player, a true pass rusher, sometihng that by the way, the team has been in short supply of. Honestly, passing up one of the top pass rushers in this year's draft class for a TE that we do not need (Heath Miller will return this season) would be a boneheaded decision. I hope this guy falls to us, maybe the defense will start actually making some plays and providing consistently high sack totals for the first time in a few years

Shoes
04-23-2013, 08:56 PM
I'd be delighted in picking up Eifert. No one knows when Miller will be back or what his limitations will be. We surely don't have any TE's on the team at this time who can do anything like Heath.

Seven
04-24-2013, 12:21 AM
I'd be delighted in picking up Eifert. No one knows when Miller will be back or what his limitations will be. We surely don't have any TE's on the team at this time who can do anything like Heath.

The problem I have with drafting Eifert or Ertz... is that a first round tight end is going to do what for us when Heath gets healthy? I certainly don't think Heath is declining, and just don't see how having two great tight ends is as important as addressing some of the other more serious needs this squad has such as lack of pass rushers, receivers, running backs. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have another stud tight end. But to me, that's a luxury pick and we can't afford a luxury pick this year. Heath will be out for a while, and Paulson and Spaeth aren't going to produce like he would, but when he comes back we should be set at tight end again and I think he's got another five years left. I just don't see it.

st33lersguy
04-24-2013, 12:26 AM
The problem I have with drafting Eifert or Ertz... is that a first round tight end is going to do what for us when Heath gets healthy? I certainly don't think Heath is declining, and just don't see how having two great tight ends is as important as addressing some of the other more serious needs this squad has such as lack of pass rushers, receivers, running backs. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have another stud tight end. But to me, that's a luxury pick and we can't afford a luxury pick this year. Heath will be out for a while, and Paulson and Spaeth aren't going to produce like he would, but when he comes back we should be set at tight end again and I think he's got another five years left. I just don't see it.

Agreed

Texasteel
04-24-2013, 07:56 AM

What if Miller doesn't get back till half way through the season. The constant ' no news ' makes me a little nervous. When ever Miller does get back this could give us a TE tandum that may rival New England's. Our QB has started using the TE position a lot more, and Miller had the second high recieving yards last year. We want Ben to have all the weapons he can get and a top quality TE would be another weapon.

TE would not be my first choice either, but I can see it happening. The Steelers could see this as an option.

st33lersguy
04-24-2013, 08:54 AM
What if Miller doesn't get back till half way through the season. The constant ' no news ' makes me a little nervous. When ever Miller does get back this could give us a TE tandum that may rival New England's. Our QB has started using the TE position a lot more, and Miller had the second high recieving yards last year. We want Ben to have all the weapons he can get and a top quality TE would be another weapon.

TE would not be my first choice either, but I can see it happening. The Steelers could see this as an option.

Then Miller returns for the 2nd half of the season and the TE we just drafted rots on the bench. The lack of a TE lasts for only a short time, the lack of a starting RB, lack of depth at safety, and lack of depth among OLB among others lasts much longer and will have a bigger impact

Dwinsgames
04-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Dwins, You know I respect everything you have to say, and I especially defer to you when it comes to the draft because I'm not a big college football guy, so when I ask you about this I'm asking in all sincerity: What is it about him that makes you think he's special (like, top-half-of-first-round-special)? From what I've read about him, and what little I have seen, I have some of the concerns as some others. He played in a 3-4 in college where you can take advantage of a lot of opportunities that won't be there in the NFL. How do you think he will beat the kind of LTs he will face in the NFL? With speed, power, technique, smarts, or sheer will? Or a combination of some of those?

Again, I'm not being facetious. A lot of people are really high on him. I'd just like a more detailed analysis from you if you don't mind.

sometimes players just jump off the page at you with the fact regardless of the situation they in the end somehow someway make a play , Jones is one of those guys ....

