PDA

View Full Version : Steelers insider: No need for Steelers to rush to draft RB

stillers4me
04-07-2013, 08:23 AM
The Steelers (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/)' draft-day need for a reliable, consistent and hard-to-tackle running back might be greater than at any time in the past 20 years, yet the nation's very first NFL draftnik thinks the worst thing they could do would be to target a runner on the first day of the draft April 25.

To Mel Kiper Jr., who launched a cottage industry in the late 1970s with his NFL Draft analysis handbook and, later, his ESPN on-air work, the Steelers shouldn't rush to acquire a running back even as they come off their second-worst rushing season in 40 years.

“I'd say every year — I've been saying it for 35 years — you can find running backs at any point in the draft,” Kiper said........................

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3763252-74/steelers-running-yards#ixzz2PmdvtNkB

st33lersguy
04-07-2013, 08:32 AM
A lot of the top backs will likely be available round 2-3 but almost all will likely be gone after that, they need to draft one by the 3rd round

Spike
04-07-2013, 08:36 AM
I really wish this were a deeper draft on the OL, just our luck

Ben's ribs will be crushed again if we don't get a legitimate starting LT.....start there.

GBMelBlount
04-07-2013, 08:39 AM
We averaged 4.5 ypc in 2011 which was one of the best in the last 2 decades.

One off year is not cause to panic.

How deep is tackle in the draft?

Spike
04-07-2013, 10:17 AM
kind of a waste of an article...telling us what we DON'T want in the 1st rd

maybe...you'll like this

With the seventeenth pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Steelers select Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia.

The Pittsburgh Steelers powerhouse of the 2000's has recently started to decline. Despite a glut of talent that spanned the decade, many of their core players, as well as certain high profile youngsters, have retired or moved on from the team. As they enter the 2013 season, the Steelers have several holes widening on their once-stacked roster, both offensively and defensively.

The Steelers currently have one quarterback on the roster, an aging Ben Roethlisberger. With him at the helm, their offense will always be dangerous with the ability to move the ball. This offense, however, has a glaring need at the running back position, one that I expect the Front Office to fill within the first three rounds. The loss of Mike Wallace was a major detriment to their offense, leaving Old Man Burress across from the rising young Antonio Brown; replacing Wallace will not be a simple task, but I believe that solid receiving talent can be found deep into the second day.

I would say without hesitation that the Steelers have one of the top groups of three young offensive linemen in the entire league. Anchored by a world-class center in Maurkice Pouncey, their line features two other young players drafted near the top of their respective drafts. However, an offensive line consists of five big men, not three -- and if the right player were to fall to them at either LT or LG, I could see the Steelers pulling the trigger, especially for an athletic lineman like Jonathan Cooper or Lane Johnson.

Defensively, the Steelers are but a shell of their former glory -- their once fearsome Linebacking corps has crashed down unceremoniously back to average -- led by returning youngsters (relatively) LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons. The loss of James Harrison, one of the great enforcers in Linebacker history, is to be succeeded by the promising Jason Worilds.

While many Steelers fans are jockeying for another pass rushing OLB, they also see a need for ILB talent, presumably to spell and groom behind the Ancient One, Larry Foote. Their Safety corps is undermanned and aging, and there can never be enough CBs on a team, especially in this pass happy league, although it is unlikely that they fortify early. With Casey Hampton no longer on the depth chart, finding an anchor for their 3-4 is imperative, although this deep draft may have some gems to be uncovered on the second day. Despite an underperforming Ziggy Hood, the Steelers seem willing to stand pat at the DE position, with some solid talent in the wings.

I have identified the Steelers' positions of need to be either an athletic Offensive Lineman to bolster their interior, or a blue-chip prospect to groom in the Linebacking corps. Since Lane Johnson and Jonathan Cooper are already gone ...

With the 17th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select...

Linebacker JARVIS JONES from Georgia.

An athletic specimen with prototypical measurables and a storied & productive college career, the Steelers find value in the first round with a versatile linebacker. Being able to play either inside or outside, he will be able to involve himself in learning the system with help from Larry Foote, play spot duty for Foote or Lawrence Timmons, and provide third down rusher capability from the outside.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/4/7/4190980/2013-nfl-mock-draft-nn-pittsburgh-steelers-jarvis-jones

Dwinsgames
04-07-2013, 10:53 AM
We averaged 4.5 ypc in 2011 which was one of the best in the last 2 decades.

