PDA

View Full Version : Steelers host Jarvis Jones

Spike
04-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Here we go...

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/jarvis-jones-ap-medium-251x300-e1364922973687.jpg?w=190

The Steelers are hosting former Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones on Tuesday, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette said.

The 6-foot-2, 245-pound Jones notched 28 sacks in two season with the Bulldogs. The Steelers, who pick No. 17 in Round One, released veteran outside linebacker James Harrison in March. Jason Worilds, who’s the most likely replacement for Harrison on the roster, is entering the final year of his contract.

While he’s a well-regarded prospect, Jones reportedly did not run particularly fast at Georgia’s Pro Day. What’s more, he has a neck condition said to have been discovered when he was at USC. Jones, for his part, said he’s checked out well from a medical perspective.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Prouncey53
04-02-2013, 03:06 PM
He won't make it to us. Even with the injury concerns and with the sub-par pro-day.Unless we trade up, which we won't, I can't see him making it past the Jets.

Mistah Q
04-02-2013, 03:09 PM
It wouldn't be the worst pick.

Jarvis, Vaccaro, maybe Warmack falls to us... or a trade down even could be good this year (this draft is deep but decidedly not top-loaded).

As long as we don't pick Tavon Austin at 17, I'll be good. (If we trade down 10 spots and grab him, that works)

As far as Jarvis goes, if he's there it's mighty tempting.

Count Steeler
04-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt

Going to drop Jarvis Jones out of first round. Not sure he's a first-round talent. #NFLDraft.

Mojouw
04-02-2013, 04:12 PM
I will go on record as saying that I am not a fan of taking Jarvis Jones at 17. From the information that I have been able to gather, he is a player who has reached his ceiling. I would prefer a player in the first round that has room get much better than their college performance indicates. As much as I would like a pass-rusher added to the defense, I think the value will be gone by 17. Starting to think DB is the way to go.

Texasteel
04-02-2013, 04:37 PM
I will go on record as saying that I am not a fan of taking Jarvis Jones at 17. From the information that I have been able to gather, he is a player who has reached his ceiling. I would prefer a player in the first round that has room get much better than their college performance indicates. As much as I would like a pass-rusher added to the defense, I think the value will be gone by 17. Starting to think DB is the way to go.

Are you thinking that Rhodes will be there at 17?

Mistah Q
04-02-2013, 04:39 PM
If there's consensus about that among the team front offices... then hell, trade out of the first round, into the high second. Grab him then and use our extra picks as gravy -- but I'm starting to think that 17 is about right for Jarvis.

1. Jarvis Jones
2. Manti Te'o
3. Bacarri Rambo
4. Alvin Bailey
5. Ace Sanders
6. Jake Stoneburner
7a. Aaron Tipoti
7b. Nathan Stanley

Spike
04-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Steelers don't bring just anybody in....if he's there at #17, I bet they take him

Dwinsgames
04-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Are you thinking that Rhodes will be there at 17?

he could be , I doubt it ... but it is possible ..

Trufant will be ( or should be )

and Amerson will be ( but he may be there in round 2 as well and have been pimping him to death as such ) it only takes 1 team to fall in love with a guy for him to go at any point in time and a team desperate for a play maker in the back half of the def could pull the trigger early .. If I am honest even though the value is not said to be there via internet mock drafts if we pulled the trigger on him at 17 I would not be disappointed because he is just what we need in the def secondary a play maker with ball hawk ability ( would he be over drafted at that point , probably but hell once you get past the top dozen or so picks the next 40 guys are the same guy talent wise in most cases in this draft ) so looking at it that way he is not over drafted at 17 ... many had him as the second rated CB in this draft going into 2012 season he did not fall far from that since on some boards he is still a top 5 defender

I will not be shocked if Amerson goes higher than any of us anticipate , the guy is a turnover machine ... all that being said I like him at 17 But LOVE him in the second round .. I want this kid as much or more than any prospect in the last 5 years .... and for that reason alone we will not draft him

Texasteel
04-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Can't disagree with anything you said. I think you will only hear the words "over drafted" from the so called experts that cover the draft, and a few fans. I have see players called a reach make it as all pros, and sure things out of the nfl in 2 or 3 years, or bounce around from team to team. If a team wants a kid bad enough to take him at 17 then at lest to them he is worth the pick. You have to trust your team, they will not alway make a wise pick, but they will alway make a pick for good reasons, except for a few teams that have a history of doing a bad job on draft day.

