PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison talking to the Ravens

Craic
03-16-2013, 02:59 PM
The Baltimore Sun is also reporting that linebacker James Harrison, released by the Steelers last Saturday in a salary cap-related move, has been in negotiations with the Ravens, though no deal has yet been reached.

Very bottom paragraph of this article.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20130315/SPORTS0403/130319523#.UUTOcBwqh8H

st33lersguy
03-16-2013, 03:05 PM
:horror::horror: Please don't go over to the dark side Harrison

salamander
03-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Ugh.

Craic
03-16-2013, 03:17 PM
It'd make sense for a number of reasons, including the fact that it was the other team he played for years ago.

smokin3000gt
03-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Damn it James, stay out of the AFCN!

NCSteeler
03-16-2013, 05:11 PM
He would do it (for less money even)just to spite the Steelers.

Heinz Hitman
03-16-2013, 08:28 PM
You know who would REALLY hate this?

BEN.

st33lersguy
03-16-2013, 08:58 PM
If Harrison signs with the Thugbirds do I have my permission to call him Anikin Harrison until he is off the ratbirds?

salamander
03-16-2013, 09:40 PM
If Harrison signs with the Thugbirds do I have my permission to call him Anikin Harrison until he is off the ratbirds?

The Emperor approves. :chuckle:

BnG_Hevn
03-17-2013, 02:11 AM
I have a signed jersey by him. If he converts then I think it will get burned.

zulater
03-17-2013, 06:37 AM
I think Harrison and his agent are finding out there's not much of a market for a 35 year old with knee and back related issues. That's not to say he wont eventually find work, possibly even with the Ravens. But I predict that the revised contract that Harrison refused from the Steelers upon exiting will be the highest offer he'll see this spring. Also with the moves the Steelers have made in free agency since Harrison walked, I doubt that offer will still be on the table for Harrison if he reconsiders and tries to come back to the Steelers.

katmandu
03-17-2013, 08:01 AM
He would do it (for less money even)just to spite the Steelers.It was his own greed that he didn't accept the Steeler's offer.

zulater
03-17-2013, 08:42 AM
It was his own greed that he didn't accept the Steeler's offer.

Probably more pride than greed. And in a sense I understand and sympathize. After all he was quite willing to play under the terms of the contract that was negotiated and signed by both parties. It was the Steelers who were unwilling to meet thier end of the bargain.

But at the same token that's the way it is in the NFL, and both Harrison and his agent know that signing bonus money is the only that's guaranteed in the NFL. And he gladly took a nice chunk of change there. So if the Steelers no longer see it working on their end they'll either come back and ask for a reduction or release him. Which is what they did.

GodfatherofSoul
03-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Just heard on sports radio that there's not much interest in him on the free market. Said he's getting offers for 1/2 his last contract. Could we get him back?

Dwinsgames
03-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Just heard on sports radio that there's not much interest in him on the free market. Said he's getting offers for 1/2 his last contract. Could we get him back?

would be nice

Spike
03-18-2013, 12:52 PM
scraps might be all he's gonna get

James Harrison 'coldest name' at NFL meetings

SI's Peter King calls free agent James Harrison the "coldest name" at this week's league meetings.

Ten Things I Think I Think

1. I think this is the coldest name of them all here at the NFL Meetings: James Harrison. Cannot find anyone admitting to being interested in the former Steeler. It seems if he wants to play this year, he'll have to do it for less than half of what he was supposed to make for the Steelers.

He should have taken the cut the Steelers were offering.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130318/jake-long-nfc-west-nfl-free-agency-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihp

zulater
03-18-2013, 12:57 PM
scraps might be all he's gonna get

James Harrison 'coldest name' at NFL meetings

SI's Peter King calls free agent James Harrison the "coldest name" at this week's league meetings.

Ten Things I Think I Think

1. I think this is the coldest name of them all here at the NFL Meetings: James Harrison. Cannot find anyone admitting to being interested in the former Steeler. It seems if he wants to play this year, he'll have to do it for less than half of what he was supposed to make for the Steelers.

