PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Regular Season Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

steelerdude15
04-01-2013, 09:29 PM
This will be the thread where we post about the regular season.

As for the game today, it sucked that the offense couldn't do anything to help out A.J. He struck out ten and other than a few bad pitches here and there, he was really good. It was nice to see the Pirates fight in the bottom of the ninth with a RBI from Pedro and a steal from Cutch that moved him into scoring position. However, the offense was bad the entire game, but the defense played well. I hope the Pirates will win Wednesday night and with that in mind, Wandy will be starting.

steelerdude15
04-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Pirates notebook: Payroll ranks 20th in the majors

According to data obtained by USA Today, the Pirates have a $79.55 million Opening Day payroll — which ranks 20th out of 30 big league teams. However, when portions of salaries that will be paid by other clubs are included, the recalculated total is $66.05 million.

At the end of last season, the payroll for the Pirates' 40-man roster was $61.4 million.

• Tuesday, utility infielder Brandon Inge will begin a rehab assignment with Triple-A Indianapolis. Inge is on the 15-day disabled list due to a fractured right shoulder blade, which he sustained when he was hit by a pitch in a spring training game March 14. He tried to play through it for a handful of games, but the pain was too intense. “I wanted to try to show them what I could do, but it was just too much,” Inge said Monday. On March 21, general manager Neal Huntington said Inge's X-ray results were “normal” and the Pirates never revealed the extent of Inge's injury.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/3747426-74/inge-pirates-morton#ixzz2PGpwhOLp

Interesting article to read. It seems that each year, more money is being spent on the players... I guess we'll see what happens this season.

Hindes204
04-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Opening day, got my Pirates hat out, it will stay out all season regardless of the outcome. As miserable as these bastards have made me over the past 20 years, I'm still with em, all the way till the end.........

X-Terminator
04-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Yeah, it's good that Nutting is making more money available, so now the problem shifts to the guy spending that money. I still can't figure out how Neal Huntington still has a job.

SCSTILLER
04-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Opening day, got my Pirates hat out, it will stay out all season regardless of the outcome. As miserable as these bastards have made me over the past 20 years, I'm still with em, all the way till the end.........

Same here, actually I wear my Pirates hat year round. When the Pirates aren't in season it is to show my Pittsburgh roots, when they are playing it is to prove that I am not a fair weather fan. When hockey season is on I switch back and forth between my Pirates hat and Penguins hat.

Hopefully, hopefully, this year there is no post All-Star game collapse!

Boh
04-02-2013, 11:29 AM
when they are playing it is to prove that I am not a fair weather fan.

Good man. I wear my O's hats through the 12 year drought, and last year while in Philadelphia in the fall I was called fair weather for wearing my cap. Philly fans still butthurt over the 83 world series.

SCSTILLER
04-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Good man. I wear my O's hats through the 12 year drought, and last year while in Philadelphia in the fall I was called fair weather for wearing my cap. Philly fans still butthurt over the 83 world series.

I expect nothing less from Philly fans. There is not one thing I like about Philly fans.

Boh
04-03-2013, 12:35 AM
O's sure looked good today. Home opener friday, got tickets for saturday.

X-Terminator
04-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Bucs get their first W of the season tonight. Great game from Wandy Rodriguez.

salamander
04-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Nice win by the Buccos today.

steelerdude15
04-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Good win by the Pirates tonight.

Boh
04-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Tough loss for Bucs today.

O's take 2 of 3 in Tampa. Sports Holiday in Baltimore Tomorrow

steeldawg
04-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Tough loss for Bucs today.

O's take 2 of 3 in Tampa. Sports Holiday in Baltimore Tomorrow

What are you guys feeding chris davis in baltimore?

Count Steeler
04-04-2013, 07:39 PM

Raven pie.

zulater
04-04-2013, 08:11 PM
I feel as if the Pirates are being held hostage by their current ownership group.

X-Terminator
04-04-2013, 09:31 PM
I feel as if the Pirates are being held hostage by their current ownership group.

Ownership isn't the problem. Nutting is finally starting to make more money available - their payroll is over $75 million this season. It's management that's the problem, meaning Huntington and Coonelly. They are really holding the franchise back with their terrible talent evaluation, acquisitions and development. I guess you can blame Nutting for signing off on it, but he puts a lot of trust - maybe too much trust - in management to make the baseball decisions. It's similar to how the Rooneys and Lemieux/Burkle leave the football and hockey decisions to management. Huntington and Coonelly should have been fired after last season's collapse, but instead, he gave them and Hurdle one more year. If they fail hard again this season, I think Nutting will clean house, because he was pissed after last season and didn't exactly give them a strong vote of confidence before this season began.

Boh
04-04-2013, 09:46 PM

LOL. I was going to bring that up myself, but figured its the pirates thread.

Chris Davis. 3 Games, 11 RBI's , 3 Home runs, 3 Doubles.

o, BTW, 10 homers in his last 10 games, dating back from last season

steelerdude15
04-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Ownership isn't the problem. Nutting is finally starting to make more money available - their payroll is over $75 million this season. It's management that's the problem, meaning Huntington and Coonelly. They are really holding the franchise back with their terrible talent evaluation, acquisitions and development. I guess you can blame Nutting for signing off on it, but he puts a lot of trust - maybe too much trust - in management to make the baseball decisions. It's similar to how the Rooneys and Lemieux/Burkle leave the football and hockey decisions to management. Huntington and Coonelly should have been fired after last season's collapse, but instead, he gave them and Hurdle one more year. If they fail hard again this season, I think Nutting will clean house, because he was pissed after last season and didn't exactly give them a strong vote of confidence before this season began.

Here is a really interesting article by the Trib about Nutting:

Ex-Pirates owner Lustig: Nutting ‘too rational’

One of the Pirates' former silent partners is speaking out.

A minority owner for nearly two decades before relinquishing his share last fall, Jay Lustig credited principal owner Bob Nutting for cleaning up the franchise's finances but said he is too “rational” to turn the club into a consistent winner.

“If you are a small-market franchise, if you want to win, you have to be willing to lose ... money,” said Lustig, 58, a Rostraver money manager and businessman who also is board chairman of Adfitech Inc. “(Nutting's) problem is he is a rational owner in an irrational business.

“People say he is a cheap owner, but nothing is further from the truth. He allocates the money properly. He wants to make enough money to keep us from going into the red. He is running the business rationally, trying to make money. No small-market teams that win make money.”

Nutting said Tuesday night that he likes and respects Lustig.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/3769786-74/lustig-nutting-money#ixzz2PYVEslwg

steelerdude15
04-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Anyways, it seems that the Pirates pitching has been excellent by our starters and bullpen. Its just that in the two games they've lost, there has been barely any offense. They had rallies in both the first and third games, but came up short in both games. Then, looking at the second game against the Cubs, they had offense. I really hope Marte can turn into the hitter he is predicted to become. That would be a huge boost for this team. That would be great if we could have two All Star outfielders.

I also agree about management causing a lot of the problems. Huntington is the one who is signing and bringing in all these free agents who well, aren't great at hitting. Barmes was brought in soley for his defense, Barajas wasn't that great to begin with and got worse throughout last year, and lets not bring up the disaster of Akinori Iwamura in 2010. The two best pick ups by far were A.J. and Wandy. Also, I bet Gerrit Cole is going to be a beast when he comes up. So, Huntington has made some good decisions, but I feel has made more bad decisions since he's been GM. I want everyone to remember, Huntington DID NOT draft Cutch and Walker.

Boh
04-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Chris Davis just hit a grand slam, 4 homers in 4 games. 16 RBI's. not a bad start :yup:

making history

steelpride12
04-06-2013, 09:11 AM
1-3 sigh. I know the offense will pick up and they're playing a championship contending Dodgers team, but ouch. 6 runs in 4 games.

Hindes204
04-06-2013, 10:24 AM
The offense is playing terrible, 6 runs in 4 games isn't going to get you anywhere

steelpride12
04-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Pirates are about 3 innings away from being 1-5. Well at least they won't get our hopes up early this season.

X-Terminator
04-07-2013, 05:45 PM
To be honest, they started 3-7 last season and weren't good offensively. But this season has been far, FAR worse than at any point during their worst offense stretch last season. With their difficult schedule, it's entirely possible they don't win more than 3 or 4 games this month if they don't get their offense going.

Craic
04-07-2013, 06:02 PM
To be honest, they started 3-7 last season and weren't good offensively. But this season has been far, FAR worse than at any point during their worst offense stretch last season. With their difficult schedule, it's entirely possible they don't win more than 3 or 4 games this month if they don't get their offense going.

:rofl:

This is what I get for clicking on a link at the bottom of the page and not checking what forum it's in first.

Me---> What are you talking about X-term? The Steelers didn't start out 3-7, and they were pretty decent offensively! And what do you mean THIS SEASON? It hasn't started yet!!!

Then I decided to look at the top of the page and double-check the subforum. :doh:

salamander
04-07-2013, 06:06 PM
:rofl:

This is what I get for clicking on a link at the bottom of the page and not checking what forum it's in first.

Me---> What are you talking about X-term? The Steelers didn't start out 3-7, and they were pretty decent offensively! And what do you mean THIS SEASON? It hasn't started yet!!!

Then I decided to look at the top of the page and double-check the subforum. :doh:

Good job. :chuckle:

steelerdude15
04-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Well, tonight is the beginning of their series with the D-backs. I really hope they can get a win tonight. The pitcher they're starting against tonight had a bad start, so lets hope the Pirates can get some hits and score tonight.

steelerdude15
04-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Nice to see the Pirates win their first series of the year, even though they were completely blown out this afternoon. I don't know if anyone has been paying attention, but Marte is killing it so far this year. It would be amazing if he can be the outfielder that the Pirates want him to become. Just imagine if Cutch and Marte both hit over .300 this year and were amazing in the outfield. That would be fantastic!

X-Terminator
04-11-2013, 02:38 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how Jonathan Sanchez made the rotation, but Gerrit Cole didn't.

Oh yeah...Neal Huntington made that decision.

Nevermind.

steelerdude15
04-11-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how Jonathan Sanchez made the rotation, but Gerrit Cole didn't.

Oh yeah...Neal Huntington made that decision.

Nevermind.

I remember that Gerrit was really upset when he found out he wasn't going to make it. I'm sure he will be on the team sometime this season.

Count Steeler
04-14-2013, 06:36 PM
Wow! What a win by the Bucs today. They were down 5-0 when I left my TV. Now I see they won 10-7.

Could this be the year? I know, it's early and all, but, ya gotta hope!