Remember I said a couple weeks ago I was getting a little worried about Amerson being there when we pick in the 2nd round.

Dwinsgames
04-02-2013, 06:27 PM
It is getting to the time of year I get a deep rooted sick feeling in the pit of my stomach , and it is starting to set in now ... all the information I have gathered , everything I have read , all the hours of film study and evaluations , watching and rewatching games fast forward / rewind .... the nerves are starting to work on me

we get a chance to get a difference maker and I worry , will they make the right choices ... or will they select guys like Essex / Zo Jackson / Couclough when so much more talent is on the board ...

I am sick already and the draft is weeks away yet

Psycho Ward 86
04-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt

Going to drop Jarvis Jones out of first round. Not sure he's a first-round talent. #NFLDraft.

WOW. well theres a shocker, especially coming from one of the only 2 respectable draft evaluators (mike mayock being the other) on nfl.com

Dwinsgames
04-02-2013, 07:13 PM
WOW. well theres a shocker, especially coming from one of the only 2 respectable draft evaluators (mike mayock being the other) on nfl.com

Gil has become to enamored in his stop watch and less with actual film ( does he fall asleep watching in his old age ? I dunno...maybe )

Shoes
04-02-2013, 07:21 PM

I don't know if it's wise to take Jones @ 17 if he's there. But it's hard for me to understand how anyone could determine that Jones reached his ceiling at 23 years old.

Psycho Ward 86
04-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Gil has become to enamored in his stop watch and less with actual film ( does he fall asleep watching in his old age ? I dunno...maybe )

lmao. very cute coming from a complete amateur to a highly respected and revolutionary evaluator of nfl talent.

Dwinsgames
04-02-2013, 07:35 PM
lmao. very cute coming from a complete amateur to a highly respected and revolutionary evaluator of nfl talent.

say what you will , but my final mock the last few years have destroyed Gil Brandt's ... that's all I need to know , the guy is 100 years old ( 80 actually ) sure he was established as a talent evaluater but when was the last time he was employed by an NFL team or even interviewed for a Job ( 1989 ) 25 years ago !!! ( he was OLD then ..... )

sure he probably has forgotten more than I will ever know about the sport , but I remember more than he does Now and now is all that matters in terms of players today ...

Gil is basing his assessment on the stop watch , otherwise he would know better .. Jones played in the toughest most talented region of College football , he put up great numbers and did so against NFL worthy talent the guys he beat on Saturdays are some of the same guys he will line up against on Sundays , those other guys will not magically be better than Jones because they made the leap to the NFL they will still be the same guys ..yes they will in many cases get better coaching but so will Jones ... he may run the 40 slower than you like but he does not play slow he plays fast ...plug in the tape ..it does not lie ...

unlike Gil I can stay awake long enough to watch it there in lies the difference

as a side note is this the same Gil Brandt that once called Aaron Curry the safest pick in the draft just a few short years ago, how did that work out again ?