He should have taken the cut the Steelers were offering.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130318/jake-long-nfc-west-nfl-free-agency-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihp

Again this was pretty much predicatable. Harrison's agent did a poor job advising him when he let him walk away from the Steelers final offer. That's the best he was ever going to get for 2013, and I doubt very much it's still on the table even if Harrison would come back now.

NJarhead
03-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Don't do it. If he signs with them and gets it out of his system, he'll still sign that one day contract to retire a Steeler and all will be forgiven. It always seems to go that way.

Spike
03-18-2013, 02:16 PM
you know what I say...greatest Fathead mural, evar!

http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/Fathead/RealBig_Mural_Blue_Living_Temp?layer=comp&wid=628&hei=628&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95,1&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.5,0.2,0,0&iccEmbed=0&$product_template=is{Fathead/12-20436_nfl_james_harrison_superbowl_td_mural?scl=1% 26$layer_1_src%3dis{Fathead/shim%3fscl%3d1}}

Craic
03-18-2013, 02:57 PM

You gotta remember, he was already a Raven for a while. This makes all the sense in the world for him.

tube517
03-18-2013, 03:13 PM
He never played a down for them. He was cut before he could have a chance

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 2

Craic
03-18-2013, 03:56 PM
He never played a down for them. He was cut before he could have a chance

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 2

That's true, but he kows the facilities, a few people still on the team, etc. I'd rather go somewhere like that, than to a place I'd never been before. Especially if I know they are one of the few teams with the same mentality I had. It's not like Rod Woodson going there.

tube517
03-18-2013, 06:04 PM
That's true, but he kows the facilities, a few people still on the team, etc. I'd rather go somewhere like that, than to a place I'd never been before. Especially if I know they are one of the few teams with the same mentality I had. It's not like Rod Woodson going there.

The real reason he is interested in the Ravens: His old coach at Kent State is there.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/67280/harrisons-personal-connection-to-ravens

Dwinsgames
03-18-2013, 06:11 PM
The real reason he is interested in the Ravens: His old coach at Kent State is there.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/67280/harrisons-personal-connection-to-ravens

send the Ravens a gallon of Gator aid for Pees ... get James Home on a cap friendly deal of 2 Mill a year and 200k per sack incentive

Craic
03-18-2013, 06:32 PM

I wouldn't say the real ​reason. It's another reason. Probably a much better reason. But one doesn't negate the other.

Shoes
03-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Doesn't seem like there is much interest in James...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21906022/report-james-harrison-is-drawing-little-interest-in-free-agency

Craic
03-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Doesn't seem like there is much interest in James...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21906022/report-james-harrison-is-drawing-little-interest-in-free-agency

Hey, if he wants to come back with his tail between his legs and fight for the OLB position again, more power to him. I bet he's feeling pretty foolish at the moment.

tube517
03-18-2013, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't say the real ​reason. It's another reason. Probably a much better reason. But one doesn't negate the other.

Agreed. I wasn't implying it was negating what you said. Merely enforcing it. I was posting it for those who didn't know about it, which included me.

Craic
03-18-2013, 09:43 PM
Agreed. I wasn't implying it was negating what you said. Merely enforcing it. I was posting it for those who didn't know about it, which included me.

Ahh, :hatsoff: carry on!

salamander
03-18-2013, 09:59 PM
I would gladly take him back if he wanted to rejoin the Steelers.

Seven
03-18-2013, 10:00 PM
From the beginning I've thought there was a chance James would return on a lowered salary. Of course, that's still a long way from happening but I don't take Harrison for the type who would automatically rule out returning to the Steelers because of pride. If the Steelers are willing to match what other teams are offering (at this point, not much) I feel like he would jump at the chance to come back. That's just how I feel about it I guess.

SteelerFanInStl
03-18-2013, 10:03 PM
Hey, if he wants to come back with his tail between his legs and fight for the OLB position again, more power to him. I bet he's feeling pretty foolish at the moment.

Thankfully I think that most Steeler fans don't feel like you do and we would welcome James back with open arms.

