PDA

View Full Version : A bit premature for draft day, but.......

Carl1970
03-11-2013, 02:14 PM
I know this may be a bit premature, but I read many posts about the Steelers trading down from 1-17 and picking up an additional 2nd or 3rd choice. Haven't seen anything about the possibility (although slim, considering their history) of trading up? Could they possibly dangle a player along with their 1-17 pick and get into the top 10? What do the experts on this forum think of landing a defensive potential future star like Mingo to play for the Black and Gold?

Also, a bit unrelated to this, but, as far as a RB would go (even amongst his character issues), how about going after Tampax Bay's LeGarrette Blount?(I'm sure ole Mel would love to see that name on the back of a Steelers jersey again!)

Dwinsgames
03-11-2013, 02:41 PM
I know this may be a bit premature, but I read many posts about the Steelers trading down from 1-17 and picking up an additional 2nd or 3rd choice. Haven't seen anything about the possibility (although slim, considering their history) of trading up? Could they possibly dangle a player along with their 1-17 pick and get into the top 10? What do the experts on this forum think of landing a defensive potential future star like Mingo to play for the Black and Gold?

Also, a bit unrelated to this, but, as far as a RB would go (even amongst his character issues), how about going after Tampax Bay's LeGarrette Blount?(I'm sure ole Mel would love to see that name on the back of a Steelers jersey again!)

highly doubt we trade up .... we will stand pat or move down for the right deal in this draft IMO ..

Mingo ... I am hot and cold on him to be honest

several pass rushers to contemplate really , 4 or 5 really good ones could be a target at 17 out of that group at least 1 will be there when we select considering I expect at the very least 3 tackles to go off before we pick probably a OG 1 maybe 2 QBs a couple corners and perhaps a Safety ... leaving all the other spots and the 5 guys I mention to take up 16 spots before we select ... we will get a really good football player at 17 and one at a Pos of need none the less ....

that being said I still like the thoughts or trading back 4-6 spots ( get an extra pick ) then trade back again if possible and gain another pick stockpiling 2nd and 3rd round picks would be a very good way to go on a depleted roster in need of young talent in a draft that really is full of second round talent from the late first to mid 3rd round IMO

TMC
03-11-2013, 02:44 PM
You have to weigh what you are giving up. This draft runs out of elite talent pretty quickly. Right now, the Steelers are out of the money at #17. It does not mean they will not have a group of idiots ahead of them draft bad players, but if the better players are taken, the guy they get at #17 likely won't be much better than the guy they get in the 2nd. So, trading up to get to those few elite guys could be costly. Trading down could be tough as well because teams also see there is not a significant difference between #17 and #35.

As always, hard to say which is the right move until you see who is on the board. Who would have though DeCastro would have been there last draft?

st33lersguy
03-11-2013, 03:40 PM

LeGarrette Blount is not a good football player, no way

Dino 6 Rings
03-11-2013, 04:42 PM
I'd like to see us trade up just to prove the seriousness of the front office to improve through the draft. We haven't traded up in a long time and made a 'splash' pick. Last time we even hinted at it is when we drafted Timmons, but had an opportunity to grab Revis if the Jets didn't jump above us to get him. We could have jumped up for that guy. Now, he's a locker room nightmare cause of his holding out...just pointing out, this new Tomlin Front Office doesn't seem to make "big splashes" at all on Draft day or in the Free Agency market. And personally, I think we should step up our game in that regard.

