PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Regular Season Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

steelerdude15
08-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Back to back home runs in the second, great job by the Bucs.

Chidi29
08-14-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm going to sound like XT here. Great start but we were up 3-0 last night...

steelerdude15
08-14-2013, 07:41 PM
I'm going to sound like XT here. Great start but we were up 3-0 last night...

Yesterday was yesterday and today is today.

Chidi29
08-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Yesterday was yesterday and today is today.

So that makes tomorrow....tomorrow?

I think I'm picking it up. :chuckle:

steelerdude15
08-14-2013, 07:45 PM
So that makes tomorrow....tomorrow?

I think I'm picking it up. :chuckle:

That was good. :chuckle:

X-Terminator
08-14-2013, 07:54 PM
You guys all feeling better today?

I'm not watching the game, so I'm just peachy. I still can't figure out why watching sports makes me want to smash something. Too intense?

Chidi29
08-14-2013, 08:20 PM
5-0 Pirates! Marte with some redemption.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not watching the game, so I'm just peachy. I still can't figure out why watching sports makes me want to smash something. Too intense?

Deep breaths, my friend.

Hindes204
08-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Geez, just went through the thread from last night, it was like Armageddon in here, lol. That game pissed me off, but it did NOT spell the end of the season by far. We are still in first, and 9 games up in the WC. I am not as worried as most of you guys, I'm still excited for them this year

Being up 5-0 in the fourth helps, lol

Chidi29
08-14-2013, 08:28 PM
I think zu is going to break his computer if we lose again.

X-Terminator
08-14-2013, 08:33 PM
I think zu is going to break his computer if we lose again.

That's nothing. I might be minus 2 LED screens - my computer monitor and brand new TV. "HULK SMASH" indeed. And since I love both of them, watching the game tonight - and maybe the rest of the season - is out of the question.

Chidi29
08-14-2013, 08:35 PM
At least the 9th inning if things are going well?

steelerdude15
08-14-2013, 08:36 PM
5-0 Pirates! Marte with some redemption.

Hopefully this will shut people up about last night.

Chidi29
08-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Francisco Liriano. That is all.

Hindes204
08-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Francisco Liriano. That is all.

Nice CG....he will go down as one of the biggest steals of all time

oneforthetoe
08-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Wow was that needed. Would have been bad to be facing two straight sweeps in the face tomorrow.

zulater
08-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Hopefully this will shut people up about last night.

If Marte makes that catch we're 5 games up on the Cards right now instead of just 3. So no, it still is under my skin.

We need Burnett to back up Liriano with the same caliber of start tommorow.

steelerdude15
08-14-2013, 11:22 PM
If Marte makes that catch we're 5 games up on the Cards right now instead of just 3. So no, it still is under my skin.

We need Burnett to back up Liriano with the same caliber of start tommorow.

And the Cardinals and the Reds both have a good chance to take the division even if Marte made the catch. There is still a lot of baseball left and anything can happen. Did Pirates fans think that the Reds and Cardinals were going to just give up? I mean, that's how some have been acting lately.

zulater
08-15-2013, 06:17 AM
And the Cardinals and the Reds both have a good chance to take the division even if Marte made the catch. There is still a lot of baseball left and anything can happen. Did Pirates fans think that the Reds and Cardinals were going to just give up? I mean, that's how some have been acting lately.

You're actually making our point. We know the Cards and Reds aren't going away. We also suspect someone from the rear could make a hard charge in the next 6 weeks for the final wildcard berth ( Diamondbacks possibly already have started a push) That's why giving away games like the other night are so grating. Also losing tends to perpetuate itself. Lose a few in a row you start to question yourself, your teammates, you try doing to much and end up not doing as much as you normally do etc...

That's why I made a point of saying how important the quality of starts by Liriano and Burnett would be to getting things back on track. Liriano did his job now it's up to AJ. If AJ can follow suit and the Pirates come out of this series winning 2 out of 3 then at that point you can put Marte's gaffe into the rear view mirror and forget it. But if the Cards win today then that game will still resonate strongly and could adversy impact the teams ultimate fate.

Go get 'em AJ!

Godfather
08-15-2013, 07:04 AM
You guys all feeling better today?

No. The sky is still falling. Last night's game just means the Pirates will win 9 more games this year instead of 10. If any team can pull off that kind of collapse it's the Succos. We have a series against Arizona coming up. If this team had any fire in its belly, they'd sweep the series and bury the D-backs in the wild card race, but they'll choke. They couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.

zulater
08-15-2013, 07:37 AM
http://communityvoices.post-gazette.com/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/item/37353-morneau-should-interest-pirates

Minnesota Twins first baseman Justin Morneau has cleared waivers, which means he can be traded to the team making the best offer. Morneau has an .822 OPS and 53 RBIs in 302 at bats vs. right-handed pitching. The Pirates should be interested. Morneau on first and Garrett Jones in right field is a better option than anything the Pirates currently have against right-handers, who predominate in the National League. Morneau has six homers, four doubles and 14 RBIs already this month with a .926 OPS.

If they're serious and really want to take a run at winning it all this year this proposed move would make a lot of sense if it could be done at the right price.

I just hope the Pirates don't let player salaries dictate how serious they are in the "rent a player" market. Less than 2 months salary on Morneau or anyone else they might acquire isn't going to break the bank! With the crowds they're getting every home game they're going to make a ton of money.

X-Terminator
08-15-2013, 09:21 AM
The Pirates should be all over Morneau, but I doubt Huntington does anything. He didn't do anything at the deadline, so why would he start now? He doesn't care about upgrading the offense - that's pretty clear.

Hindes204
08-15-2013, 02:37 PM
AJ is getting absolutely destroyed in the fifth

- - - Updated - - -

3 singles, 2 doubles, a triple, 5 runs, and 29 pitches SO FAR, in the fifth

- - - Updated - - -

So much for AJ having a good outing, in comes Mazzaro

X-Terminator
08-15-2013, 02:48 PM
The 5th inning is usually big trouble for A.J. And it seems he's usually at his best when his team doesn't give him a big lead. It's why Liriano is now the ace of the staff.

steelerdude15
08-15-2013, 03:32 PM
You're actually making our point. We know the Cards and Reds aren't going away. We also suspect someone from the rear could make a hard charge in the next 6 weeks for the final wildcard berth ( Diamondbacks possibly already have started a push) That's why giving away games like the other night are so grating. Also losing tends to perpetuate itself. Lose a few in a row you start to question yourself, your teammates, you try doing to much and end up not doing as much as you normally do etc...

That's why I made a point of saying how important the quality of starts by Liriano and Burnett would be to getting things back on track. Liriano did his job now it's up to AJ. If AJ can follow suit and the Pirates come out of this series winning 2 out of 3 then at that point you can put Marte's gaffe into the rear view mirror and forget it. But if the Cards win today then that game will still resonate strongly and could adversy impact the teams ultimate fate.

Go get 'em AJ!

Yet the team doesn't let things bother them like they did in the past. This team moves on from bad and good games and focuses on the present. That is why I'm not worried about this series or Marte's drop. They aren't either and that's what matters.

Hindes204
08-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Nice knock by Martin to tie it up in the 8th

Hindes204
08-15-2013, 05:05 PM
That one is all on AJ. Offense did enough to win that game, it was batting practice out there for the cards in the 5th

steelerdude15
08-15-2013, 05:15 PM
That one is all on AJ. Offense did enough to win that game, it was batting practice out there for the cards in the 5th

I think we can also put some of the blame on Hurdle. He should have had the bullpen starting to warm up after the second hit instead of when the fourth run came in.

zulater
08-15-2013, 07:41 PM
I can stomach today's loss. I don't even blame it on AJ. Bad innings happen. The Cards are a good team with a strong lineup. Make a couple mistakes and it can escalate in a hurry.

Losing to a good team in their house doesn't bother me.

Giving a game away though does. And that's why the opening game of this series will chafe for a long time. Possibly forever in the context of the 2013 Pirates.