One off year is not cause to panic.

How deep is tackle in the draft?

Huge disparity in in talent from the #3 tackle and #4 tackle in this draft ...Johnson the 3rd rated Tackle will be gone before we pick so scratch tackle from round 1 .......

GBMelBlount
04-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Huge disparity in in talent from the #3 tackle and #4 tackle in this draft ...Johnson the 3rd rated Tackle will be gone before we pick so scratch tackle from round 1 .......

When is Johnson expected to come off the board?

Texasteel
04-07-2013, 11:31 AM

Top 10 or just outside of it.

There are other OTs that are worth a look. 2 of my favorites are Terron Armstead, and Menelik Watson, both could go in the 2nd. You might also take a look at David Quessenberry, or Reid Fragel.

Dwinsgames
04-07-2013, 11:33 AM

probably top 12 ( could go top 10 )

edit ..Tex beat me to it

GBMelBlount
04-07-2013, 11:40 AM
This may seem like an off the wall question but is a left tackle any less critical for Ben as compared to other QB's?

I realize he can get nailed just like the next QB but could left tackle be less critical because he moves around a lot more?

It is frustrating that we have spent half of our first two rounds on offensive line the last several years and STILL have such a need at arguably the most important position on the line.

Texasteel
04-07-2013, 11:49 AM
I think it is very important to protect the blind side of any QB, but that is just my thoughts. I guess we still don't know if Adams can be that OT. One reason I like Quessenberry is I think he would provide depth at all the OL possitions. I don't think I would want him starting at LT, but could fill in as a backup. I think he could start at RT or LG if we need him to. He may be moving up the board thought.

Dwinsgames
04-07-2013, 11:52 AM
tough call , we really do not know what Adams will bring , sure he was a 2nd round pick and looked horrible at times last year and very good at others but he was one of the better LT prospects in last years draft ( I was not real high on him but most where ) some seen him as a top 15 pick that slid because of off field issues not lack of talent ....

he has had a full season to develop and will have another training camp under his belt before he is tested again , you normally see the most development in a tackle in the first two years in the league growth wise and I suspect Adams will be no different .... albeit he will be moving to LT ( but that is considered his natural spot ) ....

my biggest issue is not the names on the back of the O-Linemans jerseys as much as it is their ability to stay on the field because NONE of the linemen ( with exception to Foster ) has yet to prove they have the ability to play a 16 game schedule without going down for an extended period

GBMelBlount
04-07-2013, 02:04 PM
I guess I think about how DeCastro who was the number one guard in the draft dropped to us and I wonder if there might be a decent chance with there being 3 first round grade tackles that one could fall to us.

Dwinsgames
04-07-2013, 02:28 PM
I guess I think about how DeCastro who was the number one guard in the draft dropped to us and I wonder if there might be a decent chance with there being 3 first round grade tackles that one could fall to us.

guards often fall in the draft though , interior lineman never hold the value of edge players ... not saying it is right but it is what it is ..

Steeldude
04-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Hopefully they don't use a pick on a RB in the first 3 rounds.

As of now the Steelers do not have a LT or a RT that has shown to be consistent/reliable.

NCSteeler
04-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Seems to me when Ben get's clobbered it's someone over the guards completely blowing up the line

GBMelBlount
04-07-2013, 05:16 PM
As of now the Steelers do not have a LT or a RT that has shown to be consistent/reliable.

I am probably naive but I am hopeful that Bicknell lights a fire under their fat asses and raises the bar A LOT.

A great coach can make a big difference imo.

steelreserve
04-07-2013, 06:31 PM

Ben's ribs will be crushed again if we don't get a legitimate starting LT.....start there.

Really? Really? How many high draft picks have we spent on exactly that the last three years? And still it's "the O-line is crap, we need to address the O-Line in the draft" ... AGAIN?

Face it, whether you think our LT situation is OK or not, they just drafted the two guys who they are counting on to become good tackles. Too many needs elsewhere to spend another top pick on a position we already addressed. This is not gonna happen, I will bet you any amount of money on that.

steel striker
04-07-2013, 08:03 PM
They have to sure up the o-line but, in all fairness when was the last season we had a healthy o-line? 2005...

Texasteel
04-07-2013, 08:16 PM
He will not, but if Lane Johnson did fall to us he would be very hard to pass on.

