PDA

View Full Version : Update: Lewis to the Saints

Dwinsgames
03-12-2013, 12:38 PM
a friend told me today ( he has some NFL ties ) He heard the Steelers are not going to make Lewis an offer , His agent gave the Steelers a number and they have no interest in countering at that figure ....

no word on what that number was , but apparently to rich for their blood

no link just word of mouth so take it as such and treat it as you wish as far as credibility ( but I have found him to be a pretty reliable source in the past )

Psycho Ward 86
03-12-2013, 12:48 PM
there was also a big rumor around here about mike wallace to the bengals as a sure thing and now we havent even heard "wallace" and "bengals" in the same sentence at all so it might be something to take with a grain of salt.

GBMelBlount
03-12-2013, 02:34 PM
I heard from a reliable source that milli vanilli is getting back together. :chuckle:

- - - Updated - - -

On a serious note D, I REALLY hope we can keep Lewis but other than Ben I do not think there is a player on the Steelers who is not replaceable.

DarthSpartans20
03-12-2013, 03:17 PM
If this were to be true then I would assume they are going to draft CB very early.

GodfatherofSoul
03-12-2013, 03:25 PM
If this were to be true then I would assume they are going to draft CB very early.

Why even bother, it'd take a CB 2-3 years to start. Ugh, I thought all the maneuvering was about getting Lewis a deal :(

Dwinsgames
03-12-2013, 03:47 PM

Darth it came from Curt . I assume his buddy in the Chiefs organization who is friends with someone in the Steelers Origination leaked it to him ...

- - - Updated - - -

Psycho Ward 86
03-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Darth it came from Curt . I assume his buddy in the Chiefs organization who is friends with someone in the Steelers Origination leaked it to him ...

- - - Updated - - -

so this info is literally from a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend?

Dwinsgames
03-12-2013, 04:02 PM
so this info is literally from a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend?

not quite that long of a string of people but yes .... lets just say I trust the info at about a 95% accuracy rating based on prior info ..it is almost always accurate

Psycho Ward 86
03-12-2013, 04:03 PM
not quite that long of a string of people but yes .... lets just say I trust the info at about a 95% accuracy rating based on prior info ..it is almost always accurate

friend of a friend of a friend?

Dwinsgames
03-12-2013, 04:17 PM
friend of a friend of a friend?

pretty much

steelreserve
03-12-2013, 05:03 PM
Whether this is true or not, if Lewis wants us to back up the truck for him, we'd be wise to just step away and let him do what he wants. Going too far to hang on to players is what got us in the big cap hole to begin with, and we need to maybe tone it down and learn to roll with the punches if we're going to get back to normal. The current cast of players is turning over and there's only so much you can do to stop that. I like Lewis' potential, but he is far from a sure thing if we're talking something like 4 years and $36M. Sorry Keenan, but you are not the guy to get into a bidding war over.

KeiselPower99
03-12-2013, 06:05 PM
With the number of corners being released his requested numbers will be laughed at and someone else will be signed. Lewis will come back with his tail between his legs.

- - - Updated - - -

With the number of corners being released his requested numbers will be laughed at and someone else will be signed. Lewis will come back with his tail between his legs.

zulater
03-12-2013, 06:28 PM
KeiselPower99;363305]With the number of corners being released his requested numbers will be laughed at and someone else will be signed. Lewis will come back with his tail between his legs.

Lewis is young and talented, that always gets you a good offer. It's the guys who've hit 30 that have trouble getting market value.

Steeldude
03-12-2013, 06:58 PM
It's great that we develop players for the rest of the NFL. Let's see if the same happens for Heyward.

Psycho Ward 86
03-12-2013, 07:00 PM

- - - Updated - - -

what did he request?

BigNastyDefense
03-12-2013, 07:02 PM
I wanna keep Lewis because I believe he has the potential to be a shut down corner. However, there is no guarantee that he will be and he's only started one year. And while it was a very good year, it was also a contract year. The Steelers aren't going to back up the Brinks truck to his house, so if that's what he wants he'll be playing elsewhere.

I am sure the Steelers are willing to make a fair offer, but Lewis has to make a choice: competing for Super Bowls or taking the most money possible.

X-Terminator
03-12-2013, 08:07 PM
I wanna keep Lewis because I believe he has the potential to be a shut down corner. However, there is no guarantee that he will be and he's only started one year. And while it was a very good year, it was also a contract year. The Steelers aren't going to back up the Brinks truck to his house, so if that's what he wants he'll be playing elsewhere.

I am sure the Steelers are willing to make a fair offer, but Lewis has to make a choice: competing for Super Bowls or taking the most money possible.

It's time to face facts, people. Young players care about getting paid first, and winning Super Bowls second. That is the way it is. I'm sure Lewis is no different. There is no such thing as team loyalty among players, mainly because a team can cut them whenever they want and not pay them one thin dime. So they want to make as much money as they can in their first big contract, and if they play for a loser, they won't care, as long as the big paychecks keep coming in.

salamander
03-12-2013, 08:28 PM
It's time to face facts, people. Young players care about getting paid first, and winning Super Bowls second. That is the way it is. I'm sure Lewis is no different. There is no such thing as team loyalty among players, mainly because a team can cut them whenever they want and not pay them one thin dime. So they want to make as much money as they can in their first big contract, and if they play for a loser, they won't care, as long as the big paychecks keep coming in.

This. If not all, then probably at least 90% of players.

blackngldblood
03-13-2013, 12:58 AM

Absolutely! If players really cared about team and superbowls do you think Ellerbe and Kruger would have kicked rocks as fast as they did today? The ravens validated the other point by basically saying "Thanks Boldin for pretty much winning us a superbowl. You singlehandedly made Flacco a very rich man, now be a good boy and take a paycut. No? Well, see ya later. We can get a sixth round pick for ya!"

All this talking about the ravens makes me want to :puke:

- - - Updated - - -

Austin87
03-13-2013, 05:44 AM
I hope this is not true, we need to keep our young talent.

TMC
03-13-2013, 08:40 AM
There are not reports of Lewis flying around and visiting other teams. That is a good thing for the Steelers. It means he is not drawing that early, big $$$ interest. The longer he lingers, the less he will make.

Dwinsgames
03-13-2013, 02:53 PM
There are not reports of Lewis flying around and visiting other teams. That is a good thing for the Steelers. It means he is not drawing that early, big $$$ interest. The longer he lingers, the less he will make.

he is in New Orleans now

cold-hard-steel
03-13-2013, 03:40 PM
Let the hand play out fellas . Nobody knows for sure . I'm sure Mr . "hall of famer" has some pull on this one . Dick ain't no dummy , and i would beleive him before anyone else on Gods green earth .

TMC
03-13-2013, 03:52 PM
he is in New Orleans now

Yeah, and Derek Cox arrives tomorrow (I think). The Saints do not have a ton of cap space either (less than us in reality). So, unless he wants to give them a hometown discount, then I think the Steelers can get in on the action.

steel striker
03-13-2013, 08:09 PM
We really need to keep this guy because, thw thought of William Gay worries the crap out of me. I know Gay did improve some just before he left here but, still Lewis showed something in the last part of the season.

Dwinsgames
03-13-2013, 09:17 PM
We really need to keep this guy because, thw thought of William Gay worries the crap out of me. I know Gay did improve some just before he left here but, still Lewis showed something in the last part of the season.

Cortez Allen showed more and will be the starter if Lewis does not return leaving Gay as the nickle back ... you could do a whole lot worse than Gay in the nickle where he has excelled

Psycho Ward 86
03-13-2013, 09:26 PM
Cortez Allen showed more and will be the starter if Lewis does not return leaving Gay as the nickle back ... you could do a whole lot worse than Gay in the nickle where he has excelled

lol...whatever happened to you being cautious about guys like keenan for only having been good for 1 full season as a starter? cortez has only been a starter for 3 games

Dwinsgames
03-13-2013, 10:18 PM
lol...whatever happened to you being cautious about guys like keenan for only having been good for 1 full season as a starter? cortez has only been a starter for 3 games

3 games and created more turnovers than Lewis has in his career and more than Ike has in a couple years combined ... whats not to like ?

for the record I wanted Cortez to start last year , why would anything he had done since change my mind ?

as for keeping Lewis , i would be fine with it if his contract was low $$ figures and roster bonus's so if he does not turn out to be who they think he is or may be he could be cut loose without any huge risk or cap implications

Seven
03-13-2013, 10:19 PM
I really don't see why they wouldn't even extend an offer.