X-Terminator
04-14-2013, 07:01 PM
It's April 14. Can't get excited over a series win this early in the season, sorry. If they win their 82nd game, then I'll get excited.

stillers4me
04-14-2013, 07:03 PM
It always makes my day a little brighter to see my coworkers all poopy....... :lol:

Count Steeler
04-14-2013, 07:34 PM
It always makes my day a little brighter to see my coworkers all poopy....... :lol:

Bucs rained on the Reds parade. Harrison is about to rain on your parade. Hope he has hit the age cliff and the Bengals pay for signing him.

- - - Updated - - -

It's April 14. Can't get excited over a series win this early in the season, sorry. If they win their 82nd game, then I'll get excited.

I hear ya. But you got to take the highs when you can. This is the kind of win that can define a season. Even in April.

steelerdude15
04-14-2013, 10:48 PM
Glad to see the Pirate sweep the Reds. It was awesome to see them losing by five and then come back to win it. Great job Bucs!

oneforthetoe
04-15-2013, 01:10 AM
Great game. Now if they can just do this in August.

steeldevil
04-15-2013, 07:18 AM
Series starts today between my cards and ya'lls pirates.

steelerdude15
04-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Pirates notebook: Allie, Bell begin to shine in minors

Two minor leaguers who battled some adversity early in their professional careers are finding a bit of success in Class A West Virginia.

Stetson Allie, originally a pitching prospect the Pirates converted to a hitter last season, is hitting .396 with five home runs through the first 10 games of the season, and Josh Bell, who missed most of last season with a torn meniscus, has seven doubles and is slugging .537 through nine games.

"They've both shown the ability to recognize good breaking balls," general manager Neal Huntington said. "They're still chasing some -- major league hitters chase some. But they're also showing the ability to recognize and lay off."

Read More:http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/pirates-notebook-allie-bell-begin-to-shine-in-minors-683492/

When the Power come to play the Shorebirds this summer, I'll be there to watch them. Especially Allie and Bell. I'm looking forward to it.

X-Terminator
04-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Don't get too excited, but the Pirates just took 3 of 4 from what was the best team in baseball coming in, the Braves, and finished 7-2 this homestand. Now they get to face Hamels, Halladay and Lee. 3 straight losses to bring them back down to earth.

Hindes204
04-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Don't get too excited, but the Pirates just took 3 of 4 from what was the best team in baseball coming in, the Braves, and finished 7-2 this homestand. Now they get to face Hamels, Halladay and Lee. 3 straight losses to bring them back down to earth.

haha....I can always count on you for the ultimate pirate pessimism, lol.

steelerdude15
04-21-2013, 06:58 PM

Well, I wouldn't be too sure of that. The Phillies are struggling so far this season and an article from the Post Gazette highlighted the Phillies' pitching woes this season. I think the Pirates have a good chance of taking this series:

On the Pirates: The tools of wisdom

Looking ahead: Phillies

After finishing four games against the team with the majors' best pitching staff, the Pirates play four games against the team with one of the worst.

They enter a road series with the Philadelphia Phillies, who ranked 28th in the majors in team ERA with a 4.84 mark entering the weekend, Monday at Citizens Bank Park.

Part of the inflated ERA resulted from the outings of Roy Halladay, the 35-year-old two-time Cy Young winner who had a 7.63 ERA through three starts. Lefty Cole Hamels, who had a 3.05 ERA and struck out a batter per inning last season, had a 6.46 ERA entering the weekend.

The combination of their pitching staff and 3.44 runs per game, which ranked 14th in the National League, gave them a 6-10 record entering the weekend.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/on-the-pirates-the-tools-of-wisdom-684398/#ixzz2R95InoHe

steelerdude15
04-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Nice to see the Pirates come from behind and not only win the game, but win the series as well!

Hindes204
04-24-2013, 10:06 PM

you were saying.......

X-Terminator
04-24-2013, 11:23 PM
Nice to see the Pirates come from behind and not only win the game, but win the series as well!

It's a 4-game series - one left tomorrow afternoon. But they did give themselves a split, which is good considering who they've been up against.

you were saying.......

I will happily admit I was wrong. This is starting to become a team I can get behind. Still some things to work on, but so far, so good.

steelerdude15
04-25-2013, 07:37 PM
It's a 4-game series - one left tomorrow afternoon. But they did give themselves a split, which is good considering who they've been up against.

I will happily admit I was wrong. This is starting to become a team I can get behind. Still some things to work on, but so far, so good.

I didn't realize it till I got a text alert about the game. :chuckle: On that note, they had a great comeback win today!

steelerdude15
04-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Excellent win by the Bucs today!!! It was nice to see a shut out, but they really did the Cards in today. Also, it was nice to see the Pirates come back and win it last night as well. That is the third straight series the Pirates have won which is fantastic. Hopefully Cutch can start to warm up. Off to play the Brewers.

Borski
04-29-2013, 07:06 AM
Bucs are playing excellent so far, but now we head into Milwaukee who have completely owned us in their ballpark in recent years. Hopefully we can turn that around this season.
Lets Go Bucs!
:jolly:

steelerdude15
04-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Bucs are playing excellent so far, but now we head into Milwaukee who have completely owned us in their ballpark in recent years. Hopefully we can turn that around this season.
Lets Go Bucs!
:jolly:

That is true. Hopefully Cutch can wake up batting wise in this series. It would be a perfect time for him to starting warming up.

Hindes204
04-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Things started well, 1-0 in the top of the first. The wheels seem to be coming off quickly though, 3-1 in the bottom with only one out

- - - Updated - - -

Icouldnt type fast enough I guess, 5-1 now

Edman
04-30-2013, 11:05 PM
First time paying attention to baseball season. I check up the standings and the Bucs are 0.5 back of 1st place. They're doing it again.

Not getting fooled THIS time.

Hindes204
05-01-2013, 06:29 PM
They gutted out a win today...it's been quite the home run derby the past few games

steelerdude15
05-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Well, I'm glad the Pirates weren't swept. That is a nice feeling and it was good to see them win today. Back home to face the Nats.

steelerdude15
05-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Pirates notebook: Liriano could make first start Saturday

Francisco Liriano made what could be his final rehabilitation start Sunday as he prepares to join the Pirates for the first time this weekend.

Liriano started for Class AAA Indianapolis and threw 98 pitches in five innings, allowing four runs on seven hits. He gave up one home run, walked one and struck out six.

Liriano is on track to start Saturday against the Mets in New York, which because of a scheduled day off today is the next time the Pirates need a fifth starter. A broken right humerus (upper arm) sustained in the winter kept him from participating fully in spring training.

"You're looking to get the guy built up," general manager Neal Huntington said Sunday before Liriano's start. "It's how you condition those guys to take those workloads."

Liriano will take Jonathan Sanchez's spot in the Pirates rotation. He is on the 40-man roster, but the team will have to make a corresponding move this weekend to add him to the active roster. The Pirates hoped Liriano could surpass 90 pitches, which would indicate his readiness to start.

"Eighty pitches at the major league level is very different from 100 pitches at [Class AAA], and that's why we want these guys stretched out," Huntington said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/pirates-notebook-liriano-could-make-first-start-saturday-686485/#ixzz2SX3UImkz

I have a really bad feeling about Liriano becoming a starting pitcher and I think he won't do well. I also hope that Karstens can come back soon and he doesn't deserve to be in the bullpen.

steelerdude15
05-13-2013, 08:30 PM
It was great to see the Pirates have a great series against the Mets. If I remember correctly, they struck out the Mets' hitters twenty eight times. Cutch is getting better hitting wise and so is Jones. Plus, it seems people are starting to get healthy. I hope Martin's neck stiffness can go away. Too bad they're losing to the Brewers right now.

Hindes204
05-14-2013, 06:57 AM
The Brewers suck..........just not against us

steelerdude15
05-19-2013, 09:03 AM
The Brewers suck..........just not against us

Luckily we won the series against them. I'm glad they did, the Brewers are the one team in baseball that I can't stand losing to.

steelerdude15
05-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Going... going... gone: Forbes Field arches come down

Forbes Field - or at least a replica of it - has fallen again in Oakland. Three arches resembling the famous ballpark's main gate were dismantled in stages over the past two weeks.

Instructors and apprentices with the Greater Pennsylvania Regional Council of Carpenters built the 38- by 12-foot wooden structure in spring 2006 for a celebration marking the restoration of a section of brick wall left standing when Forbes was torn down in the early 1970s. The brick wall was rededicated in time for Major League Baseball's All-Star Game at PNC Park in 2006.

Intended to be temporary, the arches were built from dimensional pine lumber and MDO, a heavy grade of outdoor plywood, but without flashing or pressure-treated wood. As a result, they had begun to rot and one section had broken free from a tree it was attached to. The structure was leaning and might fall on cars parked nearby, said Jim Griffin, director of facilities for the Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/life/home/going-going-gone-forbes-field-arches-come-down-688141/#ixzz2TkW6kNsc

I'm glad I was able to see the new arches a few years ago. Its a shame their tearing them down. They should have built it for longevity.

steelerdude15
05-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Very touching story in the PG about Snider:

Pirates' Snider endures off the field

Throughout a 162-game season, even the best baseball players deal with a lot of loss. And as the stakes grow higher, so does the impact of those defeats.

There are hard losses. Painful losses. Devastating losses.

Travis Snider knows too well the meaning of all three. And they have nothing to do with any game he has played on a field.

His mother, Patty, died in a car accident when Snider was 19. In the two years before that, Snider grieved over the death of two grandparents, who played a vital role in his childhood. In the past few years, Snider has coped with the deaths of a summer league baseball coach, a family friend and two high school football teammates.

"Him having to go through things, with my mom passing away, it's forced him to grow up and realize what loss is," said Snider's sister, Megan Hull. "He's the most mature 25-year-old I know."

Through it all, Snider has gained a sense of perspective that even those who have played the game for more than a decade hope to grasp. And it has allowed him to enjoy his successes and embrace each moment, though he needed a lot of support to find that acceptance.

"Nobody understands death," Snider's father, Denne Snider, said. "Especially if it's an early death."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/pirates-snider-endures-off-the-field-688468/#ixzz2TybCYm8H

steelerdude15
05-28-2013, 10:52 PM
Looks like I'm the only one keeping this thread alive...

Great win by the Pirates tonight. Great job by Walker for hitting the home run to win the game.

X-Terminator
05-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Looks like I'm the only one keeping this thread alive...

Great win by the Pirates tonight. Great job by Walker for hitting the home run to win the game.

