PDA

View Full Version : Amateur MMA fights

stlrtruck
04-04-2013, 06:18 PM
I don't know if any of you have had a chance to see local amateur MMA fights, I suggest that you give it a shot. There are some awesome fighters out there.

For those of you in the Tampa, FL area, I will be entering the cage for my first amateur fight on June 29th at the Hilton in downtown Tampa.

GBMelBlount
04-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Very cool ST...imagine it wouldn't be fair if you brought your pool stick...:chuckle:

Do you know much about the guy you are fighting?

http://youtu.be/ogeAHZ8RMlo

Wallace108
04-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Truck, major props if you use the Figure Four as your finisher. That would be awesome. :wink02:

Here's how I envision the scene after you win:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/1012867/ric-flair-strut-o.gif

:chuckle:

Seven
04-04-2013, 11:49 PM
I don't know if any of you have had a chance to see local amateur MMA fights, I suggest that you give it a shot. There are some awesome fighters out there.

For those of you in the Tampa, FL area, I will be entering the cage for my first amateur fight on June 29th at the Hilton in downtown Tampa.

I've been to a couple of events around the Burgh. Fighting is an awesome skill. Best of luck in June, I hope it goes well. Stay safe.

stlrtruck
04-05-2013, 08:10 AM
GB I don't know anything about the guy I'm fighting. Probably won't know until around May. Most likely someone half (or close to half) my age who has been training the same as I have (about a year). The good thing about my training is that all of my trainers are professional fighters and have a very good win-loss record.

I'm hoping to have some video of the fight afterwards.

GBMelBlount
04-05-2013, 08:25 AM
GB I don't know anything about the guy I'm fighting. Probably won't know until around May. Most likely someone half (or close to half) my age who has been training the same as I have (about a year). The good thing about my training is that all of my trainers are professional fighters and have a very good win-loss record.

I'm hoping to have some video of the fight afterwards.

Here's to hoping you won't have to edit it too much. :drink: (:chuckle:)

I cannot even tell you how much I miss the adrenaline ST...

I am just curious what you think your greatest strength(s) is and what areas you are having to work hardest at?

Conditioning is tougher I am sure...I am also wondering if you are doing much supplementation...

stlrtruck
04-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Here's to hoping you won't have to edit it too much. :drink: (:chuckle:)

I cannot even tell you how much I miss the adrenaline ST...

I am just curious what you think your greatest strength(s) is and what areas you are having to work hardest at?

Conditioning is tougher I am sure...I am also wondering if you are doing much supplementation...

I think my strength is to keep my opponent standing up and keep it a kickboxing match. I still need to improve on my grappling and jiu jitsu, with grappling being my weakest point.

Conditioning is definitely tougher and the workouts I've been doing at the regular gym are more intense than my body is use to doing. And for the next 3 months I'll be doing 2 hour sessions of training 3 days a week with additional training a few nights a week as well as the weekend.

The only supplements I do are protein shakes and protein bars (courtesy of Detour Protein).

GBMelBlount
04-05-2013, 12:07 PM
I think my strength is to keep my opponent standing up and keep it a kickboxing match. I still need to improve on my grappling and jiu jitsu, with grappling being my weakest point.

Conditioning is definitely tougher and the workouts I've been doing at the regular gym are more intense than my body is use to doing. And for the next 3 months I'll be doing 2 hour sessions of training 3 days a week with additional training a few nights a week as well as the weekend.

The only supplements I do are protein shakes and protein bars (courtesy of Detour Protein).

I guess even if you aren't a grappler you will be spending some time learning to defend takedowns and escaping.

I remember when I was working out hard with weights AND doing kenpo my body became incredibly fatigued at one point....

I can only imagine how grueling this will be especially with recovery taking so much longer as we get older.

Have you thought about getting a supp for recovery like creatine, glutamine or BCAA's. They are pretty cheap were Hindes goes.

stlrtruck
04-05-2013, 12:57 PM
I guess even if you aren't a grappler you will be spending some time learning to defend takedowns and escaping.

I remember when I was working out hard with weights AND doing kenpo my body became incredibly fatigued at one point....

I can only imagine how grueling this will be especially with recovery taking so much longer as we get older.

Have you thought about getting a supp for recovery like creatine, glutamine or BCAA's. They are pretty cheap were Hindes goes.

No I haven't thought about post recovery supps. But you're right the recovery certainly takes a bit longer than it use to. I'll have to look in to the creatine, and other stuff. I typically follow the advice of my personal trainer for that stuff, and seeing as how money is tight, it might be difficult to get some of it.

GBMelBlount
04-05-2013, 01:16 PM
I hear you. I remember when I was getting completely worn out I asked my kenpo teacher if he thought creatine would help and he said no that the power was all technique. Well, I had hit a wall of fatigue and started taking it anyway and after it kicked in he kept remarking about how much my strength improved in my punches and kicks, etc.

