PDA

View Full Version : Steelers hire another salary cap guy

stillers4me
03-26-2013, 08:26 PM
After being in the running for general manger jobs in Seattle, St. Louis and N.Y. Jets over the past few years, Steelers’ salary cap guru Omar Khan seems destined to move on to another organization.

The Steelers are aware Khan might not be around much longer or maybe they just need more help keeping the organization salary cap-friendly.

Whatever the reason, the Steelers may have found their guy-in-waiting, as they have hired former St. Louis Rams director of football operations Samir Suleiman to its newly created football administrator coordinator position............

Read more @ http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2013/03/27/steelers-hire-another-salary-cap-guy/#.UVJJt95uUkQ.twitter

katmandu
03-26-2013, 08:32 PM
I find it real difficult to believe the an organization as wealthy as the Steelers can't offer enough "incentives" to keep Khan around FOR LIFE !

I also find it real difficult to believe someone would NOT want to work for the Steeler organization FOR LIFE !!! What a dream job that would be !!

What am I missing here ?

Dwinsgames
03-26-2013, 09:31 PM
I find it real difficult to believe the an organization as wealthy as the Steelers can't offer enough "incentives" to keep Khan around FOR LIFE !

I also find it real difficult to believe someone would NOT want to work for the Steeler organization FOR LIFE !!! What a dream job that would be !!

What am I missing here ?

sometimes it is not about the money but the prestige ....

rich men run for president , it is not to get richer it is for the power and prestige ( some find ways to get richer in the process too )

steelreserve
03-26-2013, 10:06 PM

What am I missing here ?

He's probably aiming to one day be a GM or similar high-ranking executive who runs more of the team than just a salary cap guy. Which you can't really blame him for.

Since there are only so many of those jobs, you eventually have to take your chances - it's easy to see how in Pittsburgh he could feel "stuck" behind a guy who's been around forever and has an extra-long rope thanks to winning the Super Bowl twice.

Personally, worse things could happen. I don't think a guy like that is irreplaceable, and it's not like we've been salary-cap geniuses under his watch. I mean, even after all the bloodletting the past two years, we still have things like:

Ben Roethlisberger: $2.6M base salary
Lamarr Woodley: $3.6M base salary
Lawrence Timmons: $750K base salary
Antonio Brown: $650K base salary

which scare the hell out of me since those guys are all on $10M a year deals (except Brown, but same idea). Maybe I'm just paranoid, but that says to me we're likely to be in cap trouble for years to come, which means HOLY SHIT, did we ever spend ourselves into debt, and give out some ridiculously terrible contracts along the way. He may have just kicked the can so far down the road that he's not even around anymore to take the heat for it when we catch the worst of it.

GoSlash27
03-28-2013, 07:19 PM
" former St. Louis Rams director of football operations "

This doesn't exactly give me a warm 'n' fuzzy feeling...

GBMelBlount
03-28-2013, 09:45 PM
The Steelers are aware Khan might not be around much longer

or maybe they just need more help keeping the organization salary cap-friendly.

or maybe it's the Steeldawg strategy.

Why hire 1 when you can hire 2 for twice the price? :sofunny:

Mach1
03-28-2013, 11:15 PM
or maybe it's the Steeldawg strategy.

Why hire 1 when you can hire 2 for twice the price? :sofunny:

Technically it is part time seasonal work. :rolleyes:

GoSlash27
03-29-2013, 12:02 PM
I propose a moratorium on politics outside the soap box. Not sayin' I agree or disagree, but calling out other posters on political issues in this thread isn't cool IMO.

GBMelBlount
03-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Good call. :cookie:

BnG_Hevn
03-29-2013, 02:58 PM
You're assuming that the Steelers are interested in keeping Kahn; what if the Steelers want to part ways?

Psycho Ward 86
03-29-2013, 04:11 PM
You're assuming that the Steelers are interested in keeping Kahn; what if the Steelers want to part ways?

exactly. lol @ people not playing devils advocate

Count Steeler
03-29-2013, 05:19 PM

Khan has interviewed with other teams and probably has 1 foot out the door. If it is his ambition to be more than a cap guy, it is not going to happen in Pittsburgh. Might as well get someone else up to speed with our internal workings, cause Kahn is probably gone next season.

86WARD
03-29-2013, 10:49 PM
Hopefully to cleanup the mess that has been made by Khan and Colbert...

Mistah Q
03-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Perhaps it's because Colbert's job is in jeopardy and Khan's in line for a promotion.

Dwinsgames
03-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Perhaps it's because Colbert's job is in jeopardy and Khan's in line for a promotion.

Q !

did not realize you where registered here , Glad to see you posting !! ( about 10 or so of us here from the old board )

Mistah Q
03-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Q !

did not realize you where registered here , Glad to see you posting !! ( about 10 or so of us here from the old board )
Pah, beat you here by two years... I usually just observe (football's been a low priority of mine for a couple years now, you know I'm not that avid a poster anymore even in the old place) but I think the writing's on the wall over there.