Steeltreal
04-07-2013, 08:31 PM
He will not, but if Lane Johnson did fall to us he would be very hard to pass on.
He could be your trade back mids 20s guy to pick up that extra 2nd

Spike
04-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Really? Really? How many high draft picks have we spent on exactly that the last three years? And still it's "the O-line is crap, we need to address the O-Line in the draft" ... AGAIN?

Face it, whether you think our LT situation is OK or not, they just drafted the two guys who they are counting on to become good tackles. Too many needs elsewhere to spend another top pick on a position we already addressed. This is not gonna happen, I will bet you any amount of money on that.

Last time the Steelers drafted a legitimate OT in the 1st rd?

Leon Searcy in 1992 - (Jamain Stephens doesn't count)

19 fucking 92! - way to protect your $100M QB!

zulater
04-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Last time the Steelers drafted a legitimate OT in the 1st rd?

Leon Searcy in 1992 - (Jamain Stephens doesn't count)

19 fucking 92! - way to protect your $100M QB!

Their projected starting offensive line for 2013. Maurkice Pouncey 1st round. David DeCastro 1st round. Mike Adams 2nd round Marcus Gilbert 2nd round, Ramon Foster undrafted free agent.

Look around the league. Tell me the teams that have invested more in the way of premium draft picks to protect their quarterback?

GBMelBlount
04-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Their projected starting offensive line for 2013. Maurkice Pouncey 1st round. David DeCastro 1st round. Mike Adams 2nd round Marcus Gilbert 2nd round, Ramon Foster undrafted free agent.

A lot of question marks + a new offensive line coach.

Not saying there is anything we should do in the draft...just saying.

zulater
04-07-2013, 09:58 PM
A lot of question marks + a new offensive line coach.

Not saying there is anything we should do in the draft...just saying.

Gilbert and health are the only question mark I see on the line.

GBMelBlount
04-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Do you know how good DeCastro and Adams will be?

Psycho Ward 86
04-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Do you have any idea how good DeCastro and Adams will be?

were riding heavily on the "will be" part. they need to put up or shut up and prove that they can be as good as their potential indicates before we can get all excited about this phantom great o-line we have (which we have yet to see)

Dwinsgames
04-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Do you know how good DeCastro and Adams will be?

worst case scenario .... serviceable ..

again my issue is not whether they can play to the lower standard or better we are accustomed to but if they can stay healthy a full season

steelreserve
04-07-2013, 10:23 PM
It doesn't really matter whether Adams or Gilbert are good enough right now/going to take 2 more years to be good/going to turn into total busts ... those are the guys we are counting on to turn into starting tackles. Who knows if they're actually going to be great or not; that's irrelevant to our draft plans this year. All I'm saying is we've placed our bets and we're unlikely to tear everything up just yet.

I don't think either of them has shown anything to prove that they're NOT going to pan out, which is essentially what would be needed to make it a smart move to go all-out finding a replacement (for them or anyone else who was drafted 1-2 years ago).

Does anyone know what Max Starks is doing? Last I heard he wasn't exactly creating a firestorm of interest on the free agent market.

GBMelBlount
04-07-2013, 10:28 PM
worst case scenario .... serviceable ..

again my issue is not whether they can play to the lower standard or better we are accustomed to but if they can stay healthy a full season

If nothing else healthy and serviceable is arguably better than what we've had the last 5 or 6 years.

fansince'76
04-07-2013, 10:55 PM
were riding heavily on the "will be" part. they need to put up or shut up and prove that they can be as good as their potential indicates before we can get all excited about this phantom great o-line we have (which we have yet to see)

If they can stay healthy, I'm pretty confident they'll still be light years better than the giant wall of shit we passed off as an O-line in 2008. It still amazes me we won it all considering how awful that line truly was, and the dope of an OL coach we had at the time certainly didn't make it any better. Point being, we've had it MUCH worse than we've got it in that department now, and fairly recently to boot.

Psycho Ward 86
04-07-2013, 11:32 PM
im very pleased max hasnt been getting any interest in free agency. shocking to say the least. same with foster, damn were we fortunate to get him back at a bargain basement price. that would be awesome to get max back on a 1 or 2 year deal

Spike
04-08-2013, 04:40 AM

Look around the league. Tell me the teams that have invested more in the way of premium draft picks to protect their quarterback?

STILL no OT's - anybody can run 3 yds and fall down on the inside - stopping pass rushers one on on on the outside is a whole different story

LLT
04-08-2013, 05:32 AM

Under Haleys new offense and with the line that we had last year.....

