PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Have Interest In Former Cardinals RB Beanie Wells

86WARD
03-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Wells, 24, was the Cardinals first round draft pick in 2009. He was released on Monday after four seasons that included him missing several games to injury. Over four years, he played in 51 games and started 23 of them. He gained 2,471 yards and scored 24 touchdowns.
"I'm only 24,” Wells said following his release (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/20130311arizona-cardinals-release-beanie-wells.html), per azcentral.com. “The injuries will get rectified. I'll continue to enjoy what I do."
The Steelers have very limited cap space of which to work with, and while they could indeed have interest in Wells, the only way that they would sign him would be if he agreed to a minimum, or near minimum, contract.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/03/report-steelers-have-interest-in-former-cardinald-rb-beanie-wells/

polamalubeast
03-12-2013, 08:56 PM
I do not want another RB slow

one side only
03-13-2013, 10:13 AM
I'd rather they sign another Cardinals cast off, LaRod Stephens-Howling. He can return kicks as well as be a back up running back.

SteelerFanInStl
03-13-2013, 10:38 AM
I don't want Wells.

Dwinsgames
03-13-2013, 10:48 AM
I don't want Wells.

I am confused by this to be honest ....

1) Wells is not the kind of Back Haley normally covets

2) Wells is not your typical zone blocking scheme kind of RB

the only thing that makes sense is they are looking to kick the tires on him in fear of someone snagging Redman and then going to draft Haleys guy in Barner or Davis .... otherwise I am totally confused

SteelerFanInStl
03-13-2013, 12:28 PM
I am confused by this to be honest ....

1) Wells is not the kind of Back Haley normally covets

2) Wells is not your typical zone blocking scheme kind of RB

the only thing that makes sense is they are looking to kick the tires on him in fear of someone snagging Redman and then going to draft Haleys guy in Barner or Davis .... otherwise I am totally confused

That's my thinking too. He doesn't fit the system and he's been injured most of his time in the NFL.

I want to see a smaller, faster back.

Heinz Hitman
03-13-2013, 03:11 PM
No thanks. Hope it's just Haley throwing him a bone by bringing him in for a visit to get his name out there...

Pristas
03-13-2013, 04:24 PM
This smells of an agent trying to drum up some story to gain interest over a wasted Arizona pick.

st33lersguy
03-13-2013, 04:34 PM
I hope they aren't trying to sign him to be the new starter

Steeldude
03-13-2013, 04:48 PM
That would be a waste of cap room. Wells is too injury prone

Craic
03-13-2013, 04:59 PM
That's my thinking too. He doesn't fit the system and he's been injured most of his time in the NFL.

I want to see a smaller, faster back.

Oh Lord . . . and hear all about "Fast Willie 2?"

SteelerFanInStl
03-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Oh Lord . . . and here all about "Fast Willie 2?"

A smaller, faster back fits our system better. Notice that I said smaller, not small. He still needs to be a 200-210 lb guy.

vader29
03-13-2013, 05:16 PM
I still would love to see Steven Jackson in the black and gold for a year or two.

fansince'76
03-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Oh Lord . . . and here all about "Fast Willie 2?"

He sux when you take away his long runs! :chuckle:

TMC
03-13-2013, 05:38 PM
I really do not see how the size of a runningback makes him a better fit for a system. It has more to do with his skills. Adrian Peterson is 220-pounds. I do not care what system I am running, I take him in a heartbeat. I would also take Ray Rice, Chris Johnson, Doug Martin, Arian Foster, Matt Forte, and a host of other guys over what we have. I could not even begin to tell you the height and weight of any of those guys.

The bottom line, we need a feature back. Furthermore, right now, in free agency, we kind of need to be looking at runningbacks that were released from other teams and not the ones that just entered free agency because their contracts ran out. Why? The Steelers lost Mendenhall. They signed the QB from Cincy. They also lost Wallace to a megadeal that should net a 3rd round comp pick next year. You sign as many or more normal free agents than you lose, bye bye comp pick.

