PDA

View Full Version : Foote: "Pittsburgh is my home"

stillers4me
03-14-2013, 09:49 PM
At the time, Larry Foote (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/team/roster/larry-foote/8bbeec8c-cae8-4d79-8c84-eb94ce439442/) thought it was the perfect move. The Steelers’ linebacker had seen his playing time dwindle with Lawrence Timmons stepping in to his starting inside linebacker spot. And more than anything, he wanted to be a starter, knowing he still had a lot left in the tank.

With one-year remaining on his contract, Foote made it known he wanted to start and would not object if the Steelers released him to give him the opportunity to do so elsewhere.

He got his wish, being released in May, 2009, and it looked like the perfect scenario came in to play when he signed a one-year deal with his hometown team, the Detroit Lions.

But it took only one season for Foote to realize, as far as football goes, Pittsburgh was home. When he became a free agent after the season with the Lions, he signed a three-year deal to return to the Steelers.

Foote would have been able to hit the open market again this year, but before he became a free agent the Steelers re-signed him to a new contract.

“This is home,” said Foote. “The bottom line is this is home.............

read more @ http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Foote-Pittsburgh-is-my-home/56dd80bb-ee5e-4ce6-a2d7-478d6f4fa7e5

Seven
03-14-2013, 09:58 PM
I really have a hard time believing Foote when he says things like this. I remember hearing a radio interview with him before we brought him back from Detroit and in the midst of that free agency period he went on and on about how badly he wanted to be an Arizona Cardinal. He said something like "Pittsburgh wants me back but I really want to be a Cardinal." Then a few days later after the Steelers had brought him back he went on and on about how Pittsburgh was where he wanted to be all along. I don't take this stuff personally, I realize he probably said he wanted to go to AZ because there was more potential money there, but still, this "home" stuff gets a little old from guys who would feel otherwise if they could earn a penny more somewhere else. Again, not saying I blame them at all, it's just sort of annoying.

GBMelBlount
03-14-2013, 10:25 PM
I really have a hard time believing Foote when he says things like this. I remember hearing a radio interview with him before we brought him back from Detroit and in the midst of that free agency period he went on and on about how badly he wanted to be an Arizona Cardinal. He said something like "Pittsburgh wants me back but I really want to be a Cardinal." Then a few days later after the Steelers had brought him back he went on and on about how Pittsburgh was where he wanted to be all along. I don't take this stuff personally, I realize he probably said he wanted to go to AZ because there was more potential money there, but still, this "home" stuff gets a little old from guys who would feel otherwise if they could earn a penny more somewhere else. Again, not saying I blame them at all, it's just sort of annoying.

It is the nature of the "business" of the game these days I guess.

Still.....I am glad that we have Foote as he provides at least some stability in a time of seeming turmoil.

Steeldude
03-15-2013, 06:23 AM
Does anyone really believe that? It's more like, "No one wants me except the Steelers. The lowly Lions didn't even want me after showcasing my poor abilities as a LB".

FAB802
03-15-2013, 12:20 PM
It's his home because nobody else would have him. He's a solid citizen and veteran presence, but this team is in need of a LOT of younger defensive players. If they can figure out a way to get them on the field in less than two years.

SteelMember
03-15-2013, 01:04 PM
It is the nature of the "business" of the game these days I guess.

Still.....I am glad that we have Foote as he provides at least some stability in a time of seeming turmoil.

If by stability, you mean mediocrity...

Dwinsgames
03-15-2013, 02:01 PM

then the entire team is full of mediocrity , Footes stats ( and play ) ranked high on the def effort of 2013 ..a def that was one of the best in the league in 2013 I might add ....

how many players had more sacks ?

how many players had more tackles ?

if you are looking to upgrade fine by me , however there are weaker spots that would /should be addressed before looking at Larry ...

I am glad he is on the roster , we could do a lot worse especially at his pricetag .......

Steeldude
03-15-2013, 02:49 PM
then the entire team is full of mediocrity , Footes stats ( and play ) ranked high on the def effort of 2013 ..a def that was one of the best in the league in 2013 I might add ....

how many players had more sacks ?

how many players had more tackles ?

if you are looking to upgrade fine by me , however there are weaker spots that would /should be addressed before looking at Larry ...

I am glad he is on the roster , we could do a lot worse especially at his pricetag .......

Where you get the tackles is important. Foote is far too often out of position. His pass coverage is poor. He waits for ball carriers to come to him rather than going to them. He is also pushed back too often by the ball carrier. He should have never been re-signed. This is a classic example of the Steelers hanging on to sub-par players for too long while letting better players walk(Harrison). The Steelers should have never been in this position. What used to be a strong staple(LBs) in Steelers' history is now a neglected mess. This is what happened to the O-line. While the Steelers obsessed over WRs, they let the O-line dwindle into a group of average to below average players.

Dwinsgames
03-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Where you get the tackles is important. Foote is far too often out of position. His pass coverage is poor. He waits for ball carriers to come to him rather than going to them. He is also pushed back too often by the ball carrier. He should have never been re-signed. This is a classic example of the Steelers hanging on to sub-par players for too long while letting better players walk(Harrison). The Steelers should have never been in this position. What used to be a strong staple(LBs) in Steelers' history is now a neglected mess. This is what happened to the O-line. While the Steelers obsessed over WRs, they let the O-line dwindle into a group of average to below average players.

I do believe his tackles for a loss is close to the team lead as well .... ( Timmons 10 , Foote 8 )

I know Larry Foote is an easy target on this board , he is never around to defend himself .... but believe me we could do a whole lot worse

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/defense-tackles-for-loss

GBMelBlount
03-15-2013, 05:15 PM

Actually I was thinking mediocre with occasional flashes of "pretty good". LOL

- - - Updated - - -

I do believe his tackles for a loss is close to the team lead as well .... ( Timmons 10 , Foote 8 )

I know Larry Foote is an easy target on this board , he is never around to defend himself .... but believe me we could do a whole lot worse

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/defense-tackles-for-loss

That was really what I was getting at D....we could do a lot worse.

SteelMember
03-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Actually I was thinking mediocre with occasional flashes of "pretty good". LOL

:lol: exactly.