PDA

View Full Version : Steelers interested in QB Tyler Bray?

Shoes
03-20-2013, 08:10 PM
For the past two years, ever since Ben Roethlisberger (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5536/ben-roethlisberger) turned 30, the Steelers have been questioned on when they would draft a quarterback to develop behind the two-time Super Bowl winner.
Based on a tweet from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/314446649034412032), this could be the year: "Worth noting: Steelers' braintrust had dinner with Tennessee QBTyler Bray (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/29972/tyler-bray) before attending his Pro Day."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/67515/steelers-interested-in-qb-tyler-bray

salamander
03-20-2013, 08:13 PM
I haven't checked into Bray... What say you, SU draftniks?

polamalubeast
03-20-2013, 08:15 PM
facepalm

Shoes
03-20-2013, 08:17 PM
I don't know...he has a good arm and a Ben-like pump fake. :chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCaMP4XsiUY

zulater
03-20-2013, 08:29 PM
If you can get a legitimate developmental qb in the 3rd round, one that wont moan about sitting for a couple years, I'm all for it.

Dwinsgames
03-20-2013, 08:35 PM
I would take Brad Sorenson 10 time out of 10 over Bray ( and he should be able to be had a full round later )

Psycho Ward 86
03-20-2013, 08:42 PM
dont read into it. the steelers are just covering all of their possibilities. they did the same with kirk cousins last year or was that the year before?

Chidi29
03-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Agreed with last two comments. Sorenson is a lot like Bray in that tall, big-arm mold. I know he's even gotten comparisons to Ben though in the one game I watched of the Southern Utah kid, I didn't see it in terms of the out-of-the-pocket element that people were implying. But you can get him cheaper than Bray.

And Psycho is right, it was just a visit. Worth mentioning but wouldn't read too much into it.

Pristas
03-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Guy has a great arm. He should go to Miami and throw to Wallace rather than waste his talent riding the pine behind Ben for 5-6 years in a system that doesn't throw his deep ball.

Shoes
03-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Hey Chidi....welcome back! How's school?

Chidi29
03-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Hey Chidi....welcome back! How's school?

A big reason why I went away haha! Busy but it's going good. Nearly halfway done through school, pretty crazy to think about.

Dwinsgames
03-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Agreed with last two comments. Sorenson is a lot like Bray in that tall, big-arm mold. I know he's even gotten comparisons to Ben though in the one game I watched of the Southern Utah kid, I didn't see it in terms of the out-of-the-pocket element that people were implying. But you can get him cheaper than Bray.

And Psycho is right, it was just a visit. Worth mentioning but wouldn't read too much into it.

Colbert is always good for a lunch or 4-5 visits per pre draft that is nothing but a smoke screen we ( as fans ) and other teams alike just never know for sure which ones are the smoke screens until after the fact

Chidi29
03-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Colbert is always good for a lunch or 4-5 visits per pre draft that is nothing but a smoke screen we ( as fans ) and other teams alike just never know for sure which ones are the smoke screens until after the fact

It has been pretty well-documented that the Steelers will draft multiple guys from their "30 visit" pool, but every single meeting or dinner can't be blown up too much. We're meeting/talking to a ton of players, just like the rest of the league.

And you're right, tis the year for smokescreens.

GBMelBlount
03-20-2013, 09:37 PM
It has been pretty well-documented that the Steelers will draft multiple guys from their "30 visit" pool, but every single meeting or dinner can't be blown up too much. We're meeting/talking to a ton of players, just like the rest of the league.

And you're right, tis the year for smokescreens.

Chidi, it is good to see you.

Still wondering why we let Johnson go after his insane 100+ preseason QB rating last year.

Seven
03-20-2013, 09:44 PM
I'm not a fan of developing quarterbacks. Ben is our guy and we should use the roster spots* behind him on guys that we feel like can help us achieve victory if the starter goes down. When Ben loses it, draft his replacement and let the kid learn via trial by fire - start him day one. It's cute and fun to think about using that third QB spot to develop a guy but how often does it work out? Rarely in my opinion. Rodgers and Rivers are the only two guys that were handled like that recently that really come to mind. I'd rather not waste the resources on a player for the future when a pick in the third round (for example) could prove to be very beneficial to our efforts in the present.

DarthSpartans20
03-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Perhaps they were picking his brain on what he thinks of Cordarrelle Patterson or Justin Hunter. That's more of a need than QB at this point. Wasting a draft pick on a position that can be filled anytime when their are many more holes that need attention doesn't sound good to me.