Dwinsgames
03-11-2013, 05:41 PM
I'd like to see us trade up just to prove the seriousness of the front office to improve through the draft. We haven't traded up in a long time and made a 'splash' pick. Last time we even hinted at it is when we drafted Timmons, but had an opportunity to grab Revis if the Jets didn't jump above us to get him. We could have jumped up for that guy. Now, he's a locker room nightmare cause of his holding out...just pointing out, this new Tomlin Front Office doesn't seem to make "big splashes" at all on Draft day or in the Free Agency market. And personally, I think we should step up our game in that regard.

trading up is NEVER cost effective , Trading down especially if done in increments is not only cost effective and gives you flexibility it also affords you to fill your roster out with talent you otherwise would not be able to gather ...

we need bodies on this team and we need talented ones ... the strength of this draft lies in the 2nd and 3rd rounds ( outside of the top 15-18 picks ) you get much past the mid 20's all the way through pick 60-68 and there is little to no drop in talent level for the most part ... the strength of the draft is without question round 2 and 3 and the teams that have the most picks in those rounds will be the teams that have the best drafts ( looking back in a few years ) ... we need all the picks in that part of the draft we can get IMO

TMC
03-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Here is how I view it. If you start with 7 picks, statistics show you are going to get 2.5 good players. If you trade up, spend 2 picks to move up (like with Troy), then you have 5 picks. That means you will get 1.75 good players. If you trade down and get 9 picks, you should get 3.15. The difference, statistically, is one full player that will dress for 80 games.

If you have a good draft and hit more, then it is even better. And, I just do not see a lot of "impact" players in this draft. Do you know why a guard is being projected in the top 10? Because it is devoid of RBs, WRs, QBs, corners, and other positions. This draft is weak at the top.

one side only
03-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Trading down makes sense in ths draft. The Rams have 2 first rounders, including #22 overall. The Dolphins have 2 picks in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Both potential trading partners, especially the Dolphins, who might want to make a splash in the draft as well as free agency by trading for an additional pick in the first round.

Dwinsgames
03-13-2013, 10:43 AM
You have to weigh what you are giving up. This draft runs out of elite talent pretty quickly. Right now, the Steelers are out of the money at #17. It does not mean they will not have a group of idiots ahead of them draft bad players, but if the better players are taken, the guy they get at #17 likely won't be much better than the guy they get in the 2nd. So, trading up to get to those few elite guys could be costly. Trading down could be tough as well because teams also see there is not a significant difference between #17 and #35.

As always, hard to say which is the right move until you see who is on the board. Who would have though DeCastro would have been there last draft?

I think it goes further down than that , I think the drop off does not become crystal clear until you get into the 60s from the 20s .... there is a large group of players that are nearly clones of one another from a talent perspective running quite deep into this draft from where I sit ...

but as always QBs will be the pivotal point in this draft on finding a trading partner to move down , someone will covet a QB and want to come back up and get him out of fear if they wait until 33-38 he will be gone - that is why I try and trade back to mid twenties then back again ... gain a couple picks in the process

TMC
03-13-2013, 11:04 AM
I think it goes further down than that , I think the drop off does not become crystal clear until you get into the 60s from the 20s .... there is a large group of players that are nearly clones of one another from a talent perspective running quite deep into this draft from where I sit ...

but as always QBs will be the pivotal point in this draft on finding a trading partner to move down , someone will covet a QB and want to come back up and get him out of fear if they wait until 33-38 he will be gone - that is why I try and trade back to mid twenties then back again ... gain a couple picks in the process

Not stating it does not go deeper, just giving an example. What I am seeing is pockets of talent. You have a top group, then a 2nd group, then a little under them is another group. The top group has some distance, but the groups that follow are pretty close. To me, and I am not completely through watching all the film, still have 200 players left to watch, this group is pretty blah.

Dwinsgames
03-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Not stating it does not go deeper, just giving an example. What I am seeing is pockets of talent. You have a top group, then a 2nd group, then a little under them is another group. The top group has some distance, but the groups that follow are pretty close. To me, and I am not completely through watching all the film, still have 200 players left to watch, this group is pretty blah.

fair enough ...

Psycho Ward 86
03-13-2013, 12:20 PM
trading up is NEVER cost effective

absolutes arent always correct. trading up for troy sure paid its dividends

Dwinsgames
03-13-2013, 02:57 PM
absolutes arent always correct. trading up for troy sure paid its dividends

how can you be sure ?

we have no clue who we would have taken with the picks we used to go up and get him , nor do we know for certain he would not have been there when our original pick came into play... those things we will never know for sure