PDA

View Full Version : Awesome camp notes from Steelers.com

Steel MD
08-01-2010, 01:01 PM
There is a poster on the steelers.com message board who posts excellent day by day notes from camp. I'm cut and pasting his first post below, it is quite long. It may be easier to just link his posts in the future. Enjoy!

vrabinec3 @ steelers.com:

The same disclaimer as every year. It’s only the first day of practice. If I say something bad about “your guy”, don’t take it personally. There’s no telling who gets serious at what point of the season among the veterans, and there’s no telling what affect first day nerves may have on a rookie. These notes are in chronological order. Sometimes you only get half of what happened because guys’ numbers are sometimes obstructed by the surrounding players or the fat dude sitting in front of me.

Jeff Reed is the first player down. That’s the first time in a while that a veteran was the first guy on the field at the first practice.

The next guys down are Kyle Jolly and Demetrius Taylor. Good hustle. These two better. The odds are against them.

The tight ends take a few flatfooted catches from the jugs machine. McHugh goes first. He catches the first five belt high, facing the machine. The next two balls get spit out at his ankles, and he makes nice, quick scoops on both. He takes one more in the chest, then turns to the side and catches the next five balls well placed, out front, then he turns the other way and catches the first one. The second one is a couple inches over his head, and it handcuffs him. The ball was a little high, but it was definitely catchable. It’s a drop. He catches the next two.

Spaeth takes a turn. Starts out square to the machine. He bobbles the first one at his waist, but holds on. Catches the next five, all at the chest. He still absorbs the ball well, but he has shortened up his motion so he doesn’t let the ball carry his hands as far as he used to which lets him tuck it away quicker. Smoother hands than McHugh. He turns to the side, the next ball is behind him and he makes a nice catch, contorting to scoop it from the small of his back. The next ball’s high and he pulls it down nicely. He looks the next two into his chest, then the following two are nice catches on a high passes. Turns to the other side. He catches the last three, one of which sailed over his head and he had to go up for it as high as he could.

Johnson’s next. He catches the first three, two in the chest and one off the hip. Numbers facemask, knees and one he scoops off the grass. Pretty good for him. Last year he dropped something like four out of the first seven. Maybe he worked on his hands. He turns to the side and catches the next eight balls, one a nice catch on a ball well over his head. He turns to the other side. And catches four in a row including one that was behind him and one that was high. Well, he’ll never be Antonio Gates, but he seems to have improved.

Miller takes his turn and shows us the surest hands in the business. Seven clean catches . . .

read more here: http://mboard.steelers.com/fanzone/mboard/news/89415

stillers4me
08-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Wow. That's impressive. I wonder if the guy is dictating into a digital recorder like doctors do.

tony hipchest
08-01-2010, 04:56 PM
vrabinec posted his notes at SF for several years. i extended him an invite a week or 2 ago, but so far it looks like he hasnt joined here yet.

lets hope he does, because his notes and attention to detail are top notch.

stillers4me
08-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Cool. I just invited him again this afternoon!

steeldevil
08-01-2010, 05:23 PM
wow these updates are amazing. :tt03:

xX-TSK-Xx
08-01-2010, 06:29 PM
I too remember vrabinec at the old site. He gave a lot of good training camp info.

hotrodder07
08-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Those are great! It's almost like you're there watching for yourself. Thanks for the post.

Galax Steeler
08-02-2010, 04:43 AM
That was a nice read thanks for sharing.

vrabinec
08-05-2010, 09:59 AM
vrabinec posted his notes at SF for several years. i extended him an invite a week or 2 ago, but so far it looks like he hasnt joined here yet.

lets hope he does, because his notes and attention to detail are top notch.

I don't remember an invite, but I'm glad I found some familiar names. The borads I was posting on last year are like a wasteland for some reason. I don't know what the hell happened to DratfSteel and SteelersFever.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words.

SteelerSal
08-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Welcome vrabinec!!
Looking forward to your posts!!

tony hipchest
08-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't remember an invite, but I'm glad I found some familiar names. The borads I was posting on last year are like a wasteland for some reason. I don't know what the hell happened to DratfSteel and SteelersFever.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words.
yeah, i sent you a PM letting you know there was an exodus. those who have extended invitations on the open forums have been met with a ban. glad youre posting here though. your camp notes give me "morning wood" before the season.

vrabinec
08-05-2010, 10:42 AM
yeah, i sent you a PM letting you know there was an exodus. those who have extended invitations on the open forums have been met with a ban. glad youre posting here though. your camp notes give me "morning wood" before the season.

I went back and saw you sent a message (I rarely look to see if I have messages, since most people just post whatever they wanna say on the board). Thanks for the invite.