It's also why Hunnington has to trade for another bat to give this team a legitimate chance to hold off the Cardinals and Reds. The future has to be now! Wait for tommorow and it may never come. Ask the Nationals. Remember last fall, oh yeah we can shut down Strassburg because we'll be back in this position every year. Yeah right.

With the Pirates are Grille and Melacon going to be shut down closers again next year? History says unlikely. Will AJ even be a Pirate next year? His contract is up after this season. Someone out there offers him 20% more than the Pirates are willing to go think he's staying?

The point is there's no guarantees you can build on the status quo, because it's hard to quantify what's sustainable in sports. So go out there and maximize your chances now, because are no great teams this year and with the right addition to the lineup who knows? I'm not suggesting mortaging the future and making a terrible deal. What I'm saying is if someone is willing to salary dump a player that can help you for peanuts in return don't let that salary stop you. This team needs another bat if they really want to contend for a World Series. Which is what should be their goal.

X-Terminator
08-15-2013, 09:14 PM
They gave away 3 games, actually. They should have won Sunday and today as well.

Anyway, I don't have much to say other than bring on the D-Backs. Hopefully they can put some more distance between them for the 2nd WC spot which they currently lead by 8.5 games.

Hindes204
08-15-2013, 09:37 PM
They gave away 3 games, actually. They should have won Sunday and today as well.

Anyway, I don't have much to say other than bring on the D-Backs. Hopefully they can put some more distance between them for the 2nd WC spot which they currently lead by 8.5 games.

There ya go XT!!! Accept the tough losses and move on to the next series with optimism, I like the way you're thinking!!

Hindes204
08-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Not a bad outing for Cole, got hosed on some calls which led to the runs. Up 4-2 in the 6th. Hopefully Cole can get the win, he could use the confidence boost

zulater
08-16-2013, 08:20 PM
6 more outs to go! :pray:

Hindes204
08-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Gomez is taking care of business out there

- - - Updated - - -

6 up 6 down!!

zulater
08-16-2013, 08:33 PM
3 more outs and we're there! :tt02:

Hindes204
08-16-2013, 08:37 PM
Cards got thier asses kicked and Cincy is down one in the fifth. This could turn out to be a great win when we needed it

- - - Updated - - -

So much for the Reds losing...

Hindes204
08-16-2013, 08:43 PM
BOOM!!!!!!!

that should seal it

Hindes204
08-16-2013, 08:54 PM
RAISE IT!!!!!

zulater
08-16-2013, 08:55 PM
Nice win! :applaudit:

Hindes204
08-16-2013, 09:03 PM
Great job by the pitching staff today....and offense to go with it!!

X-Terminator
08-16-2013, 11:32 PM
Nice job all around, and both the Cards and Reds lost to make it an even better night.

Now get the series win!

Count Steeler
08-17-2013, 06:14 AM
Nice job all around, and both the Cards and Reds lost to make it an even better night.

Now get the series win!

Ok, who hacked your account? :chuckle:

X-Terminator
08-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Ok, who hacked your account? :chuckle:

Eh, I've decided I'm just going to try to enjoy the rest of the season since the winning record is all but assured. I'm still not convinced about the playoffs, but just seeing "82" next to their name will make me smile. All season, it's been all about ending the streak for me, and anything else is a cherry on top.

Hindes204
08-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Well that was ugly

X-Terminator
08-17-2013, 09:27 PM
Just not a good day at the office. Pay them back tomorrow.

Borski
08-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Just not a good day at the office. Pay them back tomorrow.

Sure hope so, I'm going to that game

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Borski
08-17-2013, 11:57 PM
Also can anyone tell me the cheapest game parking within walking distance of PNC park?

Chidi29
08-18-2013, 12:10 AM
Also can anyone tell me the cheapest game parking within walking distance of PNC park?

It's $5 in the one parking garage next to the Clement Bridge. Can't remember the name of it. Liberty maybe? It's right next to the Byham Theater. Short walk and going across the Clemente with all the fans is pretty cool.

X-Terminator
08-18-2013, 12:42 AM
It's $5 in the one parking garage next to the Clement Bridge. Can't remember the name of it. Liberty maybe? It's right next to the Byham Theater. Short walk and going across the Clemente with all the fans is pretty cool.

I would not recommend parking there. The traffic is ridiculous even for a weekend game since the Clemente Bridge is closed. I would either park in the garage connected to the Pittsburgh Public Theatre (7th St. entry), the new 3 PNC Plaza garage at Liberty and 5th or at the Stanwix St. garage on the corner of Stanwix and Ft. Duquesne Blvd. All are within easy walking distance of PNC and I believe all are $5 on Pirates game days.

Chidi29
08-18-2013, 12:47 AM
I dunno, I've never had a problem there before.

X-Terminator
08-18-2013, 01:08 AM
I dunno, I've never had a problem there before.

It's very difficult getting into and out of that lot and does nothing but back traffic up. I avoid parking there at all costs, but then again, from where I live, I don't have to drive anywhere near downtown anymore for games.

Hindes204
08-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Great catch by Marte in the 11th. C'mon Buccos, end this shit

- - - Updated - - -

Base hit, perfect bunt, Marte at the plate with a man on 2nd. C'mon Buccos!!!!

Hindes204
08-18-2013, 04:13 PM
1st and 3rd, 2outs, up comes Cutch

and my link just went down....nooooooooo!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Saw that walk coming (even though I can't see it!!! Lol)

bases loaded. Gotta rely on updates from the ESPN app now. That'll teach me for being cheap and trying to watch the game illegally, lol

- - - Updated - - -

Aaannnnnnnd, Martin flies out. Off to the 13th we go

steelerdude15
08-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Am I the only one who is getting really annoyed with this team going into extra innings all the time?

Godfather
08-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Littlefield ought to be keel-hauled for not going out and getting us another bat.

Hindes204
08-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Ugh

X-Terminator
08-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Littlefield ought to be keel-hauled for not going out and getting us another bat.

You mean Huntington. And yes, he should be keel-hauled for that.

Now off to the West Coast, where the Pirates have really struggled in recent years. They've got to find a way to win at least 4 of the 7 games. Another disastrous trip, and the "C" word will start being thrown around more and more.

Godfather
08-18-2013, 05:57 PM
You mean Huntington. And yes, he should be keel-hauled for that.

My bad.

Worst part is we had yet another extremely long game. That's what triggered the collapses in 2011 and 2012. Hurdle needs to start throwing any game that goes to the 13th inning. And this series was the chance to put the D-bags away for good...instead they're back in the running :banghead:

steelerdude15
08-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Since there doesn't seem to be a single positive post on this board, I'll write one. Great job by Fransico and the Pirates last night. Fransico had a great night by going seven innings and struck out thirteen batters, which is his season record for the year. Two others who did great were Cutch and Pedro. Pedro had his thirty-first home run which is a new career record for him and he also had the single that drove in two runs. That also involved good base running on his part. Cutch also went two for three. A.J. is pitching today and Starling is playing today too. Lets go Bucs!

Hindes204
08-20-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm always positive, but there is no denying the negative slip that this team has taken in August. Our starting pitching (aside from Liriano) has been suspect for a few weeks. We have a string of subpar opponents coming up, hopefully we get back on track

X-Terminator
08-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Another thing that win did was put more distance between themselves and the D-backs, who lost to the Reds last night. Classic case of "Who do you root for" there.

Hindes204
08-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Another thing that win did was put more distance between themselves and the D-backs, who lost to the Reds last night. Classic case of "Who do you root for" there.

Well, 2.5 up on the Reds in the Central and 8.5 up on the DBacks for the wildcard. I'd rather put a few more games between us and the Reds

Hindes204
08-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Of course, if the Central stays as tight as it is, we may need all the distance we can get from the DBacks. My guess is there will be three teams from the Central in the playoffs. I just want the division bad, I'd hate to have the season decided by a one game playoff

X-Terminator
08-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Of course, if the Central stays as tight as it is, we may need all the distance we can get from the DBacks. My guess is there will be three teams from the Central in the playoffs. I just want the division bad, I'd hate to have the season decided by a one game playoff

One game playoff with Liriano on the mound? I take that chance every time. But obviously, winning the division is ideal, even if it only means the difference between playing the Dodgers or Braves in the NLDS.