It's just that nobody's fooled by the Pirates' hot start, so there won't be much play in this thread. They're just waiting for the inevitable collapse, though personally I'm not looking at it that way. There's something different about this team than the past 2 seasons that it's not a guarantee that there will be a 3rd straight collapse. They have a lot more depth that should keep that from happening.

Mistah Q
05-29-2013, 01:03 AM
Still got my Andy Van Slyke jersey... too bad I got it when I was 7. Thing won't fit :(

Hindes204
05-29-2013, 10:31 AM
It's just that nobody's fooled by the Pirates' hot start, so there won't be much play in this thread. They're just waiting for the inevitable collapse, though personally I'm not looking at it that way. There's something different about this team than the past 2 seasons that it's not a guarantee that there will be a 3rd straight collapse. They have a lot more depth that should keep that from happening.

Holy shit, a somewhat optimistic post about the Pirates from XT....there must be something to this team.

as far as the thread, I haven't been posting much at all anywhere, but I still follow/root for the Buccos every game...just like every other year since I was a kid. It'll be interesting to see the bandwagoners enter the thread if they are still doing this well in aug/sep

zulater
05-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Talk about irony, the Pirates have the 3rd best record in MLB, yet find themselves 3rd in their own division. :lol:

Hindes204
05-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Yea, 2 important series coming up against the Reds....we don't play the Cardinals again until after the all star break

X-Terminator
05-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Talk about irony, the Pirates have the 3rd best record in MLB, yet find themselves 3rd in their own division. :lol:

Screw the AL East, the NL Central is the best division in the majors. They're the only division with 3 teams with .600+ winning percentages. Yet all BSPN can talk about are the Yankees and Red Sox even though the Pirates have a better record than both of them.

Hindes204
05-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Buccos rally in the 7th with 4 runs, Grilli gets his LEAGUE LEADING 22nd save. This team is looking alive early fellas, this year may be the year we get over the slump. I have been dissapointed every season since I was a kid so I won't get out of hand excited just yet, but damn this team sure has a whole different feel to it this year!!

- - - Updated - - -

Now tied with Cinci for the second best record in the league...right behind the cardinals of course

Chidi29
05-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Martin hits a walkoff in the 11th! Pirates now in sole possession of 2nd place in the Central! :jolly:

Hindes204
05-31-2013, 07:00 AM
Gutted out yet another one against one of the most potent offenses in the league. I'm optimistic for the first time in a while

steeldevil
06-01-2013, 11:25 AM
The NL Central is the best division. No doubt.

I hope the Reds fall off so that both my favorite team the Cardinals and my distant second favorite the Pirates can both make the playoffs.

Although it is now possible all 3 can make it.

Boh
06-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Only 3 pages? damn

Happy the Pirates are doing good. its good for baseball.

Hindes204
06-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Only 3 pages? damn

Two decades of let downs will kill a fan base. There are still some of us die hards around though

Count Steeler
06-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Only 3 pages? damn

If they hit 82 wins, watch out. The bandwagon will fill up quite quickly, especially if they make the playoffs. But for now, I think most Buccos are reservedly hoping, but holding back, because of the last 20 seasons and the last 2 specifically.

Hindes204
06-01-2013, 07:02 PM
The bandwagoners will flood this thread if we make the playoffs....I will quote this post when they do

stillers4me
06-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Garrett Jones two-run homer into the river off Reds Jonathan Broxton

http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/cv03cq.gif

zulater
06-03-2013, 05:10 PM
I listened to the Pirates game driving home from Erie to Fair Hill Md yesterday. Made the drive home very enjoyable. Love listening to Steve Blass. I'm one of the few old enough to remember when he was a great pitcher for the Pirates.

Hindes204
06-03-2013, 06:28 PM
I listened to the Pirates game driving home from Erie to Fair Hill Md yesterday. Made the drive home very enjoyable. Love listening to Steve Blass. I'm one of the few old enough to remember when he was a great pitcher for the Pirates.

Haha.....you're old :wink02:

he retired before I was born, however, I remember watching hilights from his games during the 71 WS. And of course, I grew up listening to him. My dad schooled me at a very young age on who he was

zulater
06-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Haha.....you're old :wink02:

he retired before I was born, however, I remember watching hilights from his games during the 71 WS. And of course, I grew up listening to him. My dad schooled me at a very young age on who he was

I was 11 when they won the WS in 71, I was 19 and stationed at Lajes Field in the Azores when they won it in 79. I remember listening to to the live broadcast on armed forces radio in the middle of the night and going into work the next day bleary eyed and exhausted. :lol: Then I would watch the rebroadcast of the game on armed forces tv the next day. http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/redeyes.gif

Hindes204
06-03-2013, 07:07 PM
I was 11 when they won the WS in 71, I was 19 and stationed at Lajes Field in the Azores when they won it in 79. I remember listening to to the live broadcast on armed forces radio in the middle of the night and going into work the next day bleary eyed and exhausted. :lol: Then I would watch the rebroadcast of the game on armed forces tv the next day. http://draftsteel.com/ff/images/smilies/redeyes.gif

haha, I did the same thing in Iraq during the 05 steelers playoff run, the games were on at like one in the morning. I was on a plane home for the Denver game but the pilot kept giving us updates through the PA system. I made it home just in time for the super bowl

Boh
06-03-2013, 08:52 PM
I was a bit nervous going into the Tigers series at home. 2 scary lineups head to head.

O's Ended up taking 2 of 3 for another series win.

I hate the AL East, lots of competition. Currently in 2nd place, 2.5 out!

how about that Chris Davis

steelerdude15
06-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Garrett Jones two-run homer into the river off Reds Jonathan Broxton

http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/cv03cq.gif

Garrett is the first Pirate to hit a HR directly into the river in PNC Park's history.

- - - Updated - - -

The bandwagoners will flood this thread if we make the playoffs....I will quote this post when they do

The last thing I want to see are bandwagon Pirates fans......

Boh
06-04-2013, 12:18 PM
impressive shot.

Still to this day, Ken Griffey Jr is the only one to hit the Warehouse at Camden Yards. and that was during the 93 All Star game. I wonder how far from the plate that ball landed a PNC

steelerdude15
06-04-2013, 01:01 PM
impressive shot.

Still to this day, Ken Griffey Jr is the only one to hit the Warehouse at Camden Yards. and that was during the 93 All Star game. I wonder how far from the plate that ball landed a PNC

Garrett's home run is estimated at either 468 or 486 feet.

Boh
06-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Garrett's home run is estimated at either 468 or 486 feet.

wow what a shot.

steelerdude15
06-06-2013, 10:40 PM
I'm happy with the Pirates draft selections tonight. An outfielder, a catcher, and a left handed pitcher were good selections IMO. Here is an article on the first two picks:

Pirates pick outfield and catcher prospects in first round of MLB draft

The Pirates selected high school center fielder Austin Meadows with the No. 9 overall pick in Thursday night's Major League Baseball amateur draft then quickly followed that up by picking Reese McGuire, a high school catcher from Washington State, with the No. 14 pick..

Meadows hit .535 for Grayson High in Loganville, Ga., this season. Baseball America ranked him as the No. 5 prospect available in the draft.

McGuire hit .436 at Kentwood High School this season with four home runs. He is known as a good defensive catcher with a strong arm. Baseball America ranked McGuire as the No. 12 player available in this year's draft.

Meadows played high school ball in the same Georgia town as Clint Frazier, another top draft prospect, who starred down the road from Grayson at Loganville High. The Cleveland Indians took Frazier with the fifth overall pick.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/pirates-pick-high-school-prospect-in-first-round-of-mlb-draft-690668/#ixzz2VUxIoTIH

X-Terminator
06-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Two great pickups by the Pirates. Meadows especially is going to be a stud..IF the organization develops him properly. McGuire is a little further behind, but should be another quality player. If Meadows does turn out to be a good player, imagine him in RF with Cutch in LF and Marte in CF. Damn....

steelerdude15
06-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Two great pickups by the Pirates. Meadows especially is going to be a stud..IF the organization develops him properly. McGuire is a little further behind, but should be another quality player. If Meadows does turn out to be a good player, imagine him in RF with Cutch in LF and Marte in CF. Damn....

I know! I'm really excited about the first two picks. I think the organization could develop them properly. I personally feel that the development has improved over the last few years, even though it seems like it takes them forever to do it.

X-Terminator
06-07-2013, 04:45 PM
I know! I'm really excited about the first two picks. I think the organization could develop them properly. I personally feel that the development has improved over the last few years, even though it seems like it takes them forever to do it.

The Pirates have one of the better minor-league systems in all of baseball, when just 4 years ago they were one of the worst, if not the worst. My biggest concern is and has always been talent development. They are too slow in promoting players, and I'm not convinced they have the ability to develop them overall. Look at all of the talent that comes through the Cardinals and Rangers organizations. Two organizations that know what they are doing when it comes to preparing players for the big leagues.

However, one of the young guns may be on his way to the majors soon - it's looking more and more like Gerrit Cole will be making his ML debut on Tuesday against the Giants:

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/4158031-74/cole-tuesday-pirates#axzz2VZMW2r3k

X-Terminator
06-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Yeah, you know there isn't much interest in the Bucs around here when no one talks about Cole winning his major league debut and had a 2-run single in his first ML at-bat. Too bad I missed it live, but will be watching the replay at midnight.

Chidi29
06-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Fantastic performance. Not a high K guy because he pitches to contact and attacks the strike zone so much, but he has the stuff to get away with that with a 95+ fastball and 88-89 change. But will eventually have to learn how to set guys up and make them chase.

Love his presence out there. On the mound, in his press conference, even when he's up to bat. Cool, calm, collected guy.

Did kinda lose it at the end and got a little wild, started falling behind hitters but excellent first start from Cole. Very exciting stuff, atmosphere at PNC was electric.

steelerdude15
06-11-2013, 11:16 PM
I was excited when I found out that Cole was being called up and I'm really happy with this debut. He did an awesome job tonight throwing fifty-nine strikes, striking out his first batter, and even getting a nice two run RBI single in the bottom of the second. Even though he was a little shaky at times, he did a great job and I think that he could be a fantastic pitcher for this organization. He's not a strike out person, but will pound the lower portion of the strike zone to create grounders, which he did well tonight. Major kudos to Gerrit in his debut. I'm glad that the stadium was nearly full to see his debut, even if people had to wait a little longer to get inside because of the new security measure that was in place, which the Pirates have already stopped.