SteelerFanInStl
04-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt

Based on what? I'd like to hear his reasoning.

tube517
04-02-2013, 07:38 PM
say what you will , but my final mock the last few years have destroyed Gil Brandt's ... that's all I need to know , the guy is 100 years old ( 80 actually ) sure he was established as a talent evaluater but when was the last time he was employed by an NFL team or even interviewed for a Job ( 1989 ) 25 years ago !!! ( he was OLD then ..... )

Gil Brandt is still alive? :chuckle:

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 2

Iron Steeler
04-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Not a fan of Jarvis jones. He runs to straight up. I really think we should take a good look at Desmond trufant

st33lersguy
04-02-2013, 08:24 PM
He needs to be the pick if he's available

Mistah Q
04-02-2013, 08:30 PM
I'm not a huge fan of taking Jarvis but it wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen, and I'll be cool with it when it happens.

The draft has a funny way of being a pain in the ass. I remember being pissed when we "wasted" a pick on LaMarr Woodley, and also being ecstatic when we landed Mendenhall and Sweed...

Steeltreal
04-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Not a fan of Jarvis jones. He runs to straight up. I really think we should take a good look at Desmond trufant
I second this.Ike Taylor could be next years Harrison unfortunately. If Safety is a need.drafting a Corner that doesnt need one over the top could be plan B.

Dwinsgames
04-02-2013, 11:36 PM
I second this.Ike Taylor could be next years Harrison unfortunately. If Safety is a need.drafting a Corner that doesnt need one over the top could be plan B.

I spoke of Trufant earlier in this thread ... put me down as a fan

LLT
04-03-2013, 12:51 AM
he could be , I doubt it ... but it is possible ..

Trufant will be ( or should be )

and Amerson will be ( but he may be there in round 2 as well and have been pimping him to death as such ) it only takes 1 team to fall in love with a guy for him to go at any point in time and a team desperate for a play maker in the back half of the def could pull the trigger early .. If I am honest even though the value is not said to be there via internet mock drafts if we pulled the trigger on him at 17 I would not be disappointed because he is just what we need in the def secondary a play maker with ball hawk ability ( would he be over drafted at that point , probably but hell once you get past the top dozen or so picks the next 40 guys are the same guy talent wise in most cases in this draft ) so looking at it that way he is not over drafted at 17 ... many had him as the second rated CB in this draft going into 2012 season he did not fall far from that since on some boards he is still a top 5 defender

I will not be shocked if Amerson goes higher than any of us anticipate , the guy is a turnover machine ... all that being said I like him at 17 But LOVE him in the second round .. I want this kid as much or more than any prospect in the last 5 years .... and for that reason alone we will not draft him

Where Amerson ranks couldnt be worse for us. I can see a team like the Patriots taking him at the end of the first...or scooped up in the beginning of the 2nd. Barring a trade of some sort, he is probably not going to be there for us in the second round.

That being said....Trufant is a possiblity at #17.

Mojouw
04-03-2013, 09:15 AM
I don't know if it's wise to take Jones @ 17 if he's there. But it's hard for me to understand how anyone could determine that Jones reached his ceiling at 23 years old.

I have read a few negative scouting reports -- and I want to stress that I am not in the same category as the posters on here that make their own film study evaluations and draft boards -- I'm just a guy who tries to read a bunch of sources of information. Basically there are a few talent evaluators out there that believe that due to Jones' lack of explosion and what not that he is as fast as he is going to get, lacks a true array of "pass rush moves" and may struggle to get after the QB against NFL left tackles. I've also read that he plays with little leverage and does not always fight through blocks in pursuit. Is any of this true? I have no idea.

I do know that the prospects that are being discussed as potentially elite rush linebacker prospects are likely to be drafted well before the Steelers pick. What I have not seen is some of the corner and safety prospects that are spoken of in glowing terms being mocked ahead of the Steelers. Hence my comment that maybe they go DB in the first round. Get the next impact DB and figure out the LB position later...

Again...what do I really know? My thing about the draft is value for the pick. I hate when a team (especially the Steelers) fixates on a position and a draft round combination while ignoring the value on the board.

