PDA

View Full Version : Still no extension for Steelers OLB Woodley‎

polamalubeast
08-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Still no extension for Steelers OLB Woodley‎

Steelers outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley said Saturday he isn't frustrated about not receiving a contract extension in a tight financial market highlighted by NFL owners accounting for every dollar.

Although teams such as Denver, Philadelphia and Tennessee found creative ways to sign linebacker Elvis Dumervil, quarterback Kevin Kolb and running back Chris Johnson, respectively, to new deals, despite 2010 being an uncapped year and the uncertainty of a lockout in 2011, Woodley said he didn't consider holding out.

"No chance at all. Holding out only sets me back from helping this team win. Can't help my team win sitting at home," Woodley said after yesterday morning's practice at Saint Vincent College. "I'll never sit out. I'm not going to pout like that."

Prior to the opening of camp, Woodley sounded off to Yahoo Sports not only about the lack of a contract offer, but also regarding the lack of communication between the Steelers and his agent about a new deal.

"It's kind of jacked up," Woodley said at the time. "... I'm not going to lie. I was a little disappointed they didn't offer anything at all. I felt that was a little weird.

"With me, no conversations ever happened. That's the crazy thing — we don't have any conversation going on."

Asked yesterday if talks have commenced, Woodley replied, "Couldn't tell you."

Woodley sent out mixed messages after the Steelers' first training camp practice. He attempted to downplay what he said earlier, when he compared Kolb's situation with his own.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_692959.html

And here are some comments from Charlie Batch on the situation of Woodley

Steelers quarterback and player rep Charlie Batch said Woodley is a victim of circumstance.

Batch agrees that Woodley, who recorded 25 sacks the past two seasons, deserves a new contract. However, Batch said the constraints of the current system encourage teams like the Steelers to wait until Woodley becomes an unrestricted free agent two years from now.

"With no salary cap right now you need six years to be an unrestricted free agent. LaMarr is going into (year) four so they have him for another two years," Batch said. "I heard talk about him possibly leaving via free agency at the end of the season. That's not going to happen. They still have a franchise tag so LaMarr is not going anywhere, but it is just a matter of making sure we are doing it right. And the right thing is to give him a deal, but it is not going to happen as the language is right now with no salary cap in place."

steeldevil
08-01-2010, 07:32 PM
not funny... I think I skipped a beat right there...:upyours:

Killer
08-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Your attention-whoring headlines are worse than Florio's.

all lies

Ban him mods

cheezheadsteeler
08-01-2010, 07:36 PM
I agree, I do not like the wording in the title. Does Lamarr think he requested a trade?

polamalubeast
08-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Ok, I'm sorry .... I wanted to make a joke but it was very bad .... I'm sorry.

Replace my title if its possible.

Still no extension for Steelers OLB Woodley

salamander
08-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Not cool, man. Not cool. :nono:

Steeldude
08-01-2010, 08:10 PM
killer, excellent avatar. walking tall with joe don baker is a classic. the remake with the rock sucked.

Psycho Ward 86
08-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Ok, I'm sorry .... I wanted to make a joke but it was very bad .... I'm sorry.

Replace my title if its possible.

Still no extension for Steelers OLB Woodley

Dont be, i thought it was hilarious

tony hipchest
08-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Dont be, i thought it was hilarious
go figure. you both should be. the weak attempt at humor completely sucked and fell on its face.

but if lame makes you laugh, then have at it...

(via PM of course)

tony hipchest
08-02-2010, 06:13 PM
woodley via twitter-

@LaMarrWoodley (https://twitter.com/LaMarrWoodley) Negotiations for contract extension is over. 50/50 if I'm wearing black and gold next year

Chidi29
08-02-2010, 06:23 PM
What creative way did Denver use to sign Dumervil? Looks to me like he got the ton of guaranteed money that he was looking for. The same for Kolb.

polamalubeast
08-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Steelers quarterback and player rep Charlie Batch said Woodley is a victim of circumstance.

Batch agrees that Woodley, who recorded 25 sacks the past two seasons, deserves a new contract. However, Batch said the constraints of the current system encourage teams like the Steelers to wait until Woodley becomes an unrestricted free agent two years from now.

"With no salary cap right now you need six years to be an unrestricted free agent. LaMarr is going into (year) four so they have him for another two years," Batch said. "I heard talk about him possibly leaving via free agency at the end of the season. That's not going to happen. They still have a franchise tag so LaMarr is not going anywhere, but it is just a matter of making sure we are doing it right. And the right thing is to give him a deal, but it is not going to happen as the language is right now with no salary cap in place."

tony hipchest
08-02-2010, 06:39 PM
What creative way did Denver use to sign Dumervil? Looks to me like he got the ton of guaranteed money that he was looking for. The same for Kolb.woodleys contract could only increase by 30% (his base is $550,000 +.30X550,000 = 165,000)

so really the only way to get it done is to pay him about $60,000,000 with about 55 mil of that up front and guaranteed and the rest spread out as base salary over the course of the contract, meaning that if he were hurt over the course of the next 3 years, the steelers would be screwed. they would be assuming WAY too much risk. thats simply not the way they do business and if there is any franchise tag next year, they are better off using that for 2 years.

Chidi29
08-02-2010, 06:50 PM
woodleys contract could only increase by 30% (his base is $550,000 +.30X550,000 = 165,000)

so really the only way to get it done is to pay him about $60,000,000 with about 55 mil of that up front and guaranteed and the rest spread out as base salary over the course of the contract, meaning that if he were hurt over the course of the next 3 years, the steelers would be screwed. they would be assuming WAY too much risk. thats simply not the way they do business and if there is any franchise tag next year, they are better off using that for 2 years.

I agree and have made that point numerous times.

I'm just saying that Denver and Philly did nothing creative. They gave in and game the guy a ton of guaranteed money (Be it for one year or a long-term deal). The 49ers were the only ones who did anything a little different. Maybe I don't understand the whole idea (In fact, I probably don't), but it doesn't sound like anything ultra-creative. Unless they can cut him before the second guaranteed sum comes around and they don't have to pay it.

chucoblack&gold
08-02-2010, 10:42 PM
pay the man!

steelerdude15
08-03-2010, 12:56 AM
It's not going to happen for a while.