Dwinsgames
03-13-2013, 10:23 PM
I really don't see why they wouldn't even extend an offer.

I was told his agent gave the Steelers some numbers they where seeking and that was the end of the conversation ... the only conclusion I can draw from that is the numbers where way over what the Steelers value him at considering what they know they have in Allen

Seven
03-13-2013, 10:28 PM
I was told his agent gave the Steelers some numbers they where seeking and that was the end of the conversation ... the only conclusion I can draw from that is the numbers where way over what the Steelers value him at considering what they know they have in Allen

I really like Allen but I think assuming we "know" what we have in him is quite a stretch. I have a hard time believing the Steelers cut off communication after simply hearing numbers from an agent prior to Lewis even exploring the market. Chances are those numbers are going to go down significantly after discussions with other teams take place at which point it would be rather silly for the Steelers not to at least hear what other offers Lewis is getting and decide on matching or countering based on that.

Seven
03-13-2013, 10:34 PM
A friend just texted me and said he hears out of Cleveland that the Browns just signed Lewis. HIGHLY doubting this. Can anyone confirm/deny? Nothing about it online as far as I can find.

Dwinsgames
03-13-2013, 10:36 PM
A friend just texted me and said he hears out of Cleveland that the Browns just signed Lewis. HIGHLY doubting this. Can anyone confirm/deny? Nothing about it online as far as I can find.

had not even heard he was visiting the Browns , anything is possible ... the browns have been very active

Hindes204
03-13-2013, 10:37 PM

Seems highly unlikely

Seven
03-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Chalking it up to rumor. I mean he's been in Louisiana all day right? Nothing about it online and it's been ten minutes since I got that text.

blackngldblood
03-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Im not seeing anything on twitter about Lewis to browns. Not a peep anywhere else.

Dwinsgames
03-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Chalking it up to rumor. I mean he's been in Louisiana all day right? Nothing about it online and it's been ten minutes since I got that text.

probably just someone trying to make the connection because of Ray Horton being the D coord is my guess .... mind you it is a guess LOL

Psycho Ward 86
03-13-2013, 10:46 PM
3 games and created more turnovers than Lewis has in his career and more than Ike has in a couple years combined ... whats not to like ?

for the record I wanted Cortez to start last year , why would anything he had done since change my mind ?

as for keeping Lewis , i would be fine with it if his contract was low $$ figures and roster bonus's so if he does not turn out to be who they think he is or may be he could be cut loose without any huge risk or cap implications

thats cute. just dont contradict yourself in every other thread.

SteelerEmpire
03-13-2013, 10:47 PM
The salary cap is not worth squat, except to the greedy owners...

Seven
03-13-2013, 10:47 PM
probably just someone trying to make the connection because of Ray Horton being the D coord is my guess .... mind you it is a guess LOL

Yeah. I mean there were rumors online a couple days ago about interest from Cleveland but nothing beyond that.

Anyway, I really hope the Steelers haven't already closed the book on trying to retain him.

Dwinsgames
03-13-2013, 10:54 PM
thats cute. just dont contradict yourself in every other thread.

there was no contradiction .... I said I wouldnt back up the brinks truck for a guy who had 1 good year ..nothing has changed other than what you have preconceived in your own mind ...

I write short little things consisting of a sentence or two I do not explain my every thought on a player in a 3 paragraph short story ....

I have not changed my story or my mind

I welcome you to copy and paste the " contradictions" all in one post right here with this quoted for all to see , I would really like to see them ....

Psycho Ward 86
03-13-2013, 11:16 PM
there was no contradiction .... I said I wouldnt back up the brinks truck for a guy who had 1 good year ..nothing has changed other than what you have preconceived in your own mind ...

I write short little things consisting of a sentence or two I do not explain my every thought on a player in a 3 paragraph short story ....