That 'fight for the OLB position' that you speak of would last for all of about 1 minute. :sofunny:

Craic
03-19-2013, 12:41 AM
Thankfully I think that most Steeler fans don't feel like you do and we would welcome James back with open arms.

That 'fight for the OLB position' that you speak of would last for all of about 1 minute. :sofunny:

Really? So, 31 other teams are wrong. He's still got it enough to be a starter on any team in the NFL, right? Yeah, thought not. If he wanted to come back, it'd be for a lot less money than he would've made otherwise. Hence, tail between the legs. And no, it would be foolish to simply offer the position back up to him on a silver platter. He would have to earn it. Not saying he wouldn't or couldn't. It'd just be foolish of the coaches to give it to him.

I mean, he was passed up for Paul Kruger, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, jason Hunter, Antwan Barnes, Lawrence Sidbury, Quentin Groves, Connor Barwin, and Erik Walden. But we'll welcome him back with open arms? And then we complain about the coaching staff holding on to players that are too old?

:sofunny:

Seven
03-19-2013, 12:46 AM
Really? So, 31 other teams are wrong. He's still got it enough to be a starter on any team in the NFL, right? Yeah, thought not. If he wanted to come back, it'd be for a lot less money than he would've made otherwise. Hence, tail between the legs. And no, it would be foolish to simply offer the position back up to him on a silver platter. He would have to earn it. Not saying he wouldn't or couldn't. It'd just be foolish of the coaches to give it to him.

I mean, he was passed up for Paul Kruger, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, jason Hunter, Antwan Barnes, Lawrence Sidbury, Quentin Groves, Connor Barwin, and Erik Walden. But we'll welcome him back with open arms? And then we complain about the coaching staff holding on to players that are too old?

Yeah, I'd absolutely welcome him back but by no means should we just hand him the job. I was hoping Worilds would push him or Woodley this season before we decided to cut Harrison. No reason that would change now.

Steeldude
03-19-2013, 02:55 AM

Simply by showing up he would earn it. Worilds isn't even close to being 10% of what Harrison is on the field at ROLB. Woodley is the one who should be earning his spot. The coaches gave Hampton and Kiesel their starting spots based on tenure, not ability. So why not do the same for a player who has shown he is the only one who can play ROLB?

I get what you saying though. IMO, every year each position should be open.

Seven
03-19-2013, 03:23 AM
Simply by showing up he would earn it. Worilds isn't even close to being 10% of what Harrison is on the field at ROLB. Woodley is the one who should be earning his spot. The coaches gave Hampton and Kiesel their starting spots based on tenure, not ability. So why not do the same for a player who has shown he is the only one who can play ROLB?

I think it's important to remember that when Joey Porter left most of us had major doubts about James Harrison. Hell, I'd be willing to bet most fans thought Harrison didn't stand a chance to start for more than a few games before we gave the nod to Timmons. Is Jason Worilds going to come in and set the league on fire like James did? Probably not. But I can never understand why so many Steelers fans are so quick to label a young guy ineffective.

zulater
03-19-2013, 05:06 AM

Keisel was the Steelers best defensive end last year. He most certainly earned his spot on the field. Hampton had a slow start, but by seasons end he too was playing at a competent level.

While personally I would have liked to have seen more of McClendon, he's undersized, and maybe the fear was that he'd wear down if given too many snaps at NT?

zulater
03-19-2013, 05:19 AM
I think it's important to remember that when Joey Porter left most of us had major doubts about James Harrison. Hell, I'd be willing to bet most fans thought Harrison didn't stand a chance to start for more than a few games before we gave the nod to Timmons. Is Jason Worilds going to come in and set the league on fire like James did? Probably not. But I can never understand why so many Steelers fans are so quick to label a young guy ineffective.

Worildis has had several start in place of Harrison and always resembled Claude Raines at ROLB. Virtually all of his positive stats have been accrued at LOLB, where he's not matched up on a OT.

Harrison on the other hand subbed for Porter several times before Porter was cut, and was dominant in every case.