Anyways, I actually was at the Delmarva Shorebirds game tonight where they played the West Virginia Power in a double header. The Power crushed the Shorebirds eleven to zero in the first game. I'm extremely impressed with how effective and good the minor league system has become over the past few years. While I was at the game, I was also keep track on how Cole and the Pirates were doing as well.

steelerdude15
06-11-2013, 11:26 PM
By the way, if some people do not know what the latest news on the Pirates are, here are some of the latest stories:

Pirates notebook: Morton slated to start Thursday

Right-hander Charlie Morton will make his season debut Thursday, one day shy of the first anniversary of his Tommy John surgery.

Morton started nine games last season before having reconstructive elbow surgery June 14.

“I'm just excited to get back,” Morton said. “I'm trying to take it like a normal start and do my job.”

Morton got the assignment when left-hander Wandy Rodriguez (forearm tightness) was placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to June 6.

• Rodriguez was supposed to test his sore elbow Monday in a side session. But manager Clint Hurdle said there were “complications” Sunday when Rodriguez threw soft toss Sunday that made the bullpen outing a moot point.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/4176697-74/morton-pitch-hurdle#ixzz2VyN4AwFp

Pirates trade infielder McDonald to Indians

The Pirates on Monday traded utility infiedler John McDonald to the Cleveland Indians for a player to be named or cash. The move rids the roster of an unproductive bat and signals the increased trust management has in Jordy Mercer.

McDonald, 38, was traded to the Pirates from the Arizona Diamondbacks on March 21. He played in 16 games and batted .065 with one RBI before going on the disabled list with a sore lower back.

“The healthy return of Chase d'Arnaud and the continued development of Jordy Mercer prompted us to look for a better fit for John McDonald,” said Pirates General Manager Neal Huntington.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/4173828-74/mercer-mcdonald-pirates#ixzz2VyNPOiz3

PNC Park stops new security measures to wand Pirates fans

The wands weren't magic, but the decision to stop using them made the lines disappear.

A security measure announced Monday that would have required all fans entering PNC Park to be searched by metal-detecting wands was abandoned minutes after the Tuesday night game against the San Francisco Giants was scheduled to begin.

The decision to add a layer of security was directly related to a review of stadium procedures in the wake of the April 15 Boston Marathon bombing, according to Brian Warecki, a Pirates spokesman.

"The Boston bombings gave us an opportunity for us to look at everything we do at PNC Park in terms of safety and security," he said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/pnc-park-stops-new-security-measures-to-wand-pirates-fans-691273/#ixzz2VyNtQjGs

steelerdude15
06-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Another great win by the Buccos and they also took two out of three against the defending champs! This was the second game with two home runs as well. Maybe the bats are finally starting to warm up.

salamander
06-14-2013, 08:58 PM
A good series against the Giants (the 10-0 loss not withstanding) and a nice opening 3-0 win against the Dodgers tonight.

Count Steeler
06-15-2013, 06:46 AM
The top 3 records still in the NL Central. Hope the Bucs keep rolling.

Hindes204
06-15-2013, 07:29 AM
The top 3 records still in the NL Central. Hope the Bucs keep rolling.

Any other division and we'd be in first or just a game out

zulater
06-16-2013, 07:43 PM
They've recovered nicely from the beat down they took from the Braves last week with consecutive series wins over the Giants and Dodgers. Is it sustainable? Maybe? Last year when they were at their apex McCutcheon was putting up stupid numbers, aka he was carrying them. This year he's been solid, but still hasn't hit that top gear yet. So who knows, maybe when they start to falter in other places that's when Cutch will turn it up to another level.

And there bullpen seems to be genuine. So once they get a late innings lead they're pretty much golden.

So yeah this could be the year they finally break .500. And maybe with luck even make the playoffs?

I hope they do. Go Bucs!

Hindes204
06-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Tough four game road series against the Reds is next

Chidi29
06-16-2013, 10:20 PM

Definitely. Have to start beating quality teams. And ones in the Central, needless to say. Because the Reds and Cardinals don't lose too many other games.

X-Terminator
06-16-2013, 11:46 PM

Actually, this entire road trip is tough - 4 with the Reds, 3 with the Angels and 2 with the Mariners after a day off next Monday. Pretty important road trip, IMO. If they can win 5 of the 9 games while taking at least 2 from the Reds, I'd be happy.

Hindes204
06-17-2013, 12:23 AM
Actually, this entire road trip is tough - 4 with the Reds, 3 with the Angels and 2 with the Mariners after a day off next Monday. Pretty important road trip, IMO. If they can win 5 of the 9 games while taking at least 2 from the Reds, I'd be happy.

Id be good with that outcome also. Splitting the Reds series is very important. Would like to come out of that nine game stretch with 6 wins...improve on that 16-15 road record we have goin right now

Borski
06-17-2013, 04:59 AM
I'd like to see their current 4 game series trend continue

steelerdude15
06-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Pirates notebook: Mercer now the top option at shortstop

CINCINNATI — Jordy Mercer will receive the lion's share of playing time at shortstop for the foreseeable future, Pirates manager Clint Hurdle announced prior to Monday's game against the Reds.

Mercer, 26, earned his fifth start in six games Monday, the most playing time he has received at shortstop.

Mercer's defense has improved in Hurdle's estimation, and Mercer's bat is far outperforming that of Barmes. The 34-year-old Barmes was batting .198 with a .496 OPS, entering Monday. Mercer was batting .289 with a .489 slugging mark.

Mercer doubled in his first at bat Monday.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/4210476-74/mercer-pirates-barmes#ixzz2WaDlQ500

This is a great move IMO. Mercer can actually hit the ball unlike Barmes and Mercer's defense has been solid. The great thing about Barmes still being around is that he is teaching Mercer. Barmes is a great defensive shortstop and if Mercer can be as good as Barmes defensively while continuing to be able to bat, I think we'll have a solid shortstop for the first time in a long time. This was one of the biggest needs for this team and hopefully Mercer can fill that void.

Boh
06-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Pirates still beating that ass! so are the O's!

Chris Davis hit his second homer today vs Detroit, 3rd of this series, making it 26 on the season so far. About to take another series win.

I love doing it vs Cabrera too!
http://i.imgur.com/0ylsewN.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/999884_650899064937480_253203076_n.jpg

X-Terminator
06-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Pirates notebook: Mercer now the top option at shortstop

CINCINNATI — Jordy Mercer will receive the lion's share of playing time at shortstop for the foreseeable future, Pirates manager Clint Hurdle announced prior to Monday's game against the Reds.

Mercer, 26, earned his fifth start in six games Monday, the most playing time he has received at shortstop.

Mercer's defense has improved in Hurdle's estimation, and Mercer's bat is far outperforming that of Barmes. The 34-year-old Barmes was batting .198 with a .496 OPS, entering Monday. Mercer was batting .289 with a .489 slugging mark.

Mercer doubled in his first at bat Monday.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/4210476-74/mercer-pirates-barmes#ixzz2WaDlQ500

This is a great move IMO. Mercer can actually hit the ball unlike Barmes and Mercer's defense has been solid. The great thing about Barmes still being around is that he is teaching Mercer. Barmes is a great defensive shortstop and if Mercer can be as good as Barmes defensively while continuing to be able to bat, I think we'll have a solid shortstop for the first time in a long time. This was one of the biggest needs for this team and hopefully Mercer can fill that void.

It's about damn time. What good is having a good glove if you can do nothing with the bat? Barmes is better suited to do exactly what he's doing - defensive replacement with an occasional start, and mentoring Mercer. It's about winning baseball games, not playing the guy who is making more money no matter what.

Pirates still beating that ass! so are the O's!

Chris Davis hit his second homer today vs Detroit, 3rd of this series, making it 26 on the season so far. About to take another series win.

I love doing it vs Cabrera too!
http://i.imgur.com/0ylsewN.jpg

Cabrera is still the best hitter in baseball. Davis is very good, don't get me wrong, but he's not as good as Cabrera. He just has more HRs than him.

Chidi29
06-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Buccos could really use another win tonight.

Hindes204
06-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Missed opportunity in the 4th...bases left loaded

X-Terminator
06-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Can't blow chances like that against this team. No telling how well Locke will do from here on out, so every run counts.

X-Terminator
06-19-2013, 08:04 PM
And...they do it again. Bases loaded, one out, no runs. Granted, Locke was up both times with the sacks full, but still, you gotta find a way.

Hindes204
06-20-2013, 03:06 PM
We split the series...I'm good with that

zulater
06-20-2013, 03:34 PM
We split the series...I'm good with that

In the vernacular of golf, that was a great par save today!

Chidi29
06-20-2013, 03:58 PM
My recap of the game.

http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/alvarezs-bat-launches-the-pirates-over-reds/

X-Terminator
06-20-2013, 04:18 PM
OK, now win 3 of the next 5 in LA and SEA, and call it a successful road trip.

steelerdude15
06-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Great victory by the Bucs yesterday. It was nice to see Pedro drive in all the runs and get five RBIs on the day.

Boh
06-21-2013, 07:37 PM
There goes hr #27

Hindes204
06-23-2013, 06:37 PM
And they just keep winning

had me nervous for a second there in the bottom of the tenth, but they pulled it out

45-30

holy shit

salamander
06-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Nice comeback tonight and a nice 46-30 record. First sweep of an interleague opponent on the road by the Buccos...ever. Let's see how long this winning keeps up.

X-Terminator
06-23-2013, 09:16 PM
Well, they've already won 5 games in this road trip, so I'd call it a success. Make it 6 wins and I'll call it outstanding. They tried like hell to give the game away today, though. Bad decision to bring Grilli into a non-save situation when he has struggled in those situations before. Defense wasn't very good either. Just a sloppy and ugly game, but glad to get the W.

Hindes204
06-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Yes it wa sloppy, but I'll take the W, every one counts. I'm just happy they showed up to take the lead in the tenth

oneforthetoe
06-23-2013, 10:36 PM
Just stay on a roll until July 13th please.

steelerdude15
06-23-2013, 10:59 PM
Gotta love it when your team comes back and wins it. The bats were very impressive in the end of the game and it saved us and help swept the Angels. With that in mind, it was the fourth game in a row in which Pedro has homered and it was the first time in the team's history where they swept an AL opponent on the road. It also was the first time since 2007 that the Pirates swept a team in California and the last time, it was against the Giants. Off to Seattle.

stillers4me
06-24-2013, 03:17 PM
PghSportsReport‏@PghSportsReport1m (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/PghSportsReport/status/349259301640081410)
Pirates' third baseman Pedro Alvarez has been named National League Player of the Week.

steelerdude15
06-25-2013, 06:00 PM
PghSportsReport‏@PghSportsReport1m (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/PghSportsReport/status/349259301640081410)
Pirates' third baseman Pedro Alvarez has been named National League Player of the Week.