I have not changed my story or my mind

I welcome you to copy and paste the " contradictions" all in one post right here with this quoted for all to see , I would really like to see them ....

you dont trust a player with 1 full season of success as a starter, and 2 successful season as a contributor. you trust a player with 3 starts in his career. lol.

Dwinsgames
03-13-2013, 11:56 PM
you dont trust a player with 1 full season of success as a starter, and 2 successful season as a contributor. you trust a player with 3 starts in his career. lol.

what do you not understand its about MONEY , no I wont over pay a guy who has 1 year of success ( you say he has a lot as a " contributor " I say thats a load of shit he did not play a lot Gay played over him so did McFadden making him the 4th option at CB most of the time in the burgh )

NO I would not over pay him and yes I trust Cortez Allen over him but no I do not need to pay him big bucks to do so as he is already under contract for low $$'s , I did not say back up the brinks truck and Pay Cortez Allen .....

you are getting lost in the $$$$$ or forgetting it has a bearing on what I am saying ... you honestly have to be smarter than that ( stop playing dumb ! )

Steeldude
03-14-2013, 07:08 AM
It's not surprising.

86WARD
03-14-2013, 07:41 AM
Options getting slimmer and slimmer for Lewis. Broncos and Chargers pretty much off the board now.

Psycho Ward 86
03-14-2013, 08:23 AM
what do you not understand its about MONEY , no I wont over pay a guy who has 1 year of success ( you say he has a lot as a " contributor " I say thats a load of shit he did not play a lot Gay played over him so did McFadden making him the 4th option at CB most of the time in the burgh )

NO I would not over pay him and yes I trust Cortez Allen over him but no I do not need to pay him big bucks to do so as he is already under contract for low $$'s , I did not say back up the brinks truck and Pay Cortez Allen .....

you are getting lost in the $$$$$ or forgetting it has a bearing on what I am saying ... you honestly have to be smarter than that ( stop playing dumb ! )

get your facts right and make them concise about the players before you pretend to make an accurate post. Lewis was the nickel corner 2 seasons ago and the starter last season. Nothing lower on the depth chart for one full half of his career...i didnt say anything about money. only that youre reasoning and high level of trust in cortez contradicts the fact that you value starting experience so much. i already said that before actually. i never even said once anywhere on the forum that i would break the bank for him. youve only been pointing out money as a factor when i point out your contradictory level of trust in allen for his 3 starts, and 12 games as a nickel over lewis' 17 starts and 16 as a nickel.

you honestly have to be smarter than that.

Stop playing dumb :)

Dwinsgames
03-14-2013, 09:30 AM
get your facts right and make them concise about the players before you pretend to make an accurate post. Lewis was the nickel corner 2 seasons ago and the starter last season. Nothing lower on the depth chart for one full half of his career...i didnt say anything about money. only that youre reasoning and high level of trust in cortez contradicts the fact that you value starting experience so much. i already said that before actually. i never even said once anywhere on the forum that i would break the bank for him. youve only been pointing out money as a factor when i point out your contradictory level of trust in allen for his 3 starts, and 12 games as a nickel over lewis' 17 starts and 16 as a nickel.

you honestly have to be smarter than that.

Stop playing dumb :)

you have to be kidding right ?

1) I wanted Allen over lewis last year ... he was better in preseason and TC in my eyes ...

2) Allen is not in need of big money to stay , Lewis is searching for that ....

3) Allen has shown in a smaller window of time to be the better playmaker in terms of creating turnovers ....

4) I said I would not back up the brinks truck to a 1 year starter when I have Allen waiting in the wings ... ( what is so fucking hard to understand ????? )

5) if anyone is making it up as they go along it is you , because it is your contention that you know what I am thinking even if I do not type it out for all to see ( interesting )

I SAID IT WAS ABOUT MONEY FROM THE START AND COULD GIVE 2 SHITS ON WHAT YOU THINK REMEMBER YOU ARE ATTACKING WHAT I SAID NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND....

thus money is a factor in what I have said follow the posts backwards and quit inferring your thoughts into my words ...

you honestly can not be that freaking dumb and frankly reading back through this you just want to start trouble is my thinking because it is crystal clear what I have said and the reasoning for such , you just can not seem to grasp it because your bringing your OPINION and trying to merge it with my thoughts

NJarhead
03-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Options getting slimmer and slimmer for Lewis. Broncos and Chargers pretty much off the board now.