GBMelBlount
03-20-2013, 09:54 PM
I'm not a fan of developing quarterbacks. Ben is our guy and we should use the roster spots* behind him on guys that we feel like can help us achieve victory if the starter goes down. When Ben loses it, draft his replacement and let the kid learn via trial by fire - start him day one. It's cute and fun to think about using that third QB spot to develop a guy but how often does it work out? Rarely in my opinion. Rodgers and Rivers are the only two guys that were handled like that recently that really come to mind. I'd rather not waste the resources on a player for the future when a pick in the third round (for example) could prove to be very beneficial to our efforts in the present.

Arguably 2 of the top 6 QB's in the last 5 or 10 years and Brady was 6th round as well, wasn't he?

Just sayin.

Chidi29
03-20-2013, 10:00 PM

Still wondering why we let Johnson go after his insane 100+ preseason QB rating last year.

Thanks, good to be back.

Came down to experience. Batch and Leftwich clearly one out and there wasn't any room to stash Johnson.

I would rather hold onto to veterans than try to "mold" a guy because that's typically a crapshoot. Personally, if I'm drafting a QB, it's going to be in the first two rounds because I lack a franchise guy. Otherwise, I won't touch one unless the value is insanely good.

Seven
03-20-2013, 10:08 PM
Arguably 2 of the top 6 QB's in the last 5 or 10 years and Brady was 6th round as well, wasn't he?

Just sayin.

Valid point, but look how many guys you can point to that were thrown in the fire on day one (or very early) who have worked out. Peyton, Eli, Ben, Dalton, Luck, Griffin, Ryan, Newton, Cutler, Freeman... Flacco (I guess)... of course opinions will vary on those guys and not all of them are on or close to the level of Aaron Rodgers, but the number of successful quarterbacks who have success without much grooming far outweighs those who have sat for a couple seasons. That suggests to me that developing isn't all it is cracked up to be. Ask yourself this, if Aaron Rodgers had started immediately after being drafted for the Packers do you think he would be a better or worse player than he is now? In my opinion he definitely wouldn't be worse, and hell he might even be better due to more on field experience. That's why I don't favor drafting a QB and developing him. It is a waste of resources in my opinion when you already have a franchise guy, regardless of his age. Now, the one concession I'll make is if you think Tyler Bray is the next great quarterback and you can get him in the third round? Sure, go ahead and take him. But only if you think you won't be able to get another player of his caliber three or four years down the road.

LLT
03-21-2013, 12:04 AM
If you went by draft prospect ratings...I would say we should take a shot at Landry Jones from Oklahoma in the 3rd or 4th rounds....but that is one of those unexplained things about the draft. He is a player that could be a high 2nd round pick...but its still not projected on his draft status.

zulater
03-21-2013, 05:34 AM

Didn't Tyler Palko put up a couple preseasons with 100+ qb ratings?

Johnson didn't look like an NFL quarterback to me. I'm guessing the same wa true of the Steelers and the rest of the league.

GBMelBlount
03-21-2013, 07:31 AM
Valid point, but look how many guys you can point to that were thrown in the fire on day one (or very early) who have worked out. Peyton, Eli, Ben, Dalton, Luck, Griffin, Ryan, Newton, Cutler, Freeman... Flacco (I guess)... of course opinions will vary on those guys and not all of them are on or close to the level of Aaron Rodgers, but the number of successful quarterbacks who have success without much grooming far outweighs those who have sat for a couple seasons. That suggests to me that developing isn't all it is cracked up to be. Ask yourself this, if Aaron Rodgers had started immediately after being drafted for the Packers do you think he would be a better or worse player than he is now? In my opinion he definitely wouldn't be worse, and hell he might even be better due to more on field experience. That's why I don't favor drafting a QB and developing him. It is a waste of resources in my opinion when you already have a franchise guy, regardless of his age. Now, the one concession I'll make is if you think Tyler Bray is the next great quarterback and you can get him in the third round? Sure, go ahead and take him. But only if you think you won't be able to get another player of his caliber three or four years down the road.

I get your point.

The other question you could ask is that while being thrown in the fire expedites the learning curve sin't it very possible the expedited and sometimes painful learning curve will be at the expense of more losses due to inexperience and lack of tutelage?

I would imagine a lot depends on the current QB situation and a teams other needs in that draft.

86WARD
03-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Word is it was nothing more than interviews about other Tennessee players more so than Bray himself. Would definitely welcome him as the third string guy.

Remember, they did the same with Cousins last year...

Mojouw
03-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Pretty detailed write up of Bray

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2013/futures-tennessee-gunslinger-tyler-bray

It is not flattering.