Godfather
08-20-2013, 08:20 PM
One game playoff with Liriano on the mound? I take that chance every time. But obviously, winning the division is ideal, even if it only means the difference between playing the Dodgers or Braves in the NLDS.

Speaking of which, if we play the Braves, would you rather see:

1) We sweep them
2) We beat them in 5 (NLDS) or 7 (NLCS) games in heartbreaking, soul-crushing fashion?

steelerdude15
08-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Just to let everyone know, both the Reds and Cards lost tonight and the Bucs are up 5-1 after Cutch had a trip trip triple. Lets hope they can finish the game out and put even more distance between them and the other two.

X-Terminator
08-20-2013, 11:35 PM
8-1 now after a bases-clearing triple by Harrison. A.J. goes 7 innings. Looking good right now for another W.

Hindes204
08-21-2013, 06:07 AM
Nice to wake up to a win. Plus, cards and reds lost. Good night all around.

steelerdude15
08-21-2013, 01:07 PM
It was great to see the Pirates win last night for a few different reasons. One, we gained more ground on the Reds and the Cards. We now are two games ahead of the Cards and three and a half games ahead of the Reds. Two, A.J. didn't implode during the game and even pitched seven full innings. Finally, we had three triples in last nights game. That's pretty impressive.

X-Terminator
08-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Pirates recall Felix Pie and he will start in LF tonight - Marte is still having problems with his right hand. Ryan Reid back to Indy. Wandy to the 60-day DL. That last one is a tough one.

oneforthetoe
08-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Should we be worried about Marte? The word lingering can be a death nail in sports.

X-Terminator
08-21-2013, 07:43 PM
After being hit on that hand and missing a couple of games, then having it stepped on that very same week, I'd say yes.

Speaking of the Bucs, looks like they've mailed it in tonight. Absolutely no intensity from the team aside from Cole.

KeiselPower99
08-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Wandy can come back it anytime right? Its 60 days from the injury not the list placement.

X-Terminator
08-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Wandy can come back it anytime right? Its 60 days from the injury not the list placement.

Correct. In fact, he's scheduled to pitch a simulated game in San Francisco sometime this weekend.

Hindes204
08-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Correct. In fact, he's scheduled to pitch a simulated game in San Francisco sometime this weekend.

I think he's scheduled for a simulated game tomorrow

Hindes204
08-22-2013, 11:25 PM
Up 10-3 in the fifth. They should have this one wrapped up, I'm going to sleep

Chidi29
08-23-2013, 01:03 AM
Another win for the Buccos! Big offensive showing tonight.

zulater
08-24-2013, 12:21 AM
Charlie Morton has developed into a reliable 3rd starter. Which considering Locke's recent efforts is a damn good thing. Anyway Charlie got a well deserved win tonight. :applaudit: Keeping the Bucs a game in front of the hard charging Cards.

One thing, with the Diamondbacks losing yesterday it's looking more and more as if 3 teams are coming out of the NL central.

Edman
08-24-2013, 12:51 AM
Six more wins to go.

So close, yet so far away.

The Bucs have had a funny pattern these past two months. They would struggle a bit in the beginning of the month and in the middle, then heat up near the end. If they have another late month surge like July, it would be fantastic.

zulater
08-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Locke getting beat around like a pinata again. Is there any need to start him again this year?

Hindes204
08-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Offense is helping out though, tie ball game

zulater
08-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Oh well Pedro's bat woke up tonight, and the reinforcements arrive tomorrow. So now it's time to get the season back on track.

X-Terminator
08-27-2013, 10:05 PM
*sighs*

Should anyone be concerned that they are now 6-11 since August 8, when they reached their high of 26 games over .500? Or that they are 4-7 against losing teams in that same stretch? I know it's starting to bug the hell out of me, especially when you consider that after they reached their high water mark on the same date last season, they went 4-13 in the following 17 games.

Hey guys, I know you have a big, fat lead in the WC, but can you at least start winning a few more games here?

Sorry, I'm just pissed off right now. I'll be OK after a good night's sleep.

steelerdude15
08-27-2013, 10:10 PM
I think Locke should be pulled from the starting lineup. This isn't a knee jerk reaction either. He hasn't won since July 21st, has regressed far worse than anyone thought he would, and refuses to change his ways. He should either be put in the bullpen for relief. Only six more games, that's all they need win and I'll be satisfied.

Hindes204
08-28-2013, 01:33 AM
*sighs*

Should anyone be concerned that they are now 6-11 since August 8, when they reached their high of 26 games over .500? Or that they are 4-7 against losing teams in that same stretch? I know it's starting to bug the hell out of me, especially when you consider that after they reached their high water mark on the same date last season, they went 4-13 in the following 17 games.

Hey guys, I know you have a big, fat lead in the WC, but can you at least start winning a few more games here?

Sorry, I'm just pissed off right now. I'll be OK after a good night's sleep.

I actually agree with ya X. They are starting to piss me off too, their play in August has been less than stellar. There are some bright sides though...the bats have come alive, they just aquired help for right field, and they are still up 8 games or so in the WC. Locke had a terrible night, hard to ask the offense to score 8 runs just to win. Locke has been terrible as of late, they need to do something about that

zulater
08-28-2013, 05:35 AM
Look at their latest string of futility. How many of those losses came about due to a total lack of offense? No bench, no available pinch hitters that anyone would fear? Now you've just added a legitimate bat to the everyday lineup and a potent bat from off the bench. Yeah I know Buck doesn't have a good BA. But he's got some thump in his bat and may at least be able to bring a runner home from 3rd with less than 2 outs. As far as Byrd is concerned, having him in the lineup makes it harder to pitch around McCutcheon. Also sliding Pedro down a spot or two in the order will take pressure off him and make him a harder out.

So let's not worry about the last dozen games and instead focus on what's to come. This team still has some good baseball left in front of it. I don't know that they can catch the Cards, but I at least think the chance is there now.

X-Terminator
08-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Look at their latest string of futility. How many of those losses came about due to a total lack of offense? No bench, no available pinch hitters that anyone would fear? Now you've just added a legitimate bat to the everyday lineup and a potent bat from off the bench. Yeah I know Buck doesn't have a good BA. But he's got some thump in his bat and may at least be able to bring a runner home from 3rd with less than 2 outs. As far as Byrd is concerned, having him in the lineup makes it harder to pitch around McCutcheon. Also sliding Pedro down a spot or two in the order will take pressure off him and make him a harder out.

So let's not worry about the last dozen games and instead focus on what's to come. This team still has some good baseball left in front of it. I don't know that they can catch the Cards, but I at least think the chance is there now.

I don't care about catching the Cards. They are the better team and will win the division. I just don't want them to fuck up and blow an 8-game WC lead, so they need to get their asses in gear.

Hindes204
08-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Byrd is batting cleanup tonight

- - - Updated - - -

Pirates reportedly still interested in Morneau

zulater
08-28-2013, 07:26 PM
Byrd is batting cleanup tonight

- - - Updated - - -

Pirates reportedly still interested in Morneau

That would be wicked if we got Morneau! Especially after Marte comes back, 1-7 arguably we'd have the best lineup in the NL.

Hindes204
08-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Welcome to da burgh Byrd!!! HR!! 7-0 Buccos

zulater
08-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Welcome to da burgh Byrd!!! HR!! 7-0 Buccos

7-1. The Brewers scored a run in the top of the 7th. Which is what made that HR by Byrd so huge!

Hindes204
08-28-2013, 08:42 PM
7-1. The Brewers scored a run in the top of the 7th. Which is what made that HR by Byrd so huge!

Dammit, I hate being wrong, lol.