This may be a pipe dream, but in light of the market, can we get a home town discount? lol

SteelerFanInStl
03-14-2013, 11:02 AM
you have to be kidding right ?

1) I wanted Allen over lewis last year ... he was better in preseason and TC in my eyes ...

2) Allen is not in need of big money to stay , Lewis is searching for that ....

3) Allen has shown in a smaller window of time to be the better playmaker in terms of creating turnovers ....

4) I said I would not back up the brinks truck to a 1 year starter when I have Allen waiting in the wings ... ( what is so fucking hard to understand ????? )

5) if anyone is making it up as they go along it is you , because it is your contention that you know what I am thinking even if I do not type it out for all to see ( interesting )

I SAID IT WAS ABOUT MONEY FROM THE START AND COULD GIVE 2 SHITS ON WHAT YOU THINK REMEMBER YOU ARE ATTACKING WHAT I SAID NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND....

thus money is a factor in what I have said follow the posts backwards and quit inferring your thoughts into my words ...

you honestly can not be that freaking dumb and frankly reading back through this you just want to start trouble is my thinking because it is crystal clear what I have said and the reasoning for such , you just can not seem to grasp it because your bringing your OPINION and trying to merge it with my thoughts

He did the same thing to me in the Harrison thread when I said that we shouldn't give Lewis a huge contract.

I finally just stop responding to him because all he was doing was trying to start something.

Dwinsgames
03-14-2013, 11:17 AM
He did the same thing to me in the Harrison thread when I said that we shouldn't give Lewis a huge contract.

I finally just stop responding to him because all he was doing was trying to start something.

I honestly do not get it .... perhaps it is a genetic flaw that if drama does not come about with someone on a daily basis they feel unheard or something I dunno ..

a few days back it was you , last week it was with Zu ... now with me ... I see a pattern forming here /shrug

I am done with it , its not worth my time getting upset over ( I dropped the F bomb when I am trying so hard to be a better person than that )

cold-hard-steel
03-14-2013, 11:24 AM
Wasn't Lewis and Wallace close buddies? It is all beginning to make sense now .

SteelerFanInStl
03-14-2013, 12:19 PM
I honestly do not get it .... perhaps it is a genetic flaw that if drama does not come about with someone on a daily basis they feel unheard or something I dunno ..

a few days back it was you , last week it was with Zu ... now with me ... I see a pattern forming here /shrug

I am done with it , its not worth my time getting upset over ( I dropped the F bomb when I am trying so hard to be a better person than that )

Unfortunately there a few people like that on this forum. I try to ignore them as much as possible.

I come here to discuss/learn about the Steelers. Not to argue.

Psycho Ward 86
03-14-2013, 01:46 PM
saints making a big push for nnamdhi asomugha! Led by Rob Ryan apparently. Says here that rob ryan gets the most out of his press man corners, something nnamdhi used to do when he was considered arguably the best. hope they get him

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000150694/article/new-orleans-saints-interested-in-nnamdi-asomugha

More good news. Ian Rapoport just tweeted the following:

"This cornerback market reminds me of 2004. Back to $3M to $5M range. Stunning. But given the salary cap flatness, maybe not shocking"

Mojouw
03-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Amazing how quickly things can change, now it looks like Lewis is as good as gone.

From rotoworld.com --

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Saints and free agent CB Keenan Lewis are "close" to a deal that could be finished on Thursday.

Lewis made the trip down to New Orleans for a visit on Wednesday. The soon-to-be 27-year-old played a lot of zone in Pittsburgh, but Saints DC Rob Ryan likes to play man. Lewis has good size at 6-foot and 208 pounds, so he can handle it. He and Jabari Greer would make a nice outside corner duo.
Related: Saints (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/nfl/no/saints)

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/312264779324596225)
Mar 14 - 2:17 PM

Psycho Ward 86
03-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Amazing how quickly things can change, now it looks like Lewis is as good as gone.

From rotoworld.com --

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Saints and free agent CB Keenan Lewis are "close" to a deal that could be finished on Thursday.