Dwinsgames
04-03-2013, 10:38 AM
the thing is guys like Jordan and Ansah are being hyped to no end and neither of them have had the amount of success as Jarvis Jones at the collegiate level and Jones played against more elite competition in the SEC ...both Jordan and Ansah have been pegged as potential OLB in the 3-4 ( jordan gets more hype than Ansah even though they are so similar and IMO Ansah has more upside because he is still learning to play the game and accrued his statistically nearly identical numbers with far less exp and did so on athletic ability alone ) I love Ansahs upside but it comes with a risk since the jump is so great to the pro level with such little exp , he will need to be brought along slowly and used situationalley for awhile IMO

Jones 28 sacks in the last 2 seasons ( almost double of what Jordan and Ansah did combined for their college careers proves he knows how to get to the passer ) and Jones did so in a more dominate division of College football ... Jones does not play slow ( watch him on youtube ) , his 40 time was not all that but as I said before he will not be running 40 yards chasing a QB just across the LOS from him ... how well a guy runs the 40 does not reflect on guys who play in a box like it does guys who are running the field ( CB, S, WR , RB, TE and to some degree ILB ) inside backers need to be a little better IMO than OLB because of their TE responsibilities ...

People put to much emphasis on 40 times , guys who can play ....can play ...

Trust me I am not advocating picking Jones at 17 , his medical reports scare the hell out of me , But I am no Dr. and I have not seen the reports I just know what everyone else does and that is what has been reported ( and that is sketchy because the reports are all over the place in terms of his health moving forward ) If he clears Medical you got to take him if he is there , if he does not clear the medical ( and we have spent time with him ) you take him off your board or at the very least drop him down to a better risk /reward spot ...

Track Athletes run great 40 times , football players make great plays , rarely do you have great football players who are great Track athletes or they all would be Olympians and we can count on 1 hand Olympians who have made an impact in the NFL ..Jones is a Football Player

Texasteel
04-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Again...what do I really know? My thing about the draft is value for the pick. I hate when a team (especially the Steelers) fixates on a position and a draft round combination while ignoring the value on the board.

What do you know? As much as any of us. At this point most of us have already made up our minds, and as hard headed as I am it takes a revolation to change my mind. Since our jobs are not on the line its easy to let personal preferance creep into our thinking........... Using what you said I would like to put out a couple of paths we might take.

1- Jarvis Jones OLB. Jarvis has played at a high level in a major conferance for two years. He has played against OTs that very likely will be playing at the pro level next year or the year after, and has be consistant in his preformance. I think he is pretty quick on the edge, and looked to me to cover the ground between him and the QB, or RB quickly. I think that some time we can over think a draft pick. I have see scouts latch onto something and pick it to death, talking themselves out of a very good player. On tape, Jarvis is an impact play that is worth the 17th pick,,,,, if health. A play maker.

2- David Amerson, CB/S. The young man is a fast ball hawk. He is fast enough and big enough, and physical enough to cover just about an recever. He tackle well, and hard, and seem to like the contact. I could be wrong, but right now I thing he will likely be there for us in the 2nd,,,,,, hopefuly. I just love this kid, and like Dwins stated before would not be broken hearted if we took him in the first round. A play maker.

1- Desmond Trufant or David Amerson, CBs Both are quick, with good coverage skills. Trufant may be a little better in man to man, Amerson may be better in run support. Trufant has a blood line in the nfl with 2 brothers already playing, I've heard it stated that Desmond may be the best of the 3. Amerson looks to me to be more physical, with a stronger built body. They are play makers.

2- Jamie Collins, OLB. Jamie has good size and speed, and has shown the ability to be that pass rusher that we all want. Some think he can be a little inconsistant. I haven't heard a lot of talk about Collins, but I personally think he would look good in black and gold. A play maker.

IMO, either of these would give us a great 2 round draft.

Mojouw
04-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Here is some of the negatives I have seen on Jones:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=41114

From The Huddle Report --
"He is stout against the run, but never fights through a double team. Does he have the explosion to come off the line and make a sack? Yes, unless he gets blocked. Does he have the speed to run plays down from behind? Yes, when he feels like it. Can he cover tight ends one-on-one and have the recovery speed when he gets beat? Yes, but most of the time he doesn't bother."