I'm sitting here watching the game too, watched the Brewers score, stared right at the scoreboard after Byrds HR, and I still wrote 7-0, lol

- - - Updated - - -

I just read my last post.....I really hate the phrase "lol", but it seems I have fallen victim to the overuse of it.......dammit

zulater
08-28-2013, 08:51 PM
How much harder would the top of the 8th been to endure if the score had still been 4-1? :panic:

Hindes204
08-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Yea that homer from Byrd was huge. Half a game back, one more against the Brewers, and the Cards have a night off. We have a chance to go into the series against the Cards on Friday tied for first. Meaningful baseball in September!!! Holy shit!!!

- - - Updated - - -

If Cincy blows a 9-0 lead I'm gonna snap

steelerdude15
08-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Good job by the Bucs to win and good job by Byrd. Lets win this series!

vader29
08-28-2013, 10:34 PM
:lol:

Edman
08-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Five.

X-Terminator
08-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Five.

5 more wins is a foregone conclusion at this point. Question now is can they get to the magic number of 90? That would all but certainly clinch at least a WC berth.

Godfather
08-29-2013, 08:30 PM
5 more wins is a foregone conclusion at this point. Question now is can they get to the magic number of 90? That would all but certainly clinch at least a WC berth.

I won't breathe easy until I see the standings say "Pittsburgh 81".

X-Terminator
08-29-2013, 08:46 PM
I won't breathe easy until I see the standings say "Pittsburgh 81".

You aren't alone. There are still plenty of fans who are in the "I'll believe it when I see it" mode. I just can't see this team going 3-26 to finish the season with another losing record. So I'm certain they will end up with a winning record at the very least. The playoffs, however, are a different story. I'm still not convinced they will make it despite most other fans already asking when they can buy tickets. I'm sticking with my 86-76 record with no playoffs until and unless they pass it. That's a 9-20 finish, and they've had similar finishes in the past.

BTW, their next 12 games: 6 vs. STL, 3 @ MIL and 3 @ TEX. I predict a 4-8 record in those 12 games. They don't have enough offense to keep up with them, and I'm not comfortable with their pitching other than Liriano and Morton.

steelerdude15
08-29-2013, 08:51 PM
If the Pirates get a winning record, I will be happy. That's all I ask for.

X-Terminator
08-29-2013, 11:05 PM
Honestly, I'm just frustrated with the way they've been playing the past 3 weeks. I know every team has bad stretches, but the timing of this one isn't good, for a whole host of reasons.

zulater
08-30-2013, 05:02 AM
We need ace like performances by Liriano and AJ the next two nights.

Hindes204
08-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Back to back HRs (I think, my link won't work). 4-0 Buccos!!

zulater
08-30-2013, 08:54 PM
We need ace like performances by Liriano and AJ the next two nights.

Your turn now A.J.!

Ace like effort by Liriano. Now follow it up. Win tomorrow and start September with a 1 game division lead.

- - - Updated - - -

Buc's played some great defense tonight! Barmes went 0-4 at the plate but might have saved two innings with his defense. Tabata also deserves praise for a great catch on a sinking liner.

X-Terminator
08-30-2013, 09:19 PM
Four.

That is the only number that means anything to me right now.

vader29
08-31-2013, 01:33 PM

http://www.piratesprospects.com/2013/08/pirates-acquire-justin-morneau-for-alex-presley.html

X-Terminator
08-31-2013, 01:54 PM
Well, hope you enjoy the bench, Garrett Jones. Because you're going to be sitting on it a lot starting tomorrow.

Only thing is if Morneau is still eligible to play in the postseason, should the Pirates make it (no, I'm still not convinced they will, sorry folks). Thought rosters had to be set yesterday.

vader29
08-31-2013, 02:11 PM
Last nights game they mentioned that the playoff roster deadline was today, so he should be good.

Hindes204
08-31-2013, 02:38 PM
We got Morneau!!!!!!!!

X-Terminator
08-31-2013, 03:18 PM
Last nights game they mentioned that the playoff roster deadline was today, so he should be good.

OK cool. Well, it's clear as day now - it's division title or bust. Simply winning a WC is not good enough in their minds.

Edman
08-31-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm not thinking postseason. I'm thinking finally breaking the streak. Four wins to go.

Once they win #81 and surpass #82, I'll start thinking wild card/division title.

Godfather
08-31-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm not thinking postseason. I'm thinking finally breaking the streak. Four wins to go.

Once they win #81 and surpass #82, I'll start thinking wild card/division title.

I don't want to be in the business of making a big deal over 82 wins, but in this case it will be a HUGE psychological boost. The streak will be over, and it won't be on everyone's minds. 18, 19, 20 straight losing season had to have an effect on the team when things started going bad...if the streak had only been 5-10 years we might have avoided the epic collapses in 2011 and 2012.

The 82nd win could take a lot of pressure off. And with the new bats in the lineup, I think we at least have a chance.

zulater
08-31-2013, 07:49 PM
You guys make me laugh with 82 wins. :lol: This teams all in. They've had the pitching all along, now they've got a lineup that's worthy of the pitching staff. Pedro can now be a relaxed #6 hitter against lefties, which will make him better. The Pirates are World Series contenders now!

82 wins. Sheesh.

X-Terminator
08-31-2013, 08:12 PM
You guys make me laugh with 82 wins. :lol: This teams all in. They've had the pitching all along, now they've got a lineup that's worthy of the pitching staff. Pedro can now be a relaxed #6 hitter against lefties, which will make him better. The Pirates are World Series contenders now!

82 wins. Sheesh.

Still an important number, man. Anything and everything after 82 wins is just the cherry on top. It may not matter to the TEAM, but it matters to a great deal of Pirates fans.

Edman
08-31-2013, 08:59 PM
Three.

Pirates match last year's win total, and their highest win total during the past 20 years. It may not mean much, but it means a lot.

Hindes204
08-31-2013, 09:00 PM
They are stacking their team for a playoff run.....fuck 82 wins, we are all in now.

Two straight wins against the Cards !!!!!!

X-Terminator
08-31-2013, 09:03 PM
Three.

Pirates match last year's win total, and their highest win total during the past 20 years. It may not mean much, but it means a lot.

Got win #79 on October 2 last year, the second-to-last game of the season. Yeah, they aren't going 1-26 to finish this season out. It's all but locked up now.

X-Terminator
09-01-2013, 03:19 PM
I don't know what it is about the 3rd game of a series they've already won, but they need to stop playing like complete garbage in them. Start showing some damn killer instinct! This is TWICE now they've been beaten to a pulp by the Cards after taking a home series from them. Not good for momentum going into a tough road trip.

Hindes204
09-01-2013, 06:41 PM
I don't know what it is about the 3rd game of a series they've already won, but they need to stop playing like complete garbage in them. Start showing some damn killer instinct! This is TWICE now they've been beaten to a pulp by the Cards after taking a home series from them. Not good for momentum going into a tough road trip.

While I agree the loss sucks, you've got to look at the bigger picture. We took 2 of 3 from the cards, I'm good with it. Plus, we had significantly beefed up the offense for the rest of the season. I, for one, am frickin excited

zulater
09-01-2013, 07:45 PM
With Locke flaming out for the time being we have no fifth starter. So today's loss was to be expected. The important thing is we took 2 out of 3, so our fate is in our own hands.

KeiselPower99
09-01-2013, 09:27 PM
So assuming the world dosent end by Friday the Pirates will have win 82 sometime before then. Still cant believe they got Morneau. I was hoping for Willingham.

X-Terminator
09-01-2013, 09:53 PM
So assuming the world dosent end by Friday the Pirates will have win 82 sometime before then. Still cant believe they got Morneau. I was hoping for Willingham.

I am praying they sweep the Brew Fools and they clinch their 82nd win in Miller Park.

Anyway, I'm predicting a 4-5 road trip and being 2-3 games behind the Cards for the division. Still say the playoffs aren't guaranteed.

Edman
09-02-2013, 03:16 PM

I'm more pissed losing the home series to the Brew Fools than a sole blowout loss to the Cardinals after whopping their ass. I don't like the blowout losses, but I can't complain too much.