Lewis made the trip down to New Orleans for a visit on Wednesday. The soon-to-be 27-year-old played a lot of zone in Pittsburgh, but Saints DC Rob Ryan likes to play man. Lewis has good size at 6-foot and 208 pounds, so he can handle it. He and Jabari Greer would make a nice outside corner duo.
Related: Saints (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/nfl/no/saints)

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/312264779324596225)
Mar 14 - 2:17 PM

damn. wonder if he'll pull a ryan clark (remember when he was really close to a deal with the dolphins and resigned with us instead?) and come back to pittsburgh anyways lol. hope we at least get victor butler and doug legursky signed if we dont get lewis under contract

Mojouw
03-14-2013, 02:32 PM
The most troubling aspect of potentially losing Lewis, is that if you look at the way offensive schemes are going (look at what the Broncos just did); your defense better be 4 or 5 deep at corner w/ some quality. I just don't know if Taylor, Allen, Gay, and Brown is enough. Especially since Brown has been a non-factor so far and appears to have been passed by Allen in his development.

At the same time, I agree with others that I am not convinced backing up a dumptruck full of money to Lewis's house is the way to go either....

blackngldblood
03-14-2013, 02:51 PM
And he is gone. Posted on facebook he is now a Saint. Fairwell Lewis, wish you all the luck in the world.

86WARD
03-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Oh well...

GBMelBlount
03-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Wow

blackngldblood
03-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Man I really hoped releasing Harrison was a sure sign something was in the works for Lewis. Tough breaks, Have a lot of faith in Allen.

There really is no sense in developing corners over a period of four years if we're just gonna let em walk so easily. That guy was solid last year. What happens when Cortez hits the market???

steelreserve
03-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Well, that's crap. If they have any sense, they'll use some of this season's cap space to re-sign Allen so we don't go through the exact same thing next year.

Ah well. At least all the question marks in free agency are resolved early for us, and we can just concentrate on what's going to make the team better.

slashsteel
03-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Lewis signed a 5 year deal .. I think Network said 25 mil>? Anyways bye KL.

Moose
03-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Damn, looks to be an interesting draft, training camp and season. All we can do is have faith in the F.O. and them seeing things we don't.

steeldawg
03-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hindes204
03-14-2013, 04:35 PM
shit

JayC
03-14-2013, 04:56 PM
damn that sucks. kinda pissed we didn't resign him

TMC
03-14-2013, 04:57 PM
I wanted Lewis back. But, they could have easily fit the $5M a season, so it makes me think Lewis was not signed because they just did not want him back. We heard about a split locker room. I kind of figured it was Wallace because he was not paid, but Wallace and Lewis are friends, like long-time friends. Maybe Lewis was an issue as well. Not stating he was, but there has to be something more than money here.

- - - Updated - - -

And, Lewis could have also given the Saints a hometown discount since that is his hometown.

Psycho Ward 86
03-14-2013, 05:33 PM
wow, well he was surprisingly affordable. but were still looking like were in fine shape. 3 deep, and pending on a pretty high round pick in curtis brown. maybe we have a better chance at locking down victor butler and legursky now?

ALLD
03-14-2013, 05:50 PM

You know, I really never thought of it like that, but you are right. The NFL has turned into a marketing device rather than the sport it was intended to be. Can't wait for the first 8-8 team with a rookie QB to win it all and take the shine off.

86WARD
03-14-2013, 06:01 PM
I wanted Lewis back. But, they could have easily fit the $5M a season, so it makes me think Lewis was not signed because they just did not want him back. We heard about a split locker room. I kind of figured it was Wallace because he was not paid, but Wallace and Lewis are friends, like long-time friends. Maybe Lewis was an issue as well. Not stating he was, but there has to be something more than money here.

- - - Updated - - -

And, Lewis could have also given the Saints a hometown discount since that is his hometown.

Good thought...

steelreserve
03-14-2013, 06:15 PM
You know, I really never thought of it like that, but you are right. The NFL has turned into a marketing device rather than the sport it was intended to be. Can't wait for the first 8-8 team with a rookie QB to win it all and take the shine off.