Ben's TD's were up.
His passing percentage was up.
and He was sacked 25% less than the year before.

....and that with a VERY young...inexperienced... line whose talent projection points up with every year of added experience. A line that ranked #15 in pass blocking. (Run blocking rank is skewed due to the running back by comittee failed approach that we implemented)

GBMelBlount
04-08-2013, 07:15 AM

Ben's TD's were up.

....and that with a VERY young...inexperienced... line whose talent projection points up with every year of added experience. A line that ranked #15 in pass blocking. (Run blocking rank is skewed due to the running back by comittee failed approach that we implemented)

Not sure we can solely blame running back by committee LLT.

The line has some culpability, wouldn't you agree? It did not seem like there were many holes last year.

I do understand your point but to me that is similar to making a converse argument that the pass blocking was 15th ONLY because Ben got rid of the ball quicker.

Just sayin. :drink:

Spike
04-08-2013, 07:16 AM
...and He was sacked 25% less than the year before.

and a crushed ribcage finished off our year - yeah that ol dink&dunk suuuuuuuuure saved him

stats are for losers

LLT
04-08-2013, 07:34 AM
...and He was sacked 25% less than the year before.

and a crushed ribcage finished off our year - yeah that ol dink&dunk suuuuuuuuure saved him

stats are for losers

By your logic....Christian Ponder being injured and ruled inactive prior to the wildcard playoff game is "evidence" of a poor offensive line....Even though the Vikings line is arguable one of the top three in the NFL.

Thats brilliant.

Throwing "facts" out, with no basis but personal emotion...is obviously for "winners".

Spike
04-08-2013, 07:41 AM
I don't give a shit about the Vikings, and I didn't say we have a poor OL, just no starting quality LT

....and the stink of losing still hangs off Haley like a fog......8-8

Dwinsgames
04-08-2013, 07:52 AM

Ben's TD's were up.

he missed 25% of the games too ( or did you take that into consideration when computing the percentages ? ) to lazy to do it myself LOL

LLT
04-08-2013, 07:53 AM
I don't give a shit about the Vikings, and I didn't say we have a poor OL, just no starting quality LT

The Vikings were brought up to show the fallacy of your argument. Whether you are talking about ONE linemen or all of them.

I have seen very few O-linemen come into the league as rookies and handle 5-10 year pros. Unfortunately its a baptism by fire and the fans have to just understand that there is going to be a learning curve for the first few years.

Unless you have a crystal ball, you can no more "know" that Gilbert and Adams will not be able to play LT...then the experts do. All we have to go by is their progression and both...especially Adams showed marked improvement as the year progressed.

He shows good knee bend.. good kick slide...and has a very impressive initial "punch". What I do notice is that he had his head on a swivel...which I attribute to still not being 100% sure about his blocking assignemnt. But as I said...it improved by the end of the year.

Am I saying that he will be an elite LT? No....I dont know and cant tell at this point. And neither can you. If we could we would be courted by every team in hte NFL...because NO ONE has that ability.

Dwinsgames
04-08-2013, 07:56 AM

because Haley was on the field to fumble and drop passes at an alarming rate ? /rolls eyes

coaches coach , players play ....

you can blame 8-8 on turnover differential , go look it up in every game we lost we turned the ball over more times than we created them ( except the Denver game ) and most games lost where a 1 score differential ... the difference between winning and losing close games is almost always a direct reflection of turnover differential

LLT
04-08-2013, 08:02 AM
he missed 25% of the games too ( or did you take that into consideration when computing the percentages ? ) to lazy to do it myself LOL

Total sacks regardless of who was behind center

Dwinsgames
04-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Total sacks regardless of who was behind center

gotcha

LLT
04-08-2013, 08:04 AM
because Haley was on the field to fumble and drop passes at an alarming rate ? /rolls eyes

you can blame 8-8 on turnover differential , go look it up in every game we lost we turned the ball over more times than we created them ( except the Denver game ) and most games lost where a 1 score differential ... the difference between winning and losing close games is almost always a direct reflection of turnover differential

This

Spike
04-08-2013, 08:25 AM

losing coaches stink, like Haley, he still has the stink of KC on him and it hasn't left

and when Ben is getting clobbered and fumbling I guess that doesn't count in your little book of secrets

- - - Updated - - -

The Vikings were brought up to show the fallacy of your argument. Whether you are talking about ONE linemen or all of them.