Edman
09-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Raise it for the 80th Time!

By record, this is officially the best Pirates Team in years.

Two.

vader29
09-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Cards lost to the Reds so Pirates are back in first place by themselves.

X-Terminator
09-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Raise it for the 80th Time!

By record, this is officially the best Pirates Team in years.

Two.

Yep, and it needs to happen at Miller Park, their house of horrors for the past 7 years. Hard to believe that today was the first time they've won 3 straight in Milwaukee since 2004. 9 years!!!

Edman
09-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Yep, and it needs to happen at Miller Park, their house of horrors for the past 7 years. Hard to believe that today was the first time they've won 3 straight in Milwaukee since 2004. 9 years!!!

I just hope they do it because I hate the Brewers.

X-Terminator
09-02-2013, 05:38 PM
I just hope they do it because I hate the Brewers.

Which is why I want to see it happen there. I hate them more than any other team, and it would make my year if they end the streak in their joke of a ballpark.

Borski
09-03-2013, 02:49 AM
Just something I was thinking about, if the Pirates play approximately .500 the rest of the season I wanted to see what other teams would need in order to pass them.

Pirates are currently 80-57 with 25 games left if the go 12-13 they will finish 92-70

The Cardinals (79-58) would need to go 14-11

The Reds (77-58) would need to go 16-8

The Dbacks (69-67) would need to go 24-2

The Nationals (69-68) would need to go 24-1

Obviously nothing says will play 500 the rest of the season but I think it helps put out playoff chances in perspective.

X-Terminator
09-03-2013, 08:38 AM
In other words, there's next to no chance the Pirates lose a playoff spot. But there's still a chance. They need to keep going and keep playing good baseball.

Edman
09-03-2013, 09:47 AM
So basically, it would take something catastrophic not only for the Pirates to not win 82+, but to reach the postseason too.

With the Bucs getting out of August unlike last year, they've pretty much set themselves up for September. They are due for another hot streak.

polamalubeast
09-03-2013, 10:06 AM
In other words, there's next to no chance the Pirates lose a playoff spot. But there's still a chance. They need to keep going and keep playing good baseball.

If the pirates are not bad like the 2011 red sox in September, they will easily make the playoffs

In MLB history,a team has never lost a 10 games lead in September

Hindes204
09-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Tough road schedule ahead. In St. Louis starting Friday and then on the road against a tough Rangers team battling for first with Oakland

polamalubeast
09-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Tough road schedule ahead. In St. Louis starting Friday and then on the road against a tough Rangers team battling for first with Oakland

2-1 vs cardinals and 1-2 vs. Rangers would be great.....The last time the pirates played against the cardinals on the road, they lost two of the three games, but the two losses were very close

Hindes204
09-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Morneau and Byrd looking good in the black and gold......3-2 Buccos

Hindes204
09-03-2013, 09:40 PM
7 hits, all from Cutch Morneau and Byrd. Everyone else has zilch, zero, Nada.

Hindes204
09-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Snider with a clutch HR in the ninth!!!!!! Buccos back on top 4-3

Edman
09-03-2013, 10:13 PM
#81!

THE LOSING STREAK IS OVER.

polamalubeast
09-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Pirates snap streak of 20 consecutive losing seasons with 81st win of year.

oneforthetoe
09-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Pirates snap streak of 20 consecutive losing seasons with 81st win of year.

Wouldn't have been the Pirates without a little drama.

X-Terminator
09-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Finally, the streak is DEAD! Can't think of a better place than that little league field in Milwaukee! Now let's win tomorrow and clinch the winning season against these bums on their turf!

steelerdude15
09-03-2013, 10:21 PM
I don't know what to say... I was born in October 1990 and the season had already ended by then. I was only a baby in '91 and '92 so I really didn't get to live through those years of Bonds, Bonilla, etc. So for me, this is a special moment. Its a very weird feeling to know that for the first time in my life, I'll get to experience a winning baseball team. I have always loved them and my first few professional sporting events were Pirates games back when Three Rivers was still around and when PNC Park was new. So weird and numbing...

Edman
09-03-2013, 10:38 PM
I don't know what to say... I was born in October 1990 and the season had already ended by then. I was only a baby in '91 and '92 so I really didn't get to live through those years of Bonds, Bonzilla, etc. So for me, this is a special moment. Its a very weird feeling to know that for the first time in my life, I'll get to experience a winning baseball team. I have always loved them and my first few professional sporting events were Pirates games back when Three Rivers was still around and when PNC Park was new. So weird and numbing...

Born 1989. I was too young to pay attention to the Early 90's Bucs, but I grew up during "the streak". Years of broken promises, wannabe stars, and bad contracts. I've been used to the Pirates being a joke while the Steelers and Penguins were the toast of the town. Let's not forget the notorious joke in 2009: "The City of Champions...and the Pirates."

I like many others was just waiting for Steelers season to start so we wouldn't have to watch the Pirates anymore. Pirates season was just a annual pain train. It was hopeless, and you just knew watching it. You just didn't know when it was going to end.

But it ended tonight. It's finally over. How fitting that it ended in the Stadium against the team that has been the Pirates biggest nemesis for a long time. I remember Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder and the Brewers constantly, consistently humiliating the Buccos. I remember the notorious 20-0 loss in 2010, and the house of Horrors that is Miller Park. The Pirates could beat any team, but the Beermen always mucked them up.

The Pirates have turned the corner, because they're finally turning the tide against the damn Brewers.

Edman
09-03-2013, 11:04 PM
More Good News.

The Reds beat the Cards again, the Pirates are now up two games in the Central.

With the monkey (halfway) off their back (Gotta win one more game), it's full steam ahead in the pennant race.

Borski
09-04-2013, 05:31 AM
I'm going to continue this for now:
If the Pirates play approximately .500 the rest of the season I wanted to see what other teams would need in order to pass them.

Pirates are currently 81-57 with 24 games left if the go 12-12 they will finish 93-69

The Cardinals (79-59) would need to go 15-9

The Reds (78-58) would need to go 16-10

The Dbacks (69-68) would need to go 25-0

The Nationals (70-68) would need to go 24-0

Obviously nothing says will play exactly .500 (or more or less) the rest of the season but I think it helps put our playoff chances in perspective.

X-Terminator
09-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Born 1989. I was too young to pay attention to the Early 90's Bucs, but I grew up during "the streak". Years of broken promises, wannabe stars, and bad contracts. I've been used to the Pirates being a joke while the Steelers and Penguins were the toast of the town. Let's not forget the notorious joke in 2009: "The City of Champions...and the Pirates."

I like many others was just waiting for Steelers season to start so we wouldn't have to watch the Pirates anymore. Pirates season was just a annual pain train. It was hopeless, and you just knew watching it. You just didn't know when it was going to end.

But it ended tonight. It's finally over. How fitting that it ended in the Stadium against the team that has been the Pirates biggest nemesis for a long time. I remember Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder and the Brewers constantly, consistently humiliating the Buccos. I remember the notorious 20-0 loss in 2010, and the house of Horrors that is Miller Park. The Pirates could beat any team, but the Beermen always mucked them up.

The Pirates have turned the corner, because they're finally turning the tide against the damn Brewers.

I remember the early 1990s Bucs quite well. Sitting in the OF bleachers (they were only $2 back then - shows how far we've come as far as that goes), the "Darryl" chants, "Muck the Fets," the Killer B's (Bonds, Bonilla, Bell and Backman), John Smiley becoming the last Pirate to win 20 games in a season...and those damn Braves. I had just started my freshman year in college when I had the unfortunate pleasure of watching Bonds not able to throw out one of the slowest runners in the history of the game. Never thought in a million years it would take this long to see another Pirates team win 81 games (82 is academic at this point). And to do it in Miller Park is just icing on the cake.