Jones has exceptional ability to use his arms to keep his body clean , he shows up and gets results and is not a guy who disappears for large stretches of games he plays hard every down and forces the guy across from him to play just as hard ( and he still succeeds ) he has shown when he is able to take a few steps toward the LOS his speed turns into power ( yes he has speed that does not show up in the 40 on a track but in pads on the field he is plenty fast ) , he can set the edge , something Harrison did not get nearly as much credit for as he should have by many and it is something that Worilds has yet to prove he can do ...

He is not out of place in coverage or lost , and is versatile enough to be a every down Linebacker in the 3-4 and is far more athletic than his workout numbers would indicate ....

production matters and Jarvis is a producer in that department , he plays with determination and instincts and you just can not teach those things , he is versatile too you can line him up anywhere and move him around to exploit mismatches ...

he plays well in space and in the chase game too , if production is what you are looking for at the end of the day Jones will provide it in bunches and with this being a passing league you need as many guys as you can get your hands on that can rush the passer and run down plays .... he makes his home on the opponents side of the LOS and when you have players that can do that sort of thing it puts pressure on the opposition to get the ball out in a hurry and that in itself forces errors in the passing game and makes life a lot easier for your DBs to not only cover their man but to make plays on errant throws ...

Jones IMO is one of the top 10 players in this draft and when you have a player that ranks that high and is at the same time a Pos of need for your football team , if he is there you must pull the trigger on him ..

Jones has power , speed and determination , has great hands and initial punch and is far more athletic on the field than he is in workouts ( some guys turn it on for game day well beyond anything they can reproduce in a non competitive environment such as a workout ) Jones is one of those guys , he IMO is as much of a can't miss prospect as anyone can be ( nobody is can't miss there are always going to be questions )

at the end of the day , watch him play , the tape does not lie , the results do not lie ..Jones was highly productive in the SEC and he did not become that productive by accident

Hollywood ( any / all the other guys from my old board ) here is what Curt ( BigC ) has to say on Jones ( so it isn't just me ) Jarvis Jones (http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/04/06/georgias-jarvis-jones-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report/) and for those who are unaware of Curts credentials he is not just a columnist for Rant sports he is a draft authority that has been featured many times on espn local affiliates covering the draft , has done many podcasts on the draft and ranks in the top 25 ( in 5 year averages ) vs guys like Kipper, Mayock , Rich Goslin and the like for his mocks and it is all documented .... I as many of you that have migrated here from the old board have had the luxury of Curt's insight for many years and have had the privilege of calling him a friend for the past dozen years ....

st33lersguy
04-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Seems like another case of muddling the clear distinction between great athlete and great football player

Texasteel
04-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Then Miller returns for the 2nd half of the season and the TE we just drafted rots on the bench. The lack of a TE lasts for only a short time, the lack of a starting RB, lack of depth at safety, and lack of depth among OLB among others lasts much longer and will have a bigger impact

I don't think we should cross off the loss of a reciever, that is no. 2 in recieving yards last year, so lightly. He will miss games, how many we don't know, I don't think they do either, hell he could be gone for the year. When he does come back it's hard telling how ready he will be played. Miller WILL be missed, and even more with what we have behind him. When he does come back I don't think the the young TE would be placed on the bench never to be seen again. There are teams that use two TEs regularly. New England has done very well with this. I don't think I would call the pick a luxury pick, more like insurance with benifits.

GBMelBlount
04-24-2013, 11:00 AM
I don't think we should cross off the loss of a reciever, that is no. 2 in recieving yards last year, so lightly. He will miss games, how many we don't know, I don't think they do either, hell he could be gone for the year. When he does come back it's hard telling how ready he will be played. Miller WILL be missed, and even more with what we have behind him. When he does come back I don't think the the young TE would be placed on the bench never to be seen again. There are teams that use two TEs regularly. New England has done very well with this. I don't think I would call the pick a luxury pick, more like insurance with benifits.

