PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Notebook: Adams all right at tackle position

stillers4me
08-02-2010, 05:09 AM
Monday, August 02, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201008/dianasteelers080110_05_330.jpg
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Hines Ward makes a catch during receiver drills at the Steelers' Sunday afternoon workout at Saint Vincent College.

Players and coaches on offense were not the only ones happy to see five-time Pro Bowler Flozell Adams join the Steelers' line at right tackle.

Defensive end Aaron Smith also was pleased, even though he must line up across from him during training camp practices.

"I feel I'm getting younger by the day," Smith said. "Just keep bringing old guys in, I'll be the young guy again." Smith is 34, Adams 35.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10214/1077048-66.stm#ixzz0vRS0SKPw

stillers4me
08-02-2010, 05:14 AM
Aaron Smith on Ziggy Hood....:thumbsup:

"If you're good enough, you're going to get on the field, that's just the way it works," Smith said. "With him and if we get a nice rotation it will be nice and guys won't have to play a ton of snaps. It will keep you more fresh and allow guys to get after people."
Smith then threw out a line in reference to the five fourth-quarter leads the defense blew in 2009 losses.

"Maybe in the fourth quarter, we won't be so tired to finish."

stillers4me
08-02-2010, 05:47 AM
Harris: Adams' transition could pay off

By John Harris (jharris@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, August 2, 2010

Flozell Adams is nicknamed "Hotel" because of his gargantuan stature in a sport where size 3XL is the norm.
Memo to Steelers public-relations staff: If fellow tackle Max Starks is listed at 6-foot-8, 345 pounds, there's no possible way Adams can be 6-7, 338. He's at least as tall as Starks — and possibly taller.
If Adams is who the Steelers hope that he is — and he will have to transition from left tackle to right tackle — you may want to crown coach Mike Tomlin for a job well done...................................

In Adams' own words, joining the Steelers is a blessing so late in his career.
"It's no secret — I have made money," said Adams, who signed a contract extension in 2008 that included $15 million guaranteed. "I talked with coach Tomlin before I came here and told him I want to contribute, play where I can.
"I liked what I saw here. I've always admired the Steelers. I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm just trying to (help) this o-line and and this team and be able to bring another championship."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_693024.html

Killer
08-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Aaron Smith:
"I feel I'm getting younger by the day," Smith said. "Just keep bringing old guys in, I'll be the young guy again." Smith is 34, Adams 35.

That's hilarious. Good to see they're having fun.

LLT
08-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Adams was a penalty machine last year...but I think the move to RT will help eliminate most of his problems. Not having to deal with the faster edge rushers will keep him from over-anticipating the snap and being offsides, and also keep him from having to compensate for being a step behind by having to hold.

I gotta say that I am pleasantly optimistic about the O-line now. That being said, the recent signings could spell the end of my boy Legursky. I hope not, but just dont see room on the roster for him. Legursky would be a great backup to Pouncey next year but I'm not holding my breath that we keep three OC's.

Killer
08-02-2010, 10:30 AM
More Aaron Smith (Ziggy) quotes:

"If you're good enough, you're going to get on the field, that's just the way it works," Smith said. "With him and if we get a nice rotation it will be nice and guys won't have to play a ton of snaps. It will keep you more fresh and allow guys to get after people."

Smith then threw out a line in reference to the five fourth-quarter leads the defense blew in 2009 losses.

"Maybe in the fourth quarter, we won't be so tired to finish."

Nice pic - Redman planting Gibson

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201008/dianasteelers080110_01_500.jpg

BnG_Hevn
08-02-2010, 10:51 AM
wow, that picture looks like a knee injury waiting to happen.

Killer
08-02-2010, 11:26 AM
By landing on his head?

Way to go Red Man.

Psycho Ward 86
08-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Welcome to the NFL Gibson :chuckle:

kmsteelerwr15
08-02-2010, 12:23 PM
At first I was iffy about signing Flozell but now I'm getting really excited about what he can bring to the line.

BuddhaBus
08-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Sounds like he has the right mindset anyway. Let's hope this solves our RT problem.

Chidi29
08-02-2010, 05:24 PM
And hey, at worst, we lose $2.5 million this season and can get him no-strings attached in 2011.

LLT
08-02-2010, 06:10 PM
By landing on his head?

Way to go Red Man.

At first glance it appears that Gibson got his ass handed to him by Redman. HOWEVER....If you watch the film of that play...you see that it was Redman who got out-muscled and had to hold Gibson to keep him from getting to the QB.

Gibson responding by politely tearing his helmet off (see pic)...THAT is when Redman had nothing to lose and pulled Gibson down in frustration at the end of the play.

wootawnee
08-02-2010, 06:55 PM
At first I was iffy about signing Flozell but now I'm getting really excited about what he can bring to the line.

Hey chicken little, I guess the sky didn't fall after all......
:boink:

BigNastyDefense
08-02-2010, 07:20 PM
I'd rather have the grizzled vet Adams next to Pouncey his rookie year than Trai Essex or anyone else we might have plugged into that spot.

kmsteelerwr15
08-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Hey chicken little, I guess the sky didn't fall after all......
:boink:

Sticks and stones :buttkick:

steelerdude15
08-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Excited to see what he can bring to the Steelers!

Austin87
08-03-2010, 04:01 AM
I'm actually very excited about our O-line. We added a first round pick and a huge veteran who knows how to get the job done. This line should be improved from last year.

wootawnee
08-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Sticks and stones :buttkick:

Im just playin........:drink: :drink::drink::drink::drink:

kmsteelerwr15
08-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Im just playin........:drink: :drink::drink::drink::drink:

Oh I know. I'm just playing along :high5: