PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to bring in OLB Victor Butler for a visit

Hindes204
03-13-2013, 10:55 PM
I watched the Cowbous closely this year and have watched him play. He was shadowed by the starters in Dallas, but I'm telling you, this guy is a beast. I would be ecstatic if we were able to bring this guy aboard

Seven
03-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Yeah, you already know my thoughts on him from the other thread. Scouting department doing its job on this one. I hope it works out too. I would feel very confident going into camp with he, Worilds and Woodley competing for starting roles.

steevil13
03-14-2013, 01:08 AM
Thanks Hindes204... Gonna have to check him out. I just joined this forum... My Wife and I are Big Time Steelers fans, Retired AF and was also stationed at LRAFB in the 80s... What you guys think about the New QB we just signed that is a Pittsburgh Native?

salamander
03-14-2013, 06:24 AM
I've never heard of him... I'll have to check it out.

Steeldude
03-14-2013, 06:26 AM
Here is his NFL Combine report http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/victor-butler?id=80725

Note: The Jets are also interested in Butler. I am sure their cap situation is better

GBMelBlount
03-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Here is his NFL Combine report http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/victor-butler?id=80725

Note: The Jets are also interested in Butler. I am sure their cap situation is better

No Doubt....hopefully they (jets) have other more pressing needs.

His 40 looks a little slow...just sayin.

Well, if we can't afford him at least we have Woodley locked up pretty tight for the next few years. :dizzy:

steeldevil
03-14-2013, 07:50 AM
When I saw his name on the FA list I just knew we would look at him. I remember seeing some of the Cowgirls games last year and thinking he looked good.

charlie murphy
03-14-2013, 08:06 AM
he s a beast....it would be a great addition.....

Hindes204
03-14-2013, 08:19 AM
Thanks Hindes204... Gonna have to check him out. I just joined this forum... My Wife and I are Big Time Steelers fans, Retired AF and was also stationed at LRAFB in the 80s... What you guys think about the New QB we just signed that is a Pittsburgh Native?

Welcome to the board!!! This is my second time at LRAFB, just PCSd here from Travis. Thank you for your service...what was your AFSC

the Eagles are looking at him too, not sure what thier cap situation is

No Doubt....hopefully they (jets) have other more pressing needs.

His 40 looks a little slow...just sayin.

Well, if we can't afford him at least we have Woodley locked up pretty tight for the next few years. :dizzy:

40 times can be decieving, the guy is quick off the line. He would be a definite upgrade from Worilds, and has potential to become really good

TMC
03-14-2013, 09:00 AM
I would be more concerned with his KEI, 10-yard splits, and his shuttle times. The KEI measures explosion. Players with a KEI over 70 are considered explosive guys that have a better chance of getting to the QB. His was a 67. Good, not great. His 10 yard split was a 1.60. That will give you an idea of how quickly he comes off the line and can get to the QB. Again, good, not great. His shuttle time will give you an idea of how well he can bend and turn when asked to cover. His was a 4.40. Good, not great.

What does that mean? Nothing now. He should have put the ability on tape against NFL competition. That is more important than combine numbers. The combine numbers are used to help project a player. He is not a proven starter, but he has proven he can play in this league. Combine numbers are fine, but often players out play those numbers (and many do not play to that level). Aaron Smith's workout numbers were bad. So were Jared Allens. Clark Haggans workout numbers were worse than some DTs, yet he kept his butt in the league for a decade and has a ring.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me also add this, I surely hope some of these other Steeler free agents start signing. If the Steelers sign Butler and no other Steeler FA signs, then they will lose the compensatory compensation for Wallace.

Pristas
03-14-2013, 09:52 AM
- - - Updated - - -

Let me also add this, I surely hope some of these other Steeler free agents start signing. If the Steelers sign Butler and no other Steeler FA signs, then they will lose the compensatory compensation for Wallace.

Can you explain this?

TMC
03-14-2013, 12:45 PM
Can you explain this?

Compensatory picks are awarded for losses in free agency. The first rule is, you have to lose more players than you sign. If you sign more than you lose and the contracts qualify (any player under $1M per season does not qualify), then you do not get comp picks, even if you lose stars and sign average players. The Steelers have lost 2 free agents, Mendenhall ($2.5M per season) and Wallace ($12M per season). They have added Gradkowski. Now, if Gradkowski makes more than $1M per season, he will eliminate Mendenhall. So, any other signing over $1M means they do not get the 3rd round pick and it would likely be reduced to a 7th round pick (which would be a net value loss pick).