I have seen very few O-linemen come into the league as rookies and handle 5-10 year pros. Unfortunately its a baptism by fire and the fans have to just understand that there is going to be a learning curve for the first few years.

Unless you have a crystal ball, you can no more "know" that Gilbert and Adams will not be able to play LT...then the experts do. All we have to go by is their progression and both...especially Adams showed marked improvement as the year progressed.

He shows good knee bend.. good kick slide...and has a very impressive initial "punch". What I do notice is that he had his head on a swivel...which I attribute to still not being 100% sure about his blocking assignemnt. But as I said...it improved by the end of the year.

Am I saying that he will be an elite LT? No....I dont know and cant tell at this point. And neither can you. If we could we would be courted by every team in hte NFL...because NO ONE has that ability.

yes, there are plenty of LT's who come into the league and go right to the Pro Bowl - I just wish we had one of them

Dwinsgames
04-08-2013, 08:33 AM
it took a little searching but I found the ignore command ... pretty cool

LLT
04-08-2013, 08:44 AM
losing coaches stink, like Haley, he still has the stink of KC on him and it hasn't left

and when Ben is getting clobbered and fumbling I guess that doesn't count in your little book of secrets

yes, there are plenty of LT's who come into the league and go right to the Pro Bowl - I just wish we had one of them

In recent Memory...I recall Joe Thomas and Matt Khalil who was added this last year from the Pro Bowl alternatives.

Could you enlighten us to who these other "plenty" of Rookie LT's are, that made the Pro Bowl?

Spike
04-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Joe Thomas - look how's he's being wasted on the Browns

Dwinsgames
04-08-2013, 08:47 AM
damn it !!!

ignore does not keep out quoted posts http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/brick.gif

LLT
04-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Joe Thomas - look how's he's being wasted on the Browns

Uh...yea.

I named him and Khalil. Thats hardly "plenty".

Spike
04-08-2013, 09:00 AM
That's one more than we have.

Why do you hate Ben?

Does his wife know you want him dead?

Dwinsgames
04-08-2013, 09:04 AM
:troll:

LLT
04-08-2013, 09:16 AM
That's one more than we have.

Why do you hate Ben?

Does his wife know you want him dead?

I can only assume you missed the question portion of my statement....so Ill try again.

In recent Memory...I recall Joe Thomas and Matt Khalil who was added this last year from the Pro Bowl alternatives.

Could you enlighten us to who these other "plenty" of Rookie LT's are, that made the Pro Bowl?

Spike
04-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Jake Long

LLT
04-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Jake Long

Three LT's (and I named two for you) out of the large number that are drafted every year...is hardly "plenty". Like any position in the draft....there is a level of luck/hope/prayer that goes into each draft pick ...hoping they will pan out. For every Jake Long, there is a Chris Williams.

Spike
04-08-2013, 10:13 AM
you going on about the definition of "plenty" now?

what the fuck evar!

and I don't even need a "Pro Bowl" LT

I just want a legitimate starter, which was my whole point all along ... bring back Max

LLT
04-08-2013, 10:20 AM
you going on about the definition of "plenty" now?

what the fuck evar!

and I don't even need a "Pro Bowl" LT

I just want a legitimate starter, which was my whole point all along ... bring back Max

You used the word "plenty"...noone else. And you failed to provide "plenty" of examples when asked.

And back to the original point that others were making....There is no way to know AT THIS POINT if Adams or Gilbert can be that player. The jury is still out. To dismiss second rounders...especially those who show promise, after (in the case of Adams) one year ....is ludicrous.

Spike
04-08-2013, 10:36 AM
ha ha - I know what I want and I won't settle for second best

I demand nothing but the best for my QB

Dwinsgames
04-08-2013, 10:38 AM
signed Ben's Mom

LLT
04-08-2013, 10:41 AM
ha ha - I know what I want and I won't settle for second best

I demand nothing but the best for my QB

Infortuntely...none of us have a crystal ball and can predict... beyond a doubt...who is going to be that elite LT. And the flip side of that is noone can predict ...beyond a doubt...that the LT we have been waiting for isnt currently on the roster in the form of a young player that has yet to meet his future potential.