So now, it's the bonus round for me. If they go on to win the WS, that would be fantastic. If they have a first or WC exit, I really don't care. The streak is dead, and that's all that matters.

polamalubeast
09-04-2013, 08:11 AM
I'm going to continue this for now:
If the Pirates play approximately .500 the rest of the season I wanted to see what other teams would need in order to pass them.

Pirates are currently 81-57 with 24 games left if the go 12-12 they will finish 93-69

The Cardinals (79-59) would need to go 15-9

The Reds (78-58) would need to go 16-10

The Dbacks (69-68) would need to go 25-0

The Nationals (70-68) would need to go 24-0

Obviously nothing says will play exactly .500 (or more or less) the rest of the season but I think it helps put our playoff chances in perspective.

The reds are 78-61 right now

Borski
09-04-2013, 08:54 AM
The reds are 78-61 right now
Not sure how missed that. In that case the Reds would need to go 16-7

vader29
09-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Cutch gets the cover of SI this week, as we all know Grilli went on the DL shortly after being on the cover earlier this year.

No SI jinx. :crossed:

http://i39.tinypic.com/13yqasn.jpg

KeiselPower99
09-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Well the streak is over!!!!

vader29
09-04-2013, 05:49 PM

salamander
09-04-2013, 05:55 PM

Good form. I give it an 8. :chuckle:

stillers4me
09-04-2013, 06:27 PM
That's awesome! I wonder if he knew about it before he got here.

Hindes204
09-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Liriano is getting beat up tonight

X-Terminator
09-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Liriano is getting beat up tonight

Off night. But yet, I don't feel they are completely out of the game. A couple good innings and they're right back in it.

Hindes204
09-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Off night. But yet, I don't feel they are completely out of the game. A couple good innings and they're right back in it.

I know, it's crazy isn't it. I actually have faith in our offense to put up some points now. What an upgrade to our offense with Byrd and Morneau in the lineup

Borski
09-05-2013, 05:34 AM
I'm going to keep this going unless you guys want me to stop.
If the Pirates play approximately .500 the rest of the season this is what other teams would need in order to pass them.

Pirates are currently 81-58 with 23 games left if the go 11-12 they will finish 92-70

The Cardinals (80-59) would need to go 13-10

The Reds (78-62) would need to go 15-7

The Nationals (71-68) would need to go 22-1

The Dbacks (70-68) would need to go 23-1

Godfather
09-05-2013, 06:57 AM
0-23 the rest of the way. The sky is falling.

(have to pick up the slack since XT is a believer now, and we all remember what happened to the Pens last time he believed :) )

X-Terminator
09-05-2013, 07:10 AM
0-23 the rest of the way. The sky is falling.

(have to pick up the slack since XT is a believer now, and we all remember what happened to the Pens last time he believed :) )

I've been one for a while now - been saying the winning season was pretty much a given, but the playoffs weren't guaranteed. They still aren't, but it's highly, highly unlikely that they don't at least get a WC. I also predicted a losing road trip at 4-5, and they're halfway there. In either case, I'm just going to enjoy the show, because the streak is over, and everyone knows that was the most important thing to me.

Hindes204
09-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Well this isn't going well

12-1 in the seventh

X-Terminator
09-06-2013, 10:25 PM
The Cards were coming off losing 5 of their last 7 and 3 of 4 to the Reds. Not surprised they're taking it out on the Pirates. However, both Liriano and Burnett have been shelled in back-to-back games. That is not a good sign at all.

Borski
09-07-2013, 05:19 AM
Well that one stung, and the Reds winning also doesn't help.

If the Pirates play approximately .500 the rest of the season this is what other teams would need in order to pass them.

Pirates are currently 81-59 with 22 games left if the go 11-11 they will finish 92-70

The Cardinals (81-59) would need to go 12-10

The Reds (80-62) would need to go 13-7

The Nationals (71-69) would need to go 22-0

The Dbacks (71-69) would need to go 22-0

steeldevil
09-07-2013, 07:47 AM
You try to intimidate Yadier Molina with a pitch high and in, he hits a home run. Haha

X-Terminator
09-07-2013, 01:04 PM
The Cards are 81-60. The Bucs still lead by a half-game.

And steeldevil, we respect the heck out of the Cards, and the Pirates players do too. If it was either Morris or Hughes, pay it no mind. They may as well be batting practice pitchers.

X-Terminator
09-07-2013, 09:11 PM
The Pirates really need to man up and get that 82nd win out of the way, because now I'm starting to get nervous. Even though I know this will never happen, someone actually brought up the prospect of them not winning another game the rest of the season. I know, it's only been 3 losses, but still...come on, guys!

stillers4me
09-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Unbelievable...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Godfather
09-07-2013, 10:03 PM
And as a bonus, the Reds swept the Dodgers and the D-bags and Nats keep winning.

X-Terminator
09-07-2013, 11:06 PM
And as a bonus, the Reds swept the Dodgers and the D-bags and Nats keep winning.

The Reds haven't swept them yet. They play tomorrow and the Dodgers have Kershaw on the mound.

Nadroj 20
09-08-2013, 03:25 PM
On the bright side the Pirates are doing we...oh wait

salamander
09-08-2013, 03:26 PM
As an outsider looking in, color me officially worried.

X-Terminator
09-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I think it's time to press the panic button. The pitching has gotten shelled the past 4 games, and once that goes, the rest of the team goes with them. I still don't see them collapsing to the point that they don't win a WC, but this is not a good situation they're in right now. Something needs to be done, someone needs to step up and be a leader. Hopefully they at least look competitive against the Rangers.

steelerdude15
09-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Yeah, I think it's time to press the panic button. The pitching has gotten shelled the past 4 games, and once that goes, the rest of the team goes with them. I still don't see them collapsing to the point that they don't win a WC, but this is not a good situation they're in right now. Something needs to be done, someone needs to step up and be a leader. Hopefully they at least look competitive against the Rangers.

The Pirates have been absolutely awful since they won their eighty-first game. They've lost all four games, all four starting pitchers were bad with Charlie getting hurt again today. I wonder how long he'll be out for and of course, Jeff Locke should no longer be in the rotation. The break didn't do a thing for him and he pitched another bad game. Throw in the fact that the offense has been dry and dreadful plus the defense having a few errors here and there, the team simply isn't getting it done. Now they go into Texas and play one of the best teams in the American League. I hope they'll be able to win at least one game in this upcoming series.

Godfather
09-08-2013, 05:24 PM
We really need to win the division. If Liriano and Burnett get their groove back, we can sweep the division series (including a little luck in Game 3). Even better, jump out to a 2-0 lead and hope for some bad weather so we can use Liriano again in Game 3.

salamander
09-09-2013, 09:36 PM
And there it is...#82.

Finally.

Hindes204
09-09-2013, 09:37 PM
RTJR!!!

Cole puts on a show and the buccos get win 82

X-Terminator
09-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Frustrating. That's the only word I can use to describe this team. Look like absolute SHIT the past 4 games, then go out and beat Yu Darvish. Unbelievable.

Gerrit Cole showed why he was drafted #1 overall. He showed more balls in one night than the entire team did in the past 5 days. This is the game that he will be remembered for the rest of his career no matter where it takes him. Big, big props for stepping up, Gerrit!

#82 and done. The Curse of Sid Bream is dead and buried forever.

steelerdude15
09-09-2013, 10:22 PM
I have a warm, fuzzy feeling in my heart. That is all.

Borski
09-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Work in progress. if any of you guys have any ideas feel free to add or change any of it.
I havent thought of anything for the red section yet

Da-Da-Da-Da-Ta-Da - Charge!

We're from the town with that great baseball team,
We cheer the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Hurdle and all his friends are all on the field.
Go out and get them Pirates.

McCutchen, and Walker, and Martin and Byrd,
We love you Pittsburgh Pirates.
It's been many years in coming,
just keep that Buccos Frigate sailing

Outfield, Outfield, run and scramble, dive and get that ball.
Outfield, Outfield, keeps the Buccos always best of all!
McCutchen, McCutchen, do your thing against the other team,
You start from year to year, we're so glad you play here,
Now join with me, and sing the Buccos cheer-er-ER!

