PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Steelers cut G Willie Colon

polamalubeast
03-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Gerry Dulac‏@gerrydulac

#Steelers expected to cut G Willie Colon today and designate him for June 1 release. Will save $5.5 in cap space.

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/311524503547174912

zulater
03-12-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm probably about the only one here bummed out about this. I like the cap savings, but Colon was really playing a high level when he was taken out by the Ravens. I wish he wouldn't have been targeted and cheap shotted by suggs last season.

polamalubeast
03-12-2013, 12:20 PM
I'm probably about the only one here bummed out about this. I like the cap savings, but Colon was really playing a high level when he was taken out by the Ravens. I wish he wouldn't have been targeted and cheap shotted by suggs last season.

True,but he is a injury prone since 2010....this is sad,but this is true

steelreserve
03-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Yeah, he's missed what, two and a half out of the last 3 years ... not a guy we should be counting on. Which is unfortunate, because I've grown to like the way he plays when healthy.

I wonder what we're planning on doing with all this cap space? I know the rookies take a couple million, but we've got quite a bit now.

Psycho Ward 86
03-12-2013, 12:35 PM

not at all. ive really grown on him as well. really wish the rest of our linemen could match his tenacity. but we need to start doing some damage control for the salary cap in the future and being the league leading franchise in contract restructures is not the way to do it. Were losing a good player, but this is a good cut. Extremely injury prone and expensive. This is going to help us lockdown our younger, more promising players

43Hitman
03-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Maybe we re-sign him for a lesser amount, we used to do that all the time with vets.

salamander
03-12-2013, 06:02 PM
It's a shame he couldn't stay healthy (regardless of how he got hurt). When healthy, he's definitely one of our better linemen.

lilyoder6
03-12-2013, 07:55 PM
the cut does give us some nice cap savings this yr.. but i read on steelersdepot i think, that it will create about 4 mil of dead money next yr

Craic
03-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Maybe we re-sign him for a lesser amount, we used to do that all the time with vets.

That'd be nice. Hope he goes and stays in shape. Gotta wonder if anyone else would sign him with the injuries he's had.

43Hitman
03-13-2013, 04:36 PM
That'd be nice. Hope he goes and stays in shape. Gotta wonder if anyone else would sign him with the injuries he's had.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking and hoping too, most teams will probably want to stay far away from him.

steeldawg
03-13-2013, 05:08 PM

No i like colon alot, ben has to be saying wtf! your cutting olineman dont sign my top reciever bring in a dink and dunk o coordinator! what are we doing to our franchise qb?

Count Steeler
03-13-2013, 06:20 PM
No i like colon alot, ben has to be saying wtf! your cutting olineman dont sign my top reciever bring in a dink and dunk o coordinator! what are we doing to our franchise qb?

Trying to make him play past 35. They also signed the more reliable Foster and cut the very absent Colon.

SteelerFanInStl
03-13-2013, 07:41 PM
I like Willie when he's healthy but he's never healthy. We've paid him far too much $$$ the past few years for the production that we've gotten.

Count Steeler
03-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Steelers release offensive lineman Willie Colon

The Steelers released offensive lineman Willie Colon today, as expected.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-release-offensive-lineman-willie-colon-679090/#ixzz2NTMkgG00

salamander
03-13-2013, 08:26 PM
So how long will it take for Ben to start wearing a #74 jersey like he did for Max Starks? :lol:

GBMelBlount
03-13-2013, 09:12 PM
I wonder if Colon made a million per game played.

Thank you for your limited service Willie and good luck.

steelreserve
03-14-2013, 11:50 AM

Heh, remember when we used the RFA tag on him, and his agent was shopping him around anyway telling teams "for only a first-round draft pick, you get a very good NFL lineman?" It was funny at the time, but now ... oh man, that's good for a belly laugh.

I wonder if Colon made a million per game played.

Thank you for your limited service Willie and good luck.

Over the past three years, it's probably closer to $2M-$3M per game played. Or looking at another way, $500K per holding penalty or false start.

Spike
03-15-2013, 07:33 AM
Can't make the club in the tub.

Sorry Willie, you had your moments

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1598051/willieburfictmakeout.gif

tube517
03-15-2013, 07:36 AM
So how long will it take for Ben to start wearing a #74 jersey like he did for Max Starks? :lol:

No. Ben would get flagged for false starts.

86WARD
03-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Colon signed with the Jets