LOLB and ROLB aren't interchangable in LeBeau's defense. You have to possess a lot more strenght, agility, and over all ability to play ROLB. If it were just that easy Woodley would be flipped to ROLB, and there's no thought of that is there?

On a related but different topic, this is why every year when Kevin Greene is a Hall of Fame finalist I get a little pissed, and probably am the only Steeler fan hoping against his selection. Not because i have any personal anomisity towards Kevin, because I liked the guy. But because while Kevin Greene was a good player, Gregg Lloyd was an exceptional player. Greene couldn't carry Lloyd's jock when they were both in Pittsburgh. While Greene was a good weak side pass rusher, Lloyd was a dominant overall linebacker, who excelled in every facet of the game. Line up Lloyd or Harrison in their prime as a weak side rusher and they get 20+ sacks a year.

And Lloyd in his prime not only killed it against the run, but he also was exceptional against the pass in coverage.

end of rant

Seven
03-19-2013, 06:46 AM
Worildis has had several start in place of Harrison and always resembled Claude Raines at ROLB. Virtually all of his positive stats have been accrued at LOLB, where he's not matched up on a OT.

Harrison on the other hand subbed for Porter several times before Porter was cut, and was dominant in every case.

LOLB and ROLB aren't interchangable in LeBeau's defense. You have to possess a lot more strenght, agility, and over all ability to play ROLB. If it were just that easy Woodley would be flipped to ROLB, and there's no thought of that is there?

On a related but different topic, this is why every year when Kevin Greene is a Hall of Fame finalist I get a little pissed, and probably am the only Steeler fan hoping against his selection. Not because i have any personal anomisity towards Kevin, because I liked the guy. But because while Kevin Greene was a good player, Gregg Lloyd was an exceptional player. Greene couldn't carry Lloyd's jock when they were both in Pittsburgh. While Greene was a good weak side pass rusher, Lloyd was a dominant overall linebacker, who excelled in every facet of the game. Line up Lloyd or Harrison in their prime as a weak side rusher and they get 20+ sacks a year.

And Lloyd in his prime not only killed it against the run, but he also was exceptional against the pass in coverage.

end of rant

I don't recall dominance from Harrison when he played for Porter. I remember exactly one play from him on defense prior to us losing Joey. What I do remember, is fans on every message board saying Harrison was a solid backup who had weaknesses that wouldn't allow for him to succeed as a fulltime starter at right outside linebacker.

Also, I think the idea that LeBeau doesn't believe his linebackers are interchangable is overstated if not largely false. If that were the case, wouldn't we employ a SSLB/WSLB system instead of ROLB/LOLB? I realize the majority of the time the tight end is aligned on Woodley's side but if the team was that concerned about it, would we not swap OLB assignments due to offensive personnel?

zulater
03-19-2013, 07:20 AM
I don't recall dominance from Harrison when he played for Porter. I remember exactly one play from him on defense prior to us losing Joey. What I do remember, is fans on every message board saying Harrison was a solid backup who had weaknesses that wouldn't allow for him to succeed as a fulltime starter at right outside linebacker.

Also, I think the idea that LeBeau doesn't believe his linebackers are interchangable is overstated if not largely false. If that were the case, wouldn't we employ a SSLB/WSLB system instead of ROLB/LOLB? I realize the majority of the time the tight end is aligned on Woodley's side but if the team was that concerned about it, would we not swap OLB assignments due to offensive personnel?

Harrison only started one game at ROLB before Porter left and excelled that game. When Porter was ejected for a pre game fight in 2004 against the Browns. He had a sack, six tackles ( 5 solo) a qb hurry and a pass defensed. He also started 3 games for an injured Haggans in 2005. In those games he also excelled. Against the chargers he had an interception ( 25 yard return) 6 tackles, 3 for a loss, and a hurry and a pass defensed. Against the Jags he had 7 tackles, 1 sack and two qb hurries. The following week against the Bengals he had 5 tackles, 2 for a loss, 2 qb hurries and a pass defensed. He had one start in 2006 and had 8 tackles in that game.