Pedro absolutely deserved it. He has homered in four consecutive games and also had a batting average of .414 if I'm correct. Not only that, but he also drove in all five runs the Pirates scored in the final game of the series against the Reds.

GBMelBlount
06-25-2013, 10:02 PM
The Pirates have the 2nd best record in all of MLB yet are in 2nd place.

Chidi29
06-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Article on a topic that hasn't been talked about in a long while.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130624&content_id=51656580&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

salamander
06-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Don't look now but the Buccos are 18 games over .500 with their win today and are 48-30 this season. No idea how long this will last but it sure is fun.

Hindes204
06-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Reds lost today too, so they fell a little farther back. We are only .5 game out of first. If St Louis loses tonight we will be tied for the best record in baseball.......unfortunately they play the bad news bears (AKA the Astros)

X-Terminator
06-26-2013, 07:41 PM
The Bucs are playing good ball, no doubt. But, I'm still hesitant to get fully on board, again, because of the past 2 years. This is probably the deepest team they've had in the past 20 years, though. So much talent at both the major and minor league level. However, it's only June 26 and there's a lot of baseball left. They need to prove that they are not the same team when we get into August and September. But as long as they finish 82-80, I'll be happy.

Spike
06-26-2013, 09:48 PM
I just ran into a Pirates game by accident on tee-vee - it was shocking to see them win.

I know the collapse will be over by September but are there any Pirates / Pens games on the same weekend schedules out yet for Sept?

X-Terminator
06-26-2013, 10:20 PM
I just ran into a Pirates game by accident on tee-vee - it was shocking to see them win.

I know the collapse will be over by September but are there any Pirates / Pens games on the same weekend schedules out yet for Sept?

Kinda. Pens play Detroit Monday 9/16 and Pirates play the Padres the same night. Same thing for Saturday 9/21 but the Pens game that day is the free game for kids, while the Pirates play the Reds that night.

Spike
06-26-2013, 10:54 PM
Kinda. Pens play Detroit Monday 9/16 and Pirates play the Padres the same night. .

thanks

I know the Steelers are outta town in Cincy that weekend but my brother lives in Columbus and I was thinking could hit all three teams in one weekend, with a little driving - that was my plan

Hindes204
06-26-2013, 11:52 PM
BOOM! Tied for first place.....AND the best record in baseball

Edman
06-27-2013, 09:55 AM
I'm sure the collapse will happen eventually, but all you can do is enjoy it while it lasts. Enjoy the dream, even if it will become a nightmare.

Look out, because here comes the perpetual pain-in-the-Pirate-ass, the Milwaukee Brewers.

X-Terminator
06-27-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm sure the collapse will happen eventually, but all you can do is enjoy it while it lasts. Enjoy the dream, even if it will become a nightmare.

Look out, because here comes the perpetual pain-in-the-Pirate-ass, the Milwaukee Brewers.

They are 6-4 against the Brewers this season so far and have actually won twice in Milwaukee. They have also been decimated by injuries and are a truly horrid road team, so I like the Pirates' chances in this series. Of course, they could just as easily play like shit and lose 2 of 3 or get swept, too. That would not surprise me, plus they're due for a letdown after winning 6 straight and 7 of their last 9.

If they can somehow get to between 22-25 games over .500 by the All-Star Break, it would take the collapse of all collapses for them to not at least finish with a winning record. And with 12 of their next 15 games at home heading into the break, they have a golden opportunity to do just that. Please...please don't fuck it up, Pirates.

Edman
06-27-2013, 01:33 PM
I mean, they can't fuck it up again, can they? This team is even further along than last year. The 2011 and 2012 Bucs never sniffed First Place, let alone the best record in the majors at any point. Last Year's Bucs didn't go 16 games over until Late July.

I'll say this. Last year doesn't seem to be bothering this team. They're still the battling Bucs. I just hope they can maintain a decent offense well into September this time. So glad Pedro Alvarez is finally coming into his own.

zulater
06-27-2013, 02:05 PM
The Pirates would really have to overachieve at collapsing this year to finish below .500. :chuckle:

Hindes204
06-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Here's for all you bandwaggoners that are sure to flood this thread if we are still relevant come September:

The Pittsburgh Pirates: From A to Z

The Pirates began Thursday at 48-30, tied with St. Louis for baseball's best record.

The Pirates -- the Pittsburgh Pirates -- have the best record in baseball. In late June.

Want to jump aboard the bandwagon? Here's everything you need to know about baseball's best team (as of this writing).

A -- Andrew McCutchen: Pittsburgh's center fielder is the face of the franchise. He even made the cover of "MLB 13 The Show" this year thanks to fan voting. And it was legitimate voting, not like when the mean kids in high school vote an unpopular girl prom queen as a prank. Almost all of McCutchen's offensive numbers so far are well off the pace of his 2012 career highs, yet the Pirates are still winning, and winning a lot. This is the most balanced Pirates team in decades -- excluding the many Pirates teams that achieved perfect roster garbage equilibrium, of course.

Read more: http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=sweetspot&id=37472&src=desktop

X-Terminator
06-27-2013, 06:23 PM
The Pirates would really have to overachieve at collapsing this year to finish below .500. :chuckle:

We're talking about a franchise that has taken failure to depths the likes of which we will never see again. So if anyone is capable of doing just that, it's the Pittsburgh Pirates. That's why the fans need to cool their jets about "playoffs" and "championships". They still need to get to .500 first.

steelerdude15
06-27-2013, 06:36 PM
We're talking about a franchise that has taken failure to depths the likes of which we will never see again. So if anyone is capable of doing just that, it's the Pittsburgh Pirates. That's why the fans need to cool their jets about "playoffs" and "championships". They still need to get to .500 first.

I agree. As fans, we should be happy if they hit a .500 record at the end of the year. Lets not worry about the playoffs just yet and focus on getting an 82-80 or a better record.

Hindes204
06-27-2013, 07:21 PM
I agree with you both and would be ecstatic if we finish above .500. However, this is a ball club that is playing great, beating good teams, and has one of the best pitching rotations around. I would not be disappointed if we didnt make the playoffs, but if they keep playing the way they have been, there is no doubt in my mind they will be there.

zulater
06-27-2013, 07:25 PM
I agree. As fans, we should be happy if they hit a .500 record at the end of the year. Lets not worry about the playoffs just yet and focus on getting an 82-80 or a better record.

I disagree. Merely finishing 1 game above .500 is not good enough when you go into July contending for the league's best record. Yeah I know the recent record. But regardless if they finish 82-80 I consider this season a failure with a capital F.

They need to at least make it in as a wild card team for this season to be a success now that they've got to where they are. .

X-Terminator
06-27-2013, 08:32 PM
I disagree. Merely finishing 1 game above .500 is not good enough when you go into July contending for the league's best record. Yeah I know the recent record. But regardless if they finish 82-80 I consider this season a failure with a capital F.

They need to at least make it in as a wild card team for this season to be a success now that they've got to where they are. .

Again, simply finishing with the magic number of 82 should be the ultimate goal for the fans. For the players, however, yes, they would view that as another colossal failure.

zulater
06-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Again, simply finishing with the magic number of 82 should be the ultimate goal for the fans. For the players, however, yes, they would view that as another colossal failure.

Uh no it shouldn't. To finish 82-80 the Pirates would have to go 34-50 the rest of the way. Which would prove exactly nothing going into the future.

X-Terminator
06-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Uh no it shouldn't. To finish 82-80 the Pirates would have to go 34-50 the rest of the way. Which would prove exactly nothing going into the future.

But they would still end the streak. With that monkey off their back, the team can then take off in the coming seasons and expectations raised accordingly.

Hindes204
06-27-2013, 09:17 PM
But they would still end the streak. With that monkey off their back, the team can then take off in the coming seasons and expectations raised accordingly.

Exactly. Coming off the failure of last year and over 2 decades of losing seasons, above 500 would be a good season. Sure, right now expectations are high because of how well they are playing, but missing the playoffs would not be the end of the world, as long as they have a winning season. Once that's outta the way, they can build on that.

like I said before, the way they are playing, I can't see a scenario where they don't at least get the wild card

zulater
06-27-2013, 09:17 PM
If the Pirates leveled out and played .500 ball the rest of the season I'd be ok with that. And if they just missed the playoffs after a 90 win season I'd be ok with that too. But to me playing 16 games under .500 for the rest of the season proves nothing and would mean more futility ahead. So what if you break the streak but still go on and stink year after year thereafter?

Finish the season with 90 wins or more and you've turned the corner and have something positive to take into the future.

Put it this way. If the Pirates stood today right around the .500 mark I'd agree wholeheartedly with your premise XT. But you start 48-30 then you can't barely back into a .500 season and gain any satisfaction from it.

Hindes204
06-27-2013, 09:21 PM
If the Pirates leveled out and played .500 ball the rest of the season I'd be ok with that. And if they just missed the playoffs after a 90 win season I'd be ok with that too. But to me playing 16 games under .500 for the rest of the season proves nothing and would mean more futility ahead. So what if you break the streak but still go on and stink year after year thereafter?

Finish the season with 90 wins or more and you've turned the corner and have something positive to take into the future.

Put it this way. If the Pirates stood today right around the .500 mark I'd agree wholeheartedly with your premise XT. But you start 48-30 then you can't barely back into a .500 season and gain any satisfaction from it.

Sure it would be disappointing, but I'd be ok if they just barely made it over 500. Again, I don't know why I argue this point, because I truly believe this team is different than those gone by, they will make the playoffs

steelerdude15
06-27-2013, 10:17 PM

Well... it would be one of those "only time will tell" ordeals. If they finished with a winning season without making the playoffs, I think most fans would be okay with that. It would be a step in the right direction and as XT said, it get the monkey off their back.

- - - Updated - - -

Pirates come to terms with 1st-round pick Meadows

The Pirates have reached an agreement with prep outfielder Austin Meadows, the ninth overall pick in the Major League Baseball draft, according to a source.

Meadows has reached a deal for near slot value for the pick, which is $3.03 million.

Meadows posted on his Twitter account Thursday evening that he was in Pittsburgh. The 6-foot-4 left-handed hitter will take a physical Friday before signing.

The Pirates agreed to a contract with their second first-round pick, prep catcher Reese McGuire, earlier this month.

The Pirates received the ninth overall pick as compensation for failing to sign last year's first-round pick, Stanford pitcher Mark Appel. Appel went No. 1 overall to Houston earlier this month.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/4273332-74/meadows-pick-million#ixzz2XTeXHQ89

X-Terminator
06-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Good! All of the major picks except maybe 1 are signed and ready to go. This team has so much raw talent in the system it's ridiculous. Almost an embarrassment of riches. Hopefully they will be developed properly - I am still skeptical of the org's player development skills.

