PDA

View Full Version : Democrats push for $10K fine for gun owners without liability insurance

Mach1
04-02-2013, 11:22 AM
A group of congressional Democrats has signed on to new legislation that would mandate liability insurance for all gun owners in the United States — and fine those who refuse to purchase it as much as $10,000.

The Daily Caller reports that New York Rep. Carolyn Maloney’s Firearm Risk Protection Act says that all gun buyers — before they buy — purchase and show proof of “a qualified liability insurance policy,” and that those caught owning a weapon without the insurance are subject to harsh fin

“It shall be unlawful for a person who owns a firearm purchased on or after the effective date of this subsection not to be covered by a qualified liability insurance policy,” the text of the bill states.

Ms. Maloney says her bill would shift the cost of gun violence back onto those who own the weapon. Gun rights groups call that logic ridiculous, however.

“[The bill] is ridiculous on its face, as it presumes law-abiding gun owners are guilty for merely exercising a fundamental, constitutional right,” said Chris Cox, the executive director of the NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action, to The Daily Caller.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/apr/2/democrats-push-10k-fine-gun-owners-without-liabili/#ixzz2PK7xWmaf
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Because responsible guns owners are the real problem.

NJarhead
04-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Because responsible guns owners are the real problem.

I doubt it'll get the support it will need to pass. It's about a dumb an idea as they've had.

Dwinsgames
04-02-2013, 12:45 PM
they can try and collect their fine the same way they can try and collect my guns ...

I am a responsible gun owner , but I will not be responsible for their stupidity .. the onus is on them for that

Seven
04-02-2013, 12:52 PM
1. Not gonna pass.

2. No one would abide if it did.

3. I thought new gun laws were about saving lives? If that's really the goal this does nothing.

43Hitman
04-02-2013, 12:55 PM
You can't fix stupid.

Dwinsgames
04-02-2013, 12:57 PM
this will work because clearly all the people that are not supposed to have gun to begin with will surely conform to this proposed legislation and get insurance for their illegal guns

Godfather
04-02-2013, 07:10 PM
It's about a dumb an idea as they've had.

Almost as dumb as forcing people to buy health insurance...

GoSlash27
04-03-2013, 06:26 AM
As was pointed out, this won't pass.

But when the interest on the debt starts crowding out their beloved social programs, they'll be desperate for any kind of money from anywhere and they'll take another look at this.

Mach1
04-03-2013, 11:05 AM
They'd get far more revenue from legalizing pot and taxing it. But they would rather punish law abiding citizens.