PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Retread Year

NCSteeler
03-15-2013, 08:15 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/15/steelers-bring-back-matt-spaeth/

Matt Spaeth resigns with Steelers.

A solid "role" player but that's about it.

Dwinsgames
03-15-2013, 08:17 PM
a solid paycheck receiver , other than that .... well sorry thats all I got

Shoes
03-15-2013, 08:20 PM
He's a role player all right.....I remember him best for pissing on a fire hydrant! :chuckle:

stillers4me
03-15-2013, 08:23 PM
How many years before Mike Wallace comes crawling back?

86WARD
03-15-2013, 08:25 PM
He is FUCKING HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE!

polamalubeast
03-15-2013, 08:38 PM
http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/attachments/xj-x308-xj8-xjr-27/31028-silly-thought-comments-welcome-ah_picard_facepalm-jpg?dateline=1358959381

Dwinsgames
03-15-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm really not disappointed with this signing. Welcome back to the Burgh, Matt.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't say he's THAT bad...

I wouldn't either , I would however argue he may be worse

steelreserve
03-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Couldn't block, couldn't catch, couldn't get open, couldn't run ... the most vivid memories I have of him are a couple of times when he was wide open and caught a pass for like 9 yards, then instead of turning and running for an easy 25-yard gain, he backpedaled a few steps cringing in fear of a big hit and didn't even make a first down. And of course got clobbered anyway by giving the safety all day to tee off on him. And that's the MOST positive thing I remember about that guy.

Yeah. Welcome back indeed.

st33lersguy
03-15-2013, 08:57 PM
:puke:
Talk about waste of cap space

tube517
03-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Really? LOL. Get Skippy back and that would reunite the pisser/lookout duo.

Fast forward to 2014 where Wallace, Harrison, Colon, Lewis all come back.

SteelerFanInStl
03-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Why????? He sucks!!! This off season is just killing me. Cutting good players, letting good players go without even an offer and then not signing anyone to replace the players that we let walk.

The only players that we seem to want to sign are old f'ers who can't play.

Yea, I'm frustrated. :(

86WARD
03-15-2013, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't either , I would however argue he may be worse

Lol...so true...

Spike
03-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeth!

Steelers agreed to terms with TE Matt Spaeth on a two-year contract.

"@ESPNChiBears TE Matt Spaeth agrees to terms with the #Steelers" Was the 13th-ranked free agent TE

SteelerFanInStl
03-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeth!

Steelers agreed to terms with TE Matt Spaeth on a two-year contract.

"@ESPNChiBears TE Matt Spaeth agrees to terms with the #Steelers" Was the 13th-ranked free agent TE

That's pretty much bottom of the barrel. :no:

steelerdude15
03-15-2013, 09:59 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/15/steelers-bring-back-matt-spaeth/

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY

GBMelBlount
03-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Ouch.

steelreserve
03-15-2013, 11:15 PM
Now we're stuck with this clown for two years? I missed that part. D'oh.

pepsyman1
03-16-2013, 02:45 AM
I can't fathom why try would resign such a useless player. I think there's a soda machine in the front lobby that would do a better job.

86WARD
03-16-2013, 05:07 AM
Picking up Chicago's trash.

TMC
03-16-2013, 07:07 AM
I really do not have a problem bringing Spaeth back. See, the Steelers have lost 3 UFAs this season. They lost Wallace, Lewis, and Mendenhall. All three signed contracts for enough to generate compensatory picks next season. They added Bruce Gradkowski to a 3-year deal. So, that washes out the comp pick for Mendenhall. I have little doubt that Wallace's contract will generate a 3rd round pick next season and I damn sure do not want to give that away for some middle of the road free agent.

Why is that important? Because it means we can sign 1 free agent to a contract over $1M. All the other deals we sign need to be with players that are released by other teams and do not find their way to free agency because their contract ran out. That is simply being smart. We should protect that 3rd round pick. Would a better 3rd TE be nice? Sure. But, be honest, we are NOT going to find a Heath Miller in free agency. The whole sad sack list of TE free agents does not offer much. Who is out there? Brandon Myers? Ben Watson?

Sorry, we can sign 1 more UFA before we throw away that 3rd round pick. I would rather have them chase a guy like Victor Butler and give me a potential starting pass rusher than throw that spot away on a 2nd or 3rd tight end. Spaeth was considered one of the better blocking TEs in the league. He is okay as a receiver. Good enough for 2 TE sets.

steeldawg
03-16-2013, 07:47 AM

Well now i see why we are clearing up alot of cap room, we landed Spaeth! :sarcasm:

plenewken
03-16-2013, 07:56 AM
If Spaeth is all we can get to fill our salary cap gap, we're in deep doo-doo.

Back to focusing on the Penguins, and sorry for the intrusion.

Austin87
03-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Speath!!!!

steelerdude15
03-16-2013, 09:27 AM
You know, I think we're being told something and that something is that Heath will not be ready for the beginning of the season and that Matt will start until he comes back and may even get cut after that. Of course, I wouldn't oppose Matt getting cut....

Mojouw
03-16-2013, 09:32 AM
This was an almost totally predictable move once Spaeth got cut. I doubt that Heath Miller even plays in 2013, much less has any impact. He had a massive knee injury that completely tore multiple ligaments and he is not Adrian Peterson. That leaves Pope and Paulson. Spaeth is marginally better than Pope. So sign him and now you can field a team that can run a 2 TE set and the Steelers are not "forced" to draft a TE. Typical move. They do it year in and year out.

drunkinirishman
03-16-2013, 10:39 AM
I can live with Spaeth. Needed depth and probably on the cheap. I did not get to see him play in Chicago at all, but I am assuming he improved from the time he was here. I agree with TMC that the important thing is to protect the comp pick. We need those picks to rebuild. This is also why I would not be upset if Sanders leaves. He will be gone next year if he has a good year anyways unless you want to overpay. Although the FO has had some subpar drafts recently, they have found some decent wrs in the draft who contributed early. I would be more than happy about having an extra third round pick in these next two drafts. It will take multiple drafts to restock our team and purge high cap older players.

Heinz Hitman
03-16-2013, 12:37 PM
What a miserable signing. The main memory I have of this loser is getting the start one game when Heath was hurt and dropping the would be game-winning TD in the end zone. Useless.

Bluecoat96
03-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Spaeth will be a back up to Paulson to start the year.

Seven
03-18-2013, 09:40 PM
I realize I'm in the minority but I think this is a good move. The guy lacks hands but I never took much issue with his blocking.

salamander
03-18-2013, 09:57 PM
We need TE depth while Heath recovers. I have no issues with the Steelers bringing back Spaeth.

Spike
03-22-2013, 05:04 PM
speaking of retreads....more pans in the fire

"Old fart” Urlacher looking for a place to win

Urlacher is not the only decorated vet who was jettisoned this off-season. Dwight Freeney, the 33 year-old defensive end for the Indianapolis Colts, is on the market, after 11 years as a stalwart with the team. James Harrison, the NFL’s “bad guy,” was released by the Pittsburgh Steelers at age 34 after two Super Bowl wins, a Defensive Player of the Year award and perhaps the greatest single play in Super Bowl history.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/monteburke/2013/03/21/brian-urlachers-release-from-the-chicago-bears-proves-once-again-that-the-nfl-is-no-place-for-nostalgia/