Spike
04-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Just keep your blundering ox Gilbert from destroying the knees of the rest of my OL and we might have a chance - hopefully Ben will keep ignoring Mr Dink&Dunk and score some points - - that's all that matters

although somebody might be able to talk me into Tavon Austin in the 1st - we need playmakers, and Ben loves his WR's

zulater
04-08-2013, 12:50 PM
a lot of times it takes a few years for a left tackle to get up to speed. Anyone old enought to remember John Jackson or Tunch Ilkin's first couple years in the league could tell you how inept they looked. One season,( might have been 89) Jackson gave up like 5 sacks in the first 2 games of the season. He looked like the worst left tackle in league history. From 90-94 he might have given up a total of 8 sacks combined. He became that good. Anyway I think both our young tackles have enormous potential and if you're patient you'll see they're better than anyone out there on the open market.

Pristas
04-08-2013, 01:17 PM
signed Ben's Mom

Spike is Ben's Mom?

Going back to the original intent of this thread, that is, No RB in the first round. I totally agree, as there is plenty of talent deeper. The question is... is there a WR that you have to take if he's there? I think if Patterson were to fall to us, it would be a no brainer. Then Vacarro. The LB position may be the shot in the dark spot where the Steelers draft a lot of them in later rounds, in hopes for a star. Man I hope Spence comes back from his injury. He was really promising.

Spike
04-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Going back to the original intent of this thread, that is, No RB in the first round..

how about the 2nd or 3rd?

Former Michigan State tailback Le'Veon Bell believes he's 'best back in the draft'

"I can do everything,'' he said. "I can do things that the 200 and 205-pound backs do, and I'm 230.

"I feel like I'm the most complete back in the draft.''

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/03/former_michigan_state_tailback.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=054wMZuv8xg&feature=player_embedded#!

GBMelBlount
04-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Just keep your blundering ox Gilbert from destroying the knees of the rest of my OL and we might have a chance

Blundering ox?

LMAO.

Must be his indian name.

Texasteel
04-08-2013, 06:16 PM
I like Bell, but then again I'm a Big 10 fan. Looking at the RBs that the Steelers have brought in I have a feeling they are targeting a RB in the 3rd round, and Bell would fit right into that area.

Seven
04-08-2013, 10:09 PM
I'd say every year — I've been saying it for 35 years — you can find running backs at any point in the draft,” Kiper said........................

I would just like to point out that Mel Kiper adds five years to this statement every year :chuckle:

LLT
04-08-2013, 11:25 PM
I like Bell, but then again I'm a Big 10 fan. Looking at the RBs that the Steelers have brought in I have a feeling they are targeting a RB in the 3rd round, and Bell would fit right into that area.

We have both talked about Bell and Ball in the third...I think there are at least 5 RB's that we could target in that round who might be able to start on day one. For those teams looking for a back that fits the "New" NFL...in which pass blocking and recieving skills are essential, LaVeon Bell and Joseph Randle are probably the best two options in the 2nd and third rounds.

Texasteel
04-09-2013, 12:19 AM
We have both talked about Bell and Ball in the third...I think there are at least 5 RB's that we could target in that round who might be able to start on day one. For those teams looking for a back that fits the "New" NFL...in which pass blocking and recieving skills are essential, LaVeon Bell and Joseph Randle are probably the best two options in the 2nd and third rounds.

I would be happy with either one of the two, and am almost sure one of them would be there for us in the 3rd. Except for the size I see them as similar backs. Both have close to the same top end speed, but Randle has better exelleration and might be better getting to the outside. I have Bell in my final mock.

LLT
04-09-2013, 03:23 AM
Spike is Ben's Mom?

Going back to the original intent of this thread, that is, No RB in the first round. I totally agree, as there is plenty of talent deeper. The question is... is there a WR that you have to take if he's there? I think if Patterson were to fall to us, it would be a no brainer. Then Vacarro. The LB position may be the shot in the dark spot where the Steelers draft a lot of them in later rounds, in hopes for a star. Man I hope Spence comes back from his injury. He was really promising.

I think you are on track with need vs talent.

I still have WR Patterson in the first...OLB Lemonier in the 2nd...and have been looking at Montee Ball or LeVeon Bell in the third.

a lot of times it takes a few years for a left tackle to get up to speed. Anyone old enought to remember John Jackson or Tunch Ilkin's first couple years in the league could tell you how inept they looked. One season,( might have been 89) Jackson gave up like 5 sacks in the first 2 games of the season. He looked like the worst left tackle in league history. From 90-94 he might have given up a total of 8 sacks combined. He became that good. Anyway I think both our young tackles have enormous potential and if you're patient you'll see they're better than anyone out there on the open market.

This