These negatives may be picking nits...plus the internet seems about as solid at identifying pass-rushers as it does quarterbacks. My thing is that in the past when the Steelers have been in this position in the first round they have come away with guys like Pouncey, Timmons, Polamalu, Roethlisberger, Hampton, etc. I realize that it is perhaps unrealistic to expect a franchise cornerstone every time you draft above 20 or so, but look at that list...how sure are we that Jarvis Jones fits in?

Hopefully, the Steelers will rarely be drafting this high....so get the best player at a position, rather than a consolation prize after a run on edge rushers has already happened with the first 12 picks in the draft.

Texasteel
04-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Where Amerson ranks couldnt be worse for us. I can see a team like the Patriots taking him at the end of the first...or scooped up in the beginning of the 2nd. Barring a trade of some sort, he is probably not going to be there for us in the second round.

That being said....Trufant is a possiblity at #17.

Thanks for bringing up the Patriots buddy. I can still remember them doing this to us not long ago with another CB we both wanted. I still get heart burn thinking about that. It would be just like the pantywaists to do this just to piss me off.

Dwinsgames
04-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Here is some of the negatives I have seen on Jones:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=41114

From The Huddle Report --
"He is stout against the run, but never fights through a double team. Does he have the explosion to come off the line and make a sack? Yes, unless he gets blocked. Does he have the speed to run plays down from behind? Yes, when he feels like it. Can he cover tight ends one-on-one and have the recovery speed when he gets beat? Yes, but most of the time he doesn't bother."

These negatives may be picking nits...plus the internet seems about as solid at identifying pass-rushers as it does quarterbacks. My thing is that in the past when the Steelers have been in this position in the first round they have come away with guys like Pouncey, Timmons, Polamalu, Roethlisberger, Hampton, etc. I realize that it is perhaps unrealistic to expect a franchise cornerstone every time you draft above 20 or so, but look at that list...how sure are we that Jarvis Jones fits in?

Hopefully, the Steelers will rarely be drafting this high....so get the best player at a position, rather than a consolation prize after a run on edge rushers has already happened with the first 12 picks in the draft.

Jones is no consolation prize if healthy he is the best of the best in this years crop , Timmons was a consolation prize ( remember who the real prize was that year Patrick Willis ) Timmons was full of question marks , he had 1 highly productive season under his belt and not much beyond that .... Willis was the man everyone coveted in Steeler Nation

Dion Jordan 14.5 career sacks ... considered a top 10 pick
Ziggy Ansah 4.5 career sacks .... considered a top 10 pick
Mingo 15 career sacks .... considered a top 10 pick ( and if you want to talk question marks this kid is just 240 pounds and gonna have to face LT's all day long )
Jones 28 career sacks .... if there at 17 and healthy only a fool would not take him IMO

Spike
04-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Dion Jordan 14.5 career sacks ... considered a top 10 pick
Ziggy Ansah 4.5 career sacks .... considered a top 10 pick
Mingo 15 career sacks .... considered a top 10 pick ( and if you want to talk question marks this kid is just 240 pounds and gonna have to face LT's all day long )
Jones 28 career sacks .... if there at 17 and healthy only a fool would not take him IMO

ker-pow

nicely done

personally, I don't trust the Steelers drafting anything other than OL in the 1st rd, they have been pretty hit and miss on other positions lately

Texasteel
04-03-2013, 12:11 PM
In Jones 1st year at Georgia he had 13.5 sacks, 19.5 TFL, 70 TT. Hes 2nd year, 14.5 sacks, 24.5 TFL, and forced 7 fumbles. These are not just stats, they are production. Jones simply plays in the offences backfield, which is what we want Harrisons possition to do. I remember that at the begining of the year a lot of these same writers had Jones rated at the best D-player in the nation, if not the best player in the nation. When you are talking about kids that have never played in the nfl there is no sure thing, but watching Jones play, and seeing his production over the last 2 years, if Jones is healthy, and is still there at 17, I would take him.