Are you kidding? All the "casual fans" would think it was great, what an awesome underdog story, that's why the game is so fun to watch now, etc., etc. The sad part about the NFL's new brand of plastic football and all the marketing hype is that it works on people who don't know any better.

I can't blame a guy in a situation like Lewis' for trying to get every possible penny out of his first sizable contract. Sure he's "promising," but guys like him are also one awkward landing away from never making another penny in the league, or one bad game/falling-out with the coach away from being a career backup just because of the random breaks that happen. Sucks that he basically signed somewhere else for a number we could've afforded to pay, though.

Then on the other hand, you have the guys who are going to make money no matter what, they're just greedy.

DarthSpartans20
03-14-2013, 06:44 PM
wow, well he was surprisingly affordable. but were still looking like were in fine shape. 3 deep, and pending on a pretty high round pick in curtis brown. maybe we have a better chance at locking down victor butler and legursky now?

Allen, Gay, and Taylor. Take Curtis Brown out of the equation.He has shown little if any promise in tbe reps he has been given. They are gonna have to address the depth at the CB position whether through the draft or after the June 1st cap casualties. Can we honestly say that if Taylor went down again for some period of time, Allen, Gay, and Brown would be imposing to any QB in the league.Especially since our best pass rusher is no longer on the roster??

TMC
03-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Keenan Lewis said it was his "dream" to play for his hometown Saints. I doubt money was the deciding factor.

SMR
03-14-2013, 08:05 PM
This. If not all, then probably at least 90% of players.

If that's the case, loyalty doesn't exist anymore. This sucks big time! People are too arrogant to think "TEAM" and instead think, "ME".

Sigh...

Dwinsgames
03-14-2013, 08:13 PM
a friend told me today ( he has some NFL ties ) He heard the Steelers are not going to make Lewis an offer , His agent gave the Steelers a number and they have no interest in countering at that figure ....

no word on what that number was , but apparently to rich for their blood

no link just word of mouth so take it as such and treat it as you wish as far as credibility ( but I have found him to be a pretty reliable source in the past )

looks like the info was spot on

Psycho Ward 86
03-14-2013, 08:14 PM
If that's the case, loyalty doesn't exist anymore. This sucks big time! People are too arrogant to think "TEAM" and instead think, "ME".

Sigh...

its a game to the fans. meaning you and me. but its a business and a career for the players. they are no more selfish than normal people for going after bigger financial opportunities, really

Mojouw
03-14-2013, 08:19 PM

Sigh...

Why should the players demonstrate any loyalty? The teams do not. As soon as player's cap # or other guaranteed money gets too high relative to age, performance or some combination, the teams cut them without a second thought. All sports are a business. Those fortunate enough to be blessed with the skills needed to play professional sports are simply attempting to leverage that skill into the most cash possible in an incredibly short window of potential income earning time.

DarthSpartans20
03-14-2013, 08:33 PM

This.

Seven
03-14-2013, 09:45 PM

I would be pretty well surprised to learn that they didn't attempt to keep up with the numbers he was getting from other teams. But I guess we'll never know.

I'm starting to think this is a symbol of the way the Steelers want to start doing business for the next couple of years. Maybe they've decided now is the time to finally get out from under all of this cap pressure?

blackngldblood
03-15-2013, 02:39 AM
I would be pretty well surprised to learn that they didn't attempt to keep up with the numbers he was getting from other teams. But I guess we'll never know.

I'm starting to think this is a symbol of the way the Steelers want to start doing business for the next couple of years. Maybe they've decided now is the time to finally get out from under all of this cap pressure?

Lewis tweeted the Steelers made no offer to him. He obviously wants to be in New Orleans though. I'm starting to think maybe he was the guy calling out Woodley? Have we any speculation on who that guy was? To not even bother making him an offer is quite surprising. They didn't want him back at all for some unforseen reason.

LLT
03-15-2013, 03:16 AM
I think we are all over thinking this.

Simply....Lewis played well for ONE YEAR...and we were not going to gamble on rewarding one years worth of production with a large contract. The FO saw in Cortez Allen, what we all saw....a player with an incredibly high ceiling who ultimately will be twice the CB that Lewis could have been.