This.

crcsnail
04-24-2013, 11:07 AM
i love reading this stuff on the draft . i love watching the draft . but thats where my draft skills dissapear (hense i wont be entering the draft competition lol)
what are the chances, do u think of him falling to the steelers? who else could use him ? who else might trade up ? i keep seeing him appear on the mock drafts and going to the saints . will he fall to us ?

Dwinsgames
04-24-2013, 11:14 AM
i love reading this stuff on the draft . i love watching the draft . but thats where my draft skills dissapear (hense i wont be entering the draft competition lol)
what are the chances, do u think of him falling to the steelers? who else could use him ? who else might trade up ? i keep seeing him appear on the mock drafts and going to the saints . will he fall to us ?

who knows for sure , the Saints could take him they also may take Mingo (if on the board and whom I do not like nearly as much ) or Ogletree , they also may take a corner some also have them taking a 0-Lineman , you just never know

Spike
04-24-2013, 11:19 AM
Jones is not a bad pick, he's a good football player and we'd be lucky if he's there for us.

We need a defensive playmaker that can add some pass rush.

We need a new starting WR.

We need a new starting RB.

I don't care what order we get them, just get some.

Jarvis Jones and Le'Veon Bell as 1st/2nd round drafts - hell yeah I'd take that

Texasteel
04-24-2013, 11:24 AM

Just pick some names partner, you might get lucky, and you would own the title of " THE DRAFT KING " for the year. I really think in this draft anything might happen.

Dwinsgames
04-24-2013, 11:29 AM
I really think in this draft anything might happen.

you said a mouthful there

Psycho Ward 86
04-24-2013, 12:19 PM
word on the street is that the raiders are getting a lot of buzz about trading out of the 3rd overall pick. i say they do and really fuck up everybody's mock and the entire 1st round gets really weird

crcsnail
04-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Just pick some names partner, you might get lucky, and you would own the title of " THE DRAFT KING " for the year. I really think in this draft anything might happen.

Ok I'll give it a go for a giggle . Even though I don't see much college footie .

Shoes
04-24-2013, 02:06 PM

I agree Bro....I'd take Jones @ 17 but I'm feeling he'll be gone. I'd be happy with Aussies picks too.

Steelers Trade their #1 pick with Minnesota Vikings. ( Vikings are after Xavier Rhodes CB). Steelers get #1-25, 3-21 & 4-23)

1.25 Arthur Brown ILB Kansas State
2.48 Jesse Williams DE Alabama
3.79 Phillip Thomas FS Fresno State
3.83 Steadman Bailey WR WVU ******* ( score as an UDFA)
4.115 LeVeon Bell RB Michigan State
4.120 Corey Lemonier DE / OLB Auburn ************* ( score as an UDFA)
5.150 John Simon OLB Ohio State
6.186 Josh Boyce WR TCU
6.206 Terry Hawthorne CB Illinois
7.223 Nicholas Embernate OG San Diego State

UDFA's
Philander Browder WR Tuskegee
Ryan Griffin QB Tulane

Dwinsgames
04-24-2013, 02:11 PM
I agree Bro....I'd take Jones @ 17 but I'm feeling he'll be gone. I'd be happy with Aussies picks too.

Steelers Trade their #1 pick with Minnesota Vikings. ( Vikings are after Xavier Rhodes CB). Steelers get #1-25, 3-21 & 4-23)

6.186 Josh Boyce WR TCU

UDFA's
Ryan Griffin QB Tulane

1 major flaw is Simon will likely be off the board in round 3 roughly 75 picks before you have him going , Bell may not make it to round 4 either , just my 2 cents

Psycho Ward 86
04-24-2013, 07:25 PM

6.186 Josh Boyce WR TCU

UDFA's
Ryan Griffin QB Tulane

you think stedman bailey could be an udfa??? what?

Shoes
04-24-2013, 07:42 PM
These aren't my picks, they are Aussies. I like most of them.

I don't think Bailey will be a UDFA ...but I sure hope we pick him.