I see the Pirates falling back and dropping this series with the Brewers. They're due for a letdown after such a successful road trip. And Cole is due to take his rookie shelling since he throws so many fastballs. If it happens, they need to get right back on the horse and not have a prolonged losing skid. Still approaching this team with extreme caution.

Hindes204
06-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Good! All of the major picks except maybe 1 are signed and ready to go. This team has so much raw talent in the system it's ridiculous. Almost an embarrassment of riches. Hopefully they will be developed properly - I am still skeptical of the org's player development skills.

I see the Pirates falling back and dropping this series with the Brewers. They're due for a letdown after such a successful road trip. And Cole is due to take his rookie shelling since he throws so many fastballs. If it happens, they need to get right back on the horse and not have a prolonged losing skid. Still approaching this team with extreme caution.

As well as they are playing right now, I don't see it happening. We will at least take the series, the Brewers are abysmal.

salamander
06-28-2013, 02:36 PM
As well as they are playing right now, I don't see it happening. We will at least take the series, the Brewers are abysmal.

That's usually the recipe for disaster for Pittsburgh sports teams. :chuckle:

Borski
06-28-2013, 03:37 PM
If the Pirates finish at or just above .500 I'd consider it yet another collapse. Yes it would be nice to beat the steak but right now they are playing much better then .500 ball.

stillers4me
06-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Pittsburgh Pirates‏@Pirates1m (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/Pirates/status/350714057743024133)
Hey Bucco Nation meet #Pirates (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/search?q=%23Pirates&src=hash) first round selection Austin Meadows: https://vine.co/v/haaAMJ0pV5F (https://t.co/rYVPy8UoGf)

he looks like he's 12 years old. :lol:

Edman
06-28-2013, 05:05 PM

Like that's worked well in the past? Don't you know? It's a Pittsburgh thing to struggle with teams you should be able to beat.

salamander
06-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Like that's worked well in the past? Don't you know? It's a Pittsburgh thing to struggle with teams you should be able to beat.

I basically alluded to the same exact thing. :lol:

Hindes204
06-28-2013, 05:39 PM
With Cincy pplaying the Rangers and St Louis playing Oakland, both good teams, the Pirates better win this series

X-Terminator
06-28-2013, 05:49 PM

Especially if it's the Brewers. In fairness, though, the Brewers are one of the worst road teams in the league - tied with the $200 million Dodgers with just 13 road wins. Only the Marlins have won fewer. The Pirates, in contrast, have the 3rd-best home record in the majors at 25-13, behind only the Reds and Braves. Sounds like the perfect recipe for them to fall flat on their faces this weekend.

Hindes204
06-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Well, Cole needs to settle down, but luckily for us Hellweg just had a terrible outing. 7 run inning and it's not over yet

Nadroj 20
06-28-2013, 08:47 PM
Pittsburgh Pirates‏@Pirates1m (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/Pirates/status/350714057743024133)
Hey Bucco Nation meet #Pirates (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/search?q=%23Pirates&src=hash) first round selection Austin Meadows: https://vine.co/v/haaAMJ0pV5F (https://t.co/rYVPy8UoGf)

he looks like he's 12 years old. :lol:

Wow he just turned 18 in May. That kid is on cloud 9!

salamander
06-28-2013, 09:21 PM
That's one hell of a way to start this series against the Brewers.

Hindes204
06-28-2013, 10:25 PM
That's one hell of a way to start this series against the Brewers.

Yea, Cole settled down after the first inning. Great resolve by the kid to put that inning behind him. Great win

Edman
06-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Looked like another letdown in the works, but the Bucs didn't falter.

The Brew Crew have been a major pain in the ass for the Pirates for many years. Besides the Braves, I don't know any other club that consistently mucks things up for the Bucs.

Hindes204
06-28-2013, 10:49 PM
Looked like another letdown in the works, but the Bucs didn't falter.

The Brew Crew have been a major pain in the ass for the Pirates for many years. Besides the Braves, I don't know any other club that consistently mucks things up for the Bucs.

Big kick in the nuts for Hellweg, not a very good MLB debut

X-Terminator
06-28-2013, 11:57 PM
I started feeling sorry for the kid. Segura really let him down in that 2nd inning. But the Bucs have been on the wrong side of these kinds of games far too often against the Brewers, so it's nice to give them a taste of their own medicine.

And the Cards have lost, so your Bucs officially have the best record in the majors.

Nadroj 20
06-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Game of the week on Fox.

Edman
06-29-2013, 06:35 PM
I know it's the Pirates, but it's hard to not notice them when they have the best record in the majors. I wish people wouldn't notice them, but they do. In the back of my mind, I'm just waiting for the nightmare to begin.

They're currently one of the hottest teams in the league, but to me they're still the Pirates. 20 years of losing really makes you humble.

X-Terminator
06-29-2013, 06:56 PM
I know it's the Pirates, but it's hard to not notice them when they have the best record in the majors. I wish people wouldn't notice them, but they do. In the back of my mind, I'm just waiting for the nightmare to begin.

They're currently one of the hottest teams in the league, but to me they're still the Pirates. 20 years of losing really makes you humble.

I hear ya, man. I'm trying to enjoy this while it lasts, because I know it can all come crashing down in an instant. I constantly say this elsewhere and get hammered for it, but I just can't get fully on board with this team yet. If they play well through August and September, then I'll relax and hop on.

Nadroj 20
06-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Good blast by Pedro.

Hindes204
06-29-2013, 08:07 PM

I hear ya, man. I'm trying to enjoy this while it lasts, because I know it can all come crashing down in an instant. I constantly say this elsewhere and get hammered for it, but I just can't get fully on board with this team yet. If they play well through August and September, then I'll relax and hop on.

Im am optimistic homer I guess...I can't sit back and wait for the worst, I'm cheering for the best....if I get let down again, so be it.

Count Steeler
06-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Well, this is getting serious now. 50 wins, best record in the majors, promising line up. I'm ready to be vulnerable again, Let's go Bucs!

Roger is awful Jolly tonight!

Edman
06-29-2013, 09:04 PM
The Pirates are the first MLB team to reach 50 wins this year. The Last Pirates team to do that. 1960.

They're doing it again.

Hindes204
06-29-2013, 09:13 PM

Good call Hindes204, lol

- - - Updated - - -

All aboard!!!! Bandwagons scheduled to take off soon, everyone should jump on now

I'm from Pittsburgh so all my friends and family are still there. It's amazing all of the Pirates stuff I see from them on Facebook now a days. It's been *crickets* for years. I mean, I guess it's good that the fanbase is getting behind them now, just wish all these people suffered the decades that I did cheering them on

Boh
06-29-2013, 10:14 PM
i really hope the pirates can keep it up.

in other news i love beating the shit out of the Yankees on national TV. time to sweep them tomorrow night on espn.

chris davis goes yard twice. #30

Borski
06-30-2013, 12:12 AM
i really hope the pirates can keep it up.

in other news i love beating the shit out of the Yankees on national TV. time to sweep them tomorrow night on espn.

chris davis goes yard twice. #30

Any day the Yankees lose is a good day

Man 8 in a row and 50 wins on the season before the halfway point they are playing amazing ball right now.

I believe tomorrow is the halfway point in the season.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

X-Terminator
06-30-2013, 12:20 AM
I'll say this...never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought the Pirates would have 50 wins by the end of June. It's the first time in franchise history that they've done so.

I might just put one toe on the bandwagon. Get to 25 games over .500 by the break, and I'll put a foot on. They are playing great, but I'm a tough sell, mainly because I don't want to get excited only to have them let me down again.

All they need to do is win 32 of their last 82 games to end the streak. Play .500 ball, and they get to 91 wins and a possible playoff berth. Please Pirates...do NOT fuck this up!!!

Hindes204
06-30-2013, 12:24 AM
The way they are playing, combined with the opponents we have before the break, I'll make a prediction and say we get to 58 wins before the break

Hindes204
06-30-2013, 02:41 AM
Looking again, it is absolutely possible to have 60 wins before the break. Probable, maybe not, but definitely possible. My original prediction was 58 before the break, so I'll stick too it, but as a caveat, I wouldn't be surprised to see them hit 60

Edman
06-30-2013, 06:46 AM
I just want the Pirates to finally get the monkey off their back. That's all.

Nadroj 20
06-30-2013, 08:24 AM
The bad thing is, with the division they are in they could end up on the outside looking in without really screwing up too much. Ultimately you win and take care of your own business you're in but they play in the best division in baseball right now.

That is a lot of pressure for a pretty young team. I'm not saying it will or won't happen but with their history plus their division, I understand the hesitancy.

In the mean time I'm thrilled to see them doing so well. I hope to get to a game soon.

Edman
06-30-2013, 11:11 AM
The bad thing is, with the division they are in they could end up on the outside looking in without really screwing up too much. Ultimately you win and take care of your own business you're in but they play in the best division in baseball right now.

That is a lot of pressure for a pretty young team. I'm not saying it will or won't happen but with their history plus their division, I understand the hesitancy.

In the mean time I'm thrilled to see them doing so well. I hope to get to a game soon.

This team has seen the pressure and crumbled under it the last two years. It's really difficult to finally get over the mental block of losing when your organization and the all your predecessors have spent two decades doing it.

Should the Bucs pull it off. I will point to the 2011 season where things started to change. The Bucs from 2005-2010 were simply pathetic. The 2011 team started the dream.

Chidi29
06-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Well this game has been an adventure. :chuckle:

Pirates bullpen has been remarkable. 11 innings, 2 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 7 K's. Mazzaro didn't allow a hit in five.

X-Terminator
06-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Well this game has been an adventure. :chuckle:

Pirates bullpen has been remarkable. 11 innings, 2 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 7 K's. Mazzaro didn't allow a hit in five.

If they don't win it now, the Brewers will. They can't keep up that scoreless string forever. Plus now apparently they had Jeff Locke warming up...if he has to come in, I hope he throws a few pitches and loses the game, because the past 2 seasons were ruined in part because of very long extra-inning games killing an already overworked bullpen.

Hindes204
06-30-2013, 06:46 PM
Missed opportunity in the 13th

zulater
06-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Buccos win it in 14 completing best first half of a season in franchise history, which is saying something!

Nothing less than a 90 win season will do now. Sorry but if you play .1 game under .500 the rest of the way you end up with 91 wins. If the first half of the season represents genuine progress then nothing less than a 40-41 finish will do. Hopefully of course even better than that. To me this team should win no less than 95 games.