We're from the town with that great baseball team,
We cheer the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Winning's a habit, not only a dream,
Go out and get them Pirates!

Gerela's Gorrilas are here for the show,
and so is Franco's Army,
It's been many years in coming,
just keep that Steelers machinery humming.

Offense, Offense, take that football whole way up the field!
Offense, Offense, let's score and score and never ever yield!
Franco, Franco, can you believe we have a running game?

The Pirates are so great, and so hard to overrate,
Good things, will come, to those who work and wait.
Da-Da-Da-Da-Ta-Da - Charge!

zulater
09-10-2013, 05:09 AM
Glad that one is out of the way. Now it's time to set the bar higher and see how high we can take things.

Edman
09-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Frustrating. That's the only word I can use to describe this team. Look like absolute SHIT the past 4 games, then go out and beat Yu Darvish. Unbelievable.

Gerrit Cole showed why he was drafted #1 overall. He showed more balls in one night than the entire team did in the past 5 days. This is the game that he will be remembered for the rest of his career no matter where it takes him. Big, big props for stepping up, Gerrit!

#82 and done. The Curse of Sid Bream is dead and buried forever.

It's a Pittsburgh thing. A team looks great one time, then the next week they shock everyone. The Steelers wrote the book on that. I hope they follow suit next week.

The Pirates despite looking like absolute garbage in the four game losing streak, are only a game back in the Central. The Pirates reached 81 and were basking in the spotlight, probably feeling the pressure of 82 wins and the collapses of 2011 and 2012. I hope this team is able to cut loose now that the weight of 1992 is finally off their shoulders. It's time to get to playing baseball, hopefully making a new legacy for themselves in the process.

zulater
09-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Whew! That was tougher than I thought it would be!

Edman
09-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Whew! That was tougher than I thought it would be!

You expected the Rangers to NOT be tough? They're in the AL Pennant Chase and were the same team that went to the World Series two years in a row.

I'm a lot more surprised to see the Pirates winning against a tough team like Rangers after the St. Louis series.

zulater
09-11-2013, 05:21 AM
You expected the Rangers to NOT be tough? They're in the AL Pennant Chase and were the same team that went to the World Series two years in a row.

I'm a lot more surprised to see the Pirates winning against a tough team like Rangers after the St. Louis series.

No I just thought a 5-2 9th inning lead was a little more secure than it turned out to be.

zulater
09-11-2013, 09:35 AM
I think if the Pirates can go 7-11 in their final 18 games they're a lock to make the playoffs as a wildcard team. That would give them 90 wins. In order to surpass that the Nationals would have to go 16-2.

Hindes204
09-11-2013, 09:52 AM
I think if the Pirates can go 7-11 in their final 18 games they're a lock to make the playoffs as a wildcard team. That would give them 90 wins. In order to surpass that the Nationals would have to go 16-2.

With a 4 game series coming up against the Cubs, and another one against the Padres, 93 is a realistic goal. If we pull that off we may even win the division. Unfortunately, the Cards have a pretty easy schedule from here on out

Hindes204
09-11-2013, 02:44 PM
AJ looking good out there today. Perfect through 4

Hindes204
09-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Perfect through 4

I jinxed that one....whoops

Hindes204
09-11-2013, 03:54 PM
C'mon Buccos, don't blow this one

Edman
09-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Back Home for the Bucs. The Final Homestand of the Season.

PNC Park is going to be rocking for the pennant chase. Oh man, PNC has been waiting for a moment like this for years.

Hindes204
09-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Back Home for the Bucs. The Final Homestand of the Season.

PNC Park is going to be rocking for the pennant chase. Oh man, PNC has been waiting for a moment like this for years.

I am so tempted to jump in the car and drive the 13 hours back home to be there

steelerdude15
09-12-2013, 07:34 PM
So far Locke is pitching pretty well, much better than he has been lately. He's still having a control issue, but it seems to be more manageable this game compared to his previous outings.

steelerdude15
09-12-2013, 07:47 PM
What a great catch by Cutch in the top of the seventh!

stillers4me
09-12-2013, 07:57 PM
What a great catch by Cutch in the top of the seventh!

That was very Polamalu like.

steelerdude15
09-12-2013, 08:08 PM
That was very Polamalu like.

They both do have long hair. :chuckle:

steelerdude15
09-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Good win by the Buccos. Good job by Jordy to had the insurance run in the eighth. Also, good job tonight by Locke. He was solid tonight, even though he struggled with his command throughout the game, but it was much better than anything he's done lately.

Hindes204
09-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Four in a row, how bout dem Buccos playin strong in September!!!

RTJR

X-Terminator
09-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Was at the game tonight, and let's just say it was so much more enjoyable being at the park and the fans be much more into the product on the field than the background stuff. I'm definitely going back either this weekend or next week. I had a lot of fun.

steelerdude15
09-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Just to let everyone know, the Cards lost so we're tied for first again!

Edman
09-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Just to let everyone know, the Cards lost so we're tied for first again!

The Pirates own the head-to head tiebreaker, so they're in first place.

X-Terminator
09-13-2013, 07:22 AM
The Pirates own the head-to head tiebreaker, so they're in first place.

That only comes into play for home field advantage in the 1-game playoff. So if they end up tied, the Pirates would host the 1-game playoff, the winner is division champ and the loser plays in the WC play-in game. So it's imperative that the Pirates either tie for first or win it outright.

Borski
09-13-2013, 07:29 AM
So Here we go again:

Pirates are currently tied with the Cards at 85-61 with 16 games left if they go 8-8 they will finish 93-69

The Cardinals (85-61) would need to go 9-7

The Reds (83-64) would need to go 11-4

The Nationals (77-69) would only be able to tie in this scenario, and only if they go undefeated 16-0

The Dbacks (73-72) would not be able to catch up in this scenario.

stillers4me
09-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Back to back to back homers !

Hindes204
09-13-2013, 07:42 PM
I'd say that was a pretty damn good fourth inning, lol

Hindes204
09-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Pirates win. Cards down 3-1 I'm the ninth

Is this really happening, I sure hope this isn't a dream, lol

X-Terminator
09-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Bucs win. Cards lose, so they're back in a tie for 1st. The Nats lose, so the Bucs' magic number to clinch a playoff berth is 7.

Borski
09-15-2013, 03:36 AM
http://sbn.to/19TwNuq

"And, suddenly, nothing seems more natural for Pittsburgh sports fans than waking up on a Sunday in mid-September and counting down the minutes until the Pirates play."

I love this quote! Lets Go Buccos!

Godfather
09-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Just for fun, this is what the pennant race would look like if we still had the two-division format:

NL East

Pirates 86 62 --
Cardinals 86 62 --
Nats 78 70 8

NL West

Braves 89 59 --
Dodgers 86 62 3
Reds 84 65 5.5

Borski
09-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Pirates Magic Number Alert

Arizona 3
Nationals 6 (this one is the playoff magic #)
Reds 10 (thank you Brewers)
Cardinals 14

Godfather
09-15-2013, 10:13 PM
Pirates Magic Number Alert

Arizona 3
Nationals 6 (this one is the playoff magic #)
Reds 10 (thank you Brewers)
Cardinals 14

It's great to have a magic number. For the last 20 years, we were lucky to have a tragic number on September 15.

zulater
09-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Padres pitcher Andrew Cashner has a perfect a perfect game going through 6 innings. A.1. Burnett has a 3 hit shutout in answer.

salamander
09-16-2013, 10:31 PM
Well, the Buccos lost 2-0 but the Cards are down 6-2 in the 9th in their game.

steelerdude15
09-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Well, the Buccos lost 2-0 but the Cards are down 6-2 in the 9th in their game.

Cardinals lost so were still tied for first place. The Reds won though.

Edman
09-16-2013, 10:57 PM
The Pirates lost, but it was just one game, and the Cards lost too.