So, I would look heavily at any player released. Beanie Wells was released. He ran a 4.38 forty at his pro day. He is a fair receiver. Better than what we have and some insurance (even if it is Geikoish) at the RB spot in case you cannot find one in the draft.

SteelerFanInStl
03-13-2013, 07:35 PM
I really do not see how the size of a runningback makes him a better fit for a system. It has more to do with his skills. Adrian Peterson is 220-pounds. I do not care what system I am running, I take him in a heartbeat. I would also take Ray Rice, Chris Johnson, Doug Martin, Arian Foster, Matt Forte, and a host of other guys over what we have. I could not even begin to tell you the height and weight of any of those guys.

The bottom line, we need a feature back. Furthermore, right now, in free agency, we kind of need to be looking at runningbacks that were released from other teams and not the ones that just entered free agency because their contracts ran out. Why? The Steelers lost Mendenhall. They signed the QB from Cincy. They also lost Wallace to a megadeal that should net a 3rd round comp pick next year. You sign as many or more normal free agents than you lose, bye bye comp pick.

So, I would look heavily at any player released. Beanie Wells was released. He ran a 4.38 forty at his pro day. He is a fair receiver. Better than what we have and some insurance (even if it is Geikoish) at the RB spot in case you cannot find one in the draft.

It has more to do with the speed and vision, not necessarily the size. Most of the guys that you mentioned are smaller than the RBs that we've been throwing out there. I'm just a bit tired of the "power" backs that can't hit the hole fast enough and always get caught from behind.

If Wells comes cheap, I'm willing to give him a chance.

st33lersguy
03-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Didn't we tender two people like Beanie Wells in Redman and Dwyer? How about a starter caliber RB

bayz101
03-13-2013, 08:04 PM
People talk smack about Wells but fail to realize he's had SEVERAL games with more rushing yards than ANY of our current runningbacks EVER had.

steeldawg
03-13-2013, 08:11 PM
i would give him a shot hes a good combo of power and speed and looking at our current stable of running backs im ready for some beanie.

TMC
03-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Didn't we tender two people like Beanie Wells in Redman and Dwyer? How about a starter caliber RB

Not really. Dwyer and Redman lack speed. Wells did run a sub-4.4 forty. Not that I am thrilled with him, but he does have some speed.

For me, I would rather try to land Lacy, Ball, or Lattimore in the draft. None are burners, but they all are complete backs.

slashsteel
03-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Steelers gave him a physical. I am sure we will know something either way soon.

Like TMC I am hoping to see a RB drafted. I am thinking 2nd round to secure who they want. We'll see.

I would be estatic if it was Ball BTW..........

Moose
03-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Well's knee too much of a risk factor. I don't believe the Steeler's will be interested.

86WARD
03-14-2013, 07:53 PM
I'd suffer through Redman and Dwyer to see Lattimore in 2014.

Spike
03-15-2013, 07:24 AM
For the love of God

Not Beanie, Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

so we're going replace Mendy with someone that was notorious for being injured in college and carried that over to the pros, lacks receiving and pass blocking ability, had a bad case of fumbleitis and tripped over the chalk lines so much he developed turf toe?

shoot me now!

Devilsdancefloor
03-15-2013, 07:52 AM
I'd suffer through Redman and Dwyer to see Lattimore in 2014.

this!!!

Spike
03-15-2013, 02:39 PM
welp - so much for all that blather - I told you he was damaged goods

Beanie Wells' 'bad wheel' quashing Steelers signing?

The Pittsburgh Steelers hosted Wells for a Friday visit, but a signing isn't likely to be forthcoming. One source tells the Post-Gazette that Wells was found to have a "bad wheel."

Although Wells did miss lose half of the 2012 season to a turf toe injury, it's a good bet that the knee is the "wheel" in question.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151119/article/beanie-wells-bad-wheel-quashing-steelers-signing

SteelerFanInStl
03-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Might as well just wait for the draft.