Shoes
04-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Mayock still has the Steelers picking Jones @ 17

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/mike-mayock/171006?pickId=2540145

steel9guy
04-24-2013, 10:54 PM
I haven't been as excited for a draft since 04. I really want Jarvis. Trying not to get my hopes up because the Saints will probably take him I believe.

steelreserve
04-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Well, whaddya know, that's who we got. Wonder what this means for Worilds. Seems like he's kind of the odd man out. Whatever; I kind of thought he was a WTF pick from the start.

st33lersguy
04-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Well, it happened, great pick

Count Steeler
04-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Well, whaddya know, that's who we got. Wonder what this means for Worilds. Seems like he's kind of the odd man out. Whatever; I kind of thought he was a WTF pick from the start.

Worilds has been adequate at LOLB, why not try Woodley on the inside?

HollywoodSteel
04-25-2013, 09:21 PM
sometimes players just jump off the page at you with the fact regardless of the situation they in the end somehow someway make a play , Jones is one of those guys ....

Jones has exceptional ability to use his arms to keep his body clean , he shows up and gets results and is not a guy who disappears for large stretches of games he plays hard every down and forces the guy across from him to play just as hard ( and he still succeeds ) he has shown when he is able to take a few steps toward the LOS his speed turns into power ( yes he has speed that does not show up in the 40 on a track but in pads on the field he is plenty fast ) , he can set the edge , something Harrison did not get nearly as much credit for as he should have by many and it is something that Worilds has yet to prove he can do ...

He is not out of place in coverage or lost , and is versatile enough to be a every down Linebacker in the 3-4 and is far more athletic than his workout numbers would indicate ....

production matters and Jarvis is a producer in that department , he plays with determination and instincts and you just can not teach those things , he is versatile too you can line him up anywhere and move him around to exploit mismatches ...

he plays well in space and in the chase game too , if production is what you are looking for at the end of the day Jones will provide it in bunches and with this being a passing league you need as many guys as you can get your hands on that can rush the passer and run down plays .... he makes his home on the opponents side of the LOS and when you have players that can do that sort of thing it puts pressure on the opposition to get the ball out in a hurry and that in itself forces errors in the passing game and makes life a lot easier for your DBs to not only cover their man but to make plays on errant throws ...

Jones IMO is one of the top 10 players in this draft and when you have a player that ranks that high and is at the same time a Pos of need for your football team , if he is there you must pull the trigger on him ..

Jones has power , speed and determination , has great hands and initial punch and is far more athletic on the field than he is in workouts ( some guys turn it on for game day well beyond anything they can reproduce in a non competitive environment such as a workout ) Jones is one of those guys , he IMO is as much of a can't miss prospect as anyone can be ( nobody is can't miss there are always going to be questions )

at the end of the day , watch him play , the tape does not lie , the results do not lie ..Jones was highly productive in the SEC and he did not become that productive by accident

Hollywood ( any / all the other guys from my old board ) here is what Curt ( BigC ) has to say on Jones ( so it isn't just me ) Jarvis Jones (http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/04/06/georgias-jarvis-jones-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report/) and for those who are unaware of Curts credentials he is not just a columnist for Rant sports he is a draft authority that has been featured many times on espn local affiliates covering the draft , has done many podcasts on the draft and ranks in the top 25 ( in 5 year averages ) vs guys like Kipper, Mayock , Rich Goslin and the like for his mocks and it is all documented .... I as many of you that have migrated here from the old board have had the luxury of Curt's insight for many years and have had the privilege of calling him a friend for the past dozen years ....

Thanks, D. As always I appreciate your expert opinion. I hope you and Curt are right!

Dwinsgames
04-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Thanks, D. As always I appreciate your expert opinion. I hope you and Curt are right!

http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/drinks.gif

steel9guy
04-25-2013, 11:40 PM
Worilds has been adequate at LOLB, why not try Woodley on the inside?

If Woodley is gonna continue to be fat and outta shape that's not a bad idea. Jones and Worilds outside with Timmons and Woodley inside sounds like a great pairing for inside and outside. Woodley has the size for sure even when he's in shape.