PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey's future is at center, but is it now or later?

stillers4me
08-02-2010, 05:19 AM
Monday, August 02, 2010
By Ed Bouchette Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201008/20100802pd_pouncey_500.jpg
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Maurkice Pouncey stands on the sideline during a workout at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe.

The Steelers selected Maurkice Pouncey in the first round of the draft earlier this year and took little time to announce him as their center of the future. The question after two days of training camp has become, is the future now?

While Pouncey has the coaching staff's official stamp as competitor to start at right guard, it became quickly evident that he was the most talented center in camp after his first two practices Saturday, which went well.

But he must overcome a hamstring injury that occurred in a most unusual way Sunday morning. Pouncey arrived Friday night on a flight from Florida, leaving after his agent came to terms on a five-year contract with the Steelers earlier that day. He reported about 45 minutes after midnight and missed the run conditioning test and his first meetings because of it.

So, coach Mike Tomlin had him go through the run tests Saturday morning and he reportedly passed. But for some reason, he had to endure more conditioning tests Sunday morning and that's when he injured his hamstring. :doh:..................

................people in the organization were talking about how they had not seen this kind of play by a center against nose tackles since Dermontti Dawson retired a decade ago. Pouncey, who lined up at center and right guard in the two Saturday practices at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, moves nose tackles back. He gets low, gets leverage and away they go as if on roller skates. His feet move like no center since Dawson. (I think I feel all tingly ......... :bounce:)

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10214/1077049-66.stm#ixzz0vRVIvkYM

Killer
08-02-2010, 10:15 AM
" it became quickly evident that he was the most talented center in camp after his first two practices Saturday"

His feet move like no center since Dawson.

I think I feel all tingly .........

best news so far - I'm all tingly too - but I'm like that all the time

LLT
08-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Very good news.

Though I think that hartwig will at least start the season at OC...I would love to see Pouncey there sooner than later.

I think the best O-line that we can field is:

LT: Starks
LG: Kemo
OC: Pouncey
RG: Foster
RT: Adams

steelpride12
08-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Pouncey will get his chance and I trust the coaches will make a good decision for when that will be. Maybe if Hartwig struggles early or just to wait throughout the season and possibly halfway through or so see what he does during a game.

Psycho Ward 86
08-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Omg, MOVES nose tackles back? Whether it was Hampton, Hoke, or Hood he was working on, i'm impressed.

kmsteelerwr15
08-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Love hearing this!!! I really can't wait to see him in action

steeldevil
08-02-2010, 01:03 PM
wow moving back NT's? I want to see that!!

Killer
08-02-2010, 01:13 PM
I thought he would start at guard first too - but if he shows he can do it all - play him.

As a young guy coming in, it's probably easier mentally to play guard because it's more receiving information as opposed to giving it," Tomlin said after they drafted him.

Since that day, they have found that Pouncey picked up things quickly and they now believe he can handle those calls.

"I mean, at center, I have to know everything that's going on," Pouncey said. "Every call, I can't mess up then. There's a lot you have to learn, you have to call out the mike [middle linebacker] every play even though they're not going to him. There's just things you have to learn, all the calls and everything to help the other guys out."

His coaches believe he can do it. Now it's just a matter of whether they let him do it now or wait until next season.

MasterOfPuppets
08-02-2010, 01:32 PM
i'd love to see him make hartwig expendable . i'd much rather keep legursky as a backup than to keep hartwig for just one more year. they may even be able to get a late draft pick for him.

LLT
08-02-2010, 01:40 PM
i'd love to see him make hartwig expendable . i'd much rather keep legursky as a backup than to keep hartwig for just one more year. they may even be able to get a late draft pick for him.

100% agree with this.

I think it's unlikely.... but I wish this would be the route the FO would take.

st33lersguy
08-02-2010, 02:03 PM
While Pouncey has the coaching staff's official stamp as competitor to start at right guard, it became quickly evident that he was the most talented center in camp after his first two practices Saturday, which went well.

He's probably better than any other center and right guard we have

The Duke
08-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Let Hartwig be center till Ben comes back

Then put Pouncey and Ben together to unleash hell! (no pun intended :chuckle:)

Killer
08-02-2010, 02:26 PM
"....people in the organization were talking about how they had not seen this kind of play by a center against nose tackles since Dermontti Dawson retired a decade ago.

Pouncey, who lined up at center and right guard in the two Saturday practices at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, moves nose tackles back. He gets low, gets leverage and away they go as if on roller skates. His feet move like no center since Dawson."

I think we might have found a center

BuddhaBus
08-02-2010, 03:18 PM
HOLY CRAP! Dawson? Really? My friends, we are looking better every day. :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

MasterOfPuppets
08-02-2010, 03:35 PM
100% agree with this.

I think it's unlikely.... but I wish this would be the route the FO would take.
i doubt it too since they just extended him, but they could save a few bucks in the long run by keep leggy instead.

Below are the new contract numbers for center Justin Hartwig who was signed to a three year contract extension earlier in the week. The base yearly numbers are correct and the signing bonus numbers are from estimations according to published reports. Based on the numbers below, the 2009 cap charge for Hartwig will be in the neighborhood of $2,225,000.00 or so. There are seems to be a few roster bonuses included as well that are unreported.

Justin Hartwig
2009 1600000.00
2010 2080000.00
2011 2170000.00
2012 2000000.00
Signing Bonus 2100000.00

solardave
08-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Very good news.

Though I think that hartwig will at least start the season at OC...I would love to see Pouncey there sooner than later.

That looks like a good mix. I won't be surprised if Pouncey gives Tomlin no choice but to start him at Center.

LLT
08-02-2010, 03:49 PM
That looks like a good mix. I won't be surprised if Pouncey gives Tomlin no choice but to start him at Center.

I hope your right. I also hope that Urbik shows that he will be ready to take Kemo's place next year at LG.

Psycho Ward 86
08-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Very good news.

I'm all in for that lineup.

SteelerFanInStl
08-02-2010, 04:06 PM
I'd love to see Pouncey at C instead of Hartwig. The sooner the better.

steelerdude15
08-03-2010, 12:58 AM
He should be the center now. With that, Kemo should be at right guard because that's his natural position. Keep Max and Adams in their positions and we have a pretty good line up.

Galax Steeler
08-03-2010, 03:43 AM
I know it is early but I love what I am reading about Pouncey. I would love to see him start at Center our offensive line is looking better and better. Hopefully they won't let Ben or whoever is quarterback get killed this year.

Austin87
08-03-2010, 04:10 AM
Wow! Now I'm impressed! This thread just made my day. Pouncey = Dawson!!

If Pouncey is the best Center on the team they should play him there. Why waste time starting him at Guard when he is the best Center. He will make a few rookie mistakes at Center but if he is really that good then his play will make up for that.