X-Terminator
06-30-2013, 07:43 PM
Still hoping they just get to 82. Everything after that is just gravy. 31 more wins - that's all I ask for.

zulater
06-30-2013, 07:50 PM
Still hoping they just get to 82. Everything after that is just gravy. 31 more wins - that's all I ask for.

This coming from a person who think being in the Eastern conference finals was a disasterous season for the Penguins.

Think about it. You're saying you'd be happy with a 31-50 finish. You're endorsing a half season that would equate to a 100 loss season over a full 162. Yeah, that would really take the monkey off their back going foward. :sarcasm:

To me this is the Steelers of 1972. They not only won their division but made noise in the playoffs.

In other words there's no reason to accept mediocrity from this Pirate team. The past is the past. The only way to make a new legacy is to divorce yourself of the old one. Holding on to the notion that finishing above .500 is good enough is a losers mentality when you're 51-30 through 81 games.

X-Terminator
06-30-2013, 07:55 PM
This coming from a person who think being in the Eastern conference finals was a disasterous season for the Penguins.

Think about it. You're saying you'd be happy with a 31-50 finish. You're endorsing a half season that would equate to a 100 loss season over a full 162. Yeah, that would really take the monkey off their back going foward. :sarcasm:

To me this is the Steelers of 1972. They not only won their division but made noise in the playoffs.

In other words there's no reason to accept mediocrity from this Pirate team. The past is the past. The only way to make a new legacy is to divorce yourself of the old one. Holding on to the notion that finishing above .500 is good enough is a losers mentality when you're 51-30 through 81 games.

Yeah, because the Penguins are built and are expected to win. Anything less than a Stanley Cup Championship is a failure. The Pirates have no such expectations. It's really no more simpler than that. So yes, I would be happy -though disappointed, considering where they are now - if they simply won 82 games. I would be ecstatic if they won 90+ and got a playoff berth. The last time they had a winning season, I was a month into my freshman year in college. They can at least give me that, and as I said, anything they do after that is a bonus.

Hindes204
06-30-2013, 08:03 PM
At this point, I agree with Zu. 51-30 at the halfway point....if we finish 82-80, this season will be a disappointment. 10 games ago I felt a little different, but with 51 wins, if we don't win 90+ and get a playoff birth, ima be pissed

X-Terminator
06-30-2013, 08:21 PM
At this point, I agree with Zu. 51-30 at the halfway point....if we finish 82-80, this season will be a disappointment. 10 games ago I felt a little different, but with 51 wins, if we don't win 90+ and get a playoff birth, ima be pissed

That's fine. And yes, that would suck. But when it comes to the Pirates and their recent history, I prefer to aim low. So it's 82 or bust for me. Anything but another losing season. I've had more than enough of those.

zulater
06-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Rumor has it that if the Pirates make the playoffs ESPN might air one of their games.

X-Terminator
06-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Rumor has it that if the Pirates make the playoffs ESPN might air one of their games.

But only if they play the Cards or Dodgers. Anyone else...check your local listings for MLB Network or TBS.

What I'd love to see happen is the Pirates and A's make it to the World Series. Their heads might explode.

salamander
06-30-2013, 08:37 PM

It'll eventually just be replaced by a Yankees game. :coffee:

steelerdude15
06-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Quite the game and great job by the bullpen. Also, great job by Martin with the walk off to win the game! 51-30, I can dig it. :cool:

Edman
06-30-2013, 11:09 PM
The funny thing is, some fans are too busy stoked about the record to look at what the Bucs just accomplished with this win. They swept the damn Brewers for the first time since 2009. Also, these eight wins in 2013 is the most success they've had against Milwaukee in years.

I can't even count the amount of times the Brew Crew have consistently thrashed the Bucs. Nice to show signs that they're finally getting that monkey off their back.

Hindes204
06-30-2013, 11:42 PM
The funny thing is, some fans are too busy stoked about the record to look at what the Bucs just accomplished with this win. They swept the damn Brewers for the first time since 2009. Also, these eight wins in 2013 is the most success they've had against Milwaukee in years.

I can't even count the amount of times the Brew Crew have consistently thrashed the Bucs. Nice to show signs that they're finally getting that monkey off their back.

this is a different team than the past teams. They are winning close games, gutting out wins...it's exciting to watch. I'd imagine in a week or so this thread will begin to fill up with "fans" that hav been behind them all along

X-Terminator
06-30-2013, 11:52 PM

2 more, and they win the season series for the first time since 2006. Unfortunately, we have to wait until late August to officially end that streak.

this is a different team than the past teams. They are winning close games, gutting out wins...it's exciting to watch. I'd imagine in a week or so this thread will begin to fill up with "fans" that hav been behind them all along

I'm not going to get on people who dust off their Pirates gear for the first time in a generation and decide to join in this thread. They've been down for so long that you can say the vast majority of the fans are bandwagon.

Hindes204
07-01-2013, 12:21 AM
2 more, and they win the season series for the first time since 2006. Unfortunately, we have to wait until late August to officially end that streak.

I'm not going to get on people who dust off their Pirates gear for the first time in a generation and decide to join in this thread. They've been down for so long that you can say the vast majority of the fans are bandwagon.

Yea, you're right, and I know it.....I guess I've been miserable for so many years watching them, paying attention, cheering them on, and hoping for the best, that I get a little perturbed by the sudden onset of fans who haven't paid any attention since 1992, all of the sudden they are studying up on the team and posting RTJR left and right on social media. Two years ago none of these people could even name two people that played on the team

steelerdude15
07-01-2013, 09:59 AM

That is true. The Pirates are a better team and are probably fielding the best team since 1992. We also cannot forget that the Brewers also aren't the same team and aren't as strong as they were just a couple of years ago. I'm not going to lie, its nice to see the Pirates beat up on the Brewers.

zulater
07-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Yea, you're right, and I know it.....I guess I've been miserable for so many years watching them, paying attention, cheering them on, and hoping for the best, that I get a little perturbed by the sudden onset of fans who haven't paid any attention since 1992, all of the sudden they are studying up on the team and posting RTJR left and right on social media. Two years ago none of these people could even name two people that played on the team

I don't see anything wrong with bandwagon fans when the product being offered has been inferior for so many years. People have only so much time, so much money that they can dedicate to entertainment and sports. If you don't feel that a genuine effort is being made to supply a quality product then why shouldn't you use your time and money elsewhere.

Here's another way of looking at it. I loved Sly Stallone in the first 3 Rocky movies and first 2 Rambo movies. But that doesn't mean I'm going to go see Judge Dredd or one of his other flops.

Anyway as for me, I was a Pirate fan all my life. But I've gotten disgusted with them over recent seasons and didn't really bother with them too much. When I would visit family in Pittsburgh I would go to the games. But that was more in appreciation for the park than for the team. Otherwise I would check the box scores and standings every so often. But I made no genuine effort to follow the team on a game by game basis as I did growing up and through my younger adult life.

As much as anything I grew to think of the Pirate's present ownership group as carpetbaggers. It seemed to me that they knew they could make a profit off the team with minimal investment into infrastructure ( scouting, development, player procurement etc...) so that's all they gave, minimal effort.

I still don't trust this ownership group. Obviously they've put together a competive team for the time being. But will they do what' neccessary to sustain success?

Bottom line you can call me a bandwagon jumper or anything you like. But if this organization doesn't keep the right players or do the right things and they sink back to the bottom of the pack in another year or two, I'm probably jumping right bak off it.

X-Terminator
07-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Until the past 2 years, the Pirates had consistently spent the most money in the league on acquiring young talent and building up the minor league system in the previous 4 years. Now, they are practically overflowing with talent, and top-notch talent at that. They currently have 8 players in the top-100 prospects in all of MLB, including 2 in the top 15 (Taillon, Polanco). So they are set up to be competitive for a long time. What remains to be seen is will the team spend the money to keep that talent here. They already did that with McCutchen. They will need to do the same with Cole, Marte and Taillon when he comes up. I didn't mention Alvarez because he has "no extension" Scott Boras as his agent, and he will likely be playing in pinstripes when his time ends with the Pirates. If he had anyone else as an agent, I think he would stay here as well. You would think that with all of the horrible PR the organization has suffered through and seeing the fans flock to PNC to see this team play, they would do whatever is necessary to keep them here and keep the success going.

zulater
07-01-2013, 12:03 PM
http://www.sportspickle.com/opinion/16622/exclusive-interview-with-one-of-the-pirates-fans-who-cowered-in-fear-from-a-fly-ball

:flap:

Boh
07-01-2013, 01:44 PM

nothing like sweeping the yanks infront of the country last night

http://i.imgur.com/F6lkZmG.gif

steeldawg
07-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Best record in baseball, ya that's right!

salamander
07-01-2013, 05:27 PM
For me it's simple - I was never a fan of baseball. I always found it to be boring. When the Pirates starting playing relatively well the last few seasons it sparked an interest of baseball in me because I enjoy seeing Pittsburgh sports teams do well. I've been making it a point to attend games of our local AAA team (the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders) because of my newfound interest in baseball. Call me a bandwagon fan if you want but I can thank the Pirates playing well recently for peaking my interest in this sport.

Edman
07-01-2013, 06:55 PM
I hate that damn "bandwagon" nonsense.

If you win, the fans will come and support you. Lose, and no one will come. It's how the market works. The Pirates are an entertainment product. If your product is a POS, it'll get bad press and no one will buy it. It's as simple as that.

Hindes204
07-01-2013, 08:09 PM
So if the steelers had a drought and everyone on this board started abandoning them, all of you would say "it's cool, they suck anyway, we'll support them when they're good again"

BS

X-Terminator
07-01-2013, 08:11 PM
I hate that damn "bandwagon" nonsense.

If you win, the fans will come and support you. Lose, and no one will come. It's how the market works. The Pirates are an entertainment product. If your product is a POS, it'll get bad press and no one will buy it. It's as simple as that.

Seems Cubs fans didn't get that memo...

zulater
07-01-2013, 08:14 PM
So if the steelers had a drought and everyone on this board started abandoning them, all of you would say "it's cool, they suck anyway, we'll support them when they're good again"

BS

20 straight years of losing seasons isn't a drought. It's a trend.

Hindes204
07-01-2013, 08:40 PM
20 straight years of losing seasons isn't a drought. It's a trend.

That's not the point I was trying to make

- - - Updated - - -

Pirates won a championship in '79, so did the steelers. It took the Steelers 26 years to get another one, with plenty of shitty seasons in the 80s and 90s......everyone on this board talks of being a fan through thick and thin, through the rough years when they weren't winning. For the Pirates, it's not that way, people abandoned them.