Cowher really missed the boat on Harrison. :doh:

And as far as I can recollect Woodley's never been tried at ROLB.

It's not just about stats. When Harrison got on the field he was noticable, or at least to me he always was. Even when he wasn't making the play he impacted and influenced the play, mopre often than not to the Steelers advantage.

With Jason, he's had his moments, particularly in place of Woodley, where you can see some NFL game. But in the couple games he was tried in place of Harrison he was overwhelmed, and then injured. Thus they took Timmons out of his position and plugged him in place of Harrison.

In fact right there should tell you how much more difficult it is to play ROLB in the Steelers defense. Everyone always thought that Timmons had skills that would translate to the outside. But when put in place of 92 at ROLB Lawrence really struggled. And Timmons is 5x the player Woridis is imo.

SteelerFanInStl
03-19-2013, 07:55 AM

Did I say anything about other teams? No, I'm talking about the Steelers. You know what happens in free agency with older players, especially ones coming off injuries.

No matter how hard you try to deny it, there's not another player on the Steelers who's even close to James at ROLB. As someone said previously, James 'earns' the starting job when he walks in the door.

zulater
03-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Did I say anything about other teams? No, I'm talking about the Steelers.

No matter how hard you try to deny it, there's not another player on the Steelers who's even close to James at ROLB. As someone said previously, James 'earns' the starting job when he walks in the door.

Of course he would start on the Steelers as soon as he walked in the door. Any so called open competition would be a sham, just a face saver for Woridis.

Seven
03-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Harrison only started one game at ROLB before Porter left and excelled that game. When Porter was ejected for a pre game fight in 2004 against the Browns. He had a sack, six tackles ( 5 solo) a qb hurry and a pass defensed. He also started 3 games for an injured Haggans in 2005. In those games he also excelled. Against the chargers he had an interception ( 25 yard return) 6 tackles, 3 for a loss, and a hurry and a pass defensed. Against the Jags he had 7 tackles, 1 sack and two qb hurries. The following week against the Bengals he had 5 tackles, 2 for a loss, 2 qb hurries and a pass defensed. He had one start in 2006 and had 8 tackles in that game.

It's not just about stats. When Harrison got on the field he was noticable, or at least to me he always was. Even when he wasn't making the play he impacted and influenced the play, mopre often than not to the Steelers advantage.

With Jason, he's had his moments, particularly in place of Woodley, where you can see some NFL game. But in the couple games he was tried in place of Harrison he was overwhelmed, and then injured. Thus they took Timmons out of his position and plugged him in place of Harrison.

In fact right there should tell you how much more difficult it is to play ROLB in the Steelers defense. Everyone always thought that Timmons had skills that would translate to the outside. But when put in place of 92 at ROLB Lawrence really struggled. And Timmons is 5x the player Woridis is imo.

I looked at outside linebacker on Rewind pretty extensively last season (albeit mostly watching Woodley) and really didn't think Worilds played as poorly on the right as you are suggesting. But fair enough, I guess we'll see come fall if he can play the position or not considering it doesn't look like the Steelers are going to land anyone else worthwhile unless Harrison returns.

Craic
03-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Did I say anything about other teams? No, I'm talking about the Steelers. You know what happens in free agency with older players, especially ones coming off injuries.

I didn't say you were referring to any other teams. I was pointing out that James is not the LB he used to be. He had problems setting the edge all year last year. Over the last two years his production as plummeted. No passes defended (as opposed to averaging a little over three for the four years before that), no ints (averaged at least 1 a year), forced fumbles have plummeted to two a yearfrom an average of six and a half per year, sacks have increasingly dwindled from 2008 where he had sixteen, to ten in 09 and 10, to nine in 2011, and six last year. Total tackles over the last two years are 70 percent of what they were, and as for games played, he's a quarter of the season in 11, and almost that much in 12, not to mention that when he came back, he wasn't even close to really being able to play for another four or five games.