I'd rather watch them than watch the 2013 Steelers, God what an embarrassing team.

steelerdude15
09-16-2013, 11:03 PM
The Pirates lost, but it was just one game, and the Cards lost too.

I'd rather watch them than watch the 2013 Steelers, God what an embarrassing team.

Stop complaining about the Steelers in this thread. That is what the Steelers section is for.

zulater
09-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Cardinals lost so were still tied for first place. The Reds won though.

In first place this late in the season is great! And all of our pitchers are coming off strong starts. :crossed:Hopefully Marte will be back in the line up soon too. Things are good in Bucco land today even though we lost last night. :high5:

steelerdude15
09-17-2013, 02:46 PM
In first place this late in the season is great! And all of our pitchers are coming off strong starts. :crossed:Hopefully Marte will be back in the line up soon too. Things are good in Bucco land today even though we lost last night. :high5:

Good news, Starling is starting tonight. It's going to be a Marte par-tay!

zulater
09-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Good news, Starling is starting tonight. It's going to be a Marte par-tay!

Go get 'em for XT Buccos! Make his birthday a great one! :party:

zulater
09-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Oh well, we confirmed one thing tonight. Jeff Locke can't be part of the postseason rotation. I don't even think he gets on the post season roster unless there's an injury.

zulater
09-18-2013, 08:36 PM
If the Nats don't stop winning the Pirates could end up finding themselves on the outside looking in come playoff time. What a shame tonight wasting a masterpiece by Charlie Morton. Even though Melancon blew the save and gave up the go ahead run I blame the offense. For the third straight game against the Padres the Bucs bats were impotent except for McCutcheon.

steelerdude15
09-18-2013, 08:37 PM
I just don't understand how a team that is so bad can just own this team. How can the Padres just beat up the Pirates the way they do?

zulater
09-19-2013, 08:54 PM
If we make the playoffs and get past the wildcard round I'm not sure how you would set up the rotation if you had the chance? Probably Liriano 1, A.J. 2, Morton 3, and Cole 4. But next year I'll wager that Cole will be the number 1 starter right from the start and maybe even a Cy Young candidate.

Edman
09-20-2013, 09:45 AM
I just don't understand how a team that is so bad can just own this team. How can the Padres just beat up the Pirates the way they do?

Sometimes a team just has your number. Oh well, they salvaged a game and the series is over.

steelerdude15
09-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Sometimes a team just has your number. Oh well, they salvaged a game and the series is over.

That and Cole was a straight monster with a career high twelve strikeouts.

Godfather
09-20-2013, 06:14 PM
If we make the playoffs and get past the wildcard round I'm not sure how you would set up the rotation if you had the chance? Probably Liriano 1, A.J. 2, Morton 3, and Cole 4. But next year I'll wager that Cole will be the number 1 starter right from the start and maybe even a Cy Young candidate.

Liriano and AJ for the first two games. Then "accidentally" break the sprinkler system at PNC Park so we get an extra day of rest before Game 3.

Hindes204
09-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Back to back lead off home runs. That works

stillers4me
09-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Glad this series is at home. It's pouring here in Cinci.

oneforthetoe
09-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Yikes another blown save - and Washington wins big again. And now the Reds lead.

- - - Updated - - -

Can Cole be the closer? Seriously, we could be in trouble. I know we have rebounded well this year, but our bullpen is starting to have some serious issues.

zulater
09-20-2013, 10:04 PM
Locke's pitching Sunday, so that's a loss. Better win tomorrow or Washington will be breathing down our necks. If we can't win 3 out of our remaining 8 games we're out of it I think. And I would say that's about a 25% chance, up to 50% if we lose tomorrow.

zulater
09-20-2013, 11:22 PM
So where's XT hiding these days? Can someone check up on him?

Count Steeler
09-21-2013, 06:25 AM
So where's XT hiding these days? Can someone check up on him?

He wanted to take a break.

Edman
09-21-2013, 07:56 AM
Well, that one hurts.

Tied for 2nd but one game behind the Cards.

This race could come down to the final week.

X-Terminator
09-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Nice bounce-back win tonight after that really bad loss last night. This team's been doing that all season long.

Magic number is now 3. If Miami finds a way to win tonight, it'll be 2, giving the Bucs a chance to clinch a playoff berth tomorrow.

Edman
09-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Bucs bounce back.

Unfortunately, It's looking unlikely they may catch the Cardinals. St.Louis has a really piss-easy schedule from here on out.

They just need to stay ahead of Cincy to host the wildcard game.

X-Terminator
09-21-2013, 10:10 PM
Washington will not be easy for them. Neither will the Cubs - they always play them tough regardless of the records.

zulater
09-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Much needed win tonight. Good job by A.J.

So who's the closer? Grille did it tonight, but I didn't see the game, is his velocity back where it was? Melancon was victimized by an error the night before. Not sure he deserves to lose the closers job over it? Or if it makes the Pirates better?

X-Terminator
09-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Velocity is not quite back yet on his fastball, but his slider looks really good. Fastball was around 92-93.

The plan was to eventually move Grilli back into the closer's role since he came off the DL. After Melancon blew 2 saves this week, today was the perfect time to do it. Having him back as the closer and a combination of Melancon and Watson as the primary setup men definitely makes them better.

Edman
09-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Jeff Locke pitches and sure enough, the Bucs are put into a deep 7-0 hole early. Another game thrown into the dumpster by Locke.

I seriously hope he doesn't start again. He's easily the WORST guy the Bucs have now.

salamander
09-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Screw you, Jeff Locke.

Edman
09-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Locke's pitching Sunday, so that's a loss.

Why did you have to be right?

Hindes204
09-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Locke sucks

zulater
09-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Jeff Locke pitches and sure enough, the Bucs are put into a deep 7-0 hole early. Another game thrown into the dumpster by Locke.

I seriously hope he doesn't start again. He's easily the WORST guy the Bucs have now.

It's not his fault, he;'s just one of those guys like zach Duke or Mike Dunne from ages ago who can get through the league once and look good. But once everyone figures out his stuff he's done.

Still overall it wasn't a bad weekend. We got the win we needed Saturday, and the Nats lost the first game of their doubleheader today. So essentially 1 or 2 more wins and we're at least in the wild card game. Hopefully though we can do enough to get to host it.

oneforthetoe
09-22-2013, 06:19 PM
If the Nats had not lost one of the twin bills I would be a little nervous right now. Washington is very hot and could have stayed on a roll and that could have required the bucs to play .500 on the road.

Borski
09-22-2013, 09:12 PM
They need to take Locke out of the starting rotation, this has gone on long enough. He better not get a playoff rotation spot.

zulater
09-22-2013, 09:30 PM
They need to take Locke out of the starting rotation, this has gone on long enough. He better not get a playoff rotation spot.

You can go 4 man rotation in the playoffs the way they space the games out.

zulater
09-23-2013, 12:06 AM
The Nats lost both ends of their doubleheader, which all but eliminates them. The Pirates will be in the postseason. Just a matter of for how long?

Borski
09-23-2013, 01:43 AM
You can go 4 man rotation in the playoffs the way they space the games out.

I know, I just hope they are not dumb enough to use him as one of those starts, unless someone gets injured and they have no other choice.

X-Terminator
09-23-2013, 11:43 AM
The Nats lost both ends of their doubleheader, which all but eliminates them. The Pirates will be in the postseason. Just a matter of for how long?

No, actually they won game 2. So the Pirates' magic number is 2. Win today and the Cards beat the Nats, and they clinch a playoff berth.

Borski
09-23-2013, 06:56 PM
No, actually they won game 2. So the Pirates' magic number is 2. Win today and the Cards beat the Nats, and they clinch a playoff berth.

I'd rather the Nats sweep STL and the Pirates just take care of their own business.

steelerdude15
09-23-2013, 07:06 PM
Hopefully the Pirates can at least take two out of three against the Cubs. Tonight would be a good night to start.

Godfather
09-23-2013, 07:24 PM
We need to root for the Nats to sweep the Cardinals and help us win the division.