Mojouw
04-03-2013, 01:35 PM
You guys are starting to sway me on Jones. I get the production thing...but he played at Alabama. Some of us could likely make some plays against outmatched competition on that team. They are crazy loaded every year. Hope he is as good as everyone here seems to think.

One other draft question...what can anyone tell me about Aaron Dobson WR Marshall? Could he be there in the the 3rd or 4th round?

BlastFurnace
04-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Again though...what if Wordlis blows up this year..which is entirely possible. Provided they sign him, we have Jarvis sitting for 3 years behind Wordlis and Woodley.

We have no-one...absolutely nothing...behind Polamalu and Clark at Safety either as a backup or as the future. I hope they pick a Safety in the first round because once Troy gets hurt again this year, they are in big trouble.

Dwinsgames
04-03-2013, 01:59 PM
You guys are starting to sway me on Jones. I get the production thing...but he played at Alabama. Some of us could likely make some plays against outmatched competition on that team. They are crazy loaded every year. Hope he is as good as everyone here seems to think.

One other draft question...what can anyone tell me about Aaron Dobson WR Marshall? Could he be there in the the 3rd or 4th round?

everything you need to know about Dobson is in this short little video doubt he makes it to the 4th but the 3rd is possible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YCdFFFAxLz0

Texasteel
04-03-2013, 02:56 PM

Don't really mean to sway you bud, like I said, your oppinion is just as valuable as anyones. Just trying to put out my point of view.

Great video of Dobson, but the more impressive thing is that he is not the kind of WR that will make a catch like that then drops the next ball that hits him in the chest. Polished route runner that has more speed than you would expect from a 6'3", 210 lb WR,,,, with long arms. There were reports last year that he ran a low 4.3/40, and I think he ran in the low 4.4s at his pro day. Dobson is one of the reasons some of us don't really want a WR in the 1st round. There just doesn't seem to be that much of a drop off in 1 to 15. After King I think you see a little bit more of a drop off. A little bit worried about Dobson making it to us in the 3rd, but like I said, there are a lot of very talented WRs, so he could.

Mojouw
04-03-2013, 04:05 PM
everything you need to know about Dobson is in this short little video doubt he makes it to the 4th but the 3rd is possible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YCdFFFAxLz0

So, he is tall, strong, has ridiculous hands/concentration, 4.4 and change in the 40...what is not to like? Seems to be the type of WR that the Steelers are lacking in.

Dwinsgames
04-03-2013, 05:24 PM
So, he is tall, strong, has ridiculous hands/concentration, 4.4 and change in the 40...what is not to like? Seems to be the type of WR that the Steelers are lacking in.

The biggest knock I can see is he is more of a strider ( Think Plaxico ) when running and MIGHT struggle against NFL competition at getting off the LOS in press coverage ... that is MIGHT , not that he will ... we just do not know yet , its not like he has worked vs NFL quality DBs on a weekly basis for us to get a better feel for what he can and can not do .... His production was not off the charts either ( at a lower level of competition ) that being said he did Not have a guy like Ben throwing him the ball either ... so for every minus you can come up with you can also get a little bit of a positive out of it as well .. I like him as a prospect and like him even more if he was not a guy who would have to step in day 1 and be a starter and we have enough guys to rotate in and out to make is a slower transition and year two he could be ready to be a full time starter if we snag him up .. I think he will make it into round 3 , just how far into it is anyone's guess Like Texas stated lots of really good WRs in this draft , just not any outstanding ones

steel9guy
04-03-2013, 09:27 PM
I like Jarvis Jones but I don't think the Steelers will get him. I think this team will look elsewhere even though I really want an OLB first round.