You might say, "But that last line explains all the rest." Yeah, and it also explains why I think he shouldn't just be "given" the job if he comes back. His body is breaking, like many players in their thirties. So either we make the move now to see if Worlids can step up and play, or we wait another year or two and let Ben get that much older and the window that much smaller for another shot at the SB with him. Sorry, I'm not so enamored with Harrison of the present, especially since no names were able to come in and relieve him in the middle of the season and our defense played just as well without him as with him when he was on the sidelines (not in shape due to injury).

Your falling into the same trap others have, depending on players rather than scheme. Lebeau made the changes last year and schemed out of our major defaults. I will trust his system over a thirty something player that hasn't proved he can remain healthy and play at a consistently high level over the last two years. The Steelers know that. Every other team in the NFL knows that (Hence, the list of names), so I fail to understand why you think he should just be "handed" a position that chances are, he'll have to "hand" back when he gets injured this year AGAIN, and then since it was handed to him, come in and play once more at forty, fifty percent of what he once was. And no, that does not make him better than Worlids at that point. More experienced? Sure. Able to put himself in a position to make a play based on that experience? Sure. The only way to fix that, is to give Worlids the time on the field, which brings us right back to the beginning.

Craic
03-19-2013, 03:46 PM
I looked at outside linebacker on Rewind pretty extensively last season (albeit mostly watching Woodley) and really didn't think Worilds played as poorly on the right as you are suggesting. But fair enough, I guess we'll see come fall if he can play the position or not considering it doesn't look like the Steelers are going to land anyone else worthwhile unless Harrison returns.

I think most people are taking Harrisons' stellar years, and then using that as a measuring stick against Worilds. Don't get me wrong, I think will end up being the same kind of LB that Haggans and Foote were, placeholders until the next big name came along. Interesting however, that we won a SB with those placeholders. Foote's game changed when he matured as a football player, so I don't think of him that way anymore.

Anyway, I think Worilds will be able to fill the role of ROLB that LeBeau's scheme demands, and really, that's all I care about.

Steeldude
03-19-2013, 05:46 PM
I think most people are taking Harrisons' stellar years, and then using that as a measuring stick against Worilds. Don't get me wrong, I think will end up being the same kind of LB that Haggans and Foote were, placeholders until the next big name came along. Interesting however, that we won a SB with those placeholders. Foote's game changed when he matured as a football player, so I don't think of him that way anymore.

Anyway, I think Worilds will be able to fill the role of ROLB that LeBeau's scheme demands, and really, that's all I care about.

But there will be a huge drop-off. Worilds struggles at ROLB. What also hurts is there is no one on the team who can provide pressure and make plays like Harrison did from the LB spot.

I certainly hope Worilds turns out better than Foote.

Dwinsgames
03-19-2013, 06:13 PM

really ?

you do not remember the Cleveland game where Porter got tossed during pregame warm ups and Harrison had a great game in his place and slammed the Browns fan who ran onto the field ?

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t26/castnbash/HarrisonfireslamJpg.jpg

zulater
03-19-2013, 06:50 PM

No, we all realize the Harrison of 2007-10 is no more. But we also realize the 2012 version of Harrison controlled the edge, and was a force against the run. We also realize the 2012 Harrison finished strong and had 6 sacks in the final 7 games.

He's no longer dominant and elite, but he was still pretty damn good. And Jasson W has yet to show anything at ROLB.

Seven
03-19-2013, 09:49 PM
really ?

you do not remember the Cleveland game where Porter got tossed during pregame warm ups and Harrison had a great game in his place and slammed the Browns fan who ran onto the field ?

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t26/castnbash/HarrisonfireslamJpg.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the entire roster slayed the Browns that day. I took that performance with a grain of salt. And of course I remember the fan slam, but that doesn't indicate to me a player is going to be successful on the field.

- - - Updated - - -

I tend to agree. I'm not sold on his ceiling being so low, but I could see you being correct.

XxKnightxX
03-19-2013, 10:37 PM

When Harrison came in for Haggans. He raised my eyebrow and I didn't like when Haggans came in, but then I read about Harrison being stubborn and uncoachable.