Now, RELEASED players do not count in this. William Gay was released. He is a non-factor for next years comp picks. If they ink Beanie Wells, he was released. He does not count. If someone signs Colon, he does not count. Same with Harrison.

I hope that explains it.

Pristas
03-14-2013, 01:21 PM
It pretty much makes sense now. But damn, that's complicated. So if we lose Lewis, he would count towards our net loss correct? Does it matter if a player is restricted or unrestricted?

Texasteel
03-14-2013, 01:56 PM
It pretty much makes sense now. But damn, that's complicated. So if we lose Lewis, he would count towards our net loss correct? Does it matter if a player is restricted or unrestricted?

I could be wrong, but I think with a restricted player the team that signs him has to give up the compensation. Based on the offer we gave that particular player.

Steeldude
03-14-2013, 03:59 PM
If Butler turns out to be the real deal the Steelers might be able to dump Woodley next season

TMC
03-14-2013, 05:00 PM

As Texassteel said, restricted players have compensation attached, so they do not count. Only unrestricted free agents that hit the market because their deal ended or they voided seasons or failed to pick up an extension. Now, if a guy like Stevenson Sylvester, who was not tendered by the Steelers, gets signed, he does not count. When we failed to tender him, he became an UFA.

The upside to losing Lewis, they can now sign Butler to a deal worth up to $5M and still see the comp pick from Wallace.

Ryan Mundy also signed with the Giants, let's hope he got a couple dollars.

Spike
03-15-2013, 01:52 PM
He's still in town....tick...tick...tick

The New Orleans Saints would be high on the target list for Cowboys free-agent linebacker Victor Butler if he leaves Pittsburgh without a contract, according to a source.

The problem for the Saints is Butler may not leave Pittsburgh as the Steelers are pushing hard to land the 25-year-old linebacker.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/03/new_orleans_saints_would_be_hi.html

Hindes204
03-15-2013, 02:05 PM
I hope he stays, I watched him play all last year, he's got some serious potential

Steeldude
03-15-2013, 02:35 PM
I hope he stays, I watched him play all last year, he's got some serious potential

Agreed, but unfortunately money talks. If they can't sign Butler then I hope Harrison comes back. Didn't the Steelers offer Harrison $7,000,000? It's probably dropped to 4 to 5 million now

GBMelBlount
03-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Agreed, but unfortunately money talks. If they can't sign Butler then I hope Harrison comes back. Didn't the Steelers offer Harrison $7,000,000? It's probably dropped to 4 to 5 million now

So how does Butler compare to Harrison.

SteelerFanInStl
03-15-2013, 05:22 PM
They need to sign this guy.

The talk now is that James might sign with Baltimore. I just don't know if I will be able to handle that. :yuck:

Austin87
03-15-2013, 05:43 PM
The talk now is that James might sign with Baltimore. I just don't know if I will be able to handle that. :yuck:

You and me both. Especially if it is a smallish contract.

86WARD
03-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Butler left already...

Hindes204
03-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Rumor is he's asking 5-5.5M....the steelers aren't going to pay that

Dwinsgames
03-15-2013, 06:11 PM
if that rumor is correct he wants more than what we offered Harrison .........

Spike
03-15-2013, 06:43 PM
whole lotta nuthin

No deals for Steelers after FA visits

The Pittsburgh Steelers hosted a small group of visiting free agents Friday, but all left without a contract. Sounds like a theme in the AFC North today.

According to Gerry Dulac of The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, running back Beanie Wells, outside linebacker Victor Butler and tight end Kellen Davis all finished their visits without any contract talks with the Steelers. But that doesn't rule out the possibility of negotiations later.

Each would address a void for the Steelers. Pittsburgh is seeking a featured running back after Rashard Mendenhall signed with Arizona, an outside linebacker to replace recently released James Harrison, and a tight end to fill in while Heath Miller recovers from knee surgery.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/67268/no-deals-from-steelers-after-free-agent-visits

NCSteeler
03-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Steelers don't overpay because a guy is leaving for another visit.

SteelerFanInStl
03-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Rumor is he's asking 5-5.5M....the steelers aren't going to pay that

He's not worth that.