Now, this may be a bit of an unfair comparison because the steelers did have some ok teams....also, this is a steelers board, not a Pirates board, so I guess I may be expecting a bit much

Borski
07-01-2013, 08:44 PM
That's not the point I was trying to make

- - - Updated - - -

Pirates won a championship in '79, so did the steelers. It took the Steelers 26 years to get another one, with plenty of shitty seasons in the 80s and 90s......everyone on this board talks of being a fan through thick and thin, through the rough years when they weren't winning. For the Pirates, it's not that way, people abandoned them.

Not necessarily most of the people on this forum, but I'm sure if the Steelers played 20 years of 7-9 or worse football that the fanbase would take a bit of a hit.

I've supported the Pirates all these years but I cannot blame people for not wanting to put up with it that long.

The Steelers didn't have 20 years of losing football in those years though

zulater
07-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Another thing involved, if you're a transplanted Pittsburgher it's still relatively easy to see any given Steelers game in a sports bar. Outside of when the Pirates have played the Phillies or Oriorles I don't know if I've seen 20 of their games over the past 20 years. MLB doesn't make it easy to follow a bottom dweller.

Hindes204
07-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Another thing involved, if you're a transplanted Pittsburgher it's still relatively easy to see any given Steelers game in a sports bar. Outside of when the Pirates have played the Phillies or Oriorles I don't know if I've seen 20 of their games over the past 20 years. MLB doesn't make it easy to follow a bottom dweller.

Trust me, I know....it's impossible to find a game to watch outside of Pittsburgh. MLB offers a package much like NFL Sunday though, but I can understand why nobody wants to pay to watch the Buccos get their asses kicked, lol

zulater
07-01-2013, 09:14 PM
I don't think MLB does itself any favors by blocking the radio broadcasts of it's teams to the unpaying public.

Edman
07-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Are you seriously comparing a 26-year championship drought to 20 straight losing seasons?

The Steelers enjoyed a measure of success during their championship drought. Even when they didn't win championships, fan support was strong because the Steelers still fielded a solid, contending product that was entertaining to watch. The Steelers only have three losing seasons since 1992, the last time the Pirates had a winning season. Gee, which do you think is going to be more popular over that time frame? I'll bet you if the Steelers finish 7-9 or worse for the next 15 seasons, fan support will certainly dwindle.

Is it sad? Yes. The Bucs organization has no one to blame but themselves for the losing. It wouldn't be so bad if the Pirates enjoyed SOME success after 1992, but they're currently trying to buck the trend of losing since the Clinton administration. The Pirates are not only fighting history. They're fighting years of hopeless baseball. Winning after losing for so long is very difficult.

Hindes204
07-01-2013, 10:20 PM
I know what your saying, that's why I put that it's an unfair comparison...I realized it as soon as I wrote it

steelerdude15
07-01-2013, 10:30 PM
I don't think MLB does itself any favors by blocking the radio broadcasts of it's teams to the unpaying public.

This.

Borski
07-01-2013, 10:35 PM

MLB.tv They make it a lot eaiser then the NFL does. NFL if you don't live in the broadcast area and your team isn't good you pretty much have to go to a sports bar to see the game or buy DirecTV. With MLB you can get the baseball package on most cable networks, or buy the online package MLBtv and stream it through your computer or tv.

And a lot of sports bars (though not all) have the mlb package and you can usually request them to turn on the pirates game if its playing. I've done it plenty of times.

steelerdude15
07-01-2013, 10:40 PM
MLB.tv They make it a lot eaiser then the NFL does. NFL if you don't live in the broadcast area and your team isn't good you pretty much have to go to a sports bar to see the game or buy DirecTV. With MLB you can get the baseball package on most cable networks, or buy the online package MLBtv and stream it through your computer or tv.

And a lot of sports bars (though not all) have the mlb package and you can usually request them to turn on the pirates game if its playing. I've done it plenty of times.

Yeah, but the prices suck... :no:

Hindes204
07-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Yeah, but the prices suck... :no:Compared to the nfl package, the prices are great

X-Terminator
07-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Yeah, but the prices suck... :no:

MLB.TV offers monthly payments, so you don't have to pay it all up front. I don't have it because I don't need it now, but I did have it when it was in its infancy. Trust me, it's worth every penny.

X-Terminator
07-01-2013, 11:54 PM

Bucs/A's, July 10 on ESPN. Apparently someone finally got them to realize that baseball exists outside of New York and Boston, and that Pittsburgh does, in fact, still have a team.

steeldevil
07-02-2013, 07:32 AM
My cardinals are in a slump. Luckily the reds are also. Pirates taking over.

steelerdude15
07-02-2013, 11:05 AM
MLB.TV offers monthly payments, so you don't have to pay it all up front. I don't have it because I don't need it now, but I did have it when it was in its infancy. Trust me, it's worth every penny.

I didn't know they did that. I wonder how much it is. I don't think it would be too much if someone can make a monthly payment.

Hindes204
07-02-2013, 11:20 AM
I didn't know they did that. I wonder how much it is. I don't think it would be too much if someone can make a monthly payment.

Right now for the premium package, which allows you to watch on virtually any device, including XBox and PS3, is $25 a month or $79.99 for the whole year. It's well worth that price

steelerdude15
07-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Right now for the premium package, which allows you to watch on virtually any device, including XBox and PS3, is $25 a month or $79.99 for the whole year. It's well worth that price

Thanks Hindes!

Edman
07-02-2013, 01:35 PM
I know what your saying, that's why I put that it's an unfair comparison...I realized it as soon as I wrote it

It's okay.

For the record. I don't want the Pirates to lose. I want all Pittsburgh teams to win. Doesn't matter if it's the Steelers, Pens, or Pirates.

You damn well bet the Bucs will be the hottest thing in town if they're still playing in October, even when the Steelers are in season, and we all know the Steelers have been the de facto popular team in Pittsburgh for years.

Hindes204
07-02-2013, 01:40 PM
It's okay.

For the record. I don't want the Pirates to lose. I want all Pittsburgh teams to win. Doesn't matter if it's the Steelers, Pens, or Pirates.

You damn well bet the Bucs will be the hottest thing in town if they're still playing in October, even when the Steelers are in season, and we all know the Steelers have been the de facto popular team in Pittsburgh for years.

Im sure the stadium is already beginning to fill up. I remember going to three rivers all through the summer back in the day and the whole stadium was filled to the brim. I went to PNC park when I was on leave a couple years back and the place was virtually empty, it was pretty depressing

Chidi29
07-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Oh yeah, the stadium has been pretty full lately. Had five straight sellouts very recently. Team has moved up to 22nd in attendance.

X-Terminator
07-02-2013, 09:18 PM
And...done. Winning streak over. I pray that they don't turn it into a trend and go on a 9-game losing streak.

Hindes204
07-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Your pessimism never ceases to amaze me

Count Steeler
07-02-2013, 09:24 PM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=270&d=1344685619

The collapse begins! :chuckle:

X-Terminator
07-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Your pessimism never ceases to amaze me

Not pessimism. Skepticism. I save the pessimism for the Penguins.

Bottom line, record aside, the team has not accomplished anything yet. So with all due respect, you will have to deal with my skepticism until they prove they can win when it matters most.

steelerdude15
07-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Not pessimism. Skepticism. I save the pessimism for the Penguins.

Bottom line, record aside, the team has not accomplished anything yet. So with all due respect, you will have to deal with my skepticism until they prove they can win when it matters most.

No worries, no worries. It was only one game and we all knew that the winning streak was going to end eventually. They could still win the next two game and take the series. We must remember that the Phillies have always struggled here in PNC Park.

Edman
07-03-2013, 12:50 AM
Win streak done.

Also, the Bucs bats appear to have gone cold.

zulater
07-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Losing streak done. :lol:

Chidi29
07-03-2013, 09:37 PM
Sky no longer falling!

Hindes204
07-04-2013, 01:56 AM
Losing streak done. :lol:

Sky no longer falling!

Hahahahhaha

X-Terminator
07-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Pirates lose again today and drop the series to the Phillies. Looking like that letdown is about to happen. They'll probably lose the series to the Cubs too, and I see them getting hammered by the A's next week.

Hindes204
07-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Pirates lose again today and drop the series to the Phillies. Looking like that letdown is about to happen. They'll probably lose the series to the Cubs too, and I see them getting hammered by the A's next week.

Hahahahaha

you crack me up

cant win em all. It was a tough series to lose, but I fully expect to take the Cubs series

Chidi29
07-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Sky has resumed falling.

Hindes204
07-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Sky has resumed falling.

http://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx181/hindes204/image-28.jpg

vader29
07-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Sky has resumed falling.

http://kinslerpress.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/panic.gif

Chidi29
07-04-2013, 05:57 PM
http://kinslerpress.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/panic.gif

HAHA!

steelerdude15
07-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Even though they lost the series, I'm not worried about it. Philly is still a good team and always make it difficult. Off to Chicago and they hopefully will win this series.

Hindes204
07-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Well, at least St Louis lost thier series against the Angels, so they are still two games back

Count Steeler
07-05-2013, 06:16 PM
The roller coaster continues. Raise it. Nice game by Liriano.

Hindes204
07-05-2013, 06:49 PM
The roller coaster continues. Raise it. Nice game by Liriano.

Yep. Nice complete game win for Liriano

X-Terminator
07-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Liriano is turning out to be a hell of a pickup. I was one of the few people who didn't bash this signing, because I figured moving to the NL would do wonders for him, the same as it's done for A.J.

steelerdude15
07-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Liriano is turning out to be a hell of a pickup. I was one of the few people who didn't bash this signing, because I figured moving to the NL would do wonders for him, the same as it's done for A.J.

I agree and not only has Liriano been a good pickup, he also has stayed healthy so far. I honestly was against the move at first because of his health, but mostly because of his stats from the previous year, but he's been a great bargain. To add to that, he did well through out the game even he ran into a little command trouble in the seventh, picked it back up in the eighth, and had a little more command trouble in the ninth with two outs, but he pulled it through. On that note, the offense did well with thirteen hits and excellent base running, other Mercer's goof in the beginning of the game.

Chidi29
07-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Everyone but Mercer picked up a hit today and Jordy drew three walks.

Good day off for the bullpen, too. Much needed.

Nadroj 20
07-05-2013, 08:10 PM
I'm going to the game Monday. Jeff Locke is pitching so I'm eager to watch him. I hope for a good series against Oakland.