Craic
03-19-2013, 10:54 PM
No, we all realize the Harrison of 2007-10 is no more. But we also realize the 2012 version of Harrison controlled the edge, and was a force against the run. We also realize the 2012 Harrison finished strong and had 6 sacks in the final 7 games.

He's no longer dominant and elite, but he was still pretty damn good. And Jasson W has yet to show anything at ROLB.

Controlled the edge? Go read the game threads again - or the after game threads about how people were complaining that he wasn't able to do that exact thing. I also wouldn't be bragging about sacks against Cleveland (2x) Cincinnati, Dallas, Baltimore and San Diego.

I mean, San Diego allowed fourth most sacks, Cincinnati the seventh most sacks, Baltimore the thirteenth most, and Dallas and Cleveland were tied for the sixteenth most. Bragging about six sacks against those teams is like a guy bragging that he got tongued by Tom Brady. It's expected. There's nothing special about it.

Dwinsgames
03-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Controlled the edge? Go read the game threads again - or the after game threads about how people were complaining that he wasn't able to do that exact thing. I also wouldn't be bragging about sacks against Cleveland (2x) Cincinnati, Dallas, Baltimore and San Diego.

I mean, San Diego allowed fourth most sacks, Cincinnati the seventh most sacks, Baltimore the thirteenth most, and Dallas and Cleveland were tied for the sixteenth most. Bragging about six sacks against those teams is like a guy bragging that he got tongued by Tom Brady. It's expected. There's nothing special about it.

Joe Thomas was not the problem with Cleveland inability to keep their QB upright , and Joe Thomas is who Harrison was working against vs Cleveland ... just sayin

Craic
03-19-2013, 11:51 PM
Joe Thomas was not the problem with Cleveland inability to keep their QB upright , and Joe Thomas is who Harrison was working against vs Cleveland ... just sayin

And LB's never move? LB's never stunt? LB's never flip? Nope, don't buy it.

Seven
03-19-2013, 11:57 PM

This is a mjaor part of the reason I have an issue with Zu's argument that Worilds can succeed at LOLB but not ROLB. It's not like the ROLB is going to square up with the LT all day. Offensive formations are different from snap to snap, linebackers execute stunts, etc... I guess there is some validity to the idea that against running calls your ROLB is going to face the LT, but isn't the RT generally a better run blocker, anyway? And don't most NFL teams run much more to their right? I feel like individual matchups get overplayed when evaluating pass rushers. Just my opinion though, it's definitely up for debate.

Dwinsgames
03-19-2013, 11:57 PM

I would have to see the play again ( or the play transcript ) as I do not remember specifically but Harrison lines up opposite Joe Thomas and that is who he normally works against the LT ( granted not every play ) but most times

steel9guy
03-20-2013, 08:22 PM
I think Harrison either goes to baltimore or comes back to us. Just don't see many teams being interested in him right now. If he does go to baltimore he is one of the very few players I can not hate. The guy did a ton for us and his Superbowl 43 moment trumps anything he'd ever do with another team. I think he can still play at a high level. Bring him back!

Seven
03-20-2013, 09:38 PM
I think Harrison either goes to baltimore or comes back to us. Just don't see many teams being interested in him right now. If he does go to baltimore he is one of the very few players I can not hate. The guy did a ton for us and his Superbowl 43 moment trumps anything he'd ever do with another team. I think he can still play at a high level. Bring him back!

I agree that Baltimore and Pittsburgh are the most likely destinations for him. But I feel like the Eagles could have interest, too. I'm surprised the Colts chose both Erik Walden and Lawrence Sidbury over him.

As far as hating him or not in a Ravens uniform, I feel like I wouldn't be able to... but I felt like that about Max Talbot, too.

Chidi29
03-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Complete side note on Harrison that may have been brought up when he was cut. So apologies if it has been.

But there is no way we were offering a restructure of his contract and he turned it down. There would be no reason for him to turn away guaranteed money he'd get right away. We had to have given him the ultimatum. Take a pay cut or we're going to cut you. Has to be.