If I were to take only one supplement I would take creatine. It is VERY inexpensive and I haven't ever felt the benefits of a single supplement to the degree I have with creatine. However you may gain a few pounds if you tried it....I don't know if you have weight classes or not.

stlrtruck
04-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Probably not a good idea to take it if there is weight gain. I'm currently at 188 and need to get down to 170. They definitely have weight classes.

GBMelBlount
04-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Damn. Do you have much body fat?

stlrtruck
04-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Well I've lost 20lbs since Jan 7, but I'm not sure about my body fat percentage right now. Since January I've slimmed down A LOT, gained some muscle and strength but I still have a bit of a pouch.

GBMelBlount
04-05-2013, 02:35 PM
"pouch" lol.

stlrtruck
04-06-2013, 10:05 AM
"pouch" lol.

My gut looks like a mini-fanny pack right now. I've been told that it is the hardest fat to get rid of and considering I was once 240 with a spare tire hanging around - I'll take it for now.

Hindes204
04-06-2013, 10:22 AM
BCAAs are relatively cheap and great for recovery too, no weight gain like there is with creatine.

Good luck truck!!! You better have some video to share after the fight, regardless of the outcome.

GBMelBlount
04-06-2013, 11:38 AM
BCAAs are relatively cheap and great for recovery too, no weight gain like there is with creatine.

Good luck truck!!! You better have some video to share after the fight, regardless of the outcome.

That's a good point. Also, aren't there some inexpensive supplements that are recommended when you are working out hard and on a calorie deficit? I am thinking ZMA?

- - - Updated - - -

My gut looks like a mini-fanny pack right now. I've been told that it is the hardest fat to get rid of and considering I was once 240 with a spare tire hanging around - I'll take it for now.

Well, if you have lost 20 lbs in 3 months I am wondering what you are hoping to lose through calorie restriction and increasing workout over the next 2 months.

I would imagine you need to be careful about restricting calories TOO much when you are going to be working out so hard.

It may be a balancing act of sorts to get the calories you need to keep your strength AND get close enough to lose the last pounds as primarily water weight.

stlrtruck
04-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'll definitely do some research and takl to my trainer.

And yes Hindes I plan on having video, probably 2-3 weeks after the event.

Hindes204
04-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'll definitely do some research and takl to my trainer.

And yes Hindes I plan on having video, probably 2-3 weeks after the event.

Cant wait to see it!! I admire your dedication truck, I know a lot of fighters, trained with a few just for the workout, it really takes a toll on the body.

stlrtruck
06-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Well two weeks out and it looks like I won't be fighting.

The opponent who agreed to the fight has backed out. In the last 3 weeks he hasn't responded to any communications from my trainer, his trainer, or the promoter.

GBMelBlount
06-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Well two weeks out and it looks like I won't be fighting.

The opponent who agreed to the fight has backed out. In the last 3 weeks he hasn't responded to any communications from my trainer, his trainer, or the promoter.

I was just thinking about you today and wondering if you had your fight.

Well, at least your in shape for the summer....

stlrtruck
06-13-2013, 01:51 PM
I'm still going to power through this next two weeks, make my weight of 170, and at least say, "I was ready and did everything I could to be fight ready!" I'm still looking and feeling a helluva lot better than I was 6 months ago.

stlrtruck
06-20-2013, 07:49 AM
Well I've got two things going on:

1. The promoter from the June 29th fight is now trying to get me on the card for Aug 24th. So I'm looking forward to that.

2. I've also started taking some supplements from PURUS Labs (www.puruslabs.net (http://www.puruslabs.net)). I take a pre workout concoction of D-POL and CONDENSE. A scoop of each in 8 oz of water about 20 minutes before I work out.

- - - Updated - - -

And as of this morning I'm down to 175. For those not doing the math, that's 32 lbs since January.

Nadroj 20
06-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Good for you truck! Keep us posted about your fight and on the scouting report of the guy you are fighting.

stlrtruck
06-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Here's the latest 411:
-This morning I did an unofficial-official weigh-in and came in at 169.6 (met my goal fight weight of 170)
-I'm not going to take the next month and throttle off the training, and just maintain what I've done so far until after my vacation at the end of July
-I'm scheduled to fight in October at 155.

GBMelBlount
06-28-2013, 11:03 AM
How do you feel at 170?

You will be a beast at 155.

stlrtruck
06-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Feeling pretty good right now. A little fatigued, but it's the first time I've ever 'cut weight'. Now with an additional 3 months of training, I feel at 155 my trainers will have me in fantastic shape, needless to say, also, mentally prepared.

GBMelBlount
06-28-2013, 05:41 PM
For wrestling we would keep our weight about 8-10 lbs above our wrestling weight and drop the 8-10 lbs within 24-48 hours of weighins.

I would guess many people do that for MMA as well.