Craic
03-20-2013, 11:25 PM
Complete side note on Harrison that may have been brought up when he was cut. So apologies if it has been.

But there is no way we were offering a restructure of his contract and he turned it down. There would be no reason for him to turn away guaranteed money he'd get right away. We had to have given him the ultimatum. Take a pay cut or we're going to cut you. Has to be.

That's my guess, and why I also think we won't be offering him a contract again. Could be wrong. Hope I'm wrong. We'll see. And yes, I would love to see Harrison in B & G again. I still think he has something to offer. I just don't think he has as much to offer as others seem to be making it out.

Chidi29
03-20-2013, 11:26 PM
That's my guess, and why I also think we won't be offering him a contract again. Could be wrong. Hope I'm wrong. We'll see. And yes, I would love to see Harrison in B & G again. I still think he has something to offer. I just don't think he has as much to offer as others seem to be making it out.

With how bad this market is, he's not going to find big money anywhere. So he'll be in our price range. Whether he wants to come back and whether we want him back are different stories. I doubt he returns.

Chidi29
03-21-2013, 12:15 AM
Other thought I had. I would love to sign Shaun Phillips. Veteran guy who's been very productive that you know you can get cheap because the market is so dead right now. Some OLBs have been overpaid (Connor Barwin) but pass rushers on the whole have been undervalued and Phillips' obviously won't get a mega-deal. 2 yr/7 mil deal with like a 2 million signing bonus, something like that. 9.5 sacks in 2012 and has had 7+ sacks in all but two of his nine years in the league.

tube517
03-21-2013, 05:13 AM
Other thought I had. I would love to sign Shaun Phillips. Veteran guy who's been very productive that you know you can get cheap because the market is so dead right now. Some OLBs have been overpaid (Connor Barwin) but pass rushers on the whole have been undervalued and Phillips' obviously won't get a mega-deal. 2 yr/7 mil deal with like a 2 million signing bonus, something like that. 9.5 sacks in 2012 and has had 7+ sacks in all but two of his nine years in the league.

Ironically, he replaced Harrison in the 2011 Pro Bowl.

And, who are you? :chuckle: Welcome back!

zulater
03-21-2013, 05:22 AM

There's never been any dispute that he was in fact offered a significant pay cut. No one knows the exact number, but the most popular number being bandied about is that he was offered a 30% pay cut on what he was scheduled to receive for the 2013 season per the terms of his existing contract.

One other rumor I heard is that the pay cut being offered was about 50%, but with fairly reachable incentives he could have got up to 70% of his originally scheduled salary with a decent season.

Either way , assuming it was along those lines, that's still likely to be the best offer he'll see this spring.

Dwinsgames
03-21-2013, 10:17 AM
the problem he faces now in terms of a return to the Steelers is the offer they made him before will not be the offer they would make him today and that has little to do with their interest in having him on the roster and everything to do with over all cost ...

since he was released the cap hit incurred in doing such would have to count as part of his cost when offering him a contract so instead of 70% of his old deal or even the lower rate of 50% that has been spoken of we are probably looking at something closer to 30-40 % of his old deal to help offset the hit they took for releasing him to begin with ....

The Steelers made the move to help offset cost vs the cap , nothing has changed .... they are taking a cap hit for James without him being on the roster as it is ... adding him to the roster via a new deal would put him on the books twice ... they would have to add those figures together to be equal or less than their original offer to make it worthwhile to them ... that would be a slap in the face bigger than the initial slap in the face James thinks he took with the first lower offer that caused him to walk ..... ( via a release by not coming to terms )

that in itself would make it difficult for the Steelers to make him an offer close to what anyone else would offer ( even if less than what the Steelers originally offered )

just sayin (

st33lersguy
03-21-2013, 04:02 PM
The Steelers should start considering bringing Harrison back for half his original salary for no other reason than to provide depth and mentor anyone we draft early. At this point, desperate for a job, he would likely take it

Spike
03-22-2013, 06:34 PM
The Steelers should start considering bringing Harrison back for half his original salary

Get the vet minimum template out...